CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit off topic, but still . . . When my late father was fairly young (8? 9? 10?) he boldly announced a day or two before Xmas that he didn't believe in Father Christmas any more. His stepmother said "Well, in that case, you won't be getting any Christmas presents, will you?" So come Xmas morning there was nothing for him, while his 2 younger half-sisters had plenty to open. Even though he was given his much later, in the afternoon, it still makes me sad and angry.
Our emotions are stored in our muscles and brain for us to relive the moment. Sadly we do not choose how our emotions are going to react. With maturity we learn how to roll with the emotions that we know, feeling a new & different emotion can be traumatic at any age.

This article goes into the litigation that was taking place shortly after the funeral.

I noticed something though…

“Then, in 1958, Lou and Beverley adopted a baby boy, Tim, and, as sometimes happens, Beverley became pregnant. She gave birth to Jeffrey in 1960, Kerry in 1961 and Dana in 1962.”

Is that correct? I thought it was Paul?
I think he's the one that goes by 2 different first names.

This is an article about preserving scenes of violence before trial (vs tearing down a house). Thought this group might appreciate it.

Paywall... Coles notes, anyone?
It talks about the competing considerations between letting people tear down homes for peace of mind and healing versus waiting to do so until after the trial is over to enhance conviction probability, using the home where the Uof Idaho students were murdered as a case study. In that case, UofI wants to tear down the home now, but 3 of the 4 families want to wait until after trial/appeals. The 4th family is on the fence as their other children attend the university and so are constantly reminded of their loss by the sight of the home. In that case, prosecution and defence attorneys have consented to the razing. If you read the comments to the story, the vast majority of people strongly support keeping any such crime site house until after a trial in case there’s any need to gather more evidence or have a jury go there. I don’t know if juries ever tour sites of crime in Canada. I am not aware of it.

It talks about the competing considerations between letting people tear down homes for peace of mind and healing versus waiting to do so until after the trial is over to enhance conviction probability, using the home where the Uof Idaho students were murdered as a case study. In that case, UofI wants to tear down the home now, but 3 of the 4 families want to wait until after trial/appeals. The 4th family is on the fence as their other children attend the university and so are constantly reminded of their loss by the sight of the home. In that case, prosecution and defence attorneys have consented to the razing. If you read the comments to the story, the vast majority of people strongly support keeping any such crime site house until after a trial in case there’s any need to gather more evidence or have a jury go there. I don’t know if juries ever tour sites of crime in Canada. I am not aware of it.
Thanks! It's a conundrum for sure.

I also feel for the landlord who is stuck with it and obviously can't rent it out.

I am thinking the new Doc didnt have any impact ? there is barely anything about it online and few ppl saw it
its rated mid as well

Paywall... Coles notes, anyone?
Different link for lengthy article.
''By MIKE BAKER AND NICHOLAS BOGEL-BURROUGHS NYTimes News Service | Saturday, July 8, 2023
The house in Idaho joins a growing roster of notorious properties around the country whose fates have become the subject of complex legal and ethical debates as communities try to decide what, if anything, should remain in the aftermath of a mass murder.

In Newtown, Connecticut, the Sandy Hook Elementary School building was razed and rebuilt after the 2012 mass shooting that left 26 people dead. In Uvalde, Texas, where a gunman killed 19 children and two teachers last year, the school district has similar plans to demolish the school and build a new one.

Other communities have left such crime scenes intact. The large hunting estate in South Carolina where Alex Murdaugh’s wife and younger son were killed in 2021 was sold for $3.9 million just weeks after Murdaugh, a prominent lawyer, was convicted of murdering them. Students in Santa Fe, Texas, returned within weeks to the high school where a gunman killed 10 people in 2018.

And while some residents called for demolishing the movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, that was the site of a mass shooting in 2012, it was instead renamed, remodeled and reopened within six months.

The case in Idaho is not the only one where some have advocated leaving the crime scene standing for jurors. The classroom building in Parkland, Florida, where a gunman killed 17 students and staff members five years ago is still standing, fenced off from where students attend classes in adjacent buildings. Jurors visited the abandoned building last year during the sentencing trial for the gunman, making their way past shards of glass, walls riddled with bullet holes and floors still smeared with blood.

After the acquittal last week of a school resource officer who failed to confront the gunman — the last criminal case stemming from the shootings — school officials said they now planned to proceed with demolition.'

I think of the unofficial memorial sites on the sides of the roads. Most often in memory of someone who has died in an road accident. Some people find them ghoulish I suppose, and others find them useful part of the grieving process.

It is a difficult call, however in cases like the Old Colony home, I initially thought the house is evidence in a criminal case, so should be preserved until a verdict is reached in a trial. Law Enforcement have huge evidence lockers, which contain items from cold cases from decades previously, nobody would think of destroying that evidence, because someone finds it upsetting. I was especially concerned as one of my POIs was one who okayed the demolition.

If on the other hand the TPS was okay with the house being demolished, I have to assume they had all the evidence they needed, especially with video and photos of the home.

Let us hope the TPS got it right.

Thanks! It's a conundrum for sure.

I also feel for the landlord who is stuck with it and obviously can't rent it out.
If the university wants to tear it down, they should buy the home from the owner, unless the university already owns many homes in the area for students to live in. As horrendous as it is to know that four people were brutally murdered there, imo, the home is still evidence and should be left standing until the trial is over.

The home that Bernardo and Homolka lived in was demolished late in 1995, several months after Bernardo's conviction. And it bears to be repeated that Bernardo's original attorney, on Homolka's instructions, retrieved several videotapes from a bathroom vent, literally a smoking gun, showing repeated assaults on the victims. If the house had been demolished prior to the discovery of the tapes, I wonder what the outcome would have been.

2033 days since the murders. Almost the same length of time as all of WW2. The Collosseum in Rome was built in about the same length of time. Surely with more detectives this could have been sped up? Or maybe they don’t want it solved at all?

2033 days since the murders. Almost the same length of time as all of WW2. The Collosseum in Rome was built in about the same length of time. Surely with more detectives this could have been sped up? Or maybe they don’t want it solved at all?

Say that the information from the foreign countries does not lead to an arrest, will they ever give daughter AK a hint as to who they were investigating and why? (Or any other family member?) Will someone give Donovan a small tip that might help him expose who may be under suspicion?

I’m wondering how this will end if there are no arrests.

They were given many million.

He gave them many millions along with gifts.
I can not imagine handing over houses etc to people who had not proven to be responsible individuals.
Had he not held on to the homes in some way, simply giving them as gifts with out stipulations, they would have lost the homes anyway.
There isn’t a doubt in my mind that had they worked hard and were living healthy happy lives BS would have removed the stipulations.
He was trying to protect them by making sure they didn’t just blow everything he gave them.
“He gave them many millions.” (how do you know this?)

“They would have lost the homes anyway” (how do you know this?)

You “have no doubt that if the orphan cousins had just worked hard and were living healthy and happy lives, BS would have removed the stipulation”. (how do you know this?)

“He was trying to protect them” (how do you know this?”

How do you know ANY of this? Do you have a link for ANY of the above? If not, it is just your opinion. I think per WS TOS rules, posters are required to provide an MSM or LE link for anything they wish to claim as fact - either that or simply state that their comments are merely their own opinion.

Imo the items Merlin mentioned above are pocket change, not millions. Imo the “millions” we are talking about were loans, just like those BS made to FDA and J Desai’s (for house), and many others (probably including some rather large ones to JS). Again, if the 8 million to the orphan cousins was a gift, why did the court rule that they had to pay the money back and move out of their homes? You don’t have to pay back a gift.

And re: the repayment, I don’t know whether the cousins eventually had to, or were ever able to, pay back the money and the lawyers fees. I have read however that it was KW’s intention to drag it out as long as he could in the courts, and hopefully avoid paying altogether. I’ll have to go look for that link.

But this shouldn’t have surprised BS - a man who had just - in the face of an approx 580 million dollar judgement against his company (which for all intents and purposes was him) - publicly proclaimed that he had no intention whatsoever of ever paying the judgement. Kind of a slap in the face to the judiciary, imo. Most people have to obey the law and abide by the court’s decision. I guess BS thought those things (and some patent laws as well) just didn’t apply to him. Imo litigation was how he made his billions - and his army of lawyers were damn good at it

All just my opinion

ETA: according to KD’s book (pg 158), court records suggest that Sherman gave the cousins as much as 15 million. It doesn’t provide details as to how much of that was in loans vs. gifts, but based on the court’s decision, it sounds like at least 7 million of it was in the form of gifts

Last edited:
I am hoping there will be an arrest at some point but cases can take years and many aren't solved. There was an arrest made of a man in Florida for killing a woman in eastern Ontario last week. That happened in 1975 and he's now in his 80s. Hopefully this one won't take as long!

This article goes into the litigation that was taking place shortly after the funeral.

I noticed something though…

“Then, in 1958, Lou and Beverley adopted a baby boy, Tim, and, as sometimes happens, Beverley became pregnant. She gave birth to Jeffrey in 1960, Kerry in 1961 and Dana in 1962.”

Is that correct? I thought it was Paul?
That is correct. I don't know why the two different names. I do think that he is the one that did't change his name back to winter.

The Fred & Jonathan Sherman & Family Foundation was created November 15 2018

I wonder if part of the 52million for his arena came from here?

And of course we have AP as the secretary/treasurer.
It does not appear any $$ has been paid out of this charity? no expenditures at all, only bank account gets bigger. Notice as well that AP is an "at distance" he is a director and not like Jonathan and his husband they seem to own it. This must be how rich shelter and store money from the taxman. IMO this would equate to letting the $$ accumulate interest under the charity tax free. In Canada you do not pay on the winfall but you do on any earned interest of that money from a bank account or investment, it becomes income, of all those millions inherited they would pay tax on the interest the $$ generates. **** update to add yes they did spend some $$, on consultants, around 5 thousand each of the 3 years.

I wonder if he learned this from BS and this is how HS sister was added as director to homes BS funded for she and HS to purchase?

Last edited:
June 29 2023
Ellin Bessner
rbbm.
''Construction has begun at the site of the Joseph and Wolf Lebovic Jewish Community campus in Vaughan, Ont. for the Honey and Barry Sherman Arena. The $52 million dollar arena–to be attached to the existing JCC complex–is a gift from their son Jonathan Sherman to the Toronto Jewish community.

The late Sherman’s three surviving daughters are not participating.

It would make the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto the only JCC in Canada, and in North America, to own its own indoor ice hockey arena. With two NHL-sized rinks, stands, dressing rooms and a kosher snack bar, the arena is designed to provide badly-needed ice facilities for Jewish youth players and figure skaters, too. It will also be open to rentals by the wider community, where ice time is at a premium.

Jonathan Sherman admits the announcement brings “heavy emotions” because the 2017 murders of his billionaire philanthropist parents have not been solved. But on this day, Sherman says he wants to focus on continuing their legacy of community building
. On this episode of The CJN Daily, we hear from Adam Minsky, the CEO of the UJA Federation of Greater Toronto; Christopher Ainsworth, the city councillor for the City of Vaughan where the project got the green light,
and words from Jonathan Sherman himself.
What we talked about
Read about the construction of the Joseph and Wolf Lebovic campus in Vaughan over the years in The CJN, including the official opening in 2012.

After the murders of Barry and Honey Sherman in 2017, their legacy of philanthropy was in the spotlight, in 2018 in The CJN.''
There may be some dispute after the rinks are built whether they will be open on Saturday or not. Some Jewish kids/teens are used to playing hockey on Saturday as part of a hockey team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!