CANADA Canada - Billionaire Couple Barry & Honey Sherman Murdered at Home, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that this would have pissed JS off, not because he felt it was too soon for someone to take over his father's office but because he would want to be the guy in it. He never showed any interest in working at Apotex.

But I still wonder who gave JS authority to fire JK or anyone else for that matter.
JS and his sisters were now the owners of the company, I assume he and they discussed to sell APOTEX, they were selling off divisions while JK was there, they had the power, the sisters were not taking part in anything but charities so maybe JS was the only one dealing with "APOTEX" situations?

JS and his sisters were now the owners of the company, I assume he and they discussed to sell APOTEX, they were selling off divisions while JK was there, they had the power, the sisters were not taking part in anything but charities so maybe JS was the only one dealing with "APOTEX" situations?

Technically Sherfam was the majority owner.

The decision to fire is made by the board, who are elected by the shareholders.

According to an article in the Globe, at the time it was a 4 person board of JS, BK, JK and another long term employee, I’m not sure who.

Donovan has likely listed them in an article at some point.

2018 rbbm
''Sherman was the scientist and the idea man, Kay said, while his job was to “operationalize” Sherman’s ideas.
When Barry and Honey Sherman were killed, majority ownership of the company went to the Sherman children: Lauren, 43, Jonathon, 35, Alexandra, 32, and Kaelen, 28. None of them were working at Apotex at the time.
The Sherman estate has four trustees: Jack Kay, Jonathon Sherman, Brad Krawczyk (who is Alexandra’s husband), and Alex Glasenberg, an Apotex executive who manages the family’s investments. A court has sealed the estate file, saying it contains information that could be of importance to the police investigation and due to a fear of the family of “kidnapping and violence” if details of the file were revealed. The Star is appealing the sealing order.''

2018 rbbm
''Sherman was the scientist and the idea man, Kay said, while his job was to “operationalize” Sherman’s ideas.
When Barry and Honey Sherman were killed, majority ownership of the company went to the Sherman children: Lauren, 43, Jonathon, 35, Alexandra, 32, and Kaelen, 28. None of them were working at Apotex at the time.
The Sherman estate has four trustees: Jack Kay, Jonathon Sherman, Brad Krawczyk (who is Alexandra’s husband), and Alex Glasenberg, an Apotex executive who manages the family’s investments. A court has sealed the estate file, saying it contains information that could be of importance to the police investigation and due to a fear of the family of “kidnapping and violence” if details of the file were revealed. The Star is appealing the sealing order.''

Those are the four estate trustees.

That is not the four person Apotex board, which is a completely different entity.

According to an article in the Globe, at the time it was a 4 person board of JS, BK, JK and another long term employee, I’m not sure who.

Donovan has likely listed them in an article at some point.

I’ve tried to follow how and why Jonathon was able to fire Jack Kay, but don’t fully understand it. To me it sounded like it was primarily Jonathon’s choice, but Jonathon told the Star he, Glasenberg and Krawczyk made the decision.

Daughter Alexandra said good things about Jack Kay after he was fired, but also mentioned that he and Jonathon were at odds.

Here’s a quote from the article you linked:

“Barry and Honey Sherman’s four children own approximately 90 per cent of Apotex through a family trust, valued at about $4-billion, while senior executives including Mr. Kay own the remainder. After Mr. Sherman’s death, the company named his son Jonathon Sherman and son-in-law Brad Krawczyk to its four-member board of directors, along with Mr. Kay and another long-time employee.”

I thought the fourth board member was Alex Glasenberg.

“Jonathon said in firing Kay he had the “unanimous” support of fellow trustees Glasenberg and Krawczyk. Glasenberg, in his response to questions from the Star about Kay’s firing, said he was “disappointed that Mr. Kay was not able to stay on with the Apotex group.”
[..]
The firing of Kay did not sit well with Alexandra. This was a man she and her siblings had grown up knowing as one of their father’s best friends. Recalling the months leading up to the firing, she said “Jack and Jon were fighting ... like two bulls butting heads.” She decided to back away from both of them.”

The Old Colony Rd house listing was 'suspended' on the same day the bodies were discovered (ie taken off the market). It was reported in Dec 2020 by KD that the property had sold. The address was changed at some point to 48 Old Colony, and it has been trying to be sold since 2022, presumably by the same buyer who bought in 2020, and continues to be for sale, imo, based on public sales data available:

Listing History​

Buy/sell history for 48 Old Colony Rd, North York (Vacant Land)​

2023-04-03 $6,498,000For SaleC6003909
2023-03-07 2023-03-28$6,998,000TerminatedC5950699
2022-12-14 2023-03-03$6,998,000TerminatedC5851079

Last edited:
I’ve tried to follow how and why Jonathon was able to fire Jack Kay, but don’t fully understand it. To me it sounded like it was primarily Jonathon’s choice, but Jonathon told the Star he, Glasenberg and Krawczyk made the decision.

Daughter Alexandra said good things about Jack Kay after he was fired, but also mentioned that he and Jonathon were at odds.

Here’s a quote from the article you linked:

“Barry and Honey Sherman’s four children own approximately 90 per cent of Apotex through a family trust, valued at about $4-billion, while senior executives including Mr. Kay own the remainder. After Mr. Sherman’s death, the company named his son Jonathon Sherman and son-in-law Brad Krawczyk to its four-member board of directors, along with Mr. Kay and another long-time employee.”

I thought the fourth board member was Alex Glasenberg.

“Jonathon said in firing Kay he had the “unanimous” support of fellow trustees Glasenberg and Krawczyk. Glasenberg, in his response to questions from the Star about Kay’s firing, said he was “disappointed that Mr. Kay was not able to stay on with the Apotex group.”
[..]
The firing of Kay did not sit well with Alexandra. This was a man she and her siblings had grown up knowing as one of their father’s best friends. Recalling the months leading up to the firing, she said “Jack and Jon were fighting ... like two bulls butting heads.” She decided to back away from both of them.”
Shareholders elect directors, who have firing/hiring power of President/CEO.

The trustees represent the majority shareholder, Sherfam. They would communicate their wishes to the board (some of them being the same people), so it’s a bit of a fiction. The board, absent Kay who has a conflict, would take a vote on firing him and it was likely 3-0.

Based on what Donovan says, Glasenberg was not a director of Apotex.

July 20 2023
'The home was demolished in May 2019, a year-and-a-half after their deaths. The property was reportedly purchased in 2020 by a woman who lived nearby.

The listing describes the potential for a 12,000-square-foot dream home with an indoor swimming pool and below-ground parking on the premium 105-foot-by-256-foot lot. The property taxes are estimated at $19,147 a year.''

July 20 2023
'The home was demolished in May 2019, a year-and-a-half after their deaths. The property was reportedly purchased in 2020 by a woman who lived nearby.

The listing describes the potential for a 12,000-square-foot dream home with an indoor swimming pool and below-ground parking on the premium 105-foot-by-256-foot lot. The property taxes are estimated at $19,147 a year.''
Wow, they're a little late on the draw!

The current listing has been in effect for 109 days, nevermind previous listings, and they're just noticing this now? Hmm

mls listing:

Listing Description​

Rarely Available Premium Lot With Permit To Build Now. Build A 12000 Square Feet Unique Luxury Dream Home With Indoor Swimming Pool And Integral Below Grade Parking. This Rare 105 X 256 Ft Lot Is On One Of The Most Desirable Streets In Gta. Close To Shopping, Entertainment, High Ranking Public And Private Schools And Restaurants. (31430480)

Property Summary​

Property Type
Vacant Land

Community Name
St. Andrew-Windfields

Land Size
105.46 x 256.25 FT|1/2 - 1.99 acres

Annual Property Taxes
$19,147

Time on REALTOR.ca
109 days

Interesting, JK said to follow the money, LE say the Estate, are they one in the same? When JK made the statement was he still a trustee of the estate?

What is the definition of an estate?

A person's estate is their property and money, especially everything that is left after they die. A personal representative is appointed through the will of a deceased or by a court to settle the estate of someone who dies.

Estate definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

If it is not one of the heirs, could it be someone who had a BS loan that they could not afford to repay, they thought if they are gone so is the debt (which we know is not accurate). My reasoning, the will only gives to those 4, of course the trustees are paid for their duties from the estate and the remainder is for the 4 children. So if it is not one of them or a spouse of those who are actually receiving $$ and or property; it would need to be someone who owed the estate $$.

What does estate mean for deceased?

When someone dies, their assets and liabilities are called the estate. Their assets are their property and belongings that have value, such as a house, car, shares and investments. Most of the time, the deceased person has left instructions on what needs to happen with the estate in their will.

This is a very curious case. It has so many rabbit holes we can play in, that may not have anything to do with the murders.
JK said that after he had been removed I believe. It was in a phone interview with Joe Warmington IIRC.

Last edited:
Jack Kay said to follow the money. Beyond the obvious (the estate), there are also those who benefit indirectly from the money distributed through the estate - including spouses, family members, business partners/associates. I think the police may be trying to follow the money more specifically in terms of transfers too —hence the attempts to obtain foreign disclosure. That is KD’s theory at least.
Amongst other potential beneficiaries, if MS was under the belief or understanding that she stood to inherit $300-$500 million under the terms of HS will (which she, like others, may have assumed existed), wouldn't that make her a member of the group of individuals that potentially stood to benefit financially from the deaths?

JK said that after he had been removed I believe. It was in a phone interview with Joe Warmington IIRC.
1689972913939.png
''Believing the motive behind the 2018 double murder of billionaire couple Honey and Barry Sherman was rooted in “money,” friend and business associate Jack Kay is hopeful police will soon have an answer to this mystery.
“Hopefully in 2021 we will,” the former Apotex CEO and vice chair said.''

''As far as a reason to kill them? Kay has his own thoughts.
“In most murder cases around the world just follow the money,” he said.''

Amongst other potential beneficiaries, if MS was under the belief or understanding that she stood to inherit $300-$500 million under the terms of HS will (which she, like others, may have assumed existed), wouldn't that make her a member of the group of individuals that potentially stood to benefit financially from the deaths?

…and her children, there was already litigation concerning a family trust.

I have trouble believing she had anything to do with it, but possibly her family? If they believed Honey's money would trickle down, who knows? Seems a bit far fetched, though. MOO.

Aside from the 4 kids it would seem she had the strongest direct financial motive of anyone else. MOO
I don’t know… One would think Mary would want to be darn sure that Honey’s will existed and that it actually said what she wanted/expected before taking such an extreme and violent step. Especially because she was already benefiting *a lot* financially from Honey and Barry’s largesse. MOO

The other possible beneficiaries from death include the killer(s), if remunerated well for the work. MOO

And the spouses of the kids. MOO

And, finally, I think Adam Paulin potentially benefited. KD writes:

“Adam and I would be equal partners,” Jonathon explained to me in the December interview, noting that his father was “going to be our bank” and silent partner.”

Query whether AP actually contributed equally financially to the businesses. And query whether the businesses were even worth as much as Barry was calling to be repaid. Barry’s capital call could have significantly eroded AP’s net worth. Also, with Barry out of the way, AP potentially had access to endless more money via his partner, JS. MOO

Article quoted:

Last edited:
It was my understanding that Honey was to receive a windfall from her husband in the near future, at the time of their deaths, and from that windfall, Mary was somehow expecting, or had been promised by Honey (??) that Honey would then give most or all of it to Mary (that seems hard to believe - if H was to receive say $500,000,000 (half a BILLION), would she really then hand it all, or even $300,000,000 over to her sister??). It wasn't my understanding that Mary was simply being written into Honey's will for that amount. MS told KD her family is broke, no money for curtains, etc... Honey putting her sister into her will isn't going to help MS's curtain dilemma....... at least until Honey dies, if she was merely being left that money upon H's death - which could conceivably not have happened for 15 years or so. It was my understanding that MS mentioned this 'gift' from Honey to the Sherman children in the hopes they would honour their mother's reported wishes to do that for her sister, but instead, they put MS in their black book. imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member