Canada - Dawn Dumont Walker, 48, accused of abducting her son and faking their deaths, Saskatoon, 23 Jul 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“A Saskatoon judge is ordering the release of certain documents in the case of a woman accused of abducting her child and faking their deaths last summer.

Court heard Monday that Dawn Walker's lawyers plan to argue it was necessary for her and her child to flee a dangerous situation in Saskatoon.

In order to properly argue the "necessity" defence, they asked to see all documents related to her previous interactions with police and government agencies, as well as her arrest and detention.

On Monday, the judge agreed some of the documents are relevant and should be given to Walker's lawyers. For example, they must receive all records of her strip search and general logs for that prison over a one-week period. But the judge rejected their request to see all employee notes on the strip searches of the 200 inmates housed there.

The case returns to court Aug. 9. Following arguments about redactions, the documents are expected to be released then….”

From my perspective, at this stage she's doing what anyone does when facing legal charges: allowing her lawyer to create a legal defence (she's unlikely to be a criminal lawyer herself).

So when people say "Dawn is asserting...", or "Dawn is claiming...", I think it's good to remember it's really her defence lawyer who comes up with the legal arguments, which will be used in court to counter the prosecution claims.

One legal defence to child abduction is "Offenders may also plead that they were protecting either the children or themselves from immediate harm, usually from the other parent." So naturally her lawyer, who makes a living trying hard to get people off, has told her, 'let's try using that defence.'

IMO, let her have her day in court, let her lawyer do their best to present a legally viable defense, and let a judge decide. I think we all hope that judges can rise above all the varieties of hatred and harm that plague bad relationships.

JMO
From my perspective, at this stage she's doing what anyone does when facing legal charges: allowing her lawyer to create a legal defence (she's unlikely to be a criminal lawyer herself).

So when people say "Dawn is asserting...", or "Dawn is claiming...", I think it's good to remember it's really her defence lawyer who comes up with the legal arguments, which will be used in court to counter the prosecution claims.

One legal defence to child abduction is "Offenders may also plead that they were protecting either the children or themselves from immediate harm, usually from the other parent." So naturally her lawyer, who makes a living trying hard to get people off, has told her, 'let's try using that defence.'

IMO, let her have her day in court, let her lawyer do their best to present a legally viable defense, and let a judge decide. I think we all hope that judges can rise above all the varieties of hatred and harm that plague bad relationships.

JMO
I absolutely want her to have her day in court...everyone deserves that. And, she has an amazing lawyer that will pursue every avenue of defense. My comment wasn't related to her defense lawyer.

My concern is that the media (by quoting indigenous leadership only) had immediately positioned Dawn as the victim and her husband as an abuser. There was a huge outcry that she shouldn't be held in jail because she was innocent. Where are her ex-husband's rights?

And I think why this case has bothered me so much, is that women, and particularly indigenous women, are so, so often the victims and they often don't receive justice. In this case it was "oh, she's indigenous so she MUST be innocent. She MUST be a victim." All we know so far is that she abducted her son and faked their deaths.

I'm looking forward to the trial. If she was cheated out of custody rights by a corrupt system and her husband is proven to be an abuser then I'll be happy for her. But if not, then she will deserve punishment for a terrible crime....kidnapping.

Last edited:
As an aside, if you ever get a chance to read the defense lawyer's autobiography ("Nothing but the Truth")....do it! Marie Henein is an brilliant lawyer and an amazing woman. I'm sure she rubs some people the wrong way, but she truly stands up for the importance of a strong defense in our legal system. Her background is interesting as well.

My concern is that the media (by quoting indigenous leadership only) had immediately positioned Dawn as the victim and her husband as an abuser. There was a huge outcry that she shouldn't be held in jail because she was innocent. Where are her ex-husband's rights?
I agree, the media hasn't reported on this case in the same way they have reported on past and current child abductions.

Just my perspective, but I think political activists everywhere try to turn virtually anything into a political issue. And mischevious media play along, giving them a platform to express their views, hoping to attract a big crowd of readers/ viewers, just so they can sell them lots of peanuts and beer (and cars) while they watch the fracas. But if no one shows up to argue an opposing side, there won't be any political showdown, no melodrama to cover, just a trial, and a judgement and private individuals trying to pick up the pieces of their lives.

JMO

Nov 2 2023 Kendall Latimer · CBC New
1698947272143.png
Dawn Walker arrives at provincial court in Saskatoon on Nov. 2, 2023. (Dan Zakreski/CBC)
''Dawn Walker, a Saskatoon woman accused of abducting her child and faking their deaths, has pleaded guilty to three offences.

Walker pleaded guilty in Saskatoon provincial court Thursday to abduction in contravention of a custody or parenting order, making statements that were false and misleading for the purpose of obtaining passport, and possessing forged documents with the intention of committing an offence.

She had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges against her earlier this year.''

Walker spoke in court after entering her pleas Thursday.

"As an Indigenous parent it is my sacred duty, responsibility, to protect my [child]'s innocence," Walker, who is from the Okanese First Nation in Saskatchewan, said. "My only motivation was love."

Walker described her actions as a lapse of judgment.

"I am truly sorry for my actions," she said. "I cannot change what I did, but I will learn from it, grow from it and help others."

The Crown and defence made a joint submission asking for a 12-month conditional sentence — which would mean Walker could serve it in the community — followed by 18 months of probation. Judge Brad Mitchell will now consider the request and decide on a final sentence.''

Last edited:
Very lenient sentence. I hope that her case is cited next time a male parent does the same thing.

"A Saskatoon woman has been given a one-year jail sentence, to be served in the community, for abducting her child and using false identification to take the child illegally across the border into the U.S."

CBC

Very lenient sentence. I hope that her case is cited next time a male parent does the same thing.

"A Saskatoon woman has been given a one-year jail sentence, to be served in the community, for abducting her child and using false identification to take the child illegally across the border into the U.S."

CBC
Very. And she really didn’t express remorse but made excuses initially. Ugh.

Very light sentence. This woman not only abducted her child but went to great lengths to cover it up. I hope that part of her conditions is not to have contact with her child unless it is supervised by CFS and not somebody like a family member.

Dawn Walker was given a one-year conditional sentence in Saskatoon court last Thursday, after she pleaded guilty to charges of forgery and abduction.

The following day, the U.S. Attorney's Office asked a district court in Oregon to dismiss her charges there, saying it was in the interest of justice based on Walker's plea and sentencing in Canada. The court granted the motion
Provincial court Judge Brad Mitchell said last week that Walker's plan to flee with her child was well conceived, well organized and carried out over several months. He said she caused "immense trauma"' to family, friends and the public.

Mitchell accepted a joint recommendation for the sentence from Crown and defence lawyers, which included 18 months probation and 300 hours of community service. Walker cannot have contact with her child without supervision and must stay in Saskatchewan

There is absolutely no way that one parent should be able to kidnap a child; stage their deaths; sneak across a border; steal identity and be given only a short conditional sentence!
As a parent I am offended by this.

ETA: sorry for the late response to her sentencing. Somehow I missed it at the time.

There is absolutely no way that one parent should be able to kidnap a child; stage their deaths; sneak across a border; steal identity and be given only a short conditional sentence!
As a parent I am offended by this.

ETA: sorry for the late response to her sentencing. Somehow I missed it at the time.
JMO, yes it is outrageous to adults. Howver, just personally, I think the system takes a mild approach in order to not further traumatize the child... If no one has been harmed, and the child feels very bonded to the parent...then adults are harming the child for the sake of some theoretical ideas about punishing a person who, in the adult viewpoint, stole a piece of property that didn't belong to them.

A child cannot understand that it is 'justice' to lock their Mom up for years, so they can't see her except by the awful experience of going to visit her in prison.

JMO

JMO, yes it is outrageous to adults. Howver, just personally, I think the system takes a mild approach in order to not further traumatize the child... If no one has been harmed, and the child feels very bonded to the parent...then adults are harming the child for the sake of some theoretical ideas about punishing a person who, in the adult viewpoint, stole a piece of property that didn't belong to them.

A child cannot understand that it is 'justice' to lock their Mom up for years, so they can't see her except by the awful experience of going to visit her in prison.

JMO
Sorry. I can't agree with that. So people should be able to get away with crimes since it would traumatize their kids if they went to jail? Dawn knew what she was doing was illegal. She knew what the consequences were if she got caught. Yet she was willing to take that risk, including the risk of going to jail.

She staged their deaths! How do you think the father of the child felt thinking that his child had died? She took their child to another country. She was willing to deprive her child of their father. But now we should just look the other way and say that her child should not be without their mother?

We cannot condone child kidnapping.
All my opinion, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fil