Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Lumsden @MLumsden770
Hanson confirms that person in custody was arrested on land near the acreage in #airdrie #AmberAlert #yyc #yeg

https://twitter.com/MLumsden770

This is just mind-boggling... "if" the arrested person is DG (pfft) then holy cow he's missing a cog for going back there. Did the conditions of his bail give him a curfew? I'm just dumb-founded but also thankful for his stupidity especially if whatever he was arrested in the midst of doing helps to secure a strong case against the accused.

I guess strict parents kids don't get murdered... this is victim blaming and I wish we'd close this topic. There was NOTHING sinister about this poor little boy being left to sleep at his grandparents and his mother did NOTHING wrong.

I am disappointed that a victim blaming statement was made in the first place. I agree, let's move on from this.

Let's get rid of due process then and mobs can just string up suspects.
Garland is a proven CRIMINAL with numerous past charges.....unless you know something the rest of us don't ???? Why are you defending him ? He is not a good person he is a CRIMINAL

I guess strict parents kids don't get murdered... this is victim blaming and I wish we'd close this topic. There was NOTHING sinister about this poor little boy being left to sleep at his grandparents and his mother did NOTHING wrong.

This isn't victim blaming, this is trying to understand how and why Nathan ended up in the middle of a premeditated murder where the victims were in the process of skipping town. There's something about this that just doesn't sit well with me.

I understand that. Nathan, a five year old, attended a day long (or 3 day long) estate sale, spending long hours in the warm sun and having lots of interactions with family and strangers. Was he really better off sleeping at a house where everything but the kitchen sink was for sale, or sold? I suppose I'm more strict as a parent and wouldn't have done that, but others make different choices. It's something that has bothered me from the beginning - [modsnip].

Unless it can be proven that either the grandparents or his mother KNEW that there was danger of a madman showing up to kill them that night (and I don't think that was the case), then I don't believe that anyone was being irresponsible or showing any lack of judgement - even if the house was sparsely furnished, what does that matter? The weekend would have been filled with excitement for a young lad like Nathan - interaction with lots of people, which Nathan reportedly loved, and if there was no bed for him, then it was an opportunity to 'camp out' at Grandma & Grandpa's. Our grandkids would think that was fun!

I'd like to know HOW he got from the Airdrie Motel to the rural property? If LE had previously seized his green truck, how did he get out there? Did someone drive him?

I don't think we have solid confirmation he was actually at the acreage. Police Chief was pretty vague.

I sincerely hope there were some officers observing, maybe in Ghillie suits close to where he was arrested and he led them to something that will help them find the victims! Does anyone know if he had an ankle bracelet monitor?

DG and Alvin L. had fall out 7 years ago. I suppose DG has contemplated the revenge all along, and on the last day before the L's moved, he had no reason to wait any more. He probably prepared the murder method and the aftermath coverup for years.

I think the chief answered a report that there was no other suspect, so that would mean it's not a professional hit?

I'm so heartbroken to hear this. RIP poor baby. It's a sick world when a grandchild isn't even safe at his grandparents house. Soooo sad.

This is just mind-boggling... "if" the arrested person is DG (pfft) then holy cow he's missing a cog for going back there. Did the conditions of his bail give him a curfew? I'm just dumb-founded but also thankful for his stupidity especially if whatever he was arrested in the midst of doing helps to secure a strong case against the accused.

Either missing a cog or thinks he's above the law. He also continued to use that dead child's identity even after serving time for the charge. Could mean either of the two.

I understand that. Nathan, a five year old, attended a day long (or 3 day long) estate sale, spending long hours in the warm sun and having lots of interactions with family and strangers. Was he really better off sleeping at a house where everything but the kitchen sink was for sale, or sold? I suppose I'm more strict as a parent and wouldn't have done that, but others make different choices. It's something that has bothered me from the beginning - [modsnip].

otto, that's neither here nor there. Letting him sleepover was a perfectly normal thing to do. Even if it was camp out style on a bare floor he was with his loving grandparents, absolutely nothing wrong with that. The only blame here lies with the person who went to that house with the intent to kill, nobody could have anticipated that would happen in a million years. MOO

How does an insanity plea work in Canada? I'm concerned it will go this way based on his previous history of mental illness.

I don't know much of the details but in cases like these the suspect goes through a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether or not they are deemed fit to stand trial. I'm not sure what happens if they are deemed unfit.

This is just the most heartbreaking news. So sad for all the family and friends of NO, KL & AL. Sad for my city, this is not what we are about. A truly dark day indeed. I hope with all my heart that DG finds a scrap of conscience and tells LE what he has done with these people, who so did not deserve this.

And that this wasn't decided until 'everyone' on the case agreed with the results of allllllll of the bits of information leading to that conclusion.

He said that they met with the prosecutor that is handling the case yesterday and made the decision that the victims are no longer alive, and that charges will be laid.

Either missing a cog or thinks he's above the law. He also continued to use that dead child's identity even after serving time for the charge. Could mean either of the two.

Sadly he kind of has been above the law for years using stolen identities, right? Maybe he got way too cocky. Good point.

Praying their bodies are found. They deserve a decent resting place and loved ones need them found.

Wow. This is so horrible. Prayers for this family - including their entire extended family (DG's parents, sister, other siblings).

This isn't victim blaming, this is trying to understand how and why Nathan ended up in the middle of a premeditated murder where the victims were in the process of skipping town. There's something about this that just doesn't sit well with me.

Hopefully the facts will show this is just pure, horrible coincidence that he was there. That's surely more reassuring than thinking someone wanted him there. Life's full of little coincidences, some of them heartbreaking.

"Skipping town" is also to be proven, vs. retiring and moving house.

The chief said the conclusion was reached after examining the collected evidence "piece by piece, piece by piece, piece by piece, ...". I wonder if they found something relating to those chemicals that led them to conclude the victims were dead.

I hate to be gruesome but maybe forensics on the burn pile that was near the wood chipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member