Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was reading through the discussion yesterday someone posted that a neighbour or resident in the area mentioned the garbage was being burned "all day" at the Garland residence last week. If this is true and has any connection with the disappearance of the three victims their remains may be long gone. In rural Alberta, it is very common for residents to burn their garbage and also it is very common to burn animal carcasses from sick/dead livestock or from hunting. These burns run incredibly hot and if human remains were dumped in the fire I wouldn't expect any identification to be possible (no DNA would remain.)

OMG. Shades of Pickton.

In one of the earlier threads CPS was quoted as wanting to talk with taxi drivers who were in the area. IMO taxi drivers are very observant and would have noticed a vehicle that was circling instead of going to a particular destination. If they were picking up they'd probably have a bit of a wait, and dropping off takes a while to complete the transaction and for the fare to actually leave the cab. It could be that people coming home from a late shift and taking an hour or so to relax before going to be would have noticed the same truck passing their home. And, if CCTV footage showed the same truck passing in front of the camera at different times, it might lead to the conclusion that the truck was circling the area.
IMO, it's possible that the truck really was circling, looking for the right house.

Did AL own this house at the time of his business dealings with DG?

Carol as I have posted before in case you may have missed it, it is only my speculation but maybe LE were looking for DG and his truck from Monday to Friday and they were no where to be found, therefore they released the picture to the public in desperation, asking for assistance in locating it and DG. Also as I've said before, IF DG did this crime and on the Sunday night and LE were looking for him for five days, he could have drove many, many miles with those family members. They could be anywhere. This is why I believe LE are working inside out, starting at the home and expanding outward. MOO.
Great point! This would also possibly help LE gather info about DG's whereabouts depending on who came forward reporting sightings. Very imlortant info if DG is respoonsible and has disposed of evidence beyond the search area.

As per the police report http://www.albertapolicereport.ca/2...ons-investigation-additional-photos-released/

"Nathan’s mom and his younger sibling had been at the residence assisting with the estate sale Sunday afternoon. Nathan’s mom left the residence with her youngest child around 10 p.m., leaving Nathan to have a sleepover with his grandparents."

Thanks to violet56 and all who answered my question for clearing that up for me! My anal(ytical) mind gets hold of things and won't let them go until I'm clear on the facts! :blushing:

IMO, it's possible that the truck really was circling, looking for the right house.

FYI, not only are taxi's equipped with cameras inside for security but all have dash cams as well.

It was mentioned somewhere that AL had lived in the house for 17 years?

I agree with this. However, I also think that if a heated exchange took place and someone was hurt (for example, trying to forcefully remove him from their home and a fight ensuing), it's not so out of the ordinary that adrenaline and/or panic could have taken over. He has no history of violent crimes that LE is aware of. JMO.

I'd go one step farther and say that DG has no history of violent crimes that LE has made public.
Domestic violence often goes under the radar, and through interviews with people who knew DG, maybe even with DG's parents, LE may have been aware that DG had a history of intimidation, of threats, or of behavior that did not reach the level of an assault reported to LE.

Estate sales and safety...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-o-brien-amber-alert-estate-sales-and-safety-1.2699450

I have bought stuff from Kijiji and have always called someone telling them where I was going. The few times I bought stuff, the person would open their garage door and the stuff was there. I felt comfort seing a father with his child.

In this case, I think it's more of a personal issue between AL and DG.

Yes, I agree it's a personal thing as well. There was a connection.

Are there any other CCTV photos of the truck? Better angles?

The 3 of them are not in the house, they were transported out somehow.

Two things:
The scene at the house indicated something bad happened there, enough clues for JO to contact the LE right away and for them to respond immediately, why was the Amber Alert not issued until 5:15pm that day? Many valuable hours were lost, no?
The other question I have is about AL's brother, CL and his response to AL not answering his phone.
Would it be that unusual for someone in the midst of moving not to pick up a phone? To warrant enough concern to the point of heading over to the house to check up on his brother in person?

Shawn Logan (@SUNShawnLogan) tweeted at 1:32pm - 8 Jul 14:

Into the fifth day of searching a rural property in Airdrie, @CalgaryPolice will hold presser this afternoon on search for missing family.

Shawn Logan (@SUNShawnLogan) tweeted at 1:35pm - 8 Jul 14:

I'm told police won't have much new to offer at presser as search continues Nathan O'Brien and grandparents Kathy and Alvin Liknes. #yyc

https://mobile.twitter.com/SUNShawnLogan

That is only speculation. There was no article saying that. And I have been reading alot. People are just trying to sort things out, understand what went wrong. It has been said that there may have been an argument between the grandparents that may have turned bad and somebody (AL) may have called DG for help. It is only hypothesis.

Thanks! :)

Well MKH's mother does not know who the heck DG is:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...than-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id/

The other vehicle in the incident was IDed as a half-ton truck (that would have licence plates, a VIN, possibly a company name associated with it):

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...than-obrien-charged-with-possessing-false-id/

How can DG get the information he needs (namely SIN #) to create a fake ID if, having "managed to escape", he would have to rely on the press to get such basic details like the victim's names and birthdates?

Why would he select an identity theft victim that had a direct tie to his original ID, if he wanted to hide successfully?

I would say if the half-ton vehicle remained at the accident scene and MKH's mother says she does not know of DG, DG wasn't involved in the accident that cause MKH's death.

(Bold is mine)
Again I go back to the company DG kept. Having a meth lab could have put him in touch with unsavoury characters who knew how to obtain fake ID.

The original post I made (rumour>deleted) was that they had been in business together a few years ago. AL is said to have owned the house for 17 years. Open to interpretation, but the impression I get is that AL would have owned the house when they were in business together. Had it been said "many years ago", I might interpret it differently.

Two things:
The scene at the house indicated something bad happened there, enough clues for JO to contact the LE right away and for them to respond immediately, why was the Amber Alert not issued until 5:15pm that day? Many valuable hours were lost, no?
The other question I have is about AL's brother, CL and his response to AL not answering his phone.
Would it be that unusual for someone in the midst of moving not to pick up a phone? To warrant enough concern to the point of heading over to the house to check up on his brother in person?

Just responding to the bold. Maybe AL and CL were suppose to do something that morning? If I had plans with someone and repeatedly called and heard nothing I would definitely head over. JMO

A few random thoughts:

1. There was no prior plan of either AL or KL to kill the other and take off to start a new life. If AL had plans that night, he would have made sure NO was taken home by his mom. A simple "I'm exhausted from the sale and just can't babysit tonight" would have been an easy way to get rid of the child witness.
2. Is DG being in the neighborhood so out of place? AL is related to DG by marriage. They had business dealings. When is the last time they saw each other? Where there any restraining orders?
3. AL and family seem to be a bit shady...scam businesses, dealings with DG, his own daughter shot. Does KL's family have similar family issues or is all from AL's side? And what did RO's dad think of him marrying into this family? RO's dad would easily be able to check into their background. Obviously he's passed now, but it would be interesting to know what he thought.
4. I see nothing odd about NO staying by himself with the grandparents. No idea why there is so much focus on it.

Has someone or even a mod created a timelime of factual information that can be shared or posted, there seems to be alot of speculation and assuption being made that are stretching out known facts.

IMHO, i like the train of thoughts people are having but with many directions of personal thoughts being shared we are all missing some key information that may have been over looked while we have been discussing our opinions and thoughts on this case.

FYI, not only are taxi's equipped with cameras inside for security but all have dash cams as well.

It was mentioned somewhere that AL had lived in the house for 17 years?

Title registrations show dates in 1987 and 1989. So they may have been in the home since either of those years.

They sold the home in May 2013 for $705,000, as was mentioned in a previous article and which also shows on the registry website. Interestingly, it also shows that the registration in May 2013, was changed or canceled in May 2014. I'm not sure exactly what that means though (maybe just a name change on the title or a change of mortgage company on the title or something along those lines.)

Two things:

(Bold mine)

I have that same question. According to reports they weren't moving until the end of July. Had AL talked with CL the night before about a meeting with DG? Did CL have any business dealing with his brother? With DG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024