Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure why it is being assumed that a 54 yo is weak and frail? Have I missed a news report where it was said?

Thanks button wasn't enough! I have a decade on DG, and I can keep up with the best of them. The word tired is not in my vocabulary. I have no problems carrying a 50-lb bag of cat litter up the stairs, although I don't have the strength I did when younger. Energy? Yes, lots of it. Seems like stereotyping to me IMHO, and I strongly disagree.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...any-went-bankrupt-weeks-before-disappearance/

Kozera, meanwhile, noted Liknes had his toes in various business pools and also confirmed Winter’s core staff were compensated, although he wasn’t sure about outside partners such as well servicing contractors
He described Winter Petroleum’s dealings with the county officials in the northwest Alberta area as being “unreasonable” and “totally wrong,” claiming county officials taxed the company out of business.
When asked about Likeneses’ reaction to the fate of the company he’d helped start, Kozera said: “He was very upset about the whole thing.”

***whole article worth reading!!***

I don't want this post to be morbid but I really don't know much about what happens after you die. If you are killed in a way there is no blood (like strangled), does your body release fluids immediately or does it take time. Again sorry if it is morbid or gives anyone graphic images. :(

Little has been made public about the family’s past, but Kozera said the elder Liknes headed up the cash-strapped junior petroleum firm.
The company had its equipment seized by a rural Alberta county that it owed roughly $800,000 to in property taxes and late penalties, according to the company’s ex-chief operating officer.
Kozera said he and all of Winter’s employees officially resigned June 25.

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/10...any-went-bankrupt-weeks-before-disappearance/

With the search of all the landfills the police must think that the suspect(s) went around throwing stuff into different garbage bins around the city. The location of different bins in the city would be serviced on different days and perhaps by different companies. Not sure how garbage and recycling pickup is in Calgary. What about Airdrie?

Thanks button wasn't enough! I have a decade on DG, and I can keep up with the best of them. The word tired is not in my vocabulary. I have no problems carrying a 50-lb bag of cat litter up the stairs, although I don't have the strength I did when younger. Energy? Yes, lots of it. Seems like stereotyping to me IMHO, and I strongly disagree.

Check the stats/online resources, there are lots of them. Violent crimes, and I imagine those that would be labour intensive, or logistically difficult, are carried out by younger males... [modsnip]

Kind of an interesting picture here. Kind of have to wonder about the blanket.

c52c7c9c-7345-49e5-9b47-27bf0aa4c11e_500.jpg

An investigator carries away a number of bagged items discovered at Spyhill landfill Wednesday July 9, 2014 in northwest Calgary, Alta. The search continues for the three missing people and any evidence surrounding the case. Police continue to search a location near Airdrie, Alta and in the landfill July 9, 2014. Jim Wells/Calgary Sun/QMI

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/10/calgary-search-for-missing-liknes-family-expands-to-second-landfill

Am drafting up the timeline now. Bear with me for a bit as it's difficult going back and finding all relevant dates with all the information that has come to light .. it will be fluid until some details are firmed up.

@Snoopster ... the post of yours I was looking for is where you had "hinted" :floorlaugh: at someone starting the timeline. You included some dates/events that I want to have a look at. I have never had trouble with the search feature before, so just don't know what I'm doing wrong with the new one in trying to find your posts :(

@otto ... oh knowledgable one re the business ventures involved in this case. Could you find it in your heart to zap me (not inviting PM by any means ;) a summary of info that you have found on the various businesses .. just company names, registration dates, dates closed or other significant info ... just month/year or year only if that's all you have).

I think this is the best resource regarding the various companies that the grandfather set up in the last decade or so. I couldn't find any connection between those companies and the person of interest.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

Little has been made public about the family’s past, but Kozera said the elder Liknes headed up the cash-strapped junior petroleum firm.
The company had its equipment seized by a rural Alberta county that it owed roughly $800,000 to in property taxes and late penalties, according to the company’s ex-chief operating officer.
Kozera said he and all of Winter’s employees officially resigned June 25.

It's hard to have sympathy for someone that doesn't want to pay taxes.

Kind of an interesting picture here. Kind of have to wonder about the blanket.

View attachment 54589

An investigator carries away a number of bagged items discovered at Spyhill landfill Wednesday July 9, 2014 in northwest Calgary, Alta. The search continues for the three missing people and any evidence surrounding the case. Police continue to search a location near Airdrie, Alta and in the landfill July 9, 2014. Jim Wells/Calgary Sun/QMI

Maybe because the quilt looks new and hasn't been sitting in the elements for long.

I think this is the best resource regarding the various companies that the grandfather set up in the last decade or so. I couldn't find any connection between those companies and the person of interest.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...in-bid-to-find-him-his-wife-and-his-grandson/

LOL .. was on that page at the time you linked it. Not related to the timeline as such, but of particular interest to me in that article was the name BC. Common name I guess, but is he perhaps one and the same BC as the former advisor to our PM who was involved in a variety of scandals and associated with the Canada School of Energy and Environment in Calgary?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bruce-carson-charges-linked-university-calgary-232304110.html

I know this has been discussed, at length in a previous thread...I never thought it odd that a little boy would stay overnight at his grandparents. If in fact they had to vacate by July 1, I would find leaving a child an odd behavior. Would most everything not be packed up? Can anyone verify that they had to leave by July 1? I don't recall seeing or hearing this in any other posts.

I assumed that having an estate sale on June 29 and moving at the end of the month meant moving at the end of June. It's possible that they planned to leave whatever they didn't need in the house.

"Cherri Hodgins, Kathy Liknes' friend since junior high, was at the sale on Sunday. She last saw the couple that afternoon. "They were actually pretty happy," she said.

"They did well on the sale. They were relieved they'd sold off some things. They were looking forward to the future and they were looking forward to good change."

She has no idea what happened to them. "We're all in shock and we're at just as much of a loss as everyone else.

"Kathy and Alvin are just beautiful people. They've always been there for everybody. This is totally out of the ordinary for their character."

The couple were planning on moving to Mexico at the end of the month, she said. Property records show their Calgary home was sold to a lawyer for $705,000 in December 2013. Peter Walton, who lives and works in the Parkhill area, said his grandkids played with Nathan at a nearby park Sunday afternoon."

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/A...+mystery+their+hands+VIDEO/9989542/story.html

They said there would be a police update at 1, but haven't seen anything on twitter about it, does anyone know if it has happened yet?

I know this has been discussed, at length in a previous thread...I never thought it odd that a little boy would stay overnight at his grandparents. If in fact they had to vacate by July 1, I would find leaving a child an odd behavior. Would most everything not be packed up? Can anyone verify that they had to leave by July 1? I don't recall seeing or hearing this in any other posts.

I recall reading on WS they were to vacate at the end of July not the beginning of the month. Looking for a link presently to confirm.

Side note, can a mod confirm if I am permitted to post a picture of KL facebook images on WS? TYIA

I recall reading on WS they were to vacate at the end of July not the beginning of the month. Looking for a link presently to confirm.

Side note, can a mod confirm if I am permitted to post a picture of KL facebook images on WS? TYIA

End of July makes more sense. The above Calgary Herald article was dated July 3, so it is very possible the person being interviewed DID mean the end of July.

Or killed all three and gone back and removed them one by one and gotten rid of them somewhere....now where is that somewhere?
Well ... yes BUT I was supposing the least horrific end scene!

There was a LOT of "I'm not able to comment on that at this time" in that update. They absolutely know who was hurt in the home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18