Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:wagon: Greetings and Welcome to all our new members. Glad you have joined us.

Thanks for the link, Lisap2003, but I couldn't find reference to them sending anything to the lab from the landfill. Acreage, yes. Landfill, no. :dunno:

Let me look for the link. I read it earlier today.

The "estate sale" could just be cover for we're too embarrassed to admit we're up to our ears in debt to their circle of family/friends. Why would you have an estate sale to move to Edmonton? Would be cheaper to rent a moving truck than get pennies on the dollar for your furniture.

This puzzles me too. My parents moved to a FL retirement comminity a few years ago. They had a big ol house with pots n pans and furniture and knickknacks andhe sheets and etc. They decided they did not want to bring anything with them, it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a new bed and living room set and pots and pans and dishes and such for their new condo.

So, I am thinking this is not too out of the ordinary for the Liknes couple if they were moving to Mexico. It would probably be cheaper, if not more convenient, to buy new stuff rather than ship it from Canada to Mexico. IMO the estate sale was just for the heck of it, to make some spending cash. I don't think they needed the money.

Sincerely,

My opinion

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV+Shows/The+National/Canada/ID/2472362366/

If you watch the specific video titled "Missing family case enters 10th day" which is 2:44 minutes in length I noted what may have been a telling slip of the tongue by the Calgary Police Chief at the 1:20 min mark when the Police Chief speaks highly of his LE and their tenacious efforts and then says "especially if it is a homicide" but caught himself nervously and then generalized his statement as all investigations. Did anyone catch that as well? Do LE already know it is a homicide?

Good catch, ldbd. I think that's the third 'slip' I've heard from LE that suggests that they are dealing with a homicide (or plural homicides). I hope I'm wrong.

I think the name is Norwegian--there may even be a town or area in Norway called Liknes. AL certainly looks like he could be of Norwegian descent. I also thought about that when someone above described a blond in his 30s driving the ?green truck? in Airdrie--possibly a relative? Not that Norwegians have anything close to a monopoly on blondness, but...

FWIW, I had noticed that KL has some FB friends in Norway. I wondered about the connection as well.

But when men murder their wives, it's usually to conceal that there was a crime/that a crime happened where it happened so that they can wait a few hours and place a panicked call to relatives/friends asking if their wife has been seen by anyone.

In this case it was apparently evident right off the bat that something violent happened in that house that would suggest that at least two of the three of them didn't leave of their own accord. Why move 3 bodies to hide that there was a crime if it's already evident that there has been a crime? Plus it would take considerable effort for one or even two persons to remove two adult bodies from the residence. Seems too risky.

It seems more likely to me that they were taken somewhere for a specific purpose. What that purpose may be, I have no idea. But I have been thinking, it seems lime the L's were making some efforts to remove their traceability. Renting a home rather than owning would remove them from the land registry in Calgary, differing stories about moving to Mexico/Edmonton, where they'd go first/for how long, kind of makes me wonder if there was someone they were trying to get away from.

Moving bodies is too risky, but transporting 3 live people that can scream out a window, scratch your eyes, or make a cell phone call makes more sense?

Chances are, IMO, the violence, or level of violence wasn't planned and happened. Panic. Now what? Run? Or, with the future trial in mind, make it as difficult to prove as possible.

This puzzles me too. My parents moved to a FL retirement comminity a few years ago. They had a big ol house with pots n pans and furniture and knickknacks andhe sheets and etc. They decided they did not want to bring anything with them, it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a new bed and living room set and pots and pans and dishes and such for their new condo.

So, I am thinking this is not too out of the ordinary for the Liknes couple if they were moving to Mexico. It would probably be cheaper, if not more convenient, to buy new stuff rather than ship it from Canada to Mexico. IMO the estate sale was just for the heck of it, to make some spending cash. I don't think they needed the money.

Sincerely,

My opinion

In theory then, things would be priced to clear.

The Pickton case is a classic example of how a missing person just stays that way. There was nothing to tie him to that for years, especially enough to get a warrant to search his farm. Without that truck picture, does LE conduct the search of the property now, or years from now, or ever? How many other stories are there of people having an issue with AL that police would have to spend months combing through? Was AL the perpetrator himself?

That truck picture may have nothing to do with their disappearance in the end. Then what? Who do they look at? What crime, other than abduction of the child, was committed?

Pickton is a totally different scenario. He picked up women on the street and took them back to his farm to kill them which is also where he buried them. It's not like he killed them on the street, loaded their bodies into his vehicle and then took them home to bury them. Plus he sought out one victim at a time and unfortunately many of them went with him willingly.

There were no visible bodies/parcels that could be people in the back of the truck in the pic that was released and it seems risky that anyone would try to transport 3 bodies in an open flat bed. I don't know about Alberta but in Ontario, I'd think there would be a risk of hitting a pothole and them go flying out of the back.

I doubt that any perpetrator would use AL's truck to move bodies/people because of the risk of leaving transfer evidence in AL's vehicle that could identify them as well as it would be risky to leave their own vehicle at th scene while driving off somewhere in AL's vehicle. If the green truck was involved, I bet you anything there was a second vehicle driven by at least one other perpetrator

Good catch, ldbd. I think that's the third 'slip' I've heard from LE that suggests that they are dealing with a homicide (or plural homicides). I hope I'm wrong.

Agreed toastburner wholeheartedly sadly but it begs to question what LE has in terms of evidence to make those "slips" imo. Is it all based on what was in the home or has additional evidence been discovered?

I'd like to build a floor plan of the house. Is anyone familiar with this floor plan (looks to be a 1960s house), and could maybe draw a sketch and share it with me. I can get the important dimensions from an aerial photo. I'll start with a rough floor plan, mapping out the stairs, the attached garage, the living/dining, kitchen, basement, front door, side door, bedrooms, back deck.

It would help to understand how three people could be completely overpowered by one person.

This looks similar from the front. Maybe it's a good start

http://www.builderhouseplans.com/three-bedroom-split-level/pid/114101863

Still searching for the report of DG and a diagnosis of ADHD...is there one?

Moving bodies is too risky, but transporting 3 live people that can scream out a window, scratch your eyes, or make a cell phone call makes more sense?

Chances are, IMO, the violence, or level of violence wasn't planned and happened. Panic. Now what? Run? Or, with the future trial in mind, make it as difficult to prove as possible.

Definitely risky to move live people but I can see there being more of a purpose to take that risk

But when men murder their wives, it's usually to conceal that there was a crime/that a crime happened where it happened so that they can wait a few hours and place a panicked call to relatives/friends asking if their wife has been seen by anyone.

In this case it was apparently evident right off the bat that something violent happened in that house that would suggest that at least two of the three of them didn't leave of their own accord. Why move 3 bodies to hide that there was a crime if it's already evident that there has been a crime? Plus it would take considerable effort for one or even two persons to remove two adult bodies from the residence. Seems too risky.

It seems more likely to me that they were taken somewhere for a specific purpose. What that purpose may be, I have no idea. But I have been thinking, it seems lime the L's were making some efforts to remove their traceability. Renting a home rather than owning would remove them from the land registry in Calgary, differing stories about moving to Mexico/Edmonton, where they'd go first/for how long, kind of makes me wonder if there was someone they were trying to get away from.

Assuming it was bodies that left the house, one reason to remove the bodies is to hide the cause of death. We know that there was violence and medical distress. Whatever happened in the house appears to be very disturbing to the child's mother (per photos of family reviewing the scene). If there are bodies, it's possible that the perp's true nature will be revealed ... and the perp doesn't want that to happen, so he takes the bodies with him.

"Originally, Garland had been charged with identity theft, but he now faces an additional charge of possession of a stolen credit card."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1440571/person-of-interest-in-missing-calgary-family-to-appear-in-court/

I'm not sure if this is grasping at straws, or info worth knowing, so I'll just post it either way.

If it is in fact a credit card, not just a bank card, and is a TD card like this article states http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/0...on-of-interest-in-liknes-family-disappearance then, if it's not related to the disappearance of these individuals, I wonder if it could be mail fraud.

I believe most articles just say that the card was "obtained by crime" or something like that, and TD recently issued a lot (I couldn't give you a number, but I'd imagine in the thousands) of new credit cards. CIBC used to own the Aeroplan Visa card, but it was recently bought (or however that worked, I don't know the details) by TD. As such, TD recently mailed out what I'd imagine to be a very large number of credit cards and pin numbers, making it easier than usual to steal one of the credit cards (IMO). Since DG is known to have stolen an identity in the past, it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me for him to steal a credit card. IMO.

(sidenote: I'm new here, and have been assuming IMO to stand for "In my opinion", if that's incorrect please let me know! And I'll look around myself, but if there's a link that sums up any other abbreviations it would be really handy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smjosephson