CANADA Canada - Deborah Silverman, 21, Toronto, bound & shot,12 August 1978

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe..
Other murders have also been mentioned in relation to Cheryl Hanson @ thread..
CANADA - Canada - Cheryl Hanson, 7, Aurora, Ont, 31 May 1974

I think Prince is different in that the murderer didn't really try to hide her body. Her clothes were left beside the river. If the intention was to hide her they would have made sure her body and clothes were in the river.

As for the Hanson disappearance, there was an older man and a younger man trying to abduct young women in Richmond Hill at the time. They tried at least twice and the older man (if it was actually the same person) did manage to abduct a pre-teen girl but released her unharmed (July 20, 1972 - article included).

The split article is from August 8, 1973.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.42.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.42.32 AM.png
    455.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.49.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.49.37 AM.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.49.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 10.49.55 AM.png
    195 KB · Views: 12
Oh sorry, I thought Debbie Silverman was within walking distance. Maybe I'm thinking of the young boy that was found there around the same time and within the same area. I believe his name was Robert James Brown, went missing Aug 3, 1968. On another site I was on they made a map and the three locations of: Debbie, Christine, and Robert are so close to each other they almost make a perfect square.
Ill try to make a map later.

I'm getting old, the brain isn't as sharp lol

Last edited:
Oh sorry, I thought Debbie Silverman was within walking distance. Maybe I'm thinking of the young boy that was found there around the same time and within the same area. I believe his name was Robert James Brown, went missing Aug 3, 1968. On another site I was on they made a map and the three locations of: Debbie, Christine, and Robert are so close to each other they almost make a perfect square.
Ill try to make a map later.

I'm getting old, the brain isn't as sharp lol

Ah yes, Robert Brown, vanished after leaving his mother, Shirley Brown at the Nazrene Camp near Wilfrid, Ontario way back in August, 1968. Robbie told his mom he would walk back to their home and deliver the papers, and then he'd hang out at the house. Robbie vanished. Years later, it was revealed that his little brother had seen him walking along Hwy 48, just before the curve in the road at Pefferlaw. How awful for this family! To my knowledge though, Robbie remains listed as missing, and he has not yet been found. Here are some links for those who want to learn more about this particular case:
Family still wonders what happened to son

The Doe Network: Case File 2259DMON

Debbie Silverman was transported away from where she was last seen, shot and found near bee hives in 1978.

On September 1, 1983 a Toronto sex trade worker named Claire Samson, 23, was last seen getting into a large, beige-coloured car in front of the Essex Hotel on Jarvis St. in Toronto near Allen Gardens. The following day the woman's body was found in a wooded area near Oro Sideroad 20/21, off Highway 93 near Barrie. She too was transported away from where she was last seen, shot and found near bee hives.

The last sighting of Cindy Halliday was of her trying to thumb a ride in front of the Hasty Market on Hwy 27 in Midhurst between 5:30 and 6:30 p.m. on the April 20, 1992. Four witnesses who later came forward said they saw her get into a light-coloured older model Chrysler LeBaron or Dodge Diplomat driven by a single male. An autopsy revealed Halliday had been stabbed, but, due to decomposition, it could not be determined if she had been sexually assaulted. A man walking his dog found her skull on Sunday, June 21st in a forest off Horseshoe Valley Rd. about 2 km east of Hwy 27. The rest of her remains were found by police 500 metres to the east of where her skull was located.

The locations of where Cindy Halliday and Claire Samson were found were just a few kilometers apart and about a concession off Hwy. 400.

Similarities between Halliday’s murder and that of university student Lynda Shaw two years earlier near Woodstock led police to believe the two might have been committed by the same person.

A cursory look at things could bring the 1985 murder of sex trade worker, Benita Tarantino, 17, who was last seen on September 28, 1985 getting into a vehicle near Allen Gardens and being driven away. Her nude body was found a month later on October 26, 1985 in a wooded area on the north side of Teston Rd. between Pine Valley Rd. and Weston Rd. in Vaughan off Hwy. 400.

On December 17, 1984, Susan Siegel also was a sex trade worker found nude and strangled in the Stockyards in west Toronto. Reports indicate a small truck and a man in his late 20’s or early 30’s might be involved.

Throw in a 38 year old guy from Parry Sound, the owner of a landscape company, who was arrested in 1998 for sexually assaulting and attempting to strangle a 24 year old sex trade worker that he picked up near Allen Gardens with a few more geographical and other similarities.

Just a general post of information.

I was wondering if it could've been someone hanging around outside the building, just watching and waiting for a woman to enter or exit alone, and then DS just happened to be alone, and that was that?

Perhaps he / they parked in the parking lot and just watched then followed her inside?

The necklace and the hair attached to it that was found later, made me think that perhaps the necklace came off in a struggle? Someone grabbed from behind and she clawed at them to try to get a breath, and the necklace broke off in the process?

I am Valerie Stevens daughter. I believe someone involved was a worm picker in Brantford ON and he lived in Toronto and hung around Carlton and Sherbourne area. He had numerous run in with cops - charged for making or distributing *advertiser censored*. I don’t know his name - Also, Alan Craig Mcdonald killed Lynda Shaw and he is a suspect in my moms case as well - he died back in 1995. Also seems that Valeries friends Lynn Martin and Cathy Bullock (Also Cathys bf at that time Nick) may have set my mom up.

she arrived alive in Brantford from what we know -

Found this on Facebook, about the Silverman's murder case. More detailed information. Is this your page @Snively? https://www.facebook.com/nicollinve...1-was-discovered-in-a-shall/2339397486279961/

Debbie Silverman Murder

The body of Debbie Silverman, 21, was discovered in a shallow grave near the Village of Sunderland off Highway 12 . She was found exactly three months to the day after she had been abducted from her apartment building hallway in Toronto, Aug. 12, 1978. Her murder is a quarter of a century old, but it's a case the Ontario Provincial Police has never closed. Investigators continue to follow up any information that comes forward.

Debbie Silverman was beautiful, outgoing, vivacious, and eager to grab onto everything life had to offer. She had a good job, lots of friends, and a nearly new maroon Cordoba. She'd gone into debt to buy the car, but felt it was worth every penny. Life was good. Debbie looked forward to a future that was full of promise and hope. And then she was gone.

Debbie Silverman lived with her mother at 4854 Bathurst St. in Toronto. On the evening of Friday, Aug. 11, 1978, Debbie went on a double date in downtown Toronto with friends from work, returning to one of the friend's homes at approximately 2 a.m. Between 4 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 12, she left that residence alone and headed home in her car, arriving at her apartment building, police believe, at approximately 5 a.m. She parked her vehicle in the apartment lot and entered the building through a side entrance that opened into a narrow hallway leading to the main lobby. Her purse, lace trimmed panties and a broken gold necklace were found inside the back door.

Toronto Police conducted an extensive investigation into her abduction. Buildings were searched, neighbours canvassed, and reservoirs dredged. Every tip was considered vital, and followed up.

On Sunday Novermber 12th, 1978 her body was found in a lot on a farm at an intersection of Highway 7 at Durham Regional Road 13 in the Brock Township about 42 miles east of York (see photos a few posts previous to this). Her hands were tied behind her back with the sleeves of her blue and white shirt and her black halter top was around her neck. Her brassiere was still on but she had no shoes or underwear on.

When her body was discovered north of Toronto, the investigation into the abduction of Debbie Silverman quickly turned into a hunt for her killer. Because her body was found in the jurisdiction of the Ontario Provincial Police, the OPP took the lead with the assistance of neighbouring police forces. Efforts were re-doubled, but to this day her death remains a mystery. The OPP, like her family, has no intention of forgetting Debbie, or of resting until the person or persons who ended her life are brought to justice. Modern technology and new leads hold the promise that that may yet happen.

Debbie Silverman had attended Grade 10 at the Hebrew School on Bathurst Street but had switched to Northview Secondary School for Grade 11.

After taking a year off to work at the Papaya Hut on Yonge Street in downtown Toronto, she returned to Northview Secondary School and graduated with her Grade 12 diploma in 1977.

She worked for a short period of time at Travelways Bus Company, Fran's Restaurant on Yonge Street, and at the Zum Rhein Restaurant at Ontario Place. At the time of her death, she was employed at Thorncrest Ford at 4865 Dundas St., West in Islington.

I still wonder about this "strange" John guy...could he have been in the dancing place too, saw them leave together and decided to wait for her until she came back home? Or was it a wrong time, wrong place situation and she was abducted by one or more people unknown to her. Also if you had the initial intention to abduct someone, why bother to rip off her panties there and then. Maybe his/their first thought was to rape her in the hallway, but she threatened to scream or report them/him to the police (1 point for him/them being known to her) and he/they decided to take her somewhere else and finally killing her so she wouldn't file a report. Sorry, for being graphic.

What is Canada's policy on carrying guns? There was a gun involved. She was shot. Was it a usual item to have with you in those day's?

Last edited:
Found this on Facebook, about the Silverman's murder case. More detailed information. Is this your page @Snively? Log In or Sign Up to View

Debbie Silverman Murder

The body of Debbie Silverman, 21, was discovered in a shallow grave near the Village of Sunderland off Highway 12 . She was found exactly three months to the day after she had been abducted from her apartment building hallway in Toronto, Aug. 12, 1978. Her murder is a quarter of a century old, but it's a case the Ontario Provincial Police has never closed. Investigators continue to follow up any information that comes forward.

Debbie Silverman was beautiful, outgoing, vivacious, and eager to grab onto everything life had to offer. She had a good job, lots of friends, and a nearly new maroon Cordoba. She'd gone into debt to buy the car, but felt it was worth every penny. Life was good. Debbie looked forward to a future that was full of promise and hope. And then she was gone.

Debbie Silverman lived with her mother at 4854 Bathurst St. in Toronto. On the evening of Friday, Aug. 11, 1978, Debbie went on a double date in downtown Toronto with friends from work, returning to one of the friend's homes at approximately 2 a.m. Between 4 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 12, she left that residence alone and headed home in her car, arriving at her apartment building, police believe, at approximately 5 a.m. She parked her vehicle in the apartment lot and entered the building through a side entrance that opened into a narrow hallway leading to the main lobby. Her purse, lace trimmed panties and a broken gold necklace were found inside the back door.

Toronto Police conducted an extensive investigation into her abduction. Buildings were searched, neighbours canvassed, and reservoirs dredged. Every tip was considered vital, and followed up.

On Sunday Novermber 12th, 1978 her body was found in a lot on a farm at an intersection of Highway 7 at Durham Regional Road 13 in the Brock Township about 42 miles east of York (see photos a few posts previous to this). Her hands were tied behind her back with the sleeves of her blue and white shirt and her black halter top was around her neck. Her brassiere was still on but she had no shoes or underwear on.

When her body was discovered north of Toronto, the investigation into the abduction of Debbie Silverman quickly turned into a hunt for her killer. Because her body was found in the jurisdiction of the Ontario Provincial Police, the OPP took the lead with the assistance of neighbouring police forces. Efforts were re-doubled, but to this day her death remains a mystery. The OPP, like her family, has no intention of forgetting Debbie, or of resting until the person or persons who ended her life are brought to justice. Modern technology and new leads hold the promise that that may yet happen.

Debbie Silverman had attended Grade 10 at the Hebrew School on Bathurst Street but had switched to Northview Secondary School for Grade 11.

After taking a year off to work at the Papaya Hut on Yonge Street in downtown Toronto, she returned to Northview Secondary School and graduated with her Grade 12 diploma in 1977.

She worked for a short period of time at Travelways Bus Company, Fran's Restaurant on Yonge Street, and at the Zum Rhein Restaurant at Ontario Place. At the time of her death, she was employed at Thorncrest Ford at 4865 Dundas St., West in Islington.

I still wonder about this "strange" John guy...could he have been in the dancing place too, saw them leave together and decided to wait for her until she came back home? Or was it a wrong time, wrong place situation and she was abducted by one or more people unknown to her. Also if you had the initial intention to abduct someone, why bother to rip off her panties there and then. Maybe his/their first thought was to rape her in the hallway, but she threatened to scream or report them/him to the police (1 point for him/them being known to her) and he/they decided to take her somewhere else and finally killing her so she wouldn't file a report. Sorry, for being graphic.

What is Canada's policy on carrying guns? There was a gun involved. She was shot. Was it a usual item to have with you in those day's?

Yes, that is from my page.

As for the guns, handguns were restricted back then as well. Rifles not as much. It's quite possible she was shot with a rifle or even a shotgun. The police never said the calbire. But it's also quite easy to get a gun on the streets these days and back then was no different.

Last edited:
I do get the impression her panties found in the hallway were a result of her having sex prior to getting home. Likely with someone in the house she just left. I don't see that person following her home. It's possible someone did see her leave the house and followed her and confronted her there. The other possibility is someone living in the building or living nearby saw her come home.

I do get the impression her panties found in the hallway were a result of her having sex prior to getting home. Likely with someone in the house she just left. I don't see that person following her home. It's possible someone did see her leave the house and followed her and confronted her there. The other possibility is someone living in the building or living nearby saw her come home.

The panties in the hallway; If she would have taken her panties off because of having sex prior then at least she would have put it in a pocket or her purse. I just don't see a woman walking around with panties in her hand. Did LE checked the panties for body fluids from somebody other then hers as far as you know?

Notes on Debbie Silverman case (with files from Toronto Star (September 17, 1978)
Respectfully snipped
Probably, someone grabbed her from behind. Pieces of her gold chain necklace with a star of David on it and pieces of her hair clinging to it were found later, lying outside on the pavement.
• Inside the long narrow side hallway, her purse, containing credit cards, wallet, make-up, keys, were found lying on the worn orange and brown print carpet. So were her lace-trimmed panties.
• Unbelievably, tragically though, the police knew none of this until 15 hours after it occurred. Within an hour after Debbie was probably attacked and abducted, a tenant saw her things lying on the floor.
• Instead of reporting it, he took everything into his apartment, looked through it, stole the gold jewelry, and then left the purse, with the underwear neatly folded inside it, outside the Silverman’s apartment door. Police didn’t track him down until a door-to-door search led them to his apartment at 9 p.m.

All together a strange story.

- Approx. 5 a.m. Saturday morning. Debbie arrived at the building. She is attacked and the gold chain necklace breaks into pieces.
- Between 5 a.m and 6 a.m (withing an hour) a tenant finds her things lying on the floor. I guess he was coming home and not leaving? So it has to be him where the information is coming from what was found and in what way.
- Get's them from the floor and takes them with him to his apartment
- Time?, Saturday? Lays the purse with the underwear neatly folded inside it, outside the Silverman’s apartment door, without pieces of the necklace, including the star of David. (stole the gold jewelry) Other pieces of the necklace were found outside on the pavement. Why should we believe the tenant who is acting very weird. He obviously found out, going through her purse that it belonged to Debbie, the moment he took it with him. Why not alarming the mother immediately? Didn't he think the situation was worrisome? Did he want to wait until later, when he thought people were waking up......and then not ringing the bell, but lying the stuff there. Maybe he did ring the bell and run so that the mother wouldn't see him? The panties are still bothering me. His behavior also.
- Debbie's mother must have wondered in the mean time, why her daughter isn't there, probably going outside to look if her car is there? Sees the car and reports her daughter missing? When was the purse for her door found?

- 9 p.m (21:00 h., approx. 15 hours later) police finds the tenant, doing a door-to-door search, finds out when and where Debbie's stuff was found.

Last edited:
If she had left her panties off post coitus at some other location and gone home commando, wouldn’t she have tucked them into a pocket or her purse? We know a resident took her belongings from where they were originally found and took some things before putting them in the hallway. Could he have found the panties in the purse? We don’t know where exactly they were found aside at the apt and not with her. I wonder if police know? Maybe they looked at transfer evidence to see if panties were in the purse or a pocket at all? I’d also like to ask, whatever she wore that day - was the rest of it found? Pants? Skirt? If so, where? Also where were her shoes found?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tankaroo
Back