CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so shocked by the second episode’s cliffhanger. I’m putting under a spoiler because I’m guessing many people haven’t seen it yet.

(From KD’s Crave documentary ‘The Billionaire Murders’, end of second episode.)—

An Apotex lawyer spoke about when FD’A would visit BS. This lawyer had an office close to Barry’s.

He said despite closing his doors and the walls in between, he could hear FD’A yelling at BS.

“What I heard was verbal abuse. And Barry took it for years and years and years.”

I’ll go back and get the person’s name. The preview for the next episode had him expanding on what he heard.
From a Vanity Fair article on FD’A, talking about his Sicilian Vampire movie:

“D’Angelo himself stars as Sonny Trafficante, the mobster who gets bitten by a bat and turns vampire. Ostensible plot aside, much of the film consists of Sonny and his friends sitting around busting each other’s balls, telling terrible jokes, or threatening each other in Italian.”

“That night, Barry calls Frank D’Angelo to apologize for missing the Christmas lunch. D’Angelo said “I busted his balls” for missing the lunch and they agree Barry will be there next year.”

I have the feeling that in this Friday’s documentary episode KD is going to ask about the way he reportedly spoke to BS, and his response will be that he was just being boisterous.

From a Vanity Fair article on FD’A, talking about his Sicilian Vampire movie:

“D’Angelo himself stars as Sonny Trafficante, the mobster who gets bitten by a bat and turns vampire. Ostensible plot aside, much of the film consists of Sonny and his friends sitting around busting each other’s balls, telling terrible jokes, or threatening each other in Italian.”

“That night, Barry calls Frank D’Angelo to apologize for missing the Christmas lunch. D’Angelo said “I busted his balls” for missing the lunch and they agree Barry will be there next year.”

I have the feeling that in this Friday’s documentary episode KD is going to ask about the way he reportedly spoke to BS, and his response will be that he was just being boisterous.
I agree.

I also wonder about JS' "eulogy". KD made a comment that it was obviously prepared and a performance (I'm paraphrasing) but I do wonder when he started writing it. Some people are good at writing and might be able to come up with something quickly but I'm wondering about a comment by a member of this forum who speculated that it could have been written before they died. MOO...

Recent posts seem to imply the staging of the bodies, was meant to be an insult to the deceased and their common Jewish heritage and faith. If this in fact true, the perpetrator(s) has some deep seated and long term issues.

Was the staging intended to be a mockery of the Jewish faith and it's faithful? The next question is, who really was uncomfortable with Honey and Barry's faith. (Yes I know Barry was a self-described atheist, however he did not actively reject his Jewish faith or culture).

Occasionally those who despise a religion most, are people who were brought up in that religion, they may have had some negative experience/guilt/rejection by the faith early in life.

Recent posts seem to imply the staging of the bodies, was meant to be an insult to the deceased and their common Jewish heritage and faith. If this in fact true, the perpetrator(s) has some deep seated and long term issues.

Was the staging intended to be a mockery of the Jewish faith and it's faithful? The next question is, who really was uncomfortable with Honey and Barry's faith. (Yes I know Barry was a self-described atheist, however he did not actively reject his Jewish faith or culture).

Occasionally those who despise a religion most, are people who were brought up in that religion, they may have had some negative experience/guilt/rejection by the faith early in life.
Reluctantly (as I do not believe that these killings were religiously motivated) I will raise the possibility that the killings may not have been related to the Sherman's religion, but perhaps something they may have done to offend someone else's religious or cultural beliefs. There are certainly some cultures that unfortunately practice honour killings - Wiki definition "...the murder of an individual, either an outsider or a member of a family, by someone seeking to protect what they see as the dignity and honor of themselves or their family...".

I tend to think the killer was motivated by personal gain and the way they were killed and staged was meant to divert attention away from the truth, but there’s some evidence that the Shermans have been the targets of antisemitism.

In 2021, three youths painted a swastika on one of JS’s properties and were caught. Jonathon spoke out about the incident at a township meeting:

““Perhaps they are correct, but I ask you to please consider the following: my family is Jewish; my father’s grandparents escaped the Russian pogroms of the early 20th century to come here and make a better life; my mother’s grandparents were survivors of the Auschwitz work camps during the Nazi Holocaust and they have the numbered arm tattoos to prove it; my mom was born in a refugee camp after the war in Austria; most recently, my parents were both victims of the most violent and unspeakable hatred and that crime remains unsolved. So perhaps I have a few reasons to be sensitive,” Sherman said.
“For the past four years, I have been on very high alert.””

He accepted their apologies and with his cooperation the police didn’t lay charges.

@Lexiintoronto thank you for sharing that Vanity Fair article. Wow. That the films were FD’A’s vanity projects isn’t exactly surprising but still interesting to read it so plainly in black and white. Makes me speculate that FD’A could have been getting kick backs or something to incentivize this “work” — especially if the film festivals were essentially fake/paid admission. Did Barry realize this or was he naive? I’ve seen other people fooled by these false/paid “honours”/“opportunities”. You can see why JS would have found this frustrating. Still, it was Barry’s money to burn, not JS’s. Speculation/MOO.

Last edited:
sorry but pinning this big murder on a grudge possibility is unrealstic ..
this was done by someone who had an inside knowledge and means.. not just any upset party
and why go into a religion at all !..when you have politics and major companies involved ! and billions
gain could be political gain..a business gain.. money isnt the only option

sorry but pinning this big murder on a grudge possibility is unrealstic ..
this was done by someone who had an inside knowledge and means.. not just any upset party
and why go into a religion at all !..when you have politics and major companies involved ! and billions
gain could be political gain..a business gain.. money isnt the only option
HS's sister MS intimated that in her opinion the murders were possibly religiously motivated.
In fairness, its one theory, amongst dozens of others out there

@Lexiintoronto thank you for sharing that Vanity Fair article. Wow. That the films were FD’A’s vanity projects isn’t exactly surprising but still interesting to read it so plainly in black and white. Makes me speculate that FD’A could have been getting kick backs or something to incentivize this “work” — especially if the film festivals were essentially fake/paid admission. Did Barry realize this or was he naive? I’ve seen other people fooled by these false/paid “honours”/“opportunities”. You can see why JS would have found this frustrating. Still, it was Barry’s money to burn, not JS’s. Speculation/MOO.
It wasn't the first time Barry was duped. I wonder how much he delved into some of these schemes, both FD'As and the one about the boat cruise. I also wonder if he suddenly started looking into JS' businesses considering he wanted $50-$60 million back and also questioned the high cost of the surrogates.

HS's sister MS intimated that in her opinion the murders were possibly religiously motivated.
In fairness, its one theory, amongst dozens of others out there
yes..I talked about this before..it sounded uncalled for.. like she wants to cover for something else or mislead ?
or some personal agenda she has

I'm guessing this was posted a few days ago, but incase it wasn't I thought I would post it. (Interviewed and aired 5 days ago)

Just a short 5 min interview with KD, nothing new really but he said he doesn't think it's an international hit man but rather someone that was paid that is connected to the Shermans. He thinks they are trying to prove a benefit (from a foreign company) was paid to a person or persons related to this case

Last edited:
It wasn't the first time Barry was duped. I wonder how much he delved into some of these schemes, both FD'As and the one about the boat cruise. I also wonder if he suddenly started looking into JS' businesses considering he wanted $50-$60 million back and also questioned the high cost of the surrogates.
Barry was very intelligent. We have all heard that. I doubt that he was really duped. I suspect his relationship with FD'A provided him with a lot of fun and entertainment. He may very well have known he was "wasting money" on his investments with FD'A but simply did not care because he found the friendship stimulating, and it took him into areas that his work and social life never would otherwise.

The investment money he loaned JS and his AP though were supposed to be for real business, and he expected them to act responsibly and wisely. If they were taking advantage of him in other ways too, like quoting a much higher figure for surrogates than was really the case, so they could pocket the difference, he may have found that insulting and dishonest, which would make him angry. I suspect he held them to a different standard than FD'A, and likely more money was involved. Again, speculation on my part, and IMO.

yes..I talked about this before..it sounded uncalled for.. like she wants to cover for something else or mislead ?
or some personal agenda she has
Or someone who cannot think of any reason why to murder her sister in such an up close and personal manner.

That is a hard pill to swallow, knowing it could be someone close to you. IMO hard to form logical thoughts. the "What If's" that would go through the family minds every time they see someone that knows the family well.

What a horrible life to live. Is this where the term money brings out the bad and the evil? that having so much money is not good but a curse.

Barry was very intelligent. We have all heard that. I doubt that he was really duped. I suspect his relationship with FD'A provided him with a lot of fun and entertainment. He may very well have known he was "wasting money" on his investments with FD'A but simply did not care because he found the friendship stimulating, and it took him into areas that his work and social life never would otherwise.

The investment money he loaned JS and his AP though were supposed to be for real business, and he expected them to act responsibly and wisely. If they were taking advantage of him in other ways too, like quoting a much higher figure for surrogates than was really the case, so they could pocket the difference, he may have found that insulting and dishonest, which would make him angry. I suspect he held them to a different standard than FD'A, and likely more money was involved. Again, speculation on my part, and IMO.
similar to comments BS made of his conversations with KW, KW humored BS.

Maybe BS escaped his intelligence listening to their **** my words - childlike mannerisms *** excitement when explaining their thoughts and ideas to BS. Very different over dealing with a son who believes he is just as smart as BS and who is constantly telling his father how smart, educated and well liked he is by his peers.

I have always felt if someone needs to tell you they are smart, they are not really that smart.

Smart people show they are intelligent with their language, speech and actions. BS did not run around and tell people he was brilliant, that is how people perceived and described him. WS's seem to perceive JS as more a spoiled brat than a impressive business man with great skill and the smarts to run a company like Apotex (IMO why JS did not want to take it over, he would be compared to his father and knew he did not have the same aptitude to run it as his father did)

I feel the killings and staging were more perfunctory than symbolic, but am interested in reading the analysis.

I was following the Titan tragedy and the captain’s wife is related to Isador and Ida Straus who chose to go down arm in arm together on the Titanic, although Ida had the chance to go on a lifeboat.

This is inscribed on a memorial for them:

“In death they were not divided.”
It’s from 2 Samuel 1:23—
‘Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.’

It reminded me of some of the references in Jonathon’s eulogy.(‘Lock and key’, ‘you didn’t suffer the way we are now’, ie. being divided, imo, because they did suffer.)

I get the impression that Honey was moved into the pool room to be with Barry and that had no practical function, imo. So there must have been meaning to the killer, maybe they thought it was wrong to leave them separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine