Found Deceased Canada - Dan Archbald, 37, & Ryan Daley, 43, Ucluelet, Bc, 16 May 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello Sjm_qc,

I've bolded the line (above) from the news article you posted earlier.

The police have not discussed the "discovery of articles of clothing and a pill bottle that could belong to Dan."

Hopefully these articles (if linked to Dan and Ryan) can provide DNA of the monsters who did this.

It was later said that no one recognized the items.

“The search turned up an article of clothing and a pill bottle near Ucluelet, but Youell said no one recognized either item. A month after the two disappeared, both families are beginning to fear the worst.“

On Vancouver Island, three men go missing and a province wonders why | The Star

This is only my opinion. I have thought that perhaps Dan and Ryan were victims of organized crime because of mistaken identity.

Criminals may have thought Dan and Ryan were someone else - perhaps the perps even thought they were picking up two different guys when they showed up to offer a ride.

We may never know.
I hope they do figure this out.

With regards to speculatiin about these men being involved with OC, if it was me, and I had agreed to do some kind of smuggling for some criminal types I didn't know well, no way would I trust those people enough to get in a vehicle so they could drive off with me and the stuff, not having paid me yet, and no one knowing where I was.

Pay me when I transfer over the goods in a safe place, then I go somewhere private with the money.

Just saying, that's how these transactions work, not that it's what went down.

<modsnip: internet rumor, and LE has indicated they do not wish actual location known>

Since it's been reported the case is not random it isn't as simple as mistaken identity.

Last edited by a moderator:
On one hand, not what I expected and then on the other hand, what I expected. I am so sad to hear that Dan and Ryan have been found deceased.

My first theory is now blown up, so now what? This is a very strange case. Two decent guys; one with a family and young children. Nothing to suggest that they were up to anything nefarious.

Could it simply be a botched robbery? I don't think LE thinks that in that they have stated that this wasn't a random act.

I don't think we are going to hear much more from LE now. Not that we heard much before.

Let's hope they find who did this quickly and get them put where they can't do any more harm.

With respect to the headlines about the deaths not being random, I don't think that means the homicides weren't possibly random, ie are known to have been targetted.

"VIIMCU continues to investigate the circumstances around their disappearance and deaths however investigators are treating this as a homicide and not a random incident."
B.C. RCMP - Remains of Two Men Identified

Chek News (our local) footage from press conference with RCMP spokeswoman today. She states that remains were found near the junction. Not much else given for details but worth watching.

CHEK News: Official Page

Thanks for the link to the presser video!
Here's are my notes from it [paraphrasing much of it]:

When asked about whether this case was related to the Ben Kilmer case, she said that the General Investigation section was working on the Kilmer case and the Vancouver Island Major Crime Unit was working on the Archbald/Daley case. They have no reason to believe these cases are related.

Any suspect(s)? No. VIMCU is still looking for tips.

Any evidence on the boat? The boat was searched. There was nothing untoward found on the boat.

There has been rampant speculation on social media. LE relies on facts.

Were any belongings found with the remains? Don't have that information.

Can't speak to the condition of the remains or the autopsy.

How long dead for? Don't have that information.

Why do you believe this is not random? Due to the results of the autopsy. It was deemed a homicide. [I found this response particularly weak. There are random homicides.]

You indicated that you were suspicious from the beginning. Why? We take our cue from the families. It was out of nature for these individuals based on what the family knows about them.

Any ideas as to motive? I have no information to share on that.

--
Watching this video reminded me of how advantageous it is for LE to have a PR officer. They can plead ignorance on so many details and they can completely control the conversation as a result. I went through a brief media training program at my work a few weeks ago. It's really interesting to watch the 'techniques' in action.

Of course, I have no bone to pick with LE, they have to decide what should be released, and what shouldn't, all based on what they know behind the scenes and what is in the best interest of the investigation.

Interesting tidbit in this article, not just some random woman walking her dog but a SAR member:

"The remains were discovered by Ucluelet resident and Westcoast Inland Search and Rescue member Reanne Hamel and her trained search dog Splash while on a walk near Ucluelet sometime between June 11-15."

https://www.pqbnews.com/news/sister...ar-ucluelet-were-ryan-daley-and-dan-archbald/

Thanks for that kmclaren…it makes sense, SAR were all over the area between the marina and the junction.

<modsnip>

Most of this region has always been leased from the government for long term logging. Other than fishing and tourism, those are the only industries. The logging company builds roads to access timber, and once an area has been clear cut, abandons it for somewhere else.

So my guess would be this is an area formerly logged <modsnip>

My thoughts are, if it turns out to be them, and if it was murder, someone local would be the likely culprit, or someone who's explored the area well. Which is extremely scary for a village of less than 1,700 people.

I'm with ya Satchie. I definitely think this was someone local who knows the area and roads very very well. I was thinking a logger, truck driver or maybe even fisherman like Ryan was.

Honestly, after not seeing my husband for 8 weeks, knowing from where they had journeyed....I find it very odd that loved ones were not waiting (after three days in port), also family/friends were not contacted to let them know they had arrived......something is odd here........

Squamish where Dan's wife/family were is very, very far away so they wouldn't have picked him up. I'm not sure where Ryan's family lives, but even if in Victoria is a big trip for someone to do. It's not a casual little drive, it's a long one and with the price of gas... probably expensive! The fact that one of them reached out to an ex-girlfriend sounds a little desperate and like they didn't have a plan for when they got back.

Hold on a second ya'll…

The media reported DAN contacted an XGF for a ride??? (And so maybe she sent someone else???)

And it just hit me that it is Dan with a wife and kids at home waiting for him, maybe poor reporting BUT if not...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. WHAT is up with THAT???

ETA: Did this detail of phoning an X come by way of phone records???

This very much crossed my mind as well... jealous boyfriend of the ex-GF? Or some tensions arose with whoever picked them up?

<modsnip: snipped quote that was unapproved>

I have to wonder about the boat surveyor KC hooked them up with in those 3 days (assuming this is true, but I think I heard/read his name somewhere in the media but not sure where).

Or if the boat surveyor had someone unsavory with him when meeting with Ryan and Dan. This could be a crime through association and opportunity, so not random but not targeted/premeditated either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squamish where Dan's wife/family were is very, very far away so they wouldn't have picked him up. I'm not sure where Ryan's family lives, but even if in Victoria is a big trip for someone to do. It's not a casual little drive, it's a long one and with the price of gas... probably expensive! The fact that one of them reached out to an ex-girlfriend sounds a little desperate and like they didn't have a plan for when they got back.
I don't agree. I believe if all was on the up and up, Family or friends would have made arrangements to meet their loved ones after such a long time away, and the type of trip it was. That would have been arranged when they arrived (in port 3 days)
I am of the opinion that they wanted to handle their return privately, with no family involvement.

This haunts me :eek: I can only imagine her pain!!! I believe strongly intuition, at times, can be our strongest sense.

From June 4...
Snipped..."My feelings at this time are that there's definitely foul play involved and that they are no longer with us, because if Dan could, he would be in our lives somehow. He loves his daughters and he would be here if he could be," Bliss told CTV News Monday. "I can't believe that there would be any way he wouldn't have made contact with someone if he hadn't been killed, or was being held somewhere against his will."

Wife fears foul play in mysterious case of men who vanished in Ucluelet

I don't agree. I believe if all was on the up and up, Family or friends would have made arrangements to meet their loved ones after such a long time away, and the type of trip it was. That would have been arranged when they arrived (in port 3 days)
I am of the opinion that they wanted to handle their return privately, with no family involvement.

RBBM for focus

I agree. I do not believe they ever had any intention of hitchhiking; I do believe that is what they told their families as has been reported. And I don’t think this was random, either.

I just feel terrible for Dan, Ryan and their loved ones.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarlaJCarl
Back