Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who to believe, KD’s unnamed source or JK, regarding Apotex’s financial situation at the time of the murders. As LE have redacted much of the information from the ITOs recently released, relevant to the ongoing investigation, I’d go with JK. If indeed $50 million was asked to be refinanced by JS’s company, I don’t believe there was a dire urgency. One of the reasons is that it’s literally impossible to arrange large corporate financing within just a few days. $50 million would’ve only been a small drop in the bucket if indeed “Barry was scrambling”.

JMO

KD -
“Ever the gambler in business, Barry had lost a drug patent case in the summer of 2017 and Apotex was likely going to have to pay $580 million to a rival company in January 2018. My sources told me Barry had little cash liquidity and was scrambling for ways to pay....”
Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business

JK -
“In the weeks leading up to their deaths, Apotex lost a $500 million court case involving a drug patent. It had also just laid off numerous staff, and more cuts were coming.

While the information piqued the interest of investigators, Barry Sherman's long-time business partner Jack Kay told them it likely had nothing to do with the couple's deaths.

"[Barry] would not be fazed by Apotex's financial situation, as Apotex was only one part of Sherman's holdings, and they have other money," Kay told investigators, according to the ITO.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-honey-sherman-murder-2021-1.5860527

I agree wholeheartedly that JK is a reliable source on this matter. On all matters actually.
$500m is alot of money, but BS needing it to fund the lawsuit award would not have been the reason he asked JS to mortgage the properties. There was another reason underlying Bs' request, I am sure of it.

Who to believe, KD’s unnamed source or JK, regarding Apotex’s financial situation at the time of the murders. As LE have redacted much of the information from the ITOs recently released, relevant to the ongoing investigation, I’d go with JK. If indeed $50 million was asked to be refinanced by JS’s company, I don’t believe there was a dire urgency. One of the reasons is that it’s literally impossible to arrange large corporate financing within just a few days. $50 million would’ve only been a small drop in the bucket if indeed “Barry was scrambling”.

JMO

KD -
“Ever the gambler in business, Barry had lost a drug patent case in the summer of 2017 and Apotex was likely going to have to pay $580 million to a rival company in January 2018. My sources told me Barry had little cash liquidity and was scrambling for ways to pay....”
Barry Sherman’s son says his father asked him to repay tens of millions of dollars, two weeks before murders, but Barry was ‘all in’ with son’s business

JK -
“In the weeks leading up to their deaths, Apotex lost a $500 million court case involving a drug patent. It had also just laid off numerous staff, and more cuts were coming.

While the information piqued the interest of investigators, Barry Sherman's long-time business partner Jack Kay told them it likely had nothing to do with the couple's deaths.

"[Barry] would not be fazed by Apotex's financial situation, as Apotex was only one part of Sherman's holdings, and they have other money," Kay told investigators, according to the ITO.”
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/barry-honey-sherman-murder-2021-1.5860527

I agree wholeheartedly that JK is a reliable source on this matter. On all matters actually.
$500m is alot of money, but BS needing it to fund the lawsuit award would not have been the reason he asked JS to mortgage the properties. There was another reason underlying Bs' request, I am sure of it.

We agree, I’m certain JK would know whether Barry was “scrambling” as he was Vice-Chairman of Apotex at that time. The other reason I don’t believe it - Barry had plans to fly to Florida at Xmas to join Honey and stay till the end of January. That’s not the actions of a man who’s life-long company was about to get wiped out.

So what other information has this same source provided KD? Not to continually rag on unnamed sources but if one scandalous detail is not true, a reader cannot determine what other information KD has reported from that same unnamed source in order to weigh credibility.

JMO

yes but I am imagining that the bank of Jonny is much easier for AP to deal with than the bank of Barry. After all. Jon is essentially no lending to his own business.

When one shareholder of a company has a larger stake in it than the other, that’s often a time when the minority party parts ways.

We really can’t assume the business between JS and AP is a life’s endeavour, companies often change ownership. Because it’s a privately incorporated company, public reporting isn’t required.

KDs interview with JS, who knows maybe JS was intentionally creating fluff? He wasn’t under oath. The reason KD was aware of the mortgage is because it was registered on the title of the business’s civic address. The dollar amount registered can be much different than the outstanding balance, depending if it was either fully drawn or paid down.

Earlier I recall JS refusing to answer KDs questions about the financing referred to in the mysterious email, instead he claimed to have provided everything there was to know about it directly to LE. Then suddenly he turns an about face and volunteers information to KD making it appear he might have had a motive to murder his father involving the demand for repayment from his father of this $50 million loan, reasons unknown.

I think there’s much more to this story. It doesn’t make sense to me....it’s as if KD is reporting about a parallel but mostly anonymous investigation going the opposite direction of that of TPS. JMO

I have thought the exact same thing, and I am also sure that there was an underlying reason for BS demanding payment from JS. It seemed so out of character for BS to recall payment on a loan freely given to his son because of an Apotex loss in court. Apotex made BS a multi billionaire despite losing significant patent law suits in court. That's the way he ran his generic drug business. Even if Apotex was experiencing financial difficulty, BS obviously had the means to easily fund the court awarded damages without involving his son's loan. The fact that BS asked his son to repay this loan was a red flag for me.

His financial generosity and support given to his family and friends (and their kids) in their business ventures is well documented. JS has stated how happy and supportive his dad was to support his business ventures. The only other time we know that he recalled a loan was with KW, when he felt betrayed by Kerry's law suit against him. I won't address that issue, but I seem to recall (paraphrasing) that someone who knew Barry well said that he was a gentle, generous person, but if he found out that you betrayed him, he would make you regret it.

If Apotex lost a lawsuit, and owed money, very unlikley Barry would need to supply personal funds.
Without looking at Apotex financial statements to confirm, the following are sources of funds often available to companies.
1) Apotex could delay the payment, by filing legal appeals to the court ruling. That could take years.
2) Apotex could access their Corporate Lines of Credit.
3) Apotex could mortgage some of their real estate.
4) Apotex could sell and lease back some assets.

I sense that asking Jonathon for the $50 million back because of the lost legal case was a ruse. More likely Barry did not want to be the Bank for JS & AP's business anymore. Who knows, maybe BS was tired of JS bringing AP into the Sherman family (business) affairs. It would be interesting to know what BS's real feelings were in regard to AP.

If Apotex lost a lawsuit, and owed money, very unlikley Barry would need to supply personal funds.
Without looking at Apotex financial statements to confirm, the following are sources of funds often available to companies.
1) Apotex could delay the payment, by filing legal appeals to the court ruling. That could take years.
2) Apotex could access their Corporate Lines of Credit.
3) Apotex could mortgage some of their real estate.
4) Apotex could sell and lease back some assets.

I sense that asking Jonathon for the $50 million back because of the lost legal case was a ruse. More likely Barry did not want to be the Bank for JS & AP's business anymore. Who knows, maybe BS was tired of JS bringing AP into the Sherman family (business) affairs. It would be interesting to know what BS's real feelings were in regard to AP.

Just pointing out, that leaves us creating our own narrative, picking and choosing what pieces of what KD writes best fit it.

“I had been told by several sources that in late 2017, Barry Sherman’s company, the generic drug maker Apotex, was experiencing financial difficulties. That was confirmed by a recent release of police search warrant documents following a court challenge by the Toronto Star, which revealed Apotex had gone through a round of layoffs and was facing another. Ever the gambler in business, Barry had lost a drug patent case in the summer of 2017 and Apotex was likely going to have to pay $580 million to a rival company in January 2018. My sources told me Barry had little cash liquidity and was scrambling for ways to pay. The sources said Barry wanted Jonathon and his business partner to help by putting mortgages on their chain of nine self storage properties, all purchased with interest-free loans from Barry....

.....Barry adds (in the email), “I am certain we will be able to advance further substantial funds to you, if wanted for further investments, beginning in 2019.”...”

yes but I am imagining that the bank of Jonny is much easier for AP to deal with than the bank of Barry. After all. Jon is essentially no lending to his own business.
Agreed 100%. The depth of that JS + AP relationship is very intriguing. Why does he need Adam in every aspect of his life, makes you wonder if it bothers his husband? It would annoy any spouse I suspect.

I have explained my theory many times before on this website and I don't want to bore anyone, but for those of you who are recent arrivals, I shall concisely repeat my belief that this was indeed M/S: the couple had an argument which turned physical...BS,without full intent, injured HS and she died. Not wanting to go down in history as a murderer, he concocted the scenario whereby they were both found dead by the pool. Did he do all the steps himself or did he have someone to assist ? I don't know. We have an expression in French "une grosse tete".....BS had a grosse tete...[loose translation: big head]....full of himself and highly intelligent and ending up getting what he wants. People with that temperament can usually come up with seemingly impossible solutions. Just look at his past track record and you will see what I mean.

thank you for sharing CAMBRIAN

Everyone is permitted to have their opinion. It is sites like these that allow us to share those opinions.

Personally, I have made my decision that it is not a M/S, my opinion is based on evidence and facts reported and not a stereotype of how people with that temperament would act.

Bobbi Pearl

Just pointing out, that leaves us creating our own narrative, picking and choosing what pieces of what KD writes best fit it.

“I had been told by several sources that in late 2017, Barry Sherman’s company, the generic drug maker Apotex, was experiencing financial difficulties. That was confirmed by a recent release of police search warrant documents following a court challenge by the Toronto Star, which revealed Apotex had gone through a round of layoffs and was facing another. Ever the gambler in business, Barry had lost a drug patent case in the summer of 2017 and Apotex was likely going to have to pay $580 million to a rival company in January 2018. My sources told me Barry had little cash liquidity and was scrambling for ways to pay. The sources said Barry wanted Jonathon and his business partner to help by putting mortgages on their chain of nine self storage properties, all purchased with interest-free loans from Barry....

.....Barry adds (in the email), “I am certain we will be able to advance further substantial funds to you, if wanted for further investments, beginning in 2019.”...”

Yes but that I see it as a two-way street, we are at KD mercy, he is really the only investigative reporter telling us "his" story. Do not get me wrong I like his storytelling and do think he has a lot to offer and it is accurate information he has shared.

In the beginning, we had multiple outlets using alternative wording and sharing specific details they could from their interviews and reporters' perspectives /experiences. Or maybe JK was the only one with that opinion so KD himself ruled it out? I to believe JK over KD statements for this topic, JK knew him as a businessman better than anyone and reviewing his personal history he is not emotionally connected to things and from other emails, to JS we can see he knows he can make money somewhere every day.

We as the public can see that (JS/AP return funds ASAP) reasoning that JS shared is questionable. It does not make sense to me for Barry to be so focused on 50 - 60 mil to use to pay Apotex bills. The warehouse in the US that he just bought was 50Mil. The new house was to be 30Mil, Honey was to be gifted hundreds of Mil. This is the opposite action of someone concerned about paying a fine to the government.

I have come to the same conclusion.

KDs interview with JS, who knows maybe JS was intentionally creating fluff? He wasn’t under oath. The reason KD was aware of the mortgage is because it was registered on the title of the business’s civic address. The dollar amount registered can be much different than the outstanding balance, depending if it was either fully drawn or paid down.

Earlier I recall JS refusing to answer KDs questions about the financing referred to in the mysterious email, instead he claimed to have provided everything there was to know about it directly to LE. Then suddenly he turns an about face and volunteers information to KD making it appear he might have had a motive to murder his father involving the demand for repayment from his father of this $50 million loan, reasons unknown.

I think there’s much more to this story. It doesn’t make sense to me....it’s as if KD is reporting about a parallel but mostly anonymous investigation going the opposite direction of that of TPS. JMO
It seems to me possible JS didn't want this financial issue to be leaked by KD, as some secret creating yet more drama for KD to reveal from alleged insider sources. IMO, he had no choice, once KD asked him, but to reveal the whole story, to show he had nothing to hide.

Whatever was happening, regarding Barry and his financial arrangements, IMO it's just as likely what we don't know, that's significant.

We as the public can see that (JS/AP return funds ASAP) reasoning that JS shared is questionable. It does not make sense to me for Barry to be so focused on 50 - 60 mil to use to pay Apotex bills. The warehouse in the US that he just bought was 50Mil. The new house was to be 30Mil, Honey was to be gifted hundreds of Mil. This is the opposite action of someone concerned about paying a fine to the government.
Not sure I'm reading you correctly, but I don't interpret Barry's scheme as a demand to pay back anything. IMO, all BS was doing was formalizing an informal arrangement, that BS had loaned $50 million in a verbal agreement with his son, now he wanted to legally register it. A mortgage, of course, is just a way to slowly pay back a loan, from the profits of the business. It's an incentive to keep a business profitable, which is possibly why it was never a gift: many fathers want their sons to develop business skills, not become wastrels.

I haven't researched closely enough, but the interest was still probably zero, right?

IMO, one reason for this could be just BS putting his affairs in order, creating clear legal and financial arrangements, especially in case of his own or JS's death.

Agreed 100%. The depth of that JS + AP relationship is very intriguing. Why does he need Adam in every aspect of his life, makes you wonder if it bothers his husband? It would annoy any spouse I suspect.
There is a relationship status, so-called "Sister Wives", so maybe there is also such a thing as "Brother Husbands'' ....jk (sort of)
speculation, imo.

Not sure I'm reading you correctly, but I don't interpret Barry's scheme as a demand to pay back anything. IMO, all BS was doing was formalizing an informal arrangement, that BS had loaned $50 million in a verbal agreement with his son, now he wanted to legally register it. A mortgage, of course, is just a way to slowly pay back a loan, from the profits of the business. It's an incentive to keep a business profitable, which is possibly why it was never a gift: many fathers want their sons to develop business skills, not become wastrels.

I haven't researched closely enough, but the interest was still probably zero, right?

IMO, one reason for this could be just BS putting his affairs in order, creating clear legal and financial arrangements, especially in case of his own or JS's death.

To clarify, I do not think Barry had a scheme, from all reports he had no filter, he said it as he saw it. I think he had another reason why he asked for them to repay the loan, it is JS that has reported it as an interest-free loan with no term end date or payment structure.

Barry suggested his son go and get funding from somewhere else and to pay up in full, Barry was not looking to register anything. Understandable that the 3 other siblings did not have as much $/large loans as JS but he did not ask any of them to pay up? Could be they make payments or have a concrete agreement they follow, we will never know why.

Thank you Bobbi Pearl. The criticism of my theory that was posted above reveals that the person who critiqued me had not read carefully my analysis. I clearly indicated this: Did he do all the steps himself or did he have someone to assist ? I don't know.
It is not impossible that BS had someone help him complete the ghastly deed. With BS thousand of millions, a paid accomplice would be easy to find and vanish to live richly on a Caribbean paradise. It's a theory, nothing more-nothing less.... and it does hold water.

I believe he asked JS and AP to mortgage the properties (ie with a commercial lender), and repay $50-$60M to Barry. That is not the same as BS simply registering a mortgage on the properties but not getting any return of the money he advanced.

Dec 15 Report of 2 Victims?
just reread a report from the Friday they were found, note by 11pm that night and all the info they had thus far - that they use the wording "2 victims"
"Officers said the two victims were pronounced dead at the scene."
Apotex founder Barry Sherman and his wife Honey found dead
@Bobbi Pearl True, but -
1. Reporter did not attribute ^ quote to officers by name & title/rank.
Who said it? Did speakers actually use term "victims"? Happens a lot w no ill intentions.
2. Const. D. Hopkinson: “The circumstances of their deaths appear suspicious and we are treating it that way..." bbm LE could not give a definitive MoD (really, how could they?), so imo made a deliberately vague stmt to assure family & public that LE will not overlook MOD possibilities of suicide, homicide, while not ruling out accidental, natural causes, or undetermined. Nothing wrong w that, imo.
3. Published same day as bodies were found.
Seems overly optimistic imo to expect LE to accurately report MoD, before Med Examiner has a chance to examine bodies & conduct autopsies.
Not trying to cast stones at anyone, just saying I don't take all MSM content as 100% true and accurate. my2ct, could be wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you Bobbi Pearl. The criticism of my theory that was posted above reveals that the person who critiqued me had not read carefully my analysis. I clearly indicated this: Did he do all the steps himself or did he have someone to assist ? I don't know.
It is not impossible that BS had someone help him complete the ghastly deed. With BS thousand of millions, a paid accomplice would be easy to find and vanish to live richly on a Caribbean paradise. It's a theory, nothing more-nothing less.... and it does hold water.

...just curious how the ‘assistant’ was paid in your theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop