Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The victims are deceased, so the Will should be processed. There are certainly expenses, and paperwork to complete, when someone is deceased, but most people should plan for that in order to avoid leaving a financial burden on their family. Last time my family dealt with a death, the single biggest expense was the coffin ... and that was taken out of the estate.

Yes, when my dad died (here in AB) a few years ago I was surprised at how easy settling the estate was. Mind you, it was a very simplistic and straight-forward affair, as he had already sold his house back in ON and there was no in-fighting among the beneficiaries. It was all handled by his bank; we didn't have to hire a lawyer at all.

But when my mom died a few decades ago in ON, it was a much more complicated affair and we did have to hire a lawyer. Even then, everything went to my dad, so it's not like it was a complex estate to unravel but it was more costly and time-consuming and had more red tape to wade through. AB makes it much easier to do.

I wonder how heavy the white building on the right would be? What it's sitting on as well? Cement? Could it be lifted with something like a jackall? Perhaps it covers something? The other two buildings don't seem to have like bases.

I'm wondering if the more noxious chemicals might be stored in there and would require a cement pad to prevent leaching into the soil?

Is gas used on farms only legally supposed to be used on farm vehicles that don't travel public roads?

If you have a farm, you can use the 'purple' (AKA 'marked') fuel. In addition to farm machinery use, you can use it in any vehicle that's registered under the farm that has the 'F' plate and those plates can be used to drive on public roads.

Here is a link that explains what a farm is, and some of the regulations thereof:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/faq7142?opendocument

We can buy muratic acid in our hardware stores.My hubby does exposed aggregate concrete driveways,on the side,and uses it to "burn" the concrete,thereby exposing the stones within.....

The business is closed, the house is sold, the house contents were liquidated during a three day estate sale, and, in terms of expenses, there are no funeral expenses at this time because there are no bodies. The final bills (phone, gas, etc.) have to be paid for the month of July. The family wants to put the house contents in storage, but that isn't a necessary expense given that the owners are deceased. What expenses might there be that I'm not able to anticipate?
Thanks otto. I think I am referring to NO parents and reports that neither one are working, instead they are grieving and dealing with this tragedy. Sometimes people assume that when one dies, there are funds which can help the family go through this. The purpose of the post was to clarify that is not always the case and funds are not always immediate.

We can buy muriatic acid in our hardware stores.My hubby does exposed aggregate concrete driveways,on the side,and uses it to "burn" the concrete,thereby exposing the stones within.....

My hubby uses muriatic in the farm shop. It sort of works like CLR, except more powerful

I agree the wording is really important. On the one hand LE was saying this is a missing persons case, we are hopeful we will find all 3. Then why not word the Amber Alert to reflect that he might be seen with either grandparent, though I accept that perhaps GD could have passed for his grandfather (gives me the creeps thinking about it). I guess I have always just chalked it up to poor wording that never got corrected. Remember also, the Alert was briefly ended and then reinstated. I think LE said it was just a mistake. I figure they were thinking at that point that no one survived and a problem in communication within LE resulting in the Alert being ended prematurely.

What's also interesting is that the AA stated that AL had a 'distinctive walk'.

I think everything LE has said(AND NOT SAID) in this case is extremely important.

1. The initial AA definitely made the public feel like AL had taken NO.

2. The whole thing about homicide investigators being normal in a missing person case always struck me as odd... I would think in a city of over 1million our police department would have a "missing persons" division that only handled missing person cases. I've watched enough Dateline/48Hours to know that normally you cannot get LE to take you seriously in a missing persons case, let alone section off entire city blocks and bring in homicide.

3. LE released images of the vehicle a few days after initial AA... They knew it was DG truck right away and clearly tried to find him for a few days before requesting public assistance. I believe all the stuff about the estate sale was to make DG feel comfortable, however, AL's son would have recognized his brother in law's farm truck immediately.

4. If you watch some of the earlier press releases you wil notice the body language and especially the eyes of the officers doing the media conferences... They seems so confident early on, but by thè time they released info on the green truck they are speaking monotonously and their eyes seems sad. Just my opinion, but I always put more weight into what isn't said by LE - and I notice even their verbal language lacks positivity after the first few days.

I think everything LE has said(AND NOT SAID) in this case is extremely important.

1. The initial AA definitely made the public feel like AL had taken NO.

2. The whole thing about homicide investigators being normal in a missing person case always struck me as odd... I would think in a city of over 1million our police department would have a "missing persons" division that only handled missing person cases. I've watched enough Dateline/48Hours to know that normally you cannot get LE to take you seriously in a missing persons case, let alone section off entire city blocks and bring in homicide.

3. LE released images of the vehicle a few days after initial AA... They knew it was DG truck right away and clearly tried to find him for a few days before requesting public assistance. I believe all the stuff about the estate sale was to make DG feel comfortable, however, AL's son would have recognized his brother in law's farm truck immediately.

4. If you watch some of the earlier press releases you wil notice the body language and especially the eyes of the officers doing the media conferences... They seems so confident early on, but by thè time they released info on the green truck they are speaking monotonously and their eyes seems sad. Just my opinion, but I always put more weight into what isn't said by LE - and I notice even their verbal language lacks positivity after the first few days.

I think early on LE was thinking robbery gone bad with a chance of them still being alive but once they realized who they were looking for with the green truck realized something more planned/serious happened.

Vehicles have to be refitted to burn propane, don't they?

Why would they have cause for another charge? Is gas used on farms only legally supposed to be used on farm vehicles that don't travel public roads?
If they have farm license plates they could burn purple in trucks. I've even seen farm plates on SUV's. I don't know if acreage owners can have farm plates though.

This is actually incorrect. Google maps show a line of hotels which is a little deceiving... I reside in Airdrie and the Motel 6 is the only hotel that would put DG in a good walking distance from the property and possibility of avoiding the RCMP. This hotel just opened not long ago and DGs choice in this location was very well thought out. It is a short walk across the highway and into some fields where you could travel completely undetected. There are a few hotels off East Lake Ave and a few spread out at the other end of the highway headed south. None put him as close as this one and as easily accessible to the property. All other hotels would force him to walk through a busy city and risk being seen. Very well planned on his part. I have been following this forum since the beginning and would like to thank everyone for the insight and thoughts. This is my first time posting so be gentle...I am still learning the ropes.

If he was trying to access his property I wonder if he had some cash stashed away he wanted to access.

I find it so strange no one seems to know DG. On other forms we always seem to get a past acquaintance comment on the person, often a school mate. Where are DG's school mates? He did go to school in Calgary, did he not? Also, I wonder where his meth lab was. That was the 90's. G's didn't move to the acreage until early 2000's.

If they have farm license plates they could burn purple in trucks. I've even seen farm plates on SUV's. I don't know if acreage owners can have farm plates though.

I believe you need to make $10,000 per year in order to qualify as a farm.

Did anyone else notice the house/yard seems to appear very 'sterile'? At first glance it appears very well taken care of but there are no flowers, really no signs of life. The back deck is empty, blinds are drawn. Its like as if the residents are gone on vacation for an extended period. It's been reported his parents were gone camping but he was still living there.
I wonder if his parents will want to return and what kind of disarray the searchers left for them. I think the parents knew a great deal about their son as he lived with them. One cannot harbour ill feelings for years and not have it affect their daily lives. I think he had an explosive temper and his parents lived in fear of him. I can't see how a 'loving' son could turn, on a dime, into a cold blooded murderer, especially a child murderer.

I did notice that in the google maps photos of the yard there were plants, presumably vegetables, growing in the garden behind the greenhouse. I am not sure of the date from the map but I am assuming it was within the last 5 years. I did notice there doesn't seem to be anything but dirt there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay