CANADA Canada- Amanda Antoni, 31, found dead in her basement, considered suspicious but ruled an accidental fall down stairs, Calgary, 26/10/15, *Netflix*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes I get that it would be cool seeing your own town and the family connection. Do you or Mum know any of the people featured retired campus police etc
I kept thinking I would but no. The accents were a nice slice of home though. We used to go to field trips to Kendall Hall to see plays and I went to summer camp there. Trenton State College is The College of New Jersey now but I noticed they didn’t say that at any point. Probably a condition of being allowed to film on campus!

Something we have to keep in mind is that there are three timeline points to consider:
  1. where exactly was the piggy bank located, and how was it positioned, before the accident,
  2. where were the chair and phone located at the time of the accident, and
  3. where were the chair and phone located 44 hours later when Amanda's body was discovered?
We know where and how the piggy bank is positioned after the accident. We don't know what that looked like beforehand. Nothing can be concluded about how she hit the piggy bank based on how it was found afterward.

There was a dog of unknown age, and one or more cats, in the house. Did they knock over the chair? They must have been upset with the smell of blood. Did the animals move the phone across the floor from one position to another during those 44 hours?

Her pants were not pulled down to her knees. Per Netflix, the waist of her pants was down a few inches. Was she wearing jeans, or pyjamas?

Just saw the Netflix UM episode focusing on this AA case, "Body in the Basement". It sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I 100% believe that this was a tragic, horrific accident. And, I don't believe foul play/a stranger in the house were involved at all. Here is my take on this. Obviously, this is all IMHO only:

It was proven that the husband had nothing to do with this, given that he had an alibi - i.e., he was out of town @ the time AA died.

I believe that AA was either impaired/disoriented due to the migraine & the drugs she took (for the migraine) & that this led to her tripping/falling down the basement steps....or, it's also possible she tripped on her dog. Her severe injuries were probably caused by her falling down the steep flight of steps. I have known of at least one case where someone did die from falling down their steps (resulting in a head injury), so this is absolutely possible.

Her clothes being in disarray could have been something she did herself due to her disorientation. I.e., the clothes being this way doesn't mean that someone else did this to her.

IMHO the dog not going down the steps to check up on AA is inconsequential. I agree it may have been spooked/scared due to the noise(s) caused by the fall; the smell of blood, etc. - i.e., apparently dogs have a far better sense of smell than humans.

Last edited:
Also:

AA showed no signs of assault.

Note there was no evidence of any DNA/fingerprints of anyone in the basement other than AA & her husband.

There was no sign of forced entry into the home, and it didn't appear that anything had been stolen.

There is one strangeness here. If someone invades and interrupts the phone call, the instinct would be to scream. Even if someone grabs your phone, you scream. She was not hit on the head upstairs, and I doubt she was speaking in the basement as the signal would be poorer there, or so I think. Strange that it got disconnected quietly.
Her husband said he heard the dog yelp and a crunch sound.

Might be no time to scream when caught off guard and shocked.

Last night I saw "Medical Detectives" and the murder of Kristine Fitzhugh in May 2000. She was "found" at the end of the stairs to her basement, when her hubby came home. First I thought, Amanda's case was shown; even a laundry basket was in the play.

It was interesting to see the investigation unfolding, from a dramatically fall because of "wrong shoes" (husband said so and shoes were staged by him) to murder, which in a brutally way occurred already in the kitchen or near to the kitchen, not at all at the end of stairs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back