Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was said that DG used fake ID on July 4, do we know what that was? Where it was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember which one, but there was I think one of the reporter's "tweets" that said DG was in possession of an I.D. that he used before. ( Paraphrasing) Maybe someone else remembers that?

I hear of this business venture between AL and DG, and apparently it went bad,.. Seems everyone seems to assume that AL owed DG money... What if DG owed AL?

Great thinking. Yes it could have been the other way around and maybe the two arranged for DG to show up that day/eve with a payment. Instead he came prepared for other things.

As for sleuthing out the business AL and DG got into together, maybe it never took flight. One put down all the money for the two of them and it failed, leaving the other holding the bag. Do we seriously think AL would have gone into business with a career criminal though? JMO but I bet it was prior to 1992 when DG would have been 32 and AL 44 years of age. Maybe that is why he started trying to make illegal substances/drugs. To pay off his debt to AL? I know this may not seem logical but IMO someone driving an old Ford pickup doesn't speak of wealth. But then look at Dellen M's father. He also drove around an old pickup but he had money... Just thinking. And from the overhead helicopter videos, it doesn't appear as if there are any expensive vehicles on the property he may have owned, just an old model BMW and a Ford wagon which may not have belonged to DG. All MOO.

It seems odd that they'd be involved together in ANY type of business venture. Would DG have had any money to invest? I think it rather unlikely. I can't imagine that AL would want a fugitive, with a criminal record, who was mentally unstable, to go into a business with him.

I agree it is odd. BUT, DG's sister is connected. It could have been along the lines of "my brother wants a second chance, can you help him?" If he had been on his "best behaviour" and AL was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, seeing potential--whatever--then maybe it isn't so unbelievable that they were once in business. DG has a chemistry background, so maybe he needed capital for some venture, or just someone who was business savvy. Or it could be that AL wanted investors and the investment/company went bust.

I don't remember which one, but there was I think one of the reporter's "tweets" that said DG was in possession of an I.D. that he used before. ( Paraphrasing) Maybe someone else remembers that?

but has been charged over the recent use of a stolen identity which he had used during the 1990s while evading police on drug charges in Vancouver.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2698568

If DG's parents were "missing", we would have heard about it by now, and they would be investigating their whereabouts along with NO and his grandparents. The LE knows they are fine, or the media would be all over this like bees to honey.

Families can have a funny way of excusing each other's pasts. We see DG one way but he could have been seen by his family as a smart, quirky guy who screwed up when he was younger and ended up paying the price. They could have even pitied him for the trauma he suffered due to his car accident. He did his time. He was no longer a fugitive. I can think of a few reasons that AL would have chosen him to be a business partner.

If he stood out to the family as being completely unstable and dangerous, I'd think that LE would have been paying him a visit on Monday or Tuesday rather than Friday.

Judging by the long list of businesses and MLM that AL and KL have been associated with, it does not surprise me that they were willing to go into business with DG.

By the way, I rarely post but I lurk frequently and I want to say that I really appreciate everybody, especially the locals, keeping this thread alive and up-to-date with fresh information. Sweet Nathan (and his grandparents) deserves to be found. This case is really getting to me because I have a little blonde haired, blue eyed son, myself. I just cannot imagine what this family is going through right now.

What you say is true and is not against TOS to summarize in our own words (not copy verbatim). It's been asked and answered factually a couple of times.

Simply put ... RO has the pic on his FB. Someone comments that it is a nice pic of his Dad, and someone else comments that they are sure his Dad is watching over everyone.
Thank you! I am always paranoid about the rules and if I'm following them. I thought maybe it fell under sleuthing family or something - but again thanks for the clarification

Judging by the long list of businesses and MLM that AL and KL have been associated with, it does not surprise me that they were willing to go into business with DG.

By the way, I rarely post but I lurk frequently and I want to say that I really appreciate everybody, especially the locals, keeping this thread alive and up-to-date with fresh information. Sweet Nathan (and his grandparents) deserves to be found. This case is really getting to me because I have a little blonde haired, blue eyed son, myself. I just cannot imagine what this family is going through right now.

BBM. So do I. (Nathan has brown eyes though). My son is a few months older than Nathan.

I'm a teacher so I keep thinking of Nathan's kindergarten classmates. This just can't end badly; how would those parents even begin to explain to their children what has happened to their friend?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/07/douglas-garland_n_5564316.html?utm_hp_ref=alberta-crime

I am thinking the scenario previously discussed that AL potentially could have called DG for help that fateful evening does not wash anymore. If AL had created a problem within the home and needed assistance with dealing with it and contacted DG, then DG would by now have come clean with LE because he would not want to be held responsible for something he may not have done. So, if DG is involved and caused the crisis within the home then he likely has disposed of evidence and in truth may feel confident it wont be discovered and wont talk which is why LE had to get him on something and luckily they found the ID offence. Sadly by the searches this may be the end result of no discovery. I hate to write this.

Also, DG has not retained a lawyer as yet. It would not surprise me if he represented himself if this goes to trial as he represented himself previously within the judicial system and apparently did well enough doing so.

I think its pretty clear this is a recovery operation. LE aren't in the weeds and the fields looking for a live threesome. I also think they are in a difficult position thanks to the estate sale, so hard to pick out one person or show they had no need to be at the house if fingerprints are found.

This may stay unsolved not because they don't have their man but without a smoking gun there is just no way to "place" him there for nefarious purposes. If you put the pieces together of what has been made public and the enormous resources into the search at the property, they are pretty certain DG is the perp.

I think its pretty clear this is a recovery operation. LE aren't in the weeds and the fields looking for a live threesome. I also think they are in a difficult position thanks to the estate sale, so hard to pick out one person or show they had no need to be at the house if fingerprints are found.

This may stay unsolved not because they don't have their man but without a smoking gun there is just no way to "place" him there for nefarious purposes. If you put the pieces together of what has been made public and the enormous resources into the search at the property, they are pretty certain DG is the perp.

Agreed. I only hope LE find the evidence but I am concerned.

I'm on my phone so it's a little hard to find the link now but I recall a google search brings up an obit wherein DG's mother leaves a condolence on behalf of a group of church ladies. There may also be a few other mentions of church activities under this same search.

Searching Douglas Garland leads to a link where there are sermons. That leads to a church in Airdrie.

I'm thinking Doug was waiting until Nathan's mom left and then he went in. I wonder if he visited the home during the day at all or was he just driving by to spy on what was going on that weekend?

I think its pretty clear this is a recovery operation. LE aren't in the weeds and the fields looking for a live threesome. .

I hate to be morbid, and I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but since DG was a chemist who once ran a clandestine meth lab, I am wondering if he used a similar method of getting rid of bodies as a popular fictional meth-manufacturer, Walter White from Breaking Bad. Whenever they needed to dispose of a body in that show they dissolved it with hydrofluoric acid...

Oh my, LoyalSleuth. Good thinking. I have wondered why DG would let himself get involved if he is not the perp. JMO but I have been trying to settle that in my mind.

It seems to me that if Douglas Garland owed Alvin Liknes money, Alvin would have been on Doug's doorstep on the eve of his having an estate sale and leaving the country. Instead, it was most likely Douglas on Alvin's doorstep. We know that on the night of the murder a well preserved early 1990s green Ford T150 with a familial connection was circiling the block. Police seem very determined to find a connection now that all roads lead to the Garland properties. If it is true that there was a business connection, per some reports, then the connections are from the scene of the murder, to the Garland properties, to familial relationships, and then to financial investment relationships? I am sure that this was not a random act, and I think people in Calgary can rest more easily again.

It seems to me that if Douglas Garland owed Alvin Liknes money, Alvin would have been on Doug's doorstep on the eve of his having an estate sale and leaving the country. Instead, it was most likely Douglas on Alvin's doorstep. We know that on the night of the murder a well preserved early 1990s green Ford T150 with a familial connection was circiling the block. Police seem very determined to find a connection now that all roads lead to the Garland properties. If it is true that there was a business connection, per some reports, then the connections are from the scene of the murder, to the Garland properties, to familial relationships, and then to financial investment relationships? I am sure that this was not a random act, and I think people in Calgary can rest more easily again.
Do we know that he was circling the block? Perhaps he was seen more than once on the CCTV cameras but over what time span. Just wonder if he made more than one trip, perhaps, for obvious reasons - as opposed to circling the block. Big Question mark ?

It was said that DG used fake ID on July 4, do we know what that was? Where it was?

That was the day that police went to his house. He would have been asked to provide documentation for his well preserved 1993ish green Ford T150. I think it's quite possible that the vehicle was still registered in that fake name. The vehicle was from the time of the false identity: 1992-1999 (he used a fase identity for 7 years). He might have never corrected the information, making the truck the perfect vehicle to use during a murder ... it would trace to the wrong name. Record keeping was obviously a bit sloppy, so a conviction in BC might not have translated to licence, registration name updates in Alberta. That would also be grounds to immediately detain him. He was immediately detained on Friday when police swarmed the house. Could he have been detaiined for circling the block of a murder scene several times on the night of the murder? There must be something more. I wonder if other video footage has something in the back of the truck. The photo that was published was from dawn, with long shadows, might have been after hosing down the driveway?

Do we know that he was circling the block? Perhaps he was seen more than once on the CCTV cameras but over what time span. Just wonder if he made more than one trip, perhaps, for obvious reasons - as opposed to circling the block. Big Question mark ?

If this was the case, and he was waiting for JO's vehicle to leave, it's possible he didn't see her leave alone or wasn't aware little NO was left at the L home for the night. Everything about this makes me so sick :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08