Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Canadian pharmaceuticals billionaireBarry Sherman*failed to implement a succession plan at his Apotex business before his death last week, two business associates told Reuters, potentially leaving it vulnerable to takeover approaches.

As reported in Haaretz.com (link below)
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/jewish/news/1.831024

So extremely intelligent businessman had no succession plan? Making the business vulnerable?

I didn't think it was a publicly listed company. Can there be a takeover of a private company?

:thinking: maybe there is 'vulnerability'..... :dunno:

From Dec 1 https://canntrust.ca/canntrust-holdings-inc-taking-top-pick-target/

From Dec 4 https://canntrust.ca/canntrust-holdings-inc-trst-v-equity-financing-phase-2-expansion/

From Dec 18 https://canntrust.ca/2503-2/

<modsnip>

Give me a specific quote where police are cast as &#8220;victims&#8221; - that&#8217;s another charged word. Who is casting them as &#8220;victims&#8221; and what impact does it have on anything? With specificity, how is it relevant to the objective facts?

Please provide a source that this was in fact a &#8220;first impression&#8221;. That is a very strong assertion.<modsnip>

<modsnip> You yourself previously referenced a first (or initial) impression in an unofficial report. ?

There's been much discussion about what police initially saw/may have seen when entering the pool room/were first impressed by/thought made sense/loosely concluded, and a host of other word usage that all means the same thing - they noted things when they found two hanged and deceased people and potentially a second crime scene. For me, this falls loosely under "first impression(s), and that's what I meant. The family called the reference to manner of death "irresponsible" rumors. The Star was more polite and called it police "confirmation" of probing the possibility of "murder-suicide". The title of the article below refers to it as "the working theory". I call all of it police "blabbering" because the information came from police, according to the report. I guess another way to say it is, I think police talking to the press about manner of death in an ongoing investigation is a poor decision, no matter what word we use for it.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...gating-death-of-billionaire-and-his-wife.html
"Toronto police are investigating the possibility that the deaths of billionaire Barry Sherman and his wife were a murder-suicide &#8212; a theory the family is rejecting as &#8220;irresponsible&#8221; rumors.
The bodies of Sherman, 75, and his wife, Honey, were found in their North York mansion just before noon Friday.
Officially, Toronto police have released little information about the deaths, beyond that they were deemed suspicious. But police sources confirm to the Star that police are now probing the possibility that they were a murder-suicide."

And I'm not going to quote-search a term I didn't cite as quoted content. The police have been said to be performing tasks and using unnecessary resources because the family demanded it. I don't see the police as being coerced or forced into needless activity as if they are victims of family demands. So, the "specificity" of my point about facts is exactly what I posted previously:

We can't have it both ways - the police merely doing the bidding of the rich, and the police professionally in command of their own investigation. That is, the police are functional adults. It would seem that they are looking for fact-based evidence when searching sewers and roofs and cars. If not, I don't think we can blame the family.

I wonder if there would be any difference in life insurance payments should it be ruled a murder suicide rather than a double homicide?

I wonder if they even had any life insurance, since apparently they didn't live large and were frugal.

I think both suicide and homicide have clauses....I know suicide does, for a two year period.

They may have been part of a group policy through the company, or, insurance may have been something that was viewed as essential and they had their own personal life insurance.

I wonder if there would be any difference in life insurance payments should it be ruled a murder suicide rather than a double homicide?

I wonder if they even had any life insurance, since apparently they didn't live large and were frugal.

I think there is a time limit from the purchase date of life-insurance and suicide.. maybe it’s a year’s grace.

It’s interesting if frugal would mean no insurance or good planning for cashing in later.

I didn't think it was a publicly listed company. Can there be a takeover of a private company?
No. In order for there to be a takeover, there has to be stock available on the market for a buyer.

Presuming the bulk of the stock goes to the kids, they can certainly choose to sell the company, but that's just a sale, not a takeover.

It's quite likely that executives and management were given equity positions as part of their compensation.

The smart thing would be to take the company public. Massive amounts of money to be made with an IPO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Has there been any discussion about their deaths taking place during Hanukkah?

I think both suicide and homicide have clauses....I know suicide does, for a two year period.

They may have been part of a group policy through the company, or, insurance may have been something that was viewed as essential and they had their own personal life insurance.

I can't see how life insurance would have anything to do with this case. He was 75 years old, the premiums would have been more than the benefit. Insurance is based on risk. The risk of a 75 and 70 year old dying would have been huge, especially with Honey's past cancer diagnosis.
There would be no insurance benefit that would match the wealth that they would leave as part of their will.

Given that he was no longer involved in the day-to-day operations, was no longer president, no longer CEO, and hadn't been for five years,, his succession plan for the continued operation of the company had certainly been implemented.

I did read something about the execs wanting to take the company public. Since his kids apparently weren't interested in being involved with the business, maybe he had intended to take the company public prior to his death. Maybe that's what is being referred to as the unimplemented succession plan. Doesn't really make sense, though, because the family will likely agree, and they can arrange things so that the family effectively retains control.

If LE is doing all of these searchss, it seems to me then that the murder/ suicide theory is not very apparent. If it was obvious, there would be no need for roof looks or sewer searches,

Where is Barry’s car? What kind of car is the blue one that was parked in the driveway?

How many parking spots are in the front of the house? Could staff park in the front, or where were they expected to park?

Given that he was no longer involved in the day-to-day operations, was no longer president, no longer CEO, and hadn't been for five years,, his succession plan for the continued operation of the company had certainly been implemented.

I did read something about the execs wanting to take the company public. Since his kids apparently weren't interested in being involved with the business, maybe he had intended to take the company public prior to his death. Maybe that's what is being referred to as the unimplemented succession plan. Doesn't really make sense, though, because the family will likely agree, and they can arrange things so that the family effectively retains control.

I don't think it matters what his executives wanted. He owned it lock, stock and barrel and he did not want to make it a public company. I think that he wanted complete control. I am not sure that I blame him. He had made a grand living out of the company, why give up control of it?

If LE is doing all of these searchss, it seems to me then that the murder/ suicide theory is not very apparent. If it was obvious, there would be no need for roof looks or sewer searches,

Where is Barry&#8217;s car? What kind of car is the blue one that was parked in the driveway?

How many parking spots are in the front of the house? Could staff park in the front, or where were they expected to park?

Or they don't want to be accused later of tunnel vision, incompetence, or missing something by the "Seconday Investigation" team.

I like the part that he showed them how to do surveillance......oh really....one has to get a private investigators license to legally do surveillance, if not you would have a ton of Sam spades in the classified ads.
This detective sounds like a real stand up guy. I sincerely hope the Sherman family get the answers they are looking for.

Somebody knew someone in Health Canada to be the first LP to get international status.
Gee I wonder what strings were played.

https://www.profitconfidential.com/...rust-stock-marijuana-stock-exponential-gains/

I think there is a time limit from the purchase date of life-insurance and suicide.. maybe it’s a year’s grace.

It’s interesting if frugal would mean no insurance or good planning for cashing in later.

As discussed in earlier posts...one or two year from date of purchasing the life insurance. Depending on the company and policy.

As discussed in earlier posts...one or two year from date of purchasing the life insurance. Depending on the company and policy.

I would bet an insurance company would have lots of fine print in there.

If they had life insurance, I doubt if it was purchased iwhen they were in their 60&#8217;s. If they purchased it, it would have been years ago. Why exactly would they need life insurance?

If they had life insurance, I doubt if it was purchased iwhen they were in their 60&#8217;s. If they purchased it, it would have been years ago. Why exactly would they need life insurance?

My superannuation account has a life insurance account attached to it, but now that I am Honey's age it is worth pocket change. When I was young it was worth a lot of money.

If she controlled everything from what he wore, right down to what he ate, who's to say he wasn't the victim here?

Actually, amongst the discussion about things that might be signs of suicidal thoughts, I recall someone injecting the idea that HS might not have been the victim in this.

Although not the stereotypical murder-suicide, it's an interesting angle to ponder.

It hasn't been confirmed by police that Honey was moved to the pool, but there weren't any leaks that it was Barry who was moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro