Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 33s33 seconds ago
Gates says other evidence includes #Garland arrest. Cuts on head, Liknes DNA on shoe #yyc

Raffy BoudjikanianVerified account ‏@CBCRaffy 34s34 seconds ago
Alvin Likness DNA found on #Garland shoes: judge Gates as he reminds jury of some evidence.

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 52s52 seconds ago
Gates: DNA of Alvin Liknes found on #Garland's shoes, seized by police July 4/14

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 1m1 minute ago
Alvin Liknes DNA found on tongue of shoes seized from #Garland at his arrest: Gates #yyc

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 1m1 minute ago
Gates: consider injuries to #Garland in these photos of initial arrest Jul 4/14

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 45s46 seconds ago
While #Garland had two injuries to his head when arrested July 4, 2014, they weren't seen by receptionist at doctor's on June 30, says Gates

[video=twitter;831955994229903360]https://twitter.com/CTVInaSidhu/status/831955994229903360[/video]

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 35s36 seconds ago
Gates: I now want to turn to "opportunity" #Garland

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Gates done going through some of the evidence jurors may consider important when deliberating case. #Garland

Raffy BoudjikanianVerified account ‏@CBCRaffy 48s48 seconds ago
Gates says jury cannot find #Garland guilty based on opportunity alone.

Judge now going over evidence of opportunity. #Garland

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 1m1 minute ago
Gates: motive is not essential element crown must prove #Garland

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 59s59 seconds ago
Gates now going over evidence of opportunity in #Garland case, including CCTV footage

Ina SidhuVerified account ‏@CTVInaSidhu 44s44 seconds ago
Gates: consider CCTV footage gathered from homes and businesses around the Liknes home #garland

When considering opportunity jurors will have to look at CCTV footage Crown contends captures Garland's truck near Liknes home. #Garland

Nancy HixtVerified account ‏@NancyHixt 1m1 minute ago
CCTV of green Ford F-150 didn't show the driver, Gates tells jurors

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 49s49 seconds ago
Jurors will have to decide for themselves whether CCTV footage from around Liknes home and nearby businesses shows Garland's truck. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 57s57 seconds ago
Gates reminds of expert witness who testified bloody footprints at Liknes home matched tread of Dr. Scholls Delta 2 W13 shoes #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 23s23 seconds ago
Gates tells jurors they will have to decide if the truck in the CCTV footages is in fact the #Garland truck #yyc

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 42s43 seconds ago
Gates says they must answer each question on the "decision trees" he has provided them when making their decisions. #Garland #yyc

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 43s44 seconds ago
"The Crown urges you to conclude that all this evidence ... shows that Mr. Garland had the opportunity to commit these crimes." #Garland

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 25s26 seconds ago
Gates: jurors must decide if it is #Garland driving the green truck spotted on Liknes streets June 30 '14. CCTV doesn't show driver

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 27s28 seconds ago
This is a lengthy charge to the #Garland jury. At 1:15 pm Justice Gates has adjourned until 2:30 pm. Will resume at that point.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 37s38 seconds ago
Justice Gates taking lunch break. Jurors back at 2:30. #Garland

Lucie Edwardson ‏@MetroLucie 47s48 seconds ago
#Garland trial taking lunch until 2:30

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 45s46 seconds ago
Lunch break now until 2:30 #Garland

I feel bad for the juror that had to sit through all of this evidence and this charge and is going to be sent home at the end of today. I imagine it would be such a horrible feeling to not see this through.

In your trials, do they always go through all these details for the jury? And Judge gives them a "decision tree" to assist in their verdict. This is amazing.

Do the jurors get to take notes throughout the trial that they can take to juror deliberations?

Cuts on Garland's face were not seen at doctor's office on June 30th, but were evident on July 4th. Could at least one victim still have had some fight left in them at the farm...?

What a lot for the jury to have to sit through in one day. It is almost like going through the entire trial all over again. I am exhausted, and we aren't even done.

Thank you JadeSL!

I am baffled that the judge didn't address the kidnapping/unlawful confinement - he did not say that was a path to 1st degree murder, only the intent/deliberate act. He didn't say it was NOT an option either - just didn't mention it? Or did I miss something? That's a crucial piece of info!! Even if Garland didn't plan to kill NO, if he was killed during what the jury believes was unlawful confinement or kidnapping (BOTH of these are put forward by the Crown), then that's 1st degree. What am I missing?

Answers to Spellbound

Yes, similar although most trials aren't tweeted. I've heard of the decision tree before, no idea how long it's been around tho.

Notes, yes I believe so.

I suppose but many other possibilities exist as well. The cuts looked like he got stuck in a barbwire fence to me. Maybe he went on a bender.

Yes, and all that evidence was recapped in the closing statements only the day before yesterday. Very thorough.

I am baffled that the judge didn't address the kidnapping/unlawful confinement - he did not say that was a path to 1st degree murder, only the intent/deliberate act. He didn't say it was NOT an option either - just didn't mention it? Or did I miss something? That's a crucial piece of info!! Even if Garland didn't plan to kill NO, if he was killed during what the jury believes was unlawful confinement or kidnapping (BOTH of these are put forward by the Crown), then that's 1st degree. What am I missing?

Look at it this way - of the following, what's more serious
To plan to kill someone?
or
To plan to kidnap and confine someone? And so happens they get killed.

Because those are the two different types of 1st Degree murder charges.

Maybe you're comparing this case to the Bosma case? If so, the two are different. Here there's a ton of evidence proving planning and deliberate intention to murder in the Garland case.

I'm not sure that he has gone over his decision trees yet. And he definitely hasn't brought up anything regarding Nathan's charges yet.

I think he may be going through the charges separately, the murder options now, and perhaps the kidnapping after the break.

Answers to Spellbound

Yes, similar although most trials aren't tweeted. I've heard of the decision tree before, no idea how long it's been around tho.

Notes, yes I believe so.

I suppose but many other possibilities exist as well. The cuts looked like he got stuck in a barbwire fence to me. Maybe he went on a bender.

Yes, and all that evidence was recapped in the closing statements only the day before yesterday. Very thorough.

Thank You for all the answers! The jury is sureky well-prepared once they begin deliberations.

I sound like a broken record, but what a fantastic court system you have. I cannot believe you have as many cases where it seems a likely murderer is on trial and the jury finds them not guilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop