CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if there is any old mine shafts near the ranch or near where the horse was found? Or do mines get filled and closed over after they are no longer used? is there some kind of map that would mark where mines are in the area? just a thought.

IMO the owner has a personal connection with the ranch. He is the contact person for the gift shop, his name is out here.
I would not rule out a civil suit. Despite different laws, suits can be brought. It is the insurance company that settles, afterall. Moo

Sorry I was totally spelling it wrong, I thought wow, did I miss somethign along the way. NOPE, just a spelling lesson.

does anyone know if there is any old mine shafts near the ranch or near where the horse was found? Or do mines get filled and closed over after they are no longer used? is there some kind of map that would mark where mines are in the area? just a thought.
Not sure about mines....probably yes, since there are mining businesses in the area. I did find this to be interesting though, linked previously about tourism in Nicola Valley, on Nicola Lake and especially in Monck Provincial Park.

From the article:
Monck Provincial Park is located on the shores of the lake, at a site used in centuries past as a First Nations village (depressions, known as quiggly holes, from the local type of indigenous pit house, are still evident).

And welcome to Websleuths @Darkpanda

Last edited:
SD
Wanted to post history of Nicola ValleybRanch which is the provinces second largest privately owned ranch.
However, I need to check with SillyBilly to be sure content is within TOS.

Is Nicola Valley Ranch the second largest? The Gang Ranch to the West, over the west side of the Fraser River, is huge. I believe an Arab sheik has owned the Gang for several years? And in the vicinity of the Nicola Valley Ranch, is the huge Douglas Lake Ranch, which I thought would be #2. Is the Douglas Lake Ranch not privately owned anymore? If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. jmo

Is Nicola Valley Ranch the second largest? The Gang Ranch to the West, over the west side of the Fraser River, is huge. I believe an Arab sheik has owned the Gang for several years? And in the vicinity of the Nicola Valley Ranch, is the huge Douglas Lake Ranch, which I thought would be #2. Is the Douglas Lake Ranch not privately owned anymore? If I'm wrong, I stand corrected. jmo
Owner to douglas lake also owns a lot of stuff, might be under a corp name.

Owner to douglas lake also owns a lot of stuff, might be under a corp name.

Yes I’ve noticed it mentioned in Merritt tourist info that Douglas Lake Ranch is the largest “working ranch” in Canada. How that’s measured, if it’s through land ownership, total revenue, number of employees or some other way, I don’t know.

“...RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says the scope of the search hasn’t changed much since Ben Tyner first disappeared.

“In January when the snow was covered, you know you’re not going to be able to see everything,” she said. “You know you’re hopeful at that point that Mr. Tyner was going to be found alive and that this wouldn’t be a recovery. That being said, you never know, stranger things have happened, so we have to hold out that little bit of hope.”...”
Search resumes for cowboy missing in B.C. since the end of January

Yes I’ve noticed it mentioned in Merritt tourist info that Douglas Lake Ranch is the largest “working ranch” in Canada. How that’s measured, if it’s through land ownership, total revenue, number of employees or some other way, I don’t know.

I think it is based on land size.

I was looking for any unusual information associated with the ranch and there are two points that interest me. First there is a new strain of bovine TB, which is a concern - although it pre-dates Ben's employment. The other is unethical practice of encroachment by the Douglas Lake Cattle Company. If the Nicola Ranch owners were not fully aware of their property boundaries and assets and, for example, Tyner became aware of encroachment, cattle theft, or tampering with the health of the herd, someone might want to prevent him from taking action.

Two points that I find interesting are:

"Komal's update notes the four confirmed cases in the Nicola Valley herd include the first cow confirmed to have the disease when it was slaughtered in October of 2018.

None of the animals entered the food chain, and Komal says there is no risk to the food supply or human health.​

Tissue testing of the originally-infected cow revealed the TB strain as "distinct from any cases previously detected in Canadian wildlife or domestic livestock."

Bovine tuberculosis in Nicola Valley 'never before' seen in Canada

There's obviously some controversy related to the Douglas Lake Cattle Company:

"The Douglas Lake Cattle Company has faced many controversies. It has been claimed that early on, the ranch's land holdings were expanded by pressing large amounts of cattle into the pastures of smaller neighbours. While the cattle would later be removed the damage was done. With their feed for the year consumed by Douglas Lake's herd, the homesteaders would be forced to sell. Douglas Lake Cattle Company has also aggressively restricted access to both private and public lands. By buying up thin strips of land along major arteries they are able to control wide tracts of public range. In many cases locked gates were placed where Douglas Lake has no legal claim to the property. While this is claimed to preserve grasslands, some say it appears to be a business maneuver. Douglas Lake Cattle Company charges up to $100.00 a day to fly fish their private lakes (that they maintain by stocking, cleaning, aerating, etc.). There are public lakes that you can access for free (Douglas Lake is public) or pay an access fee (Salmon Lake)."​

link

It's been some time since I've been to the Douglas Lake ranch but I believe it's calculated on land ownership, size of cattle herds and likely includes crown land leases. They were large enough that they had managers of various divisions and I have one friend who was manager of the heifer division for a number of years.

According to their own website, beyond land ownership, they utilize 480,000 acres of crown land for summer grazing.

They are one of very few ranches that still breed their own horses and maintain a large band of mares and stallions, with a goal of breeding old style Quarter horses and the horses are trained on site.

I think it is based on land size.

I was looking for any unusual information associated with the ranch and there are two points that interest me. First there is a new strain of bovine TB, which is a concern - although it pre-dates Ben's employment. The other is unethical practice of encroachment by the Douglas Lake Cattle Company. If the Nicola Ranch owners were not fully aware of their property boundaries and assets and, for example, Tyner became aware of encroachment, cattle theft, or tampering with the health of the herd, someone might want to prevent him from taking action.

Two points that I find interesting are:

"Komal's update notes the four confirmed cases in the Nicola Valley herd include the first cow confirmed to have the disease when it was slaughtered in October of 2018.

None of the animals entered the food chain, and Komal says there is no risk to the food supply or human health.​

Tissue testing of the originally-infected cow revealed the TB strain as "distinct from any cases previously detected in Canadian wildlife or domestic livestock."

Bovine tuberculosis in Nicola Valley 'never before' seen in Canada

There's obviously some controversy related to the Douglas Lake Cattle Company:

"The Douglas Lake Cattle Company has faced many controversies. It has been claimed that early on, the ranch's land holdings were expanded by pressing large amounts of cattle into the pastures of smaller neighbours. While the cattle would later be removed the damage was done. With their feed for the year consumed by Douglas Lake's herd, the homesteaders would be forced to sell. Douglas Lake Cattle Company has also aggressively restricted access to both private and public lands. By buying up thin strips of land along major arteries they are able to control wide tracts of public range. In many cases locked gates were placed where Douglas Lake has no legal claim to the property. While this is claimed to preserve grasslands, some say it appears to be a business maneuver. Douglas Lake Cattle Company charges up to $100.00 a day to fly fish their private lakes (that they maintain by stocking, cleaning, aerating, etc.). There are public lakes that you can access for free (Douglas Lake is public) or pay an access fee (Salmon Lake)."​

link

Here’s a Dec/18 article about a court ruling against Douglas Lake Ranch in favour of Nicola Valley Fish and Game Club. While this does not relate directly to NR it does emphasize hostilities related to public access of lakes and rivers in the area.

B.C. angler 'overwhelmed' at winning lake access case against billionaire ranch owners
“The David and Goliath court case saw a small fish and game club take on an American billionaire ranch owner for public access to lakes near Merritt.”

But Jan/19, an article indicating the ruling is being appealed.
Ranch owner appeals judge’s order not to block access to local lakes - Merritt Herald

Last edited:
I do wonder if Douglas Cattle Company was encroaching on Nicole Ranch lands, as they have done in the past, or tampering with the cattle. If Ben was good at his job, he would be a threat to anyone who was getting away with unethical or illegal practices prior to his arrival. The report on a new foreign strain of bovine TB was released on January 22, 2019.

upload_2019-4-12_11-34-37.png

Lots of information on this map:

Geocortex Viewer for HTML5

If the Douglas Cattle Company was grazing on Nicola Ranch land or tampering with cattle, they could damage the economic stability of the ranch, and, as they've done in the past, then purchase the ranch.

Another prior legal battle from 2018 over public access to Corbett Lake, not sure of the outcome though. These ongoing lawsuits likely have no connection to Ben’s disappearance except it might be indicative of an resentment and tension between local outdoor sporting enthusiasts and ranchers in general. But if Americans companies are being blamed, did Ben walk into a volatile situation he wasn’t aware of? —- totally this is my wild speculation only.

“...Corbett Lake is said to be surrounded by private property, owned by three different groups — Douglas Lake Cattle Company, Nicola Ranch and Corbett Lake Lodge, which stocks the lake with trout raised off-site for its fishing resort....”
Nicola Valley Fish and Game Club heading back to court - Merritt Herald

Admin Note:

This post lands at random.

This thread is specific to discussion of Ben's disappearance. It is not about the history of ranching in British Columbia. Please do not bring other entities into this conversation unless you make it clear how your theory relates to this case. Otherwise your post is off topic and will be removed.

Thanks.

It’d be interesting to know more about the history of past and present ownership of NR as it relates to how direct was management focus on the part of owners. <modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent sleuthing, Otto! I remember hearing over the years that there was squabbling about fishing lakes and the Douglas Lake Ranch. Disgusting about locked gates on access to public range.
I read that also and that Douglas Lake Ranch is and has been buying up other ranches as well over the last decade or so. The Quilchena Cattle Company was bought by Douglas Lake Ranch on December 31, 2013. Alkali Lake Ranch was sold privately to Douglas Lake Ranch in April 2008.

I wonder if they considered or tried to buy NR? I wonder if there was an issue with NR hiring a well-educated manager like Ben, who would put a roadblock there?
I'm speculating in all directions on who or why Ben would be a target, if related to his employment.

Alkali History — Douglas Lake Ranch

This link will give all info I’ve written above. Follow history at bottom of page.

Last edited:
I read that also and that Douglas Lake Ranch is and has been buying up other ranches as well over the last decade or so. The Quilchena Cattle Company was bought by Douglas Lake Ranch on December 31, 2013. Alkali Lake Ranch was sold privately to Douglas Lake Ranch in April 2008.

I wonder if they considered or tried to buy NR? I wonder if there was an issue with NR hiring a well-educated manager like Ben, who would put a roadblock there?
I'm speculating in all directions on who or why Ben would be a target, if related to his employment.

Alkali History — Douglas Lake Ranch

This link will give all info I’ve written above. Follow history at bottom of page.

Ranch managers do not have authority to make or veto land sales so I really can't see that being a motive for murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79