Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So would I. I'd also like peace in the middle east, and I wish I didn't have to pay taxes. I also don't like growing old...
Contradiction and sarcasm all in one post [emoji6]

I still think a lot of time and lives could be saved by using lie detectors or truth drugs or anything on a POI at the first opportunity, then they can quickly pursue or discount and move on.

Canadian prosecutors and investigators are much more aware of singling out one individual as a suspect, and attempting to wrap evidence around that individual.

I agree, which is why I disagreed with Hitchhiker that speculating that the POI is being railroaded is particularly helpful. I also doubt that DG is being held on 'trumped up charges' just so the police can 'keep him in custody' as has been suggested by others here. The police aren't dumb enough to jeopardize the entire case by trumping up charges...I would like to think that since the Pickton incident, and the exonerations with DNA, that police are a lot more meticulous in investigations than they used to be. There used to be pressure from the public on police to get convictions, whereas nowadays I think the pressure from the public is on police getting it right...

Contradiction and sarcasm all in one post [emoji6]

I still think a lot of time and lives could be saved by using lie detectors or truth drugs or anything on a POI at the first opportunity, then they can quickly pursue or discount and move on.

yikes! I think you should read up on lie detectors. They are used to scare people into confessing (which was much easier when they first came out, when people were more inclined to believe that technology is foolproof). The results are useless, which is why they are inadmissable in court. And adminstering noxious substances? What's next, waterboarding??

yikes! I think you should read up on lie detectors. They are used to scare people into confessing (which was much easier when they first came out, when people were more inclined to believe that technology is foolproof). The results are useless, which is why they are inadmissable in court. And adminstering noxious substances? What's next, waterboarding??
If it meant Nathan was back with his family alive and as well as can be expected ... I'd consider it

I understand that someone associated with a Calgary newspaper would like to interview web sleuth members about whether online criminal investigation forums aid, or impede, a criminal investigation. Perhaps one of the site owners is available to do a 5-10 minute interview? The reporter is having problems with his inbox, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few people have received the request. Could someone post this website contact info for the reporter.

Just a few comments and questions to fuel discussion:

-I've included a link of a newscast below. What is on the garage door at the Liknes house. It looks blurred out. Are these markings too? Right below those markings other markings that look like blood were found. I posted a link on a previous post that shows the "blood". Perhaps a vehicle backed into someone and pinned them against the garage by accident... or in a fit of rage.... and this caused matters to escalate?

-I think the whole ADHD angle is a moot point. Especially because we have no record of any recent assessment. He may actually have ADHD or he may have something else like OCD, ODD, anger issues, or paranoid delusions. It would seem IMO that socially he seemed to struggle a bit but other than that we can't claim to really understand what his mental health issues, if any, are/were

-personally, IMO I think it is *too* much of a coincidence that a rare truck that looks exactly like his was spotted on the same street of scene more than once on the day of the crime. Oh, and he apparently had some kind of a past with the family who happens to live on the street where a rare truck that looks exactly like his was spotted.... more than once-- during the time of the crime. MOO is it is really really suspicious. I wonder what his explanation would be for that?

-does Calgary have traffic cameras that could potentially be used to track movements of the vehicle(s) involved?

-does POI have a cell phone that can be tracked? I wonder if any of the business numbers listed are actually a cell that can be traced for movements between towers?

-were the parents or POI home on the evening of the abduction? Can POI provide any type of alibi from June 30-July 5

- how many 90s model ford F150 green trucks that match this description actually exist in Alberta and surrounding provinces? Probably fewer than 50 I would think? I have no idea but it would be interesting to find out!

Link:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police...ction-with-missing-boy-grandparents-1.1906240

I agree, which is why I disagreed with Hitchhiker that speculating that the POI is being railroaded is particularly helpful. I also doubt that DG is being held on 'trumped up charges' just so the police can 'keep him in custody' as has been suggested by others here. The police aren't dumb enough to jeopardize the entire case by trumping up charges...I would like to think that since the Pickton incident, and the exonerations with DNA, that police are a lot more meticulous in investigations than they used to be. There used to be pressure from the public on police to get convictions, whereas nowadays I think the pressure from the public is on police getting it right...

I don't believe that Douglas Garland is being held on trumped-up charges. I'm certain that he was carrying, or had in his possession, ID for Matthew Hartley on July 4, 2014, even though the Canadian gov't should have frozen that person's records when he was first charged with identity theft in 1999. I believe those charges were swept under the carpet to focus on the drug conviction.

The charges aren't trumped up, but they are trumped. Garland was picked up on Friday and it wasn't until Saturday that he could be processed. By Sunday, he'd had his 24 hours and demanded to be released. At that moment, he was charged with the false ID. That held him over until Monday morning. On Monday morning, the crown asked for 48 hours, two days, to prepare. That brought us to Wednesday, when the crown laid more charges, this time related to a bank card presumably under the same false ID. That bought the crown two more days to gather evidence. This time, the person of interest must prove that he has a home. Otherwise, he will not be released. Does that mean that his parents are not claiming him, giving him a place to sleep? What about his sister? Her common law husband's father is missing, as is his step-nephew. I don't suppose there are a lot of people stepping up to take in the "person of interest" ... under the circumstances.

Has anyone else connected the following dots? DG assumed the identity of a boy who was killed in a car crash in 1980. DG would have been 20 years old at the time, which is around the age that you would expect a first year medical student to typically be. Also, DG has claimed that he suffered a mental breakdown as a result of causing a fatal accident where he fell asleep at the wheel. Medical school is known to be extremely demanding in terms of time and effort and I am sure that many med students do not get enough sleep. How likely is it that DG caused the death of the boy whose identity he subsequently assumed?

I understand that someone associated with a Calgary newspaper would like to interview web sleuth members about whether online criminal investigation forums aid, or impede, a criminal investigation. Perhaps one of the site owners is available to do a 5-10 minute interview? The reporter is having problems with his inbox, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few people have received the request. Could someone post this website contact info for the reporter.

If it helps at all, Admin can be emailed at admin@websleuths.com. Also Kimster is on Twitter. I recall that she was interviewed at some point in the Boucher case, so she might be open to an interview.

LE now searching the dump hmm. Did LE gain more surveillance video of the truck at some business or apartment building dumpster? Businesses were asked to check their surveillance videos. Sounds peculiar to me. MOO.

LE now searching the dump hmm. Did LE gain more surveillance video of the truck at some business or apartment building dumpster? Businesses were asked to check their surveillance videos. Sounds peculiar to me. MOO.

Once LE had the vehicle in question, they should have had the plate number. They might have run the number by the various landfill operators.

Has anyone else connected the following dots? DG assumed the identity of a boy who was killed in a car crash in 1980. DG would have been 20 years old at the time, which is around the age that you would expect a first year medical student to typically be. Also, DG has claimed that he suffered a mental breakdown as a result of causing a fatal accident where he fell asleep at the wheel. Medical school is known to be extremely demanding in terms of time and effort and I am sure that many med students do not get enough sleep. How likely is it that DG caused the death of the boy whose identity he subsequently assumed?

The person of interest, Doug Garland, calls it a breakdown. People that have spoken to reporters describe it as expulsion due to cheating. That's not allowed in Medical School. The other alleged breakdown was at the time that he was fired. Did he have a breakdown because he wasn't entitled to benefits after working under a false identify? Did he have a breakdown because he was fired? Did he have a breakdown and then he was fired? Was he re-arrested for cooking meth in 1999 ... served 1/6 of a 39 month sentence ... so 6 months.

"A Postmedia News story from the drugs trial noted that the meth cook, as drug makers are called, had studied science at the University of Alberta but was expelled after being caught cheating.

A university spokesman Tuesday said she couldn’t confirm that sort of detail because of confidentiality concerns."

http://o.canada.com/news/national/b...w-and-mental-health-concerns-documents-reveal

-does POI have a cell phone that can be tracked? I wonder if any of the business numbers listed are actually a cell that can be traced for movements between towers?

-were the parents or POI home on the evening of the abduction? Can POI provide any type of alibi from June 30-July 5
<rsbm>

Any number I've seen for DG is his parents' phone number.

If, as has been suggested, the parents were away camping, he won't have an alibi that can be verified (but to his benefit, he also won't have his parents knowing any of his activities during the timeframe in question).

I am incredibly curious about this aspect. I can find old newspaper blurbs about the two children, but NOTHNG about the driver of the other vehicle. All it said was they hit a half-ton truck.

Apparently people who knew him said that they had never heard of him being involved in such an accident, but who knows? I find it strange that there's not more news to be found about the crash. It was in an area where that sort of accident would have really got people talking, I would think.

Once LE had the vehicle in question, they should have had the plate number. They might have run the number by the various landfill operators.

If there is someone at the desk recording names and plates of people entering landfill sites, then this is not about running down a licence plate ... we know the perp didn't go to all the landfill sites to hide his involvement in a crime. This is about checking waste disposal. I tried to research where Airdrie has waste disposal, but it was all about being green. Surely Aidrie garbage goes somewhere - perhaps the Spyhill Landfill.

I think there should be a search on rural properties and 1970s party spots between Calgary, Airdrie, Brooks.

I am incredibly curious about this aspect. I can find old newspaper blurbs about the two children, but NOTHNG about the driver of the other vehicle. All it said was they hit a half-ton truck.

Apparently people who knew him said that they had never heard of him being involved in such an accident, but who knows? I find it strange that there's not more news to be found about the crash. It was in an area where that sort of accident would have really got people talking, I would think.

If the driver of the other vehicle was a minor, or had his record expunged, perhaps his name would vanish from the record? Garland was born in 1960 and was not a minor at the time that Matthew Hartley and his sister Jill died in a vehicle accident with a pick up truck. Perhaps the vehicle accident affected Garland.

Kinda OT .. is it me or is the search feature not working? I tried earlier today to find posts by dangerross, nothing came up yet others found it. Just now I searched for Snoopster's post with the timeline detail and all that comes up for them in the past week is their posts in the ROFO thread. I KNOW Snoopster would not only be posting in that thread in the past week.

Anyway Snoopster, if you're reading .. please direct me to your post that was made yesterday (Wednesday) with timeline info in it. Thanks !!

True, after the green truck was picked up at the acreage NE of Airdrie, they had the licence plate number. Perhaps I misunderstood, but at the last press release, I understood that police were checking all landfill sites. Perhaps they are only checking the Spyhill site (especially if that is the Aidrie dump). If they are checking all landfill sites, then they don't have a licence plate number because perps don't go to three landfill sites to hide the evidence. They might go to one, but more likely they might put something in a dumpster that would end up at the dump.

If there is someone at the desk recording names and plates of people entering landfill sites, then this is not about running down a licence plate ... we know the perp didn't go to all the landfill sites to hide his involvement in a crime. This is about checking waste disposal. I tried to research where Airdrie has waste disposal, but it was all about being green. Surely Aidrie garbage goes somewhere - perhaps the Spyhill Landfill.

I think there should be a search on rural properties and 1970s party spots between Calgary, Airdrie, Brooks.

I don't understand the part of your post that I bolded. How do we know the perp didn't go to a landfill? Any landfill I'm familiar with, you drive in on the scale, dump your garbage, and on the way out you pay for the weight and are given a computerized receipt. It is through your plate number and/or address (can't recall) that they know you are resident and therefore eligible to use that particular landfill. Maybe it's not the same in the Calgary area?

I think what appears to be a shadow in front is actually from the fall off light of the headlights. The headlights appear to be on to me.

That's what I was initially seeing, but with a better screen resolution and given that the sun potentially rises a little to the north, there is a bit of a rectangular shadow there where sillybilly is describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay