Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 - #2 *killer identified*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm incredibly proud to have been part of the Forensic Genetic Genealogy team with Redgrave Research who helped with this case. My heart goes out to Christine's family, and also go Guy Moran. Today must be an emotional rollercoaster for them.

Here's an article quoting Christine's brother Kenney's response to the news of the killer being identified.

https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...es-theory-on-how-his-sister-was-abducted-by-c

He explained Hoover’s wife, Heather, was very close with Janet and worked with his father, Bob, as a receptionist at Eastern Independent Telecom.

As for what he thinks about the news, Kenney said now that he knows the truth, it all makes sense.

"It comes together … It all fits," he said. "He knew!"

By that, he was referring to the fact Heather was one of three people who knew the family was headed to the East Detention Centre to visit Bob, who was in prison on misappropriation of funds charges. As a result, Calvin may have heard Christine would be alone.

Also, dodgy forensic science procedures and evidence. I doubt it was a case covered by Forensic Files

The murder of Christine happened in 1984. I believe the first instance of DNA in Canada was in 1992:

Ryan Love

DNA was preserved and fortunately has led to the discovery of the murderer 36 years later.

Even after he was exonerated, the lead prosecutor and detective remained convinced of his guilt.
Seriously? I didnt know that. Just goes to show that seasoned hunches and gut instincts are not always right, contrary to some egos. Is there a link I could read about that?

I loved reading Kirk Makin's book (Redrum) when it came out. Until reading it, I had suspected Morin, thanks to media. I can't imagine the realm of emotions Morin, as well as CJ's family, must be experiencing with this news. Such incredible technology! So glad it is no longer a question mark.

The murder of Christine happened in 1984. I believe the first instance of DNA in Canada was in 1992:

Ryan Love

DNA was preserved and fortunately has led to the discovery of the murderer 36 years later.

It is amazing what is possible now, accessing information from even the most "unusable" DNA evidence.

Seriously? I didnt know that. Just goes to show that seasoned hunches and gut instincts are not always right, contrary to some egos. Is there a link I could read about that?

I loved reading Kirk Makin's book (Redrum) when it came out. Until reading it, I had suspected Morin, thanks to media. I can't imagine the realm of emotions Morin, as well as CJ's family, must be experiencing with this news. Such incredible technology! So glad it is no longer a question mark.

DNA solves 1984 murder of Christine Jessop, suspect dead: Toronto police
''Ramer said this brings closure to both the Jessop family and to Morin, who was updated on the development Thursday morning.

Morin’s lawyer, James Lockyer, issued a statement on his behalf — the only statement Morin said he will be making.

“This morning, two members of the Toronto Police Service came to my home and told me that they had identified the man who murdered Christine Jessop through DNA found on Christine’s clothing.

“I am relieved for Christine’s mother, Janet, and her family, and hope this will give them some peace of mind. They have been through a dreadful ordeal for 36 years since they lost Christine in 1984,” the statement continued.

“I am grateful that the Toronto Police stayed on the case and have now finally solved it. When DNA exonerated me in January, 1995, I was sure that one day DNA would reveal the real killer and now it has.”

Congratulations to Websleuths member Othram (as in Dave from Othram labs) for the hard work their employees did along with others in solving Christine's murder.
My Friends I cannot stress enough what a great group of dedicated people operate Othram labs. We are very proud to call Othram a friend of the Websleuths community.

We love being part of the community and we are all truly grateful for everyone's support.

Regarding the DNA, there must have been a DNA profile from the crime scene in 1995 when Guy Paul Morin was excluded as a suspect for the murder. The semen stain was sent for genetic genealogical comparisons, a first for a Canadian case. It was sent to Texas and compared to family trees, which led to a new person of interest. Hoover's DNA was preserved from his autopsy.

Nicole Morin went missing one year later, in 1985. A white blonde woman was seen hanging around with a clipboard on the same floor of the apartment building where Nicole lived. I wonder what Heather Hoover, Calvin Hoover’s wife looked like back then?

What I want to know is, since Calvin Hoover's name came up in the initial investigation, why was he not interviewed? He was a neighbour and a friend of the family. He had a wife and children who played with Christine.

He was missing during the exact hours that Christine disappeared, her body was 50 km from her home. That took time. Didn't his family notice that he was missing at the same time that Christine was missing?

"At Thursday press conference, Ramer asked the public to come forward with any information that would help build a timeline around Jessop’s murder, and about Hoover over the course of his life. He would have been 28 in 1984.

“If he were alive today, Toronto police would arrest Calvin Hoover for the murder of Christine Jessop,” Ramer said.

Hoover had a neighbourly relationship with Jessop’s family at the time, Ramer said. He was not considered a suspect at the time, but his name had come up in the initial police investigation as someone who had access to Christine.

He had a dated criminal record that had “no significance to this investigation,” Ramer said.

Toronto police provided a DNA sample from semen found on Jessop’s underwear to Othram Inc., a Texas-based lab that works with law-enforcement agencies. The lab was able to run the sample against DNA databases and create two “family trees” that included distant relatives of Hoover. Toronto police were able to investigate these family trees and, ultimately, test the DNA sample against Hoover’s blood samples held after his death by the Centre of Forensic Sciences. It matched.

Hoover’s wife, Heather, was very close with his mother, Janet Jessop, and worked as a receptionist alongside his father, Bob Jessop, at Eastern Independent Telecom. The families spent time at each other’s homes for birthdays and barbecues.

Toronto police say Hoover was never interviewed by them."​

Christine Jessop’s brother explains his theory about her abduction after police identify the killer in her 1984 murder

Ryan Love

Actually, the first identification of a suspect utilizing DNA in Canada happened in the fall of 1989 when it was used to identify Alan Legere, then an escaped murderer whom I know personally, as the perpetrator of an active murderous rampage happening in Miramichi (my hometown), New Brunswick. He was recaptured in November 1989 and was indicted in December 1990 based upon the DNA results for the further murders he committed while escaped. He was convicted in November 1991 - setting the standard for Canadian trials and admissibility of DNA evidence.

Incidentally, the original murder he was serving time for upon his escape was that of John Glendenning - a murder which also had my cousin as one of the other participants (he was also convicted). In 1986/87 while attending my freshman year at Mount Allison University, Mr. Glendenning's grand-daughter was assigned as my room-mate. Rather than awkward, I fully supported her in my disgust of my relative's and friends actions that night and the Glendenning's family's quest for justice.

Christine was abducted on my 16th birthday. I am sooooo happy to see her family and Guy Paul and his family finally receive some long-overdue answers. May they all have comfort and rest well tonight.

https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/law/...al_collection__r__v__allan_joseph_legere_.pdf

A look at genetic genealogy, the science that helped identify Christine Jessop's killer
''Genetic genealogy is not widely used in Canada, but this case could change that, according to Sean Sparling, a former police chief in Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., and president of the Investigative Solutions Network.

“This is going to be a new emerging technology for Canadian law enforcement. You’re going to see a lot of cold case units where they have unsolved homicides, unsolved serial rapist cases, they’re going to be turning to this technology,” Sparling told CTV News Channel on Thursday.

In the United States, genetic genealogy has already helped crack several decades-old cold cases. Last year, forensic genealogists tracked down the identity of a woman killed near a Lake Tahoe hiking trail in 1982 and the identity of her killer.

In California, a man who was falsely accused of murdering a newspaper columnist and spent 14 years in prison was exonerated thanks to the technology. His case marked the second time in the U.S. that genetic genealogy helped prove someone innocent.''

Actually, the first identification of a suspect utilizing DNA in Canada happened in the fall of 1989 when it was used to identify Alan Legere, then an escaped murderer whom I know personally, as the perpetrator of an active murderous rampage happening in Miramichi (my hometown), New Brunswick. He was recaptured in November 1989 and was indicted in December 1990 based upon the DNA results for the further murders he committed while escaped. He was convicted in November 1991 - setting the standard for Canadian trials and admissibility of DNA evidence.

Incidentally, the original murder he was serving time for upon his escape was that of John Glendenning - a murder which also had my cousin as one of the other participants (he was also convicted). In 1986/87 while attending my freshman year at Mount Allison University, Mr. Glendenning's grand-daughter was assigned as my room-mate. Rather than awkward, I fully supported her in my disgust of my relative's and friends actions that night and the Glendenning's family's quest for justice.

Christine was abducted on my 16th birthday. I am sooooo happy to see her family and Guy Paul and his family finally receive some long-overdue answers. May they all have comfort and rest well tonight.

https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/law/...al_collection__r__v__allan_joseph_legere_.pdf

Thank you! That's very interesting. The Ryan Love case is the same time period and required foreign experts to testify about the validity of DNA. I'm curious - going to look into it a bit more tomorrow.

This is the case I'm referring to: R v. Love, Alta Queen's Bench. It's in the footnotes.

"From a legal historical perspective, how significant was the Legere case to the acceptance of DNA evidence in Canada? I have been asked that question many times over the years. It is very difficult to assess. Frankly, I have always been uncomfortable in trying to answer, perhaps because Legere was not the first DNA case in Canada32, nor did it end in our highest Court, and perhaps because there were serious cases across the country not long after Legere, where DNA evidence was challenged but admitted"33.
Click this tiny image to see the footnote 33:

upload_2020-10-15_23-6-30.png

From the same link:

"The first known use of DNA evidence in a Canadian case was R v. Parent (1989) 46 C.C.C. (3d) 414 (Alta. Q.B.), where PCR based evidence was obtained by the Crown through a private laboratory. It excluded the accused and was entered with consent at trial."​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth