CANADA Canada - Ariel Jeffrey Kouakou, 10, Montreal, 12 March 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-police-missing-boy-drowned-theory-2018-1.4587471
[h=2]'Unprecedented' help[/h]As their investigation continues, police have received nearly 700 tips from the public so far. Lafrenière said more than 500 volunteers also showed up to help canvass the neighbourhood.

"It's unprecedented," said Lafrenière. "Over the past 25 years, I have rarely seen the public react this way."
Police are also asking residents who live near the river in Ahuntsic-Cartierville to be vigilant and contact police if they see any signs of Ariel.

Lafrenière said police officers and emergency responders will continue to search near the riverbank.

At the risk of sounding like a crazy psychic lady.... on the day Ariel went missing at around the same time (11:00 am- 12:00 pm) I drove to a park near an area I used to live in; after dropping my boyfriend at work. It was years since I visited this spot. It was the park near the Henri bourassa metro station that borders the River. I drove there and sat in my car but instead of coming out and walking around I decided to stay in the car. It’s was really cold and there wasn’t a cleared pathway to walk through. I really regret it, to the point of guilt, because the next day the news of Ariel’s disappearance was aired. I know the spot is further away from where the search is being held, but the current in that river is pretty strong on the Laval side. I can’t help but wonder why police haven’t extended their search/dives further east. I hope this case is not forgotten and that police continue to put their heart in the search.

I probably have missed this but who are the house guests in their home and is it possible one of them could have harmed him? Was there anyone there that he could have been afraid of, and seeked safety from that person by going to his friend's house? It seems odd to me, that he wouldn't return home after finding out his friend wasn't at his house.

Was Ariel afraid to go home?

The houseguests as far as what has been reported are a family that is staying with Ariels family due to a fire at their own home that left them with nowhere to stay.

I've also been wondering why the houseguests went to pick up Ariel from his friends house at 4:30? I believe that is what was reported somewhere in this thread? Why no phone call? Even just to say I'm on my way to get my son by the parents? Or we are sending our friends to pick him up? So even more time went by that no one knew Ariel was missing. And is it true that the police were called around 7:00 pm? Why the delay? I assume it was because they were checking everywhere and with everyone they knew for him before calling the police. But given that he was gone all day already shouldn't the police have been notified right away at 4:30 pm?

I've also been wondering why the houseguests went to pick up Ariel from his friends house at 4:30? I believe that is what was reported somewhere in this thread? Why no phone call? Even just to say I'm on my way to get my son by the parents? Or we are sending our friends to pick him up? So even more time went by that no one knew Ariel was missing. And is it true that the police were called around 7:00 pm? Why the delay? I assume it was because they were checking everywhere and with everyone they knew for him before calling the police. But given that he was gone all day already shouldn't the police have been notified right away at 4:30 pm?
I also read that report that said the houseguests went to pick-up Ariel's four year old sister from daycare and then decided to also pick-up Ariel.

This old news article, dated March 14th, 2018, says it was Ariel's mother who went to pick him up.
“Yesterday, I thought he was lost, but today I believe he was abducted,” the boy’s mother, Akouena Noëlla Bibie, told the Montreal Gazette on Tuesday night. “He knew the way to his friend’s house and it was only a few blocks away.”
Bibie said she knew something was amiss around 4 p.m. on Monday when she went to collect Ariel from his friend’s house and no one was home.

“I waited for five minutes and the friend’s older sister came home and said Ariel wasn’t there,” she recalled as she sat in her kitchen surrounded by friends from her native Ivory Coast.

She said neighbours told her they saw Ariel knocking on the front door just after 12:15 p.m.

The Grade 4 student, who had a pedagogical day on Monday, was unaware that his friend was spending the day with his own mother, who works for a daycare service at their local school.

Bibie then drove to the school and spoke to the friend and his mother. The woman told her that she hadn’t seen Ariel nor had any of his friends.

A woman who is living with Ariel’s family, following a fire in her home, said the boy was in good spirits when he left home.

“She questioned him about whether he had permission to go on his own and he told her that I had given him permission,” his mother said.
Bibie said that Monday was the first time her son had walked to his friend’s house on his own. His mother had a class and his father was working.
http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...missing-since-monday-in-ahuntsic-cartierville

This is where I read about the houseguests going to pick-up the little sister and Ariel.

Also, it says Ariel got permission from parents the night before, Sunday.
Very interesting video interview with the parents in French.
http://www.journaldemontreal.com/20...clenchee-pour-retrouver-ariel-jeffrey-kouakou

What I discovered:
His parents call him Ariel

He asked his parents on Sunday if he could go to his friends house the following day. In the past his father has always accompanied him and picked him up from this particular friends house but this is the first time they agreed to let him go alone since his father was working on Monday and his mother takes a class at school. He asked them on Sunday and was very excited when they said yes. He said he was going to get up early in the morning so he could spend all day there.

They have adult friends staying with them whose home had a fire therefore they were staying with Ariel and his parents.

Ariel has a younger sister who is 4

On Monday the mother left the home at 7AM and looked in on Ariel and he was still sleeping and she didn’t wake him.

The adults who were staying at Ariel’s later told the parents that Ariel left the house at 12:15pm. I assume this is who gave them a clothing description as well.

The parents friends were planning on picking up Ariel’s little sister at daycare at 4:30 and stopped by Ariel’s friends house on the way to also pick up Ariel and that’s when they discovered that the friends family hadn’t seen Ariel. Edit: I had originally said that the parents friends said that nobody was home at Ariel’s friends house but they actually said that nobody saw Ariel.

The father called the police at 7pm Monday night

The police immediacy searched the area, places he might go, shopping malls, McDonald’s. Ariel’s friends also helped search. The parents have full confidence in the police.

Ariel is shy, kind, well behaved, reserved. He spends his time watching tv or playing video games.

His father limited his video game time about three weeks ago because his grades went down in mathematics but it was limited only during the week. Ariel was permitted to play from Friday after school until Sunday night. His father still allowed him to watch tv and still accompanied him to soccer practice. Ariel wasn’t angry or upset. He understood. His father had told him that they had a deal and if Ariel performed well in school he would get what he wanted but he didn’t so there was a consequence and Ariel understood

Ariel’s mother was asked to speak about Ariel and she reiterated that he was shy, quiet, played well with his friends, was peaceful. She told a story about him wanting a $400 game that he had seen at his friends house and she laughed and said if you do well in school I will get you anything that you want.

They have not told the little sister yet that her brother is missing.

Please any French speakers feel free to add anything that I missed.

"We never went near the water — I know my son," he said.

"Maybe he would have gone near the water if it was something we usually did. He is a soccer kid. He would go see his friend to play soccer. He was going to see his friend, and when he left home, he did not say he was going near the water."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-police-search-10-year-old-boy-missing-1.4575490

I don't understand why you think the father is being ambiguous about this, as I explained before, it simply means Ariel wouldn't do things he's not comfortable doing.

I wonder when the police will release the footage of Ariel in the park to the public? Why has this not been released yet?

I don't understand why you think the father is being ambiguous about this, as I explained before, it simply means Ariel wouldn't do things he's not comfortable doing.

I wonder when the police will release the footage of Ariel in the park to the public? Why has this not been released yet?

This new information is HUGE! If the woman saw him a couple hours earlier in the park and they have video footage of him entering the park... why wasn't this shared with the media? Why hasn't that footage been shared? Why 2 pm and now 11:25 am? I really think that sadly he is in the river, I just don't understand all the confusion regarding the details.

I'm curious as to why there's such an outpouring of help. It's a good thing, but just wondering what is it about this case?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Because he is a child, a precious child and things like this hardly ever happen in Montreal or Canada.

My heart breaks for this family. It’s utterly devastating.

Ian Lafrenière, spokesperson for the SPVM:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...riel-jeffrey-kouakou-police-privilegie-noyade

The investigation is still ongoing.
LE can't say they are certain Ariel fell into the river, which is why the major crimes unit is still actively involved.
The witness and the footage confirm he was in the park, but there is no evidence he left.

He can't say with certainty, but an accident is the main theory LE are working on.

He thanks the population for helping with this massive search, alongside the tactical intervention squad, divers, sonars, the SQ, drones, mounted police, ATV, K9. An SQ profiler was also involved.

Regarding the father's press conference: He can't imagine being in the parents' shoes, he understands their need to hold on to the possibility their son is still alive.

He is putting out this information to guide the volunteers in their continued search for Ariel. There still is some hope something else happened to him, he stresses this investigation is not over, even though the likeliest possibility is that he fell into the river.

What footage shows him in the park? I haven't seen this.

My hart is with him and his family....beautiful very young man....hope you make your way home sweetie. X

This new information is HUGE! If the woman saw him a couple hours earlier in the park and they have video footage of him entering the park... why wasn't this shared with the media? Why hasn't that footage been shared? Why 2 pm and now 11:25 am? I really think that sadly he is in the river, I just don't understand all the confusion regarding the details.

Is this the same witness? How could the time be so off? 2:30 p.m. and now 11:25? Even with DST, this is a mess. I say show us the footage of him in the park to prove this.

Is this the same witness? How could the time be so off? 2:30 p.m. and now 11:25? Even with DST, this is a mess. I say show us the footage of him in the park to prove this.

Eye witness reports are almost never accurate...

Was there ice along the banks of the river if the current was so strong? Does the river have built up walls with a steep drop down into the river? I have a hard time with "falling into" the river. JMO

Was there ice along the banks of the river if the current was so strong? Does the river have built up walls with a steep drop down into the river? I have a hard time with "falling into" the river. JMO
Generally speaking it's flat across and melted part is open once the spring comes.on like this. You can't always tell what is the river's edge and what is open water underneath. (I grew up on this river)

Example.
480bdc58c26f00552857551e039bc574.jpg
37c879ed7978cbc39377558252efa19f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Generally speaking it's flat across and melted part is open once the spring comes.on like this. You can't always tell what is the river's edge and what is open water underneath. (I grew up on this river)

Example.
480bdc58c26f00552857551e039bc574.jpg
37c879ed7978cbc39377558252efa19f.jpg

Also there is a wall in that location that is brick but there isn't in most. Just trying to give an idea of how the ice/snow forms.

Here's another example.

c1529dca4f10df59dd98f824826a0e3f.jpg

Thanks for the images. He may have fallen from the stone wall into the river. I can't see him walking on the ice directly.

Thanks for the images. He may have fallen from the stone wall into the river. I can't see him walking on the ice directly.
That stone wall is just one example of that river's edge it definitely isn't all like that. In some areas it just looks like the rest of the ground. I actually know at least 2 adults who went through the ice this year. And many others were reported whom I didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member