CANADA Canada - Emma Fillipoff, 26, Victoria BC, 28 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
with the prepaid card, the company would know when and where it was purchased and hopefully there would be video CCTV of the that transaction -- would be useful to LE or anyone trying to find her as a ''starting point'' MOO

Yes, there is video of her purchasing the card in the morning at the 7-Eleven, and then returning later on and buying the cellphone. She is behaving unusually (anxious, as though on alert for someone/paranoid).

It was something like this, right?

So she got in the cab and realizes how much it costed, though she (should have) a $200 credit card. Unless she dropped the card off in the opposite direction to where she was going to throw people off, prior to getting in the cab? If she were struggling with paranoia, I don't find it unrealistic that she would do this...and it could be that she did this prior to buying the cell phone, which she dropped somewhere else.

She gets in the cab, but then panics because there may be an eyewitness to where she's going, and she may be wanting to save cash. So she heads back, and to save money and avoid eyewitnesses, she takes public transit instead? Is it possible that she was not wanting to go to the airport, but further in that direction, to the Swartz Bay Terminal, which is where a ferry departs for Vancouver? She was last seen in front of the Empress Hotel, where she spoke to LE, and where there is also a stop on Route 70, the most direct line to Swartz Bay.

"Victoria’s cash fare is $2.50, exact coins. You can also buy a sheet of 10 tickets for $22.50. Or a one-month pass. More details at B.C. Transit's website.

Catch Route 70, the express to Swartz Bay terminal. It runs along Douglas Street, where there are several stops; then along the Patricia Bay Highway, where there aren’t many stops. It takes about 50 to 55 minutes from downtown.

There’s also Route 72, which has a lot of stops, and wanders all over the place. It takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes from downtown. Those extra 20 minutes feel like an eternity.

Get off at Swartz Bay terminal and buy your ferry ticket from one of the ticket machines or from the ticket seller."

I know that a lot of this seems to be a stretch, but her state of mind was leading her to behave in a way that many people would find erratic, though to her it made sense. If she were convinced that someone was following her (for reasons of her own), these may be steps she would have taken.

View attachment 70846

Interesting theory and very possible if Emma wanted to vanish. However, it's my opinion that the unanswered questions about truly ruling out suspects, the discovery of the unused credit card, and the fact that this girl has not contacted her family leads me to believe foul play is involved. Although I hope I'm wrong.

c

thanks for the link - very well done - always bothered me why she didn't take the coach from downtown directly to the ferry cheaper than a cab and faster than the transit bus.....and bus terminal is not far from empress where she was last spotted

The only reason I can think of, is for privacy and speed maybe? Maybe crowds scared her a bit and a big, long bus ride might've given her some anxiety. The bus ride to the ferry/airport area is about a good hour long with quite a few stops. The cab would be faster and more private for her.

It was something like this, right?

So she got in the cab and realizes how much it costed, though she (should have) a $200 credit card. Unless she dropped the card off in the opposite direction to where she was going to throw people off, prior to getting in the cab? If she were struggling with paranoia, I don't find it unrealistic that she would do this...and it could be that she did this prior to buying the cell phone, which she dropped somewhere else.

She gets in the cab, but then panics because there may be an eyewitness to where she's going, and she may be wanting to save cash. So she heads back, and to save money and avoid eyewitnesses, she takes public transit instead? Is it possible that she was not wanting to go to the airport, but further in that direction, to the Swartz Bay Terminal, which is where a ferry departs for Vancouver? She was last seen in front of the Empress Hotel, where she spoke to LE, and where there is also a stop on Route 70, the most direct line to Swartz Bay.

"Victoria’s cash fare is $2.50, exact coins. You can also buy a sheet of 10 tickets for $22.50. Or a one-month pass. More details at B.C. Transit's website.

Catch Route 70, the express to Swartz Bay terminal. It runs along Douglas Street, where there are several stops; then along the Patricia Bay Highway, where there aren’t many stops. It takes about 50 to 55 minutes from downtown.

There’s also Route 72, which has a lot of stops, and wanders all over the place. It takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes from downtown. Those extra 20 minutes feel like an eternity.

Get off at Swartz Bay terminal and buy your ferry ticket from one of the ticket machines or from the ticket seller."

I know that a lot of this seems to be a stretch, but her state of mind was leading her to behave in a way that many people would find erratic, though to her it made sense. If she were convinced that someone was following her (for reasons of her own), these may be steps she would have taken.

View attachment 70846

Sorry, I just realized I posted and repeated what you said in your post! I also agree and commented on the bus ride being long with many stops. If she was anxious or suffered from any anxiety this would not be ideal transport.

The only reason I can think of, is for privacy and speed maybe? Maybe crowds scared her a bit and a big, long bus ride might've given her some anxiety. The bus ride to the ferry/airport area is about a good hour long with quite a few stops. The cab would be faster and more private for her.

the coach is direct to the ferry -- no stops -- not to be confused with ''city bus''

big comfy seats and privacy....LE has made no mention of whether or not CCTV of Pacific Coach Lines was ever scanned to see if she left the island that way.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Bus-Coach-Travel/Crosswater/Victoria-to-Vancouver

the bonus is that from that connection she could also get to YVR.....if she truly wanted to catch a plane

from that connection she could also get to the train station -- coach goes there too

Interesting theory and very possible if Emma wanted to vanish. However, it's my opinion that the unanswered questions about truly ruling out suspects, the discovery of the unused credit card, and the fact that this girl has not contacted her family leads me to believe foul play is involved. Although I hope I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, even if she did take that bus and /or she wanted to vanish, it doesn't rule out foul play afterwards :(

Sorry, I just realized I posted and repeated what you said in your post! I also agree and commented on the bus ride being long with many stops. If she was anxious or suffered from any anxiety this would not be ideal transport.

Depends on the form of anxiety. People with social phobia, unlike those with agoraphobia, may tolerate an anonymous crowd, but feel intimidated by small groups. There is discussion of people stating that they'd never seen her eat, which is one symptom of an eating disorder, but is ALSO a symptom of social phobia. Unfortunately, mental disorders are rarely singular---a person may experience more than one at a time, and every day is different.

the coach is direct to the ferry -- no stops -- not to be confused with ''city bus''

big comfy seats and privacy....LE has made no mention of whether or not CCTV of Pacific Coach Lines was ever scanned to see if she left the island that way.

the bonus is that from that connection she could also get to YVR.....if she truly wanted to catch a plane

from that connection she could also get to the train station -- coach goes there too

I don't think that Route 70 is a coach bus, it is a city bus. However, if she had social anxiety, she may have preferred this. Many cabs (not sure about Victoria though) have clear warnings of cameras (even if they're not actually there)---something she may not have noticed or thought of until she got into the cab.

It's also possible that she just didn't realize how much it would cost and saw a bus on the way that reminded her she could take public transit (only suggesting this because I actually did this once---got out of a cab when I realized that I should be taking public transit to save money).

I don't think that Route 70 is a coach bus, it is a city bus. However, if she had social anxiety, she may have preferred this. Also, many cabs have clear warnings of cameras---something she may not have noticed or though of until she got into the cab. It's also possible that she just didn't realize how much it would cost and saw a bus on the way that reminded her she could take public transit (only suggesting this because I actually did this once---got out of a cab when I realized that I should be taking public transit to save money).

you are correct 70 is a city bus but there is a nice cushy coach available ((Pacific Coach Lines)) near the Empress where she was last positively sighted. They go directly to BC Ferries and board the ferry. The cost is less than $15 IIRC....and if she wanted she could pay straight through to YVR and or train station downtown Vancouver.

This could have provided her with low cost plus safety and discretion.....MOO

yes in the city I have realized that public transit was cheaper and sometimes even more expedient than cabs

For what it's worth, there's a floatplane airport right in the inner harbour that is a 5 minute walk away.

I don't think that Route 70 is a coach bus, it is a city bus. However, if she had social anxiety, she may have preferred this. Many cabs (not sure about Victoria though) have clear warnings of cameras (even if they're not actually there)---something she may not have noticed or thought of until she got into the cab.

It's also possible that she just didn't realize how much it would cost and saw a bus on the way that reminded her she could take public transit (only suggesting this because I actually did this once---got out of a cab when I realized that I should be taking public transit to save money).

Route 70 is a city bus, and is the main bus to get to/from as far as the Swartz Bay ferry terminal

I see what you're saying, but the coach is still a long ride I've taken both the city and coach from the ferry to downtown Victoria. Even a short bus ride can be torture if someone has anxiety about 'public' transportation, even though it's semi-private and comfy, you're still surrounded by the eyes of all the people on the bus.

The airport is still out of the way a bit from the ferry. I wonder if she would've gotten out to try to walk to the airport from the highway?

Hhmmm trains? We don't have any running trains on the island (there used to be one that went up island, but they stopped it) that I'm aware of. There is the skytrain in the greater Vancouver area if she went to the mainland.

I see what you're saying, but the coach is still a long ride I've taken both the city and coach from the ferry to downtown Victoria. Even a short bus ride can be torture if someone has anxiety about 'public' transportation, even though it's semi-private and comfy, you're still surrounded by the eyes of all the people on the bus.

The airport is still out of the way a bit from the ferry. I wonder if she would've gotten out to try to walk to the airport from the highway?

Hhmmm trains? We don't have any running trains on the island (there used to be one that went up island, but they stopped it) that I'm aware of. There is the skytrain in the greater Vancouver area if she went to the mainland.

privacy--high seats and it is same time as driving by cab/private car to the ferry

train -- Via Rail station is in Vancouver -- Pacific Coach ((extra fare of course)) delivers right to the train station door

airport -- was referring to YVR (Vancouver)......Pacific Coach (again extra fare but waaaay cheaper than cab)) delivers right into the airport

Yes, but social anxiety is not associated with the public as much as it is social interaction---depending on the person, they may prefer the anonymity of public transportation over other less crowded options.

I don't think she would have flown anywhere (not internationally for sure as she didn't have her passport) and if it were domestic, she would have more than likely been caught on camera somewhere---they're everywhere in airports. Train, maybe...though I'm still leaning towards the very cheap public transit option, where she could have easily blended in and disappeared.

privacy--high seats and it is same time as driving by cab/private car to the ferry

train -- Via Rail station is in Vancouver -- Pacific Coach ((extra fare of course)) delivers right to the train station door

airport -- was referring to YVR (Vancouver)......Pacific Coach (again extra fare but waaaay cheaper than cab)) delivers right into the airport

Ah, I see, sorry didn't clue in you were referencing Vancouver transportation! :) Yes, I wonder if she made it all the way to Vancouver....I could also see her wanting to walk to the Victoria airport if she was half way there.

I have to refresh myself on the case and where the credit card was found, as I thought it was on a path that might be in between downtown Victoria and the airport, will have to catch up on the details.

credit card was found in Langford (($100 plus cab fare from there to the airport)) ..... Langford is west of Victoria....

Yes, but social anxiety is not associated with the public as much as it is social interaction---depending on the person, they may prefer the anonymity of public transportation over other less crowded options.

I don't think she would have flown anywhere (not internationally for sure as she didn't have her passport) and if it were domestic, she would have more than likely been caught on camera somewhere---they're everywhere in airports. Train, maybe...though I'm still leaning towards the very cheap public transit option, where she could have easily blended in and disappeared.

Totally depending on the person for sure and I am only speaking from my experience. In my early 20s I had terrible anxiety attacks for a few years and I could not set foot on any type of public transportation or travel on any mode of transportation really without a full blown snowball effect of a panic attack. It was awful stuff to go through.

So no buses of any kind, no rapid transport, no boats/ferries, no long drives in my own vehicle or friend's vehicles, definitely no airplanes - or any type of vessel where I was not in control or able to freely get off at any time. Of course, I did still go on all of these things (have to still live right?), but did I suffer for it, major anxiety attacks, so strange and bizarre now that I look back on it... And I still have no idea why it happened either lol! I guess I relate my experience to think maybe this happened to Emma....

I agree with you, I don't think she would have flown anywhere. I think she *planned* on flying back east to get to her mom, but perhaps panicked before she could, if she panicked enough it could have added to her distress and a breakdown.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back