CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honey was emailing the Blaney law firm back and forth right up to the day of the murders, according to KD. I think it’s likely that she was making notes or changes to the possible documents they were working on. After the murders wouldn’t her family and the Greenspan team have access to her emails? On his side Doug Hendler would keep his communication with Honey private, but on Honey’s side a few people may have had access to what they were discussing, imo.

Honey was emailing the Blaney law firm back and forth right up to the day of the murders, according to KD. I think it’s likely that she was making notes or changes to the possible documents they were working on. After the murders wouldn’t her family and the Greenspan team have access to her emails? On his side Doug Hendler would keep his communication with Honey private, but on Honey’s side a few people may have had access to what they were discussing, imo.
These emails could be part of what Goodmans was reviewing for privilege. It is unclear whether they would be made available to police. Let’s say, hypothetically, that both Barry and Honey were working on massive changes to their estate planning (a lot going to charity, MS, etc., just as an example). If the wills weren’t actually finalized, why would the children want that information released for the public record. They may very well continue to assert privilege. Also, did all of the kids get to weigh in- or just the estate trustees? All just speculation/MOO.

These emails could be part of what Goodmans was reviewing for privilege. It is unclear whether they would be made available to police. Let’s say, hypothetically, that both Barry and Honey were working on massive changes to their estate planning (a lot going to charity, MS, etc., just as an example). If the wills weren’t actually finalized, why would the children want that information released for the public record. They may very well continue to assert privilege. Also, did all of the kids get to weigh in- or just the estate trustees? All just speculation/MOO.

Pretty sure Goodmans were working for Apotex, not the estates/executors.

The estate executors would have some access to materials in Hendler’s file. This paper discusses privilege as it pertains to estate files following the death of the testator.

I think we can assume that the police have a working knowledge of what was in the file, but absent a trial it is unlikely to ever be disclosed publicly.

Although i posted the link, the bit concerning you is not an opinion shared by me and probably many others, could it be that the timing of the deaths was intended by somebody to make it seem like you were the culprit? imo, fwiw, speculation.
I’m not sure how KW would think that, as he has repeatedly claimed that BS killed HS and then committed suicide.

@2:20 the lie detection test.
Thank you immensely for saving my time.
I read that he refused a police lie detection exam but don't know which exam offer came first.
How tall is KW? Do we know?
Hi, Merlin. I wasn't avoiding your query but rather searched for the answer bc I thought it was 5'9" until I watched this video. At 0:18 mark in vid, KW exits a VW Golf which I assumed to likely be a 2017. The VW Golf is 57.20" in height = 4.76'

Screenshot 2023-08-22 11.53.53 PM.png

Thank you immensely for saving my time.
I read that he refused a police lie detection exam but don't know which exam offer came first.

Hi, Merlin. I wasn't avoiding your query but rather searched for the answer bc I thought it was 5'9" until I watched this video. At 0:18 mark in vid, KW exits a VW Golf which I assumed to likely be a 2017. The VW Golf is 57.20" in height = 4.76'

View attachment 442523
Thanks, he also replied to me further up. I had a feeling he was taller than 5'9" but couldn't remember where I had seen it. I know KD makes a point of mentioning heights of people who are part of the story.

The estate executors would have some access to materials in Hendler’s file. This paper discusses privilege as it pertains to estate files following the death of the testator.

I think we can assume that the police have a working knowledge of what was in the file, but absent a trial it is unlikely to ever be disclosed publicly.
Goodmans may have been working for Apotex but the estate trustees were the decision-makers IIRC. My guess is that they were looking for all privilege when they reviewed the files. I think this has been reported but I don’t have other posters’ facility with finding links.

Thank you for posting the link to the memo. I read the memo differently— it isn’t at all clear to me that Hendler would be in a position to release information in his file- especially if there was no will completed and there is no estate litigation about a will.

Doesn’t KD talk about this in his podcast or comments? That the police couldn’t get information about this? Or at least for a long time but then maybe this changed? Does anyone recall anything about this? @Lexiintoronto or @dotr or others who are good with sourcing? (Sorry to pick on you!)

Thank you for posting the link to the memo. I read the memo differently— it isn’t at all clear to me that Hendler would be in a position to release information in his file- especially if there was no will completed and there is no estate litigation about a will.

Doesn’t KD talk about this in his podcast or comments? That the police couldn’t get information about this? Or at least for a long time but then maybe this changed? Does anyone recall anything about this? @Lexiintoronto or @dotr or others who are good with sourcing? (Sorry to pick on you!)
Not exactly sure what i am looking for, maybe after more coffee or if Lexi pops by, meanwhile, these links look kind of interesting, although not what i think you had in mind?..

''Supreme Court Justice Michael Moldaver, who speculated that those responsible for the deaths of the Shermans belonged to a sophisticated criminal organization, questioned whether such a sealing order would have the effect of protecting identities.

"So it's fanciful to think that [the criminal organization] wouldn't know who the beneficiaries are, who the children are, who the grandchildren are and everything else about this family. And so what are we protecting?"
But Cseh said it is speculation to know who killed the couple.
"It could be the case that the murderer has all this information," she said. "But it could be the case that they don't.
"We are so confident that they are so sophisticated that they would have this information that we're willing to unseal the court files?"

Last edited:
MOO based on what we know: I think Barry and Honey had a call scheduled with the lawyer at 9pm. I think it related to estate planning and/or transfer of wealth to Honey from Barry.

I think it’s possible Barry and/or Honey had documents with them for the call, but to our knowledge none were found — that we know of at least. We are aware only of a house inspection report for OC being on the ground.

MOO I think the lawyer wasn’t talking due to confidentiality/privilege issues. Rules are strict around that for lawyers. Whether that is still the case, I don’t know.

Separately but not unrelated, I think the trustees could have stopped Goodmans LLP from running interference on the document production on the basis of privilege and instead given the police access to all of Barry’s emails and calendar. But they chose not to do so. Query whether all of the trustees had equal insight into the nature of those emails/documents that have been suppressed.

MOO
IMO Goodmans handled the Apotex business only, another law firm Blaney was mentioned in relation to the estate and possibly the personal matters of BS & HS. The nature of business Apotex are in and the secrecy required it is not surprising that the Apotex management asked for their law firms assistance and advice on what to let the investigators see. I do not recall any news published that LE had any difficulties interviewing and speaking with Blaney, so they may of had important evidence already while waiting for Goodmans to share.

Were you thinking of this part of the podcast? At about the 29:00 mark KD said that, according to court documents, the police couldn’t review the emails between the Blaney law firm (Doug Hendler) and Honey.

There is a lot of good information in that episode.

Were you thinking of this part of the podcast? At about the 29:00 mark KD said that, according to court documents, the police couldn’t review the emails between the Blaney law firm (Doug Hendler) and Honey.

There is a lot of good information in that episode.
Yes! Thank you @Lexiintoronto. I knew it was somewhere on the podcast. I think KD might have mentioned it in his comments and/or in the Crave doc too.

I highly recommend people listen to the link Lexi posted especially minutes 28:50-30:50 for KD’s discussion of this issue. KD reads an email Hendler sent to him — asserting privilege.

Yes! Thank you @Lexiintoronto. I knew it was somewhere on the podcast. I think KD might have mentioned it in his comments and/or in the Crave doc too.

I highly recommend people listen to the link Lexi posted especially minutes 28:50-30:50 for KD’s discussion of this issue. KD reads an email Hendler sent to him — asserting privilege.
I wonder if that would be the same for police.

I wonder if that would be the same for police.
As I understand it, privilege applies to *any* third party including police. Police would have to apply for a court order for the production of the documents in question, and the judge considering the matter would have to weigh the police request against the privilege asserted.

As we know KD said that something happened in December, 2018 at Jonathon’s and Adam’s cottage that prompted Alexandra to go to the police with her suspicions that Jonathon was involved in the murders. She wrote to Greenspan saying that Jonathon and Adam are ‘money-hungry monsters’. She also told Greenspan that Barry had wanted Jonathon and Adam to find financing for their storage company elsewhere, but Jonathon would throw fits and Barry would cave in. She saw parallels between that behaviour and how Jonathon had been pressuring her to fund the hockey rink with Sherman charity money.

Bloomberg makes it sound as though Jonathon was unaware of whatever happened in December.

““In early 2019, Alexandra stopped replying to calls and messages from Jonathon. Before then the siblings, who’d been close since childhood, had been in regular communication. For example, while Greenspan represented all four children, it was Jonathon and Alexandra who were functionally his clients, holding regular meetings with him. The eldest and youngest children, Lauren and Kaelen, weren’t deeply engaged with the private investigation.

Jonathon sent Alexandra a long email in April, headed “I miss you, please read.” He told her he’d “always counted you as my closest confidant, and I’m feeling pretty hurt that you don’t want to talk to me.” Jonathon continued: “If there is something I’ve done to upset you to the point that you won’t answer the phone when I call, could you please explain it to me?” Eventually he learned what had changed. Alexandra, four people with knowledge of her views said, had begun to think Jonathon might have been involved in their parents’ deaths. It’s unclear what drove her to that suspicion, and the police, according to the person with knowledge of their investigation, didn’t view it as being based on any evidence.”

If Bloomberg had a police source that told them Alexandra didn’t have evidence implicating Jonathon, why not tell Bloomberg exactly why she suspects him and clear it up?

Also, why doesn’t she suspect Adam? If her concerns have anything to do with Barry and financing, Adam played a direct role.

Last edited:
As we know KD said that something happened in December, 2018 at Jonathon’s and Adam’s cottage that prompted Alexandra to go to the police with her suspicions that Jonathon was involved in the murders. She wrote to Greenspan saying that Jonathon and Adam are ‘money-hungry monsters’. She also told Greenspan that Barry had wanted Jonathon and Adam to find financing for their storage company elsewhere, but Jonathon would throw fits and Barry would cave in. She saw parallels between that behaviour and how Jonathon had been pressuring her to fund the hockey rink with Sherman charity money.

Bloomberg makes it sound as though Jonathon was unaware of whatever happened in December.

““In early 2019, Alexandra stopped replying to calls and messages from Jonathon. Before then the siblings, who’d been close since childhood, had been in regular communication. For example, while Greenspan represented all four children, it was Jonathon and Alexandra who were functionally his clients, holding regular meetings with him. The eldest and youngest children, Lauren and Kaelen, weren’t deeply engaged with the private investigation.

Jonathon sent Alexandra a long email in April, headed “I miss you, please read.” He told her he’d “always counted you as my closest confidant, and I’m feeling pretty hurt that you don’t want to talk to me.” Jonathon continued: “If there is something I’ve done to upset you to the point that you won’t answer the phone when I call, could you please explain it to me?” Eventually he learned what had changed. Alexandra, four people with knowledge of her views said, had begun to think Jonathon might have been involved in their parents’ deaths. It’s unclear what drove her to that suspicion, and the police, according to the person with knowledge of their investigation, didn’t view it as being based on any evidence.”

If Bloomberg had a police source that told them Alexandra didn’t have evidence implicating Jonathon, why not tell Bloomberg exactly why she suspects him and clear it up?

Also, why doesn’t she suspect Adam? If her concerns have anything to do with Barry and financing, Adam played a direct role.
I found this comment in the article interesting. I would be interested to know who the source with knowledge of the police investigation is.

1. Could it be JS, who went to school with and knows the author? Or someone who is allied with JS? Certainly this article has a more favourable bent toward JS.

2. Could it be a reliable police source, telling the truth?

3. Could it be a reliable police source, giving misleading information as they do not want the truth of the matter publicly reported? Perhaps not wanting suspects to feel they are suspects.

4. Could it someone else entirely? And do they have an agenda or motive for engaging on this and saying this — true or not?

Either this information is wonky or KD is getting his own wonky information and/or is barking up the wrong tree.

MOO/ speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member