Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look on RO's fb, he has changed his cover photo to one of who I believe is his dad and it looks as if he is wearing a RCMP uniform. Mods, please delete if I'm not allowed to post this. Thanks!

What you say is true and is not against TOS to summarize in our own words (not copy verbatim). It's been asked and answered factually a couple of times.

Simply put ... RO has the pic on his FB. Someone comments that it is a nice pic of his Dad, and someone else comments that they are sure his Dad is watching over everyone.

This is a minor observation, but, it really is quite telling in the grand scheme of things.

The fact that a court sketch artist was there for the very minor charge against DG today, exemplifies the enormity of the situation.

What will happen if no charges are laid, and DG is released on Wednesday?

I definitely agree they are limiting their online presence. And maybe there is nothing behind it. I just feel like if they had no information they would be spreading the word as much as they could to try and keep information coming in.

Also I suppose they may also be posting things that aren't public.

In other highly publicized missing person cases are there not usually more PC's and more pleas from the family members to find the missing. Just thinking of the Tori Stafford case and Tim Bosma too. I have to wonder if there is reason there have not been more pleas publicly in this case? Anybody have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What we had here was discussion of a reward of $100,000 the day after they were reported missing. Was there a premonition that money would solve the problem?

Why would he comment if he didn't know? .

We don't know exactly what "he" said, or when he said it. I expect that the senior Garlands are probably fine and have been relocated during the search of the farm. LE likely have interviewed them already about the happenings on the farm prior to their "camping" trip.

But we don't know that for sure.

I've been wondering - why are they grid searching the fields? Certainly they don't expect to find graves there or bodies (sorry) ? What could possibly be found in the fields that could lead them to OB and his grandparents, or tie DG to the crime? Belongings/clothing of the missing persons?

I'm wondering if LE is trying to "locate" DG's parents. Some have posted that they're 'camping'. But I can't find any media reports saying this and they are conspicuously absent.

I have a question. I haven't been able to go through all of the last thread and the first 22 pages of this one:

If Douglas Garland is known to family and things were a lot clearer to LE at the second press conference, why didn't they know that the green truck was his and/or where he lived? Why did the truck have to be identified by the public? Why couldn't the family identify the truck/the owner/the location? I realize that it's being reported that it's his sister who has 'friended' J&R O'Briend, etc. But given the circumstances (common-law relationship to AL's son) wouldn't the family, in general, be acquainted with Douglas Garland (and by extension his identifiable truck?)

Sorry if this has been mentioned; I hadn't seen this so clearly put yet (I know it's the daily mail but sometimes they really are on these cases):
"Police also were able to confirm the worst news of all.

'A violent crime happened in that residence,' Andrus said, according to the CBC.

Despite this declaration, Andrus added 'we remain hopeful that we will find them alive, but, based on the evidence, I would say someone would be in medical distress.

Calgary Police and the young boy's parents have also now begun asking anyone who attended an estate sale last weekend to provide fingerprints, said Andrus. Those are being run against evidence already collected."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dparents-taken-questioning-disappearance.html

They also had a photo from the moving sale- I had imagined a garage sale but in reality there was a big sign on the front door that said "Sale- Come On In!" Gives me the creeps.

Finally, they would be able to test the blood at the scene, right? Find out if it was indeed grandma or grandpa?

Indeed. They would be able to profile each victim, i.e., by blood type (and sex?)

I've been wondering - why are they grid searching the fields? Certainly they don't expect to find graves there or bodies (sorry) ? What could possibly be found in the fields that could lead them to OB and his grandparents, or tie DG to the crime? Belongings/clothing of the missing persons?

They could be looking for graves/burnt or disturbed land. I noticed that the searchers were not standing extremely close to each other as they swept the fields. It also seemed as though they were able to cover a few large areas in a relatively short amount of time. This tells me that they were probably not looking for teeny tiny clues.

Someone asked up thread what a white flag meant. I'm not familiar with LE "survey" flags. However, a white survey flag outside of LE means "excavate". Not that that is what is meant in this instance. Just sharing what I know.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3663421959001#3663439720001

Sun News: Prime Time

Missing Calgary Family Mystery

July 7, 2014 20:42

Transcript
Rough Draft
This is not an official transcript, and is not connected to any of the persons involved.
All errors are my own.

News Anchor Michael Coren = MC Correspondent = Marc Patrone

Opens with a clip from Press Conference, Rod O'Brien speaking

RO Nathan, God is taking care of your soul. Mom and Dad need you to be brave right now.
To whoever has Nathan: Please find it in your heart to drop off our little angel, Nathan, to which he can be rescued and reunited with his brothers and with his family.
To the public: Our son and family could be anywhere right now. If you have any information, anything at all, please contact the police.

MC Terrible. Just is horrible, horrible stuff. Two adults and their five year old grandson are still missing in Calgary. It really is a terrible story with numerous twists and turns actually. Marc Patrone is a Sun News contributor, and he joins us from Calgary, and, give us the skeleton of this story if you would please.

MP Well, the very latest, Michael, is that Douglas Garland, who is considered "not a suspect" at this point but very much a "person of interest", has been remanded in custody until Wednesday. But this is very much on a matter unrelated to the disappearance of these three people. But he was in court today, and it's just part of a, of a real mystery. Back to June 29th when these three people, just uh-- grandparents and 5 year old Nathan. Some time between the evening of June 29th and the morning after, about 10 o'clock, the three went missing. And there was an Amber Alert that went out of course. There's been an international level of interest in this case. And police are still involved in trying to hunt down where these people are and find out what happened.

MC Right. Now, correct me please if I'm wrong, but what we're hearing here in Toronto is that this person you describe as being a "person of interest" and not a suspect directly was involved in drugs, the manufacture of drugs. Is this true?

MP This person is being touted as a kind of criminal mastermind in certain respects. One of these people who tends to straddle the line between being extremely intelligent---

MC Yeah.

MP --being extremely unstable at the same time, and we've seen that throughout his history as we consider the number of mental breakdowns. But yes, indeed, he was involved in drugs at the very location in which we saw in Airdrie, and continue to see, the search for possible clues.

MC Right.

MP He went on the run from police from a period after a drug raid in 1992, he disappeared.

MC OK

MP He took on the identity of a 14 year old who had been deceased for a number of years and lived, pretty much on the lam, in British Columbia. He was finally arrested in 1999.

MC Let me just interrupt you there if I may. Did--the police wouldn't have been interested in him without any context. Is it true that the family know him?

MP Yeah. There is, in fact, some, a relation involving Garland. His sister is involved in a common-law relationship with a member of the Liknes family. That's the connection, Michael.

MC Right. You know, it's always very dangerous to speculate. These people can't defend themselves, they can't explain what is going on, they're just going through a living hell. But, of course, if one begins to imagine and wonder is there's some sort of connection. Two people and the grandchild just disappearing like this. This--this is not an everyday crime or occurrence. And is it also true that at the scene of the crime, there's a scene, there's an example of violence and there's blood to be found?

MP Yeah. There was blood on the scene. There were also reports, unsubstantiated, that there was a blood trail from the house leading onto the street. The connection, the other connection of course, was the green Ford F150 which had been spotted in the area of the Liknes home which was linked to the Airdrie property. And that's really where the, where the police made the connection and eventually brought in a huge contingent of officers, a police dog, a motor boat, and the rest of it. And they continue to remain on the scene looking for clues.

MC All right. Well, I--by golly. Let's just hope and pray it all works out for these poor people. It is very complex and involved and it's impossible not to wonder what is going on. Appreciate your time. Thank you very much indeed.

MP You're welcome Michael.

I think this is where that came in? A guy who knows their pastor says they are as good as to be expected?

I think I'm confuzzled..Not sure of this post SD. Are you questioning me or answering me something else? :) I was the first to link that DG's parents are alive (page 15, post #371), as someone posted they were worried about them. I found a tweet from BMacF and posted it. Then someone (IIRC kittymeow) later posted DG's parents were ok and mod ColdPizza asked them for a link. I was just linking for mod. I think it's time to walk the dog and get some fresh air. ;) You're doing a great job SD!

JO is Nathan's bio mom. At the presser, RO stated Nathan is their first born son (together). I understand RO has an older son from a prior relationship.

Can someone confirm whether JO is Nathans step mom as I read previously on WS some reference to Nathans biological Mom being someone else. If this is the case why has Nathan's bio Mum not made a plea? I do find the lack of info and pleas from family and police telling?

JO is NO's biological mom. Where did you see reference suggesting otherwise?

It might just be that there are a plethora of steps in this family - step-dads, step-grandchildren, etc. (And some of us have been surprised by this as LE was insistent from the beginning that there were no custody issues so we may have assumed there were not as many remarriages).

But yes, JO is Nathan's mother. She is a step-mother to Nathan's older brother, L.

JO is Nathan's bio mom. At the presser, RO stated Nathan is their first born son (together). I understand RO has an older son from a prior relationship.

Thank you for the clarification Boosmom. As indicated I was not sure but I see I am wrong and now undesand RO had an older son prior to relationship with JO.

Can someone confirm whether JO is Nathans step mom as I read previously on WS some reference to Nathans biological Mom being someone else. If this is the case why has Nathan's bio Mom not made a plea? I do find the lack of info and pleas from family and police telling?

JO and RO are Nathan's biological parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
serge