Canada - Christine Jessop, 9, Queensville, Ont, 3 Oct 1984 *killer identified* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Of course now it seems inconceivable that Christine's murderer wasn't looked at at the time! I mean, going by KJ's comments that only a few people knew Christine would be on her own, makes it seem obvious that Calvin Hoover (and yes, I do put his name in full now that he has been named) would be thoroughly investigated. As for his ex-wife, I don't think she really has to say anything to fill in LE at this point. It would be up to her I guess.

LISTEN: Joe Warmington discusses the solving of Christine Jessop's murder | Toronto Sun
October 27, 2020

Podcast, "... Dave Brekinridge is joined by Toronto Sun columnist Joe Warmington by phone to talk about the historic case"

Wrt 2015 police contact with CH

@15:50

"You know there's different versions of it.
But Ken Jessop, Christine Jessop's brother told me that what the police told him is that they were doing a routine knock on the door and he talked to the officers and I guess he must of because he had this hanging over him in the back of his memory and obviously conscience. He just hanged himself.

Wow

But they weren't on to him yet. In fact they weren't on to him until it came back with the profile from the geneology people in the States. ...

Chris Doucette, the great police reporter, told me that
and I don't want to contradict what Ken told me.
But Chris said he was told that they were talking to him about a fraud investigation. It wasn't about the thing with Christine Jessop.

But you know, the police when they're doing things. They may tell you one thing and they may be doing something completley different. They may not want to spook him. They were talking about a fraud investigation just to see where he's at. You know, and see how he reacts."

That was a good overview of the details in the interview!

This is another historical cold case of a child abduction and murder solved this month by familial DNA. The 5 year old victim was Siobhan McGuinness, and the killer was Richard William Davis, who was a married man with children, including daughters, and was unknown to the victim's family. LE and the FBI are also reaching out to the public to help track his steps over the years. Familial DNA is the break through in solving historical cases where DNA was properly preserved. It will be interesting to see if the killer's family members will cooperate with further investigations in solving other cold case murders (after they get over their shock).

“He was a pretty normal looking guy,” she said. “He had a pretty large family. He left behind a widow. The (detective) said, it's extremely rare for this type of criminal to have maintained a family. He moved around a lot. He moved suddenly. He would tell his wife, I have a job in Florida. We're moving to Florida. They would get there and there wouldn't be a job. It was a lie to relocate the family quickly.” (When Davis killed Siobhan, he was ostensibly on a trip to visit an out of town relative.)

“This is the pathological behavior of a person,” Steven said. “And it shows up early on. Moving abruptly for no reason. Erratic behavior, even with someone with a family. But the family seems to be a cover for his activities. So he could appear normal. Evil never sleeps, I guess.”

“Missoula Police and the FBI are reaching out to the places he had moved,” Oona said. “Maybe this will lead to many other cold cases being solved. The likelihood is strong, that will happen.”

Oona says investigators had already run the sample against the known criminal database. The consumer one was their last hope. And all of this because one of Davis’ relatives had provided their DNA to a consumer database. The family was told experts who helped catch the Golden State Killer offered assistance on Siobhan’s case.

“I was told by the detectives that as he was dying he became extremely religious and left some letters behind stating that he had been a very bad person,” Oona said. “He did leave indications that he was seeking forgiveness toward the end of his life. This was a man who had children. They showed us pictures. He was holding a baby, he had daughters.” (I wonder if CH left a suicide note expressing similar regrets).

At this point, the family he is survived by, there isn't any indication of child abuse or spousal abuse,” she said. “He had children who loved and adored him. It has to be so hard. If his family sees this, I want them to know how much it means that they were willing to talk about this. They didn't have to. They accepted this information and worked with everybody. I can't imagine how they must be feeling.” (Can you imagine how CH's sons feel, being childhood friends of Christine? I hope they are also cooperating with the investigation).

Familial DNA hit solves 1974 murder of Missoula 5-year-old, suspect deceased

Last edited:
Yes! I think it will be a lengthy investigation for sure and very overwhelming for everyone related to him. It just goes to show how many lives can be impacted by one person’s actions in one moment of time.

I am much less optimistic that there'll be an official, publicly-available investigation by LE, unless they identify other crimes by CH. Now that he's been identified, it won't surprise me if we hear little more -- unless a decent true crime author decides to investigate and write a book.

“He was a pretty normal looking guy,” she said. “He had a pretty large family. He left behind a widow. The (detective) said, it's extremely rare for this type of criminal to have maintained a family. He moved around a lot. He moved suddenly. He would tell his wife, I have a job in Florida. We're moving to Florida. They would get there and there wouldn't be a job. It was a lie to relocate the family quickly.” (When Davis killed Siobhan, he was ostensibly on a trip to visit an out of town relative.)

“This is the pathological behavior of a person,” Steven said. “And it shows up early on. Moving abruptly for no reason. Erratic behavior, even with someone with a family. But the family seems to be a cover for his activities. So he could appear normal. Evil never sleeps, I guess.”

“Missoula Police and the FBI are reaching out to the places he had moved,” Oona said. “Maybe this will lead to many other cold cases being solved. The likelihood is strong, that will happen.”

Oona says investigators had already run the sample against the known criminal database. The consumer one was their last hope. And all of this because one of Davis’ relatives had provided their DNA to a consumer database. The family was told experts who helped catch the Golden State Killer offered assistance on Siobhan’s case.

“I was told by the detectives that as he was dying he became extremely religious and left some letters behind stating that he had been a very bad person,” Oona said. “He did leave indications that he was seeking forgiveness toward the end of his life. This was a man who had children. They showed us pictures. He was holding a baby, he had daughters.” (I wonder if CH left a suicide note expressing similar regrets).

At this point, the family he is survived by, there isn't any indication of child abuse or spousal abuse,” she said. “He had children who loved and adored him. It has to be so hard. If his family sees this, I want them to know how much it means that they were willing to talk about this. They didn't have to. They accepted this information and worked with everybody. I can't imagine how they must be feeling.” (Can you imagine how CH's sons feel, being childhood friends of Christine? I hope they are also cooperating with the investigation).

Familial DNA hit solves 1974 murder of Missoula 5-year-old, suspect deceased

What stands out for me in the article is the similarity of the perp moving around to different places, in this case to different states even. CH moved to various places within the same district a fair amount. The victim's family in this article shows such appreciation and empathy for the perps family who were willing to talk about their father’s life. They didn’t have to but they chose to even though it must have been hard on them.

What stands out for me in the article is the similarity of the perp moving around to different places, in this case to different states even. CH moved to various places within the same district a fair amount. The victim's family in this article shows such appreciation and empathy for the perps family who were willing to talk about their father’s life. They didn’t have to but they chose to even though it must have been hard on them.

Yes I also noted few pages ago that Calvin Hoover was moving a lot and possibly had a small shed or a tiny storage somewhere where he could have left the little girl. I hope they are investigating all the properties and storages he had owned during the time of the murder.

And yes, we probably won't know what they find.

Yes I also noted few pages ago that Calvin Hoover was moving a lot and possibly had a small shed or a tiny storage somewhere where he could have left the little girl. I hope they are investigating all the properties and storages he had owned during the time of the murder.

And yes, we probably won't know what they find.

Oh, wow! I didn’t see that detail about the small shed or storage. Do you know which article that was in?

I am much less optimistic that there'll be an official, publicly-available investigation by LE, unless they identify other crimes by CH. Now that he's been identified, it won't surprise me if we hear little more -- unless a decent true crime author decides to investigate and write a book.

I agree. As the identity of Christine’s killer has finally been established through his DNA there’s no reason for LE to publicly dwell on the details of her murder as he’s dead, no murder charges will be laid so no reason to pursue an investigation as no trial will occur.

If LE are able to connect other murders to him hopefully that’ll provide closure to other cold case files and answers to other families who will finally know who was responsible. indeed, often times it’s preferable the accused is dead so loved ones don’t have to sit through a long trial and relive heartbreak by hearing all the evidence.

Oh, wow! I didn’t see that detail about the small shed or storage. Do you know which article that was in?

My apologies. I was not clear but that was a conjecture. It was not stated anywhere that he owned a storage or a shed during that time.
Or at least I haven't seen this anywhere.
I do think he could've had based on his work as electrician. I have an electrician friend and he needs a lot of storage for his tools, and has access to vans and other equipment quite easily.

Where was the evidence that she rode her bike to the store? I don’t think anyone saw her with her bike that day. On the contrary:

(xv) Robert Atkinson - Atkinson’s Evidence
On October 3, 1984, Robert Atkinson and his friend Doug Thompson were commuting to their work at a manufacturing plant in Holland Landing, a village approximately six miles away from Queensville. Their shift was to commence at 4:30 p.m. They were proceeded east on the Queensville Sideroad. They stopped at the stop sign at the corner of Leslie Street and Queensville Sideroad for approximately two to three minutes to allow the heavy traffic on Leslie Street to pass. The general store where Christine Jessop had purchased candy after school is located at that corner. Atkinson testified that while stopped at the sign, he looked at his wrist watch and noted the time was approximately 4:00 p.m. While stopped, he noticed a little girl wearing a blue top standing across from the store, holding a bag of candy in one hand and a recorder in the other. She appeared to be waiting for someone or something. He testified at Morin’s second trial that, after noticing the recorder in the child’s hand, he remarked to Thompson “How about we can get this little girl to play us a tune while we’re waiting.” They then proceeded on to Holland Landing for their shift.
Two witnesses who knew Christine - Kim Warnaar and Dale Moore - both testified to seeing Christine on her bike that day after school. It was Christine's usual practice to bike to the store. It is a good little hike, and the day was cool and windy, so it seems unlikely she would have walked. In addition, Mrs. Jessop noticed immediately upon returning home that the bike was laying on the floor rather than leaned against the freezer, which seems to confirm it was used by Chrsitine after school.
The defence tried very hard to dispute these indications that the bike had been used, because if it had not, the possible ways in which Christine could have been abducted greatly expanded. Again I come back to distinguishing between what is probable and what is possible. Given several indications that Christine used her bike on October 3rd, and the fact that this was her usual practice, we should assume that she did so. The possibility that she did not is remote.
In weighing the evidence of Atkinson, it must be remembered that he did not know Christine. There were many mutually inconsistent reports of people seeing both Chrsitine and mysterious vehicles. This is usual as people want to be helpful.

I have a feeling that the police going after GPM wasn't so random. I think somewhere, someone leaked the information that he suffered from schizophrenia and bingo, the police decided that he must of been the one to have committed the crime.
It was actually Clayton Ruby (Guy Paul's lawyer) who tendered evidence of schizophrenia to support Guy Paul's insanity plea at the first trial. Prior to this time, he was considered a little weird by the neighbours. He stayed up all hours, made a lot of noise with his air compressor - that sort of thing. Personally, I think a bit too much has been made of this in trying to explain his wrongful conviction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back