CANADA Canada - Cedrika Provencher, 9, Trois-Rivieres, QC, 31 July 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Most of the links are dead now. I can't find any suspect sketch at all. I'm not even sure if any sketch was ever done. The suspect description is pretty vague too. Witnesses gave a car description of a red Acura but I don't know if this comes from the same night Cedrika disappeared or the days before. I've read that a man was on a bicycle asking girls to help him search for his lost dog and even offering money to help (from 40 to 165 dollars?) There was a man who had that type of car who did not cooperate with the investigation and said he had his car in storage. I really hope this case gets solved because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there anymore.

1104171-restes-cedrika-ete-retrouves-quelque.jpg

The bones were discovered about 15 kilometers from where the girl was last seen. They were found in a small walking path, some 500 meters from the road perpendicular to the exit 210. They were transported and analyzed at the Laboratory of Forensic Science and Forensic Medicine.

The above is from google translation of this article:
http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/actualites/justice-et-faits-divers/201512/12/01-4930639-les-restes-de-cedrika-provencher-retrouves.php

Location of the above photo is here:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.4354847,-72.4878492,3a,75y,64.51h,76.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgIPUaQT3QcN0IFZSNiJn8Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looks the perpetrator simply got on the highway and dumped Cedrika's body just off the highway for a quick getaway.

I hope this discovery provides the final tips that lead to catching the culprit.

cedrika-provencher.PNG
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...-family-reacts-to-news-of-her-death-1.3362957

"Cédrika Provencher's family members are saying they can finally start mourning after her body was found in Saint-Maurice, near Trois-Rivières, Que.

The Sûreté du Québec announced late Saturday that the remains found in the wooded area belonged to Provencher, who went missing in 2007.

Cédrika's father Martin Provencher wrote on Facebook that the family could start mourning. Cédrika's loved ones were informed of the news Saturday.

Provencher also thanked everyone for their unwavering support since 2007.

"Without you, we would still be at the same point," wrote Provencher. "You have helped us overcome another step in this horrible tragedy."

This article appeared prior to announcing the identity of the remains, it seems, imo. that everyone worked very hard throughout the night to make the identification.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/human-remains-highway-40-1.3362713

Posted: Dec 12, 2015 5:11 PM

"Human remains found along Highway 40 in St-Maurice, Que.
Police will work overnight to determine the identity"

"The Sûreté du Québec's forensic team were called to a service road next to Highway 40 Eastbound on Friday afternoon.

Work has begun to try to identify the remains, says SQ spokesman Daniel Thibaudeau.

"We're trying to analyze what we have and trying to identify the human remains," he said."

ETA, Wonder if this case has anything to do with these possibly connected cases?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...SK-responsible-for-child-killings-1980-s-90-s
"Quebec police believe SK responsible for child killings, 1980's-90's"

From Google translate..
https://translate.google.ca/transla...ve-le-crane-de-cedrika-provencher&prev=search

"Interview with a hunter
"We found the skull of Cédrika Provencher
"

TVA Nouvelles

| Published December 13, 2015 at 10:12 - Update at 10:18"

""I knew at once that everyone I had found Cédrika Provencher," said Pascal Lanthier in VAT News.

Two days after practicing hunting small game, Mr. Lanthier hoped that either the bones of the girl 9 years old when he found the skull.

"This is my brother Martin, who made the discovery of the skull of Cédrika. We went to join him and we knew it was a human skull. It was hoped that it was that of Cédrika Provencher so that parents can do their mourning and to bury their daughter, "said he said."

RIP Cédrika, It's so sad. Now at least her parents have closure, small consolation as it is.

That still doesn't make sense to me. Unless it's super crappy police work but dental is only used to positively ID someone when there is an absence of a DNA sample and circumstantial evidence as a whole leads a coroner to believe the remains are that of Cedrika.
They should STILL be fine tooth combing the scene looking for even a single hair fibre to run. It just doesn't add up.

With Tim Bosma they were able to positively ID using dental records so quickly because of all the circumstantial evidence , him being found on that guys farm (the suspect), the fact the guy rented an incinerator , tims remains were burned, etc. I'm not discounting trying to be in denial about who the remains belong to but the quick ID is bothering me. Quick ID on remains out in the elements for 10 years...

I can't help but to look at it objectively. Especially when dealing with such an important detail. I hope in the days coming we will find out more info.

Does quebec have their own centre for forensics? Or do they use the one in Toronto? I'm going to ask my Teacher who basically founded the Forensic ident unit of Toronto police because I need to know how this was done so quickly. I'll report back.

Tori Stafford was IDed via her dental and this info was released right away, the next day I think.

That still doesn't make sense to me. Unless it's super crappy police work but dental is only used to positively ID someone when there is an absence of a DNA sample and circumstantial evidence as a whole leads a coroner to believe the remains are that of Cedrika.
They should STILL be fine tooth combing the scene looking for even a single hair fibre to run. It just doesn't add up.

With Tim Bosma they were able to positively ID using dental records so quickly because of all the circumstantial evidence , him being found on that guys farm (the suspect), the fact the guy rented an incinerator , tims remains were burned, etc. I'm not discounting trying to be in denial about who the remains belong to but the quick ID is bothering me. Quick ID on remains out in the elements for 10 years...

I can't help but to look at it objectively. Especially when dealing with such an important detail. I hope in the days coming we will find out more info.

Does quebec have their own centre for forensics? Or do they use the one in Toronto? I'm going to ask my Teacher who basically founded the Forensic ident unit of Toronto police because I need to know how this was done so quickly. I'll report back.

I agree, that was a pretty quick ID of remains. At first I thought maybe LE was led there by a suspect but now I see some hunters found the remains, which is typical this time of year.

Speculation by me: So he took Cedrika, drove 15 km to the place and parked. It was already around 8:30ish I think. He knew the place and knew no one would be there at that time. He likely told her the dog was lost on the trail to keep her from panicking too much. He did what he did there in the car. Then be put her in the woods.

Did he bury her? Put her in a bag of some kind? How far in from the entry was she found?

Most of the links are dead now. I can't find any suspect sketch at all. I'm not even sure if any sketch was ever done. The suspect description is pretty vague too. Witnesses gave a car description of a red Acura but I don't know if this comes from the same night Cedrika disappeared or the days before. I've read that a man was on a bicycle asking girls to help him search for his lost dog and even offering money to help (from 40 to 165 dollars?) There was a man who had that type of car who did not cooperate with the investigation and said he had his car in storage. I really hope this case gets solved because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there anymore.

Article from 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...t-haired-driver-in-missing-girl-case-1.641647

"Police have provided a descriptionof the suspect in the Cédrika case:

Caucasian, French-speaking man of medium build.
Chestnut hair, age 30-40.
Wearing Bermudas, short-sleeved shirt and sandals.

Investigators saysuspect was driving a Red Acura:

Four-door sedan withchrome handles anduntinted windows.
Model 2002-04

Anyone with information is asked to call 1-800-659-4264.

Nearly five weeks after the 10-year-old vanished from her Trois-Rivières neighbourhood, police said they're looking for a red Acura four-door identified by several eyewitnesses in the moments leading up to the girl's disappearance.

The car has chrome handles and untinted windows, but may have been altered in the weeks that followed the abduction, Sûreté du Québec spokesman François Doré said in a press conference Thursday in Trois-Rivières, a mid-size city in central Quebec.

The driver is described as a white, French-speaking man of medium build with chestnut-coloured hair, between 30 and 40 years old. He was wearing Bermuda shorts, a short-sleeved shirt and sandals at the time.
mtl-acura0906

Doré said it was impossible for investigators to produce a police sketch because they are missing vital features. The suspect could have changed his appearance in the weeks that followed the kidnapping."

I still can't believe that police didn't make a sketch. Who cares if he changed his appearance after the abduction? What did he look like at the time? What about the guy on the bike the day before? Was it the same guy?

Very upsetting. Mother had asked from the get go "why no amber alert?"

I don't know how it is in Canada and other parts of the world, but here in Sweden identification through forensic dentistry is considered to be as sure as by fingerprints or DNA, and it's much quicker when there are dental x-rays to compare.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/cédrika-provencher-body-found-1.3362957

'We felt it was related to Cédrika'

A trio of hunters found the girl's remains Friday.

Pascal Lanthier told Radio-Canada that they immediately called police.

"We came to meet my brother and when we saw the skull, we felt it was related to Cédrika Provencher," Pascal Lanthier said.

"I am almost always in the forest. I was absolutely certain, I had a feeling that one day I would find her."

Quebec has their own "Laboratoire de Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale".

(Think > Temp Brennan > Kathy Reichs, forensic anthropologist, author, TV series "Bones")

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC
Back