Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"The report's authors found six collisions at the intersection between 1990 and 2017"

6 accidents in 27 years, that is only one accident every 4 1/2 years.....that seems pretty darn safe to me

"The review did not find another accident with vehicles travelling west and north."

so how can the trees be an issue then?

there hasn't been an accident in over 27 years with vehicles travelling in the same directions as the bus and truck were,

if the trees were an issue there would be more accidents there......im not buying this nonsense

The Saskatchewan government is promising to install rumble strips, lights, signs and road markers at the site where the Humboldt Broncos bus collided with a transport truck.

"To see this is going to be addressed, it's a good thing," said Scott Thomas, whose son, Evan was one of 16 people killed in the crash.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4942959

I am glad they are doing this. I just don’t know why it has taken over 8 months to propose these changes. I hope they are done ASAP!

all of these safety recommendations at the intersection are going to work in the truck drivers favor, they are going to pad his case,

his lawyers are going to be saying "see! the intersection is not safe! or they wouldn't be making all these changes! look at the safety report!"

the intersection and the trees will be blamed for the accident and this guy will walk away with a fine and a suspension, no time served, you heard it here first :)

all of these safety recommendations at the intersection are going to work in the truck drivers favor, they are going to pad his case,

his lawyers are going to be saying "see! the intersection is not safe! or they wouldn't be making all these changes! look at the safety report!"

the intersection and the trees will be blamed for the accident and this guy will walk away with a fine and a suspension, no time served, you heard it here first :)

They can use this report but a bad intersection or road does not excuse bad driving. If he was approaching an intersection with poor visibility he should have been driving more cautiously not less.

The above is a general reply I do not know yet if the truck driver was driving badly as the evidence has not been released yet.

They can use this report but a bad intersection or road does not excuse bad driving. If he was approaching an intersection with poor visibility he should have been driving more cautiously not less.

The above is a general reply I do not know yet if the truck driver was driving badly as the evidence has not been released yet.

As for the trees, it’s not as if they blocked visibility prior to a Yield sign. The only reason I’d see that it’d make any difference is if a driver was inclined to only come to a stop at a Stop signs if no other vehicles were sighted.

Only a thought not based on anything at all, but I wonder if this driver’s defence will involve inadequate training, that he underestimated the distance required to come to a full stop considering the truck and trailers substantial weight load of all those bales of peat moss? And that he didn’t intend to, but he didn’t know to brake soon enough and as a result rolled through the intersection? I’m not a trucker so I don’t know the proper terminology but the stopping distance required when carrying a specific weighted load must be far greater than when empty.

Putting 4-way stops along a highway, as someone suggested, makes no sense. It is the responsibility of the driver approaching a highway to come to a complete stop, look both ways a couple of times, and turn onto the highway when it's all clear.

Putting 4-way stops along a highway, as someone suggested, makes no sense. It is the responsibility of the driver approaching a highway to come to a complete stop, look both ways a couple of times, and turn onto the highway when it's all clear.

I agree. The semi was driving along paved secondary road #335 that intersected primary highway #35. Putting four-way stops on highways is not a solution.

What was the reason he chose his route from Carrot River I don’t recall stated but to me it looks like he was travelling the backroads to Alberta. It also appears he had no intention of turning onto Hwy 35. I don’t understand why he wouldn’t have travelled main highways from Carrot River, south on Hwy 23, then west on Hwy 3. Provincial highways generally have higher speed limits and secondary roads are not designed in the same way as truck routes. That he chose to avoid possible weigh scales is the only reason I can think of.

If there’s legislation introduced as a result of this accident, my vote would be semi’s should be required to travel directly to the nearest primary highway that leads to their destination.

He was only in the position for 6 months. The shoes of Darcy Haugan are huge shoes to fill, but I think his decision to step down tells us there is still a lot of emotional trauma around the team and town, understandably so. I'm not so sure having a team this year, just months after the tragedy, was such a great decision. I would have advised waiting until the 2019 season.

We will probably never know what really happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bubbles—
Back