Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #27

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally caught up. Thank's JadeSleuth, you are doing an awesome job!

I think we will see a verdict by mid day tomorrow. By the time they get the case and sort themselves out, I don't believe it's possible to come to a verdict today, although you never know.

I left the house to walk my dogs right after the Becky Watts jury began deliberations and I was worried about the female defendant. I thought the jury might get hung up on her and some of the "lack of evidence". I came back and hopped on the computer to see what we were all talking about and the verdict was just coming in. I was shocked.

Time to "git her done" and put this where he deserves to be for the rest of his life.

Just waiting for the articles on "what the jury didn't hear". Those articles are already written. They just need to hit the "post" button.

Ugh, sorry, I'm at work and clandestinely following and responding... I should know better than to work and type 

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Haha. I hear that. I wonder how many people are at work in Calgary following right now.

Haha. I hear that. I wonder how many people are at work in Calgary following right now.

Well we know a lot are following here; so imagine how many are following reporter(s) on twitter for trial updates .... thousands

Meghan GrantVerified account ‏@CBCMeg 1m1 minute ago
Another delay in #Garland jury charge. Once the judge resumes, should take about 90 minutes to finish

I've been on the road most of the day in Toronto. Driving the dreaded 401 from one end of the City to the other while Tapatalk and Twitter dinged and bleeped. I had my phone positioned so I could follow. My friends think I'm crazy. Anyway, I'm home now and can follow without worry of a 10 care pile up.

Kevin MartinVerified account ‏@KMartinCourts 1m1 minute ago
Still haven't started afternoon session in #Garland. No word on why the delay.

Lucas MeyerVerified account ‏@meyer_lucas 1m1 minute ago
Still haven't resumed #Garland trial. Was scheduled for 2:30 #yyc

JadeSleuth ... or anyone else following twitter.... who should I follow on twitter to watch for the verdict if I was to follow just one reporter? I don't want to follow all of them lol But would like to be able to know/check quickly while at work tomorrow :)
You should follow on WS, of course ☺️! It is my experience that there is some warning/time before the verdict so that family, counsel and media can assemble. You shouldn't be caught off guard, if that's your concern. Though, that also applies if the jury comes back with a question. It can be a really exciting on verdict watch.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Bill GravelandVerified account ‏@BillGraveland 2m2 minutes ago
We were supposed to see a resumption of the charge to the #Garland jury by Justice David Gates at 2:30 pm. No word on why there's a delay.

Dangerous Offender status .... FOREVER sentence.

:please:

I am so confused by your "Dangerous Offender" status and sentencing. Can the "indeterminate sentence" actually be forever? (rest of natural life) Or would there come a time the person could seek parole? I am hoping for the sentence to be the longest possible and the rest of his natural life, and whatever gives that is fine with me.

Where an offender is designated by the court as a Dangerous Offender, the offender may be sentenced to an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment.

• Once designated as a Dangerous Offender, the court will impose a sentence that must ensure public safety, which can be either;
    • An indeterminate sentence of imprisonment, with no chance of parole for 7 years;
    • A regular sentence of imprisonment for the offence, plus a Long-term Supervision Order in the community of up to 10 years after the regular sentence has expired; or,
    • A regular sentence of imprisonment for the offence.
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/...nst-hgh-rsk-ffndrs/dngrs-ffndr-dsgntn-en.aspx

I am so confused by your "Dangerous Offender" status and sentencing. Can the "indeterminate sentence" actually be forever? (rest of natural life) Or would there come a time the person could seek parole? I am hoping for the sentence to be the longest possible and the rest of his natural life, and whatever gives that is fine with me.

Where an offender is designated by the court as a Dangerous Offender, the offender may be sentenced to an indeterminate sentence of imprisonment.

• Once designated as a Dangerous Offender, the court will impose a sentence that must ensure public safety, which can be either;
    • An indeterminate sentence of imprisonment, with no chance of parole for 7 years;
    • A regular sentence of imprisonment for the offence, plus a Long-term Supervision Order in the community of up to 10 years after the regular sentence has expired; or,
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/...nst-hgh-rsk-ffndrs/dngrs-ffndr-dsgntn-en.aspx

Yup....it can be forever. Paul Bernardo will NEVER get out of jail. He is a Dangerous Offender. Was Clifford Olson a DO?

My only input to offer is the Bernardo case - https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...awyer-for-victims-families-vows-to-fight.html
The rest is just stuff I think I know, so I will keep that out of here.

Finally caught up. Thanks Jade and all who posted.

Yes, it can be forever, but it's not set in stone "forever". It just means that if someone is given the dangerous offender designation, they can be held for an indeterminate amount of time - but it does not mean they are never getting out for sure. Bernardo, as others have stated, could get out at some point, but they don't ever have to let him out and don't have to offer him parole. But the same applies really to life in prison for 1st degree murder - you don't automatically get out after 25 years, you're only eligible for parole after 25 - and they may not give it to you. So, life could actually mean life.

sweet baby jesus i thought i was on a time out, tapatalk is having issues. I had to bust out the lap top. That was scary!!!!!! how hard it was to remember my password. i need wine.

Canada

In Canadian criminal law, a convicted person who is designated a dangerous offender may be subjected to an indeterminate prison sentence, whether or not the crime carries a life sentence, but this does not apply to convictions of first degree murder, second degree murder, high treason, and treason.[1]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_offender

Maybe then this not correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members