GUILTY Canada - Catherine 'Catie' Miller, 29, Dartmouth, NS, 15 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
from the same link Miranda provided above:

The pair were both sentenced to life in prison. Johnson must serve 20 years in prison before being eligible for parole; MacDonald must serve 16. Both were handed five years for interfering with human remains — a term that will run concurrent to the murder sentence.

[...]

"I just hope that one day that God chooses to forgive me on your behalf."

Well, I hope S/He doesn't :furious:

Eastern Shore man found guilty of assisting Catie Miller’s murderers after the fact

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-news/eastern-shore-man-found-guilty-of-assisting-catie-millers-murderers-after-the-fact-539696

George Edward Hubley, 32, of Sheet Harbour Passage stood trial in Nova Scotia Supreme Court in Halifax.

Hubley admitted helping Miller’s killers — Jason James Johnson and Kelly Amanda MacDonald — dispose of the dismembered body and destroy evidence but testified he did so under duress.

Justice Felix Cacchione handed down the guilty verdict Friday, saying there was “no air of reality” to Hubley’s assertions that he acted out of fear for his and his family’s safety.

“On the basis of the evidence, I do find that Mr. Hubley was not explicitly or implicitly threatened, nor was his family threatened,” Cacchione said.

Hubley will be sentenced in April after a presentence report is prepared for the benefit of the judge.

In his decision, Cacchione cited numerous “inconsistencies, omissions and fabrications” in Hubley’s testimony that affected his credibility.

“Mr. Hubley in his evidence … downplayed or did not recall certain things that he previously admitted doing or saying,” the judge said.

“I’m quite certain that Mr. Hubley has blocked things out of his memory because of the gruesome events that took place on his property. However, I’m also certain that there are things he knows, has not blocked out and still will not acknowledge or speak of.”

Cacchione said it was clear from listening to Hubley’s statement to police and his testimony “that his alleged fear stemmed not from any threats made to him or his family but from his belief that he would be labelled an informant.”

The judge said he was satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that Hubley was an accessory after the fact to murder and interfered with human remains.

Man who helped Catie Miller’s killers dispose of body, evidence gets four years in prison

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-news/man-who-helped-catie-millers-killers-dispose-of-body-evidence-gets-four-years-in-prison-600007

An Eastern Shore man had several chances to distance himself from Catie Miller’s killers but chose to help them cover their tracks, a Halifax judge said Thursday.

George Edward Hubley, 32, of Sheet Harbour Passage was sentenced in Nova Scotia Supreme Court on charges of being an accessory after the fact to Miller’s July 2014 murder and interfering with her remains.

Justice Felix Cacchione gave Hubley a four-year prison sentence, saying that what occurred after the killing “was shocking and even more chilling than her death.”

“The brutal nature of Ms. Miller’s death and the indignities committed (on) her are really a profound affront to the values that society holds,” Cacchione said. ‘Instead of (making) the right, natural, humane and obvious choice, Mr. Hubley chose to participate in this heinous offence.”

Hubley, who was granted bail in January 2015, told the court Thursday he wanted to offer his condolences to the victim’s family “for the pain and suffering that Jason Johnson and Kelly MacDonald brought upon them on that cold night in July.”

“I would like to apologize to the Miller family for the small part that I was unexpectedly forced to be part of. … I understand that I did break the law by not calling the RCMP after Johnson and MacDonald left my property.

“I truly hope the Miller family understand I was in shock after the gruesome and devastating acts that Jason committed. These images have haunted me since that night. I keep seeing them over and over and over again in my head.

In a victim impact statement, Dr. John Miller said his family was desperate for someone to come forward with information about his daughter after she went missing.

“You had that information,” he said of Hubley. “You did the opposite. You covered things up. You went out of your way to hide things. You assisted the murderers. You added to our pain.

“I can only hope that your sentence will give you a lot of time to think about your actions on that day, your actions in the months you were silent before you were charged, and how you have acted since.”

Chris Miller, a Toronto police officer, said his sister was survived by an incredible son.

“Our family will support Oliver and always be there for him,” he said in an impact statement. “But every time I look at him, play with him or speak to him, I see and hear Catie and think about what you and your evil friends did to her. This will never, ever go away (for) us.

“To normal, reasonable members of society, the actions taken that day are completely unreasonable and unimaginable. Unfortunately, it shows that evil does live with us and is a reminder that we should all not take life for granted.”

He said he prays that Hubley will never forget what he has done.

“You or your co-accused will never have my forgiveness,” he said. “I will be at every parole hearing and every court proceeding to ensure that my sister has a voice. She will not be forgotten.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Horrorgirl87
Back