CANADA Canada - Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou, 10, Montreal, 12 March 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...t-up-a-buddy-system-missing-childrens-network
[h=1]In wake of Ariel's disappearance, network shares tips to keep kids safe[/h] Although child abductions in Quebec are rare, there are a handful of attempted abductions each year, the Missing Children's Network says.

She said it’s very rare that predators use force to abduct a child. Instead, they make up stories about needing help to find a lost dog or carrying groceries up the stairs.

“Predators know how to speak with children,” Arcamone said. “They win the child over by asking them to do something. Kids want to help and they love feeling responsible.”

The fear some parents are feeling will likely linger for a few weeks and then people will go back to their day-to-day routine, she predicted.

“Right now, it’s very intense,” she said.
[h=3]Here are some tips to help keep your child safe.[/h]
  • Children should always ask permission before leaving the house and should call their parents when they reach a destination.
  • Use the buddy system by walking, playing and staying in groups of two or more because there’s safety in numbers.
  • Children do not have to answer an adult who speaks to them. They should stay “three giant steps” away from anyone who makes them feel uncomfortable.
  • If someone tries to grab a child, the child should scream: “This is not my dad or my mom. I need help.”
“Statistics show that we reduce the risk of unsolicited advances by 70 per cent just by being with someone else,” she said.

I hate to ask but have the parents taken lie detector tests? I am certain I would in a case like this just to get any suspicion out of the way so we could keep searching. I know Marc Klass did.
My heart breaks for this family.
I think it is possible this young man was kidnapped but I think it's more probable he slipped into the water. So sad in any event. But we can't stop looking for him until he is found!

I hate to ask but have the parents taken lie detector tests? I am certain I would in a case like this just to get any suspicion out of the way so we could keep searching. I know Marc Klass did.
My heart breaks for this family.
I think it is possible this young man was kidnapped but I think it's more probable he slipped into the water. So sad in any event. But we can't stop looking for him until he is found!

Lie detector tests are not used in court as they are not definitive evidence and offer varying results depending on the questioner, how they interpret results and the subject etc. For that reason, if I were a lawyer, I'd advise the parents NOT to take a lie detector test. I'd hate for them to do one, and have suspicion cast upon them as a result of some wonky test results!! Too often it just leads LE to have tunnel vision.

Why does the father think he was abducted did something happen recently to make him think so

Why does the father think he was abducted did something happen recently to make him think so

1) The second CCTV footage released to the public from a house next to the apartment complex appears to show Ariel glancing behind twice.
2) Other footage captured by a restaurant (but not yet released to media) is purported to show Ariel arriving at the apartments and shortly after a car appears. It is unknown whether the quality of this footage allows any conclusion to be drawn and the witness in the park at 2pm seems to surpass this as a lead. The family would like to speak to verify the witness for themselves but at last news that conversation has not happened. So I think the last "accurately recorded" images of Ariel walking fast and looking back twice (see 1) seems to be the "last know whereabouts" that the family are trusting.
This conclusion is my opinion only, based on statements of the family found in media but I have no direct knowledge of the father's thinking.

Links to the footage can be found in the first pages of this thread but perhaps if someone has them handy they can be posted again :)

Yes that is Ariel’s school. Wow I hadn’t realized it was that close. It’s just steps away.
Elementary schools have a before and after “daycare” program as well as being open on Ped days for parents who work. This is were Ariel’s friend was that day and where Ariel’s friends mother works as an educator. Gosh how great would it have been for Ariel to walk by the school/ schoolyard on his way and have seen his little friend!

GinaSeikwa, I didn't know that the school were (Ariel's friend) Ismael's mom went to work that Monday until 5:15 pm (as per interview), is also Ariel's school.
It makes sense because it's so close to Ariel's home, and I am guessing Ariel was used to walk by himself to and from school everyday.

Reading the interview, it wasn't very clear if the daycare where Ismael went that day was inside that school. Thank you for confirming that in fact, it is the same place.

All the locations are so close together, parents knew each other, had each other's phone numbers. How very sad about the communication failure, but hindsight is 20/20. Such an avoidable tragedy. :(

1) The second CCTV footage released to the public from a house next to the apartment complex appears to show Ariel glancing behind twice.
2) Other footage captured by a restaurant (but not yet released to media) is purported to show Ariel arriving at the apartments and shortly after a car appears. It is unknown whether the quality of this footage allows any conclusion to be drawn and the witness in the park at 2pm seems to surpass this as a lead. The family would like to speak to verify the witness for themselves but at last news that conversation has not happened. So I think the last "accurately recorded" images of Ariel walking fast and looking back twice (see 1) seems to be the "last know whereabouts" that the family are trusting.
This conclusion is my opinion only, based on statements of the family found in media but I have no direct knowledge of the father's thinking.

Links to the footage can be found in the first pages of this thread but perhaps if someone has them handy they can be posted again :)
rbbm.
Video footage of Jeffrey looking back.
https://globalnews.ca/video/4086871/surveillance-video-of-missing-montreal-boy-has-father-on-edge

Perhaps, but it's my observation that parents (and some other observers) tend to assume foul play over other possibilities. There are many reasons:

* if it was an abduction, there's hope he's being kept alive by someone.

* If it was possibily an abduction, how terrible to imagine you abandoned your child to his fate, without doing all you could to save him.

* the parent's perception about dangerous people being out there. There's indications the father was worried about Ariel walking alone, in the past. This could reflect the father's past experiences in life, or his susceptibility to media stories highlighting abduction, versus the many deaths by accident that are not covered by the media.

* the sense of "fault" "blame", can be projected onto someone else, an evil-doer. Even if it's too late for his son, that person could be caught and punished, absolving the family of, potentially, a lot of self-recrimination (totally unnecessary and self destructive, IMO)

well, something caught his attention.

Could have been anything, a siren, someone shouting, etc. He doesn't pause an instant.

ETA as the video continued it would show who passed by after him.

Green dots: Ariel walking, caught by CCTV cameras Numbers (1), (2), (3)

Number (1): Garage's CCTV footage

Number (2): Garage's CCTV footage

Number (3): House CCTV footage (Ariel turns twice)

Number (4): Restaurant's CCTV (we've only seen a still image)

Pink dots: pathway towards the park where a witness allegedly saw Ariel around 2 pm.

- CCTV cameras (1) and (2), from the Garage, do not capture the corner of Gouin and the train tracks, where Ariel would most likely have crossed the street.
Google street view here: https://goo.gl/maps/7zCDU3pd8EL2

- CCTV camera (3), from the house, only captures their side of the street, nothing showing the pathway.

Questions:

1) Did Ariel cross the street at any point in time, and headed towards the park (via pathways) after knocking the door at his friend's home, and getting no answer?

2) Does the Restaurant surveillance camera run all the time (24/7), or only activates and records when there is movement around their parking lot?

attachment.php

gouin.png

Constable Jean-Pierre Brabant said that while officers did not knock on doors in Ahuntsic-Cartierville, as they have in recent days, Wednesday’s efforts to locate Ariel involved continuing searches around des Bataliers Park and the shore of Rivière des Prairies. On Monday and Tuesday police divers ventured into the frigid waters of the river but were unable to find any trace of the boy.
The information from the woman is why the bulk of the search has been focused on the waterfront park.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1521673693

I can't find the video now but the apartment at "Habitations Gouin" where Ariel went is 1124. So it is the middle apartment of the fifth structure in Hazel's map. I am trying to find this video. It may be in Phei's link of a video that has some blank space and afterwards the video begins again. I may have also linked it at some point.

All of the unit numbers are on the grey stone at entrance to the units. https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.5460...4!1sKUIbf4wd_1HGlloakkmrUQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ETA: corrected to fifth structure

No progress made in search for 10-year-old Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou
Last Updated: March 21, 2018 7:05 PM EDT

Brabant said investigators continue to communicate with Ariel’s parents and that investigators are aware of a request made by the boy’s father, Kouadio Frederic Kouakou, to speak to the woman who spoke to his son in the park.

“We have heard the request, but so far no meeting has been held. On the other end, there is still an investigation that is ongoing — so for certain reasons we won’t comment on this. But we understand the father and his situation,” Brabant said.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-search-for-10-year-old-ariel-jeffrey-kouakou

I don't think the restaurant footage shows Ariel. Noone has said that. They said a car and shadowy figures.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

It's difficult to vanish without a trace from a public park near a busy road in the middle of the day - except via the river.

I don't think the restaurant footage shows Ariel. Noone has said that. They said a car and shadowy figures.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Well, yes, actually the family believes one of the figures to be Ariel.

On a separate point, I have been quizzing a couple of kids I know about what they would have done in Ariel's situation. Most said that they would hang around for a while on the stoop or try to pass some time nearby, thinking that the absence of the friend was temporary. I wonder if Ariel made several attempts to knock on the door...killing 20-30 minutes in the park between attempts.
One kid said that they would head back home and try to call their parents. Perhaps that's what Ariel started off to do, but took the scenic route and then decided to walk across to the park and perhaps even over to the island. I wonder if Ariel knew his parents' cell numbers by heart?

Police believe Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou drowned in Rivières des Prairies:

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...-search-for-10-year-old-ariel-jeffrey-kouakou

“We have camera footage that places him in the park. We don’t see him getting out of the park.”

This is very sad. It seems the police have video footage of Ariel going into the park but not leaving. The article also states that the police believe the witness who spoke to him at the park is very credible. The article also states the witness spoke to him at 11:25am, which is much earlier than was previously reported.

I understand that the family wants to believe he was abducted rather than falling into the river because it then means there is still a chance he is alive, but insulting the investigation and police isn’t going to help. As well, demanding to speak to the witness and insinuating that she is wrong isn’t going to help either. I’m not victim blaming, but I think they need to understand that Ariel falling into the river is the most likely case here. I pray that whatever the case that he is found quickly. I can’t imagine the pain of not knowing where your child is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that new timing is a game-changer. That would shrink the time frame from being seen on the garages cameras at 11:15 - to speaking with the witness in the park all in a matter of less than 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie