Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good question. Anyone know the answer to this?

Hi Tarika ... when you reply to a post, if you click "Reply With Quote" instead of just "Reply" it will include the others member's post so we will know which post you are referring to.

Wouldn't those furnishings be considered business assets and seized as part of bankruptcy proceedings ?

I don't believe so because it was the company going bankrupt and not the individual. Also, I'm not sure how it works, but there was a seizure of property, but I'm wondering if the actual bankruptcy had taken place.

CALGARY — The former head office of Winter Petroleum Ltd. sits on the second floor of a Calgary strip mall: the office is now dark, the desks barren, the door locked.

This was apparently Alvin Liknes’ company. The property manager said she often saw Mr. Liknes around the building: he was a good man, she said, and the company always paid its rent on time.

The space was cleared out sometime around June 29 — on the same weekend Mr. Liknes disappeared from his home, along with his wife, Kathryn, and five-year-old grandson, Nathan O’Brien, according to the property

Mr. Carson said Vecto was working on a type of pump that could keep water out of oil and gas wells, allowing them to be productive for longer stretches of time; however, Mr. Liknes’s invention didn’t work out, and the plan was dropped.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/09/investigators-delving-into-alvin-liknes-business-dealings-in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

Office cleared out, estate sale all before Al disappears. Note- the potential for a good invention, wonder what went wrong.

Hi Tarika ... when you reply to a post, if you click "Reply With Quote" instead of just "Reply" it will include the others member's post so we will know which post you are referring to.

Sorry, not sure what happened there.

I stumbled across this two days ago but haven't felt like sharing it although with the recent discussion regarding failed businesses and finances and possible financial motives related to this disappearance I think it is somewhat interesting. Also might show a bit of the character of the Liknes (although it should be obvious that no family is perfect.)
[modsnip]

Sure, we have all heard of people on certain drugs that exhibit super human strength and can even fight off several police officers. Or the mother that lifts a car to free her child. But that's not the norm, we don't hear that everyday. There are certain realities of ageing, eve there is data somewhere about the age ranges of violent criminals. Will see what I can find.

With over 25 years of experience in a labor oriented industry, I can say with every certainty that being between 50 and 60 years old does take a toll on speed and agility, however, lifting and dragging 100 to 200 pounds is not overly difficult for most. To move 2 such items in say, a 2 hour period is obvioisly achievable .

Noticed there was a timeline on here of DG's record that missed his 2009 charge for "failure to yield to a pedestrian" and subsequent fine of $575. I asked several (hundred!) posts back when the original post first appeared if anyone knew of an accident at that time, as I had two family members knocked down in a crosswalk back in 1999 where the driver of the car was charged with the above. If there was a reply I missed it.

You can be charged with "failure to yield to a pedestrian" even if you go through a crosswalk while a pedestrian is crossing but the charge is usually thrown out before court and no fine. The fact that the charge stuck leads me to believe he may have hit someone.

Also while googling mercury and it's uses in Oil and Gas production I came across this link. You might want to pay close attention to the symptoms of exposure to mercury, a snippet of the article which I paste here:

What are the health effects of mercury exposure?

Liquid mercury can affect human health through skin contact, by swallowing, and by breathing the vapour. Most worker exposure occurs through inhalation of mercury vapour.

Chronic (long-term) exposure to high concentrations of mercury vapour affects the central nervous system and can cause:

Stupor
Tremors
Nervousness
Personality changes
Vision and hearing changes
Hearing loss
Reduction in fertility
Kidney damage
Gum disease can also be an early sign of chronic mercury exposure. The brain and kidneys are particularly susceptible to damage from mercury.

Contact with mercury can also cause irritation and burns to the skin and eyes.

DG in his sketches looks much older than his (relatively young age of 54!) and mentioned his vision problems when asked if he could hear during court proceedings. Interesting that personality changes is also listed.

http://www2.worksafebc.com/i/posters/2012/WS_12_01.html

I stumbled across this two days ago but haven't felt like sharing it although with the recent discussion regarding failed businesses and finances and possible financial motives related to this disappearance I think it is somewhat interesting. Also might show a bit of the character of the Liknes (although it should be obvious that no family is perfect.)

[modsnip]]
You are GOOOOD I tried searching canlii but did not find this stuff :)

ETA: Landlady ???? I thought they owned their home...I am confused

One thing that I found that I haven't seen posted before (which may not actually mean anything) is that if you search the Liknes home address there is a business that comes up attached to the house which is Lifestyle Flooring Ltd and[modsnip]. When you search for that company in Calgary nothing directly comes up. This makes me wonder if it is yet another shell company for the Liknes family.

[modsnip]

So I found my mother-in-law's body last year after she had been dead of a major heart attack for approximately 11 hours. There was some dried clear fluid around her mouth/nose but no other fluid that I could see.

This is good to know, but also makes me sad to think maybe there wasn't just one person "hurt".

I don't believe so because it was the company going bankrupt and not the individual. Also, I'm not sure how it works, but there was a seizure of property, but I'm wondering if the actual bankruptcy had taken place.

If the furnishings were purchased for the business and used as a tax write off then I do believe they would be part of the bankruptcy. The landlord(?) of the strip mall said the rent was always paid on time so they wouldn't have seized them for non-payment of rent but the Bankruptcy trustee would certainly be interested in them IMHO.

I was also struck by the number of couches they had for sale when I first saw their kijiji ads, certainly way more than most people have in a house.

I feel like this is lyrics from a song but can't find anything. It just rings a bell to me. Idk why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes when you are having a garage sale one of your friends/family/neighbours will try to sell some of their stuff too. My mother always does that to me when I have a garage sale :-)

Shouldn't post while walking ... was supposed to quote 252

Yep. Leucocrystal Violet is one of them. It's sprayed onto a surface, leaves a purple/violet stain:

Page 6 of this article: http://nzic.org.nz/ChemProcesses/biotech/12A.pdf

That's it! I was looking for the name but got majorly distracted. Thank you! The point I was trying to make, from the very basic forensic course I did last year, this is what it could be not luminol, as afaik this is what can be used outside in daylight where luminol needs darkness and a blacklight.

I may be wrong but I read this status update as being a little tongue-in-cheek. It's sounds as though he is singing different words to a Louie Armstrong song and basically saying all this crappy stuff could be happening to him but he doesn't care as long as he has Louie Armstrong. He seems to really enjoy music and shares a lot of songs and music related stuff on his profile.

I think they are his own tongue in cheek lyrics to "What a Wonderful World".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ronjan