Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that police are going to discourage the family from posting a reward so soon after the disappearance, as it could lead to an awful lot of false leads and waste valuable police resources. In my opinion, the family should give police time to do the investigation. Additionally, posting a reward seems to imply that the family, although desperate for the return of their son, is convinced that this was a kidnapping where money is the objective. I'm not convinced of that.

exactly what has been posted by Metro

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...uld-lead-to-surge-of-bogus-tips-police-chief/

Unfortunately, I am hoping there is no reward announced today. I don't think a reward will solve this crime.

Some random thoughts as I catch up:
Who would clean up blood? Someone who wanted to buy themselves time and put distance between themselves and the scene.
Who would take bodies? Someone staging a kidnapping.
Where is Nathan's passport?
Where is A'S brother's vehicle?
Has there been a ransom demand and we have just not heard about it?
And again, what on earth did mom see when she went to pick up Nathan that brought the police so quickly? I can imagine they'd request she checked the park, called family, etc. and then attend?

I have read that the neighbours saw N playing in the L's backyard on Sunday afternoon.

So, did JO drop N off at 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning, which, imo, makes more sense than 10:00 p.m. Sunday evening.

If this is the case, hopefully, the media will correct the timeline.

moo

I have not seen or heard anything about the Calgary Police Services K9 unit? I can imagine it would be a tracking nightmare with the estate sale all weekend and family in and out.

Also, it's been reported that Nathan is 3' tall. If that is accurate, he is a very small 5-year-old boy (same height, hair and eye colour as Haleigh Cummings, coincidentally). Now the 5-year-olds I know are notoriously good hiders. I know it's a long shot but I hope the home has been searched with a fine tooth comb. Maybe the perps were, in fact, strangers and did not know Nathan was there. The house is large - the child could have been sleeping in a separate room if they were ambushed in the middle of the night.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2014/07/01/21778816.html

"The plea comes from a father in perhaps the most helpless position a parent can imagine: his son is gone, and no one seems to know where, or why.

“Everybody in Calgary, and the surrounding area, please keep your eyes open,” says O’Brien.

He then expresses gratitude for what people have done so far, and the support shown to the family, though there’s no answer yet.

“I want to thank the public for helping us,” he says.

The passing hours are agony."

I have read that the neighbours saw N playing in the L's backyard on Sunday afternoon.

So, did JO drop N off at 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning, which, imo, makes more sense than 10:00 p.m. Sunday evening.

If this is the case, hopefully, the media will correct the timeline.

moo

I think the latest is that mom and Nathan (and possibly others) were there during the day/evening. Mom left Nathan there for the sleepover and she returned to her home 20min. away. The verb 'dropped off' was incorrect.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/A...+mystery+their+hands+VIDEO/9989542/story.html

" Here's what we know so far about the suspicious disappearances.

* Police don't have any significant leads and don't know where the trio might be.

* Five-year-old Nathan O'Brien was last seen at his grandparents' home on Sunday night.

* On Monday evening, police issued an Amber Alert for Nathan and his grandparents, Alvin and Kathryn Liknes. They think foul play is involved because the disappearance is out of character.

* Police say there is evidence that the three didn't leave the Liknes' home in Parkhill voluntarily. The grandparents aren't being treated as suspects and all of the Liknes' cars have been accounted for.

* Alvin and Kathryn Liknes held an estate sale over the weekend. Neighbours say the couple was talking about moving to Mexico. They were selling nearly everything in the home"

I could interpret this snippet from one of the Kijiji ads as one of them has been regularly sleeping on the couch. Not napping on the sofa, but actually pulling out the bed to sleep:
"Couch is comfy and the bed is great, I have had many great sleeps on it. "
Then again, it could mean nothing - looks like it's in the basement - assume it's cooler there in summer; they could both have been sleeping there together. Could be one snores or was working shifts, etc....

I could interpret this snippet from one of the Kijiji ads as one of them has been regularly sleeping on the couch. Not napping on the sofa, but actually pulling out the bed to sleep:
"Couch is comfy and the bed is great, I have had many great sleeps on it. "
Then again, it could mean nothing - looks like it's in the basement - assume it's cooler there in summer; they could both have been sleeping there together. Could be one snores or was working shifts, etc....

You could be right. But it may not mean anything even if someone was sleeping on a pull-out regularly. Both sets of my grandparents have always slept separately since I was a child... for comfort reasons (snoring, sharing a bed, whatever the issue was.) I think many times it is common for older couples to sleep separately. Maybe not, maybe my grandparents both had an odd habit ;)

I believe the time of the crime was shortly after Nathan was dropped off, between 10 p.m and Midnight.

The reason I think is for 1 reason only- I believe at least 3 lights were on the next day when LE arrived to process the scene.

In pictures I have posted on this thread:

-The dining room chandelier is turned on

-The front hallway light is turned on

-The exterior porch light is turned on

In this picture, you can see LE processing the front entrance where the hall and exterior lights are on. BOTH light switches are on. I believe LE has left the scene as is to process. I DO NOT believe the Liknes' would leave these lights on overnight.

JMO

attachment.php

http://www.630ched.com/2014/07/02/b...big-results-in-amber-alert-case-police-chief/

"Police Chief Rick Hanson a reward will bring in more tips, but that doesn’t mean they’re helpful.

“If there’s a lot of money that’s created for a reward, frequently it increases the workload because you’ve got all kinds of people that step forward with information that may not even be related to it.”

Hanson adds that the case is an unusual one but says there are dozens of people working hard to find the trio. In the meantime, investigators want to talk to anyone who may have been at the couples’ estate sale."

So, going with the Estate sale robbery theory, what if shortly after Nathan's Mom dropped him off, using the excuse that the sign was still up in the doorway to come on in, the thieves actually did walk right in, or came at that time of night, knocked, said they were interested in looking around, is the sale still on, the Liknes let them in, thieves tried to rob them, things got ugly, thieves panicked when someone was injured, so the thieves took them all with them, not knowing what to do?

If there is a vehicle involved, I am highly expecting that LE has the vehicle on video, as there are way too many homes that would have surveillance in that area I am thinking.

JMO

Nathan has been abducted, and his grandparents are considered missing.

It really is that simple.

LE are really not sure about this case, BUT, I am VERY thankful that they have issued the Amber Alert, albeit in a non-traditional way, despite the circumstances clearly not fitting the Amber Alert criteria.

According to the Amber Alert issued Monday afternoon, he has been abducted. Nathan was last seen in the area of Macleod Trail, a major road in southwest Calgary.

The boy's grandfather, Alvin Liknes, 66, has grey-blond hair and was last seen wearing black sports shorts. He walks with a slight limp. His wife, Kathryn Liknes, 53, has red-brown hair and green eyes and was last seen wearing pyjamas. Both are considered missing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ssing-as-amber-alert-remains-active-1.2693188

Good catch on the lights, Wondergirl! I think what you said makes total sense.

I have another question that others have been speculating on. In the YT vid above that the
wonderful dotr posted, LE says that Mom dropped Nathan off at 10PM.

Other reports say she was at the house during the day via witness statements. Did she leave and then bring Nathan back at 10PM?

Excellent analysis Wondergirl! The lights on at the door and the porch light on tell a story. This happened in the evening when they were awake. This story is so horrible. I'm happy it's still an amber alert too.

Reward to be announced by the Calgary Police Department in the next 48 hours.

In an email to CTV Calgary late Tuesday, Rod O’Brien, father of five-year-old Nathan, said that the reward will be announced Wednesday through the Calgary Police Department.

“Should get the world’s attention to get Nathan home,” he wrote.

Rod O’Brien did not to elaborate on the details of the investigation, but said he is working with Calgary police, and may have more information to provide in the next 48 hours.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/family-of...for-their-safe-return-1.1894397#ixzz36KX4jn5y

Nathan has been abducted, and his grandparents are considered missing.

It really is that simple.

LE are really not sure about this case, BUT, I am VERY thankful that they have issued the Amber Alert, albeit in a non-traditional way, despite the circumstances clearly not fitting the Amber Alert criteria.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ssing-as-amber-alert-remains-active-1.2693188

Sadly, for this entire family, the only chance there is of Nathan still being alive IMO is if he is in the company of his grandparents, just one grandparent, or another family member.

A robbery gone wrong? A child predator? A home invasion? Unless there has been a ransom demand that we have not heard about, no stranger perp has much interest in the feeding and care a 5-year-old child after a crime has been committed.

It's so terrible but I hope this is domestic somehow.

If there were strange vehicles in the Liknes' driveway, at odd hours, etc., I believe, given the fact that whole neighbourhood knew they were moving, having their big estate sale, that nobody would have batted an eyelash, and that MAY have affected the neighbours not paying attention to what was going on - AFTERALL it WAS an unusual weekend of activity at the Liknes'

If strangers were loading household items or OTHER THINGS into their vehicle, the neighbours would not likely have paid much attention at all, given the Estate Sale.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member