Found Deceased Canada - Eugene Kim, 38, Markham, Ont, 2 Oct 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought the same thing. You would think someone would have seen the SUV down there just by looking over.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130848&d=1519970266

If you look at this photo, the car is being loaded onto the back of the flatbed towtruck; it is not tarped at this point. I believe the police tarped it for transport as is usually the case.

As for not finding the vehicle earlier, I am not surprised. I'm in the Canadian Army and travelled from Base Borden every Friday night to Base Petawawa and back again every Sunday evening for a year through Algonquin Park.

Huge swathes of Algonquin are not deciduous trees and therefore the leaves are not falling, huge swathes of the park where cellphones don't work. And, in the winter, the park gets a tonne of snow. It would take me approx. 50-60 minutes to drive from West gate to east Gate (and vice versa) in summer/spring but me and my jeep in 4 wheel drive would often take upwards of 3.5 to 4 hours in the winter depending on how many hours since a plow had been through. Travel between those two gates is on the "main" road and many of the side roads into the camp sites are not plowed out (or plowed out all the way into the interior) in winter nor used by snowshoers or cross country skiiers. Rocking in the summer and spring months, Algonquin is very desolate in the winter.

I once towed an old lady and her small little Kia out of a ditch about 15 kms inside the East Gate during a severe snowstorm, made sure she was OK and followed her back to her home in Whitney to make sure she was OK. I've no idea what she was thinking trying to attempt that park, in that car during that storm.

I've done the 3+ hour winter drive through there many times and not seen another vehicle or a plow on the road. The husband and I had a system whereby I'd either call him from the Hunstville Timmies (about 15 minutes from the West gate) or Whitney (maybe 5 minutes from the East gate) before entering the park in winter and then would call again once I reached the town at the other end. The agreement was that if 4 hours had passed without the "I'm through the park" call from me, then he would make contact with the OPP.

I'm in Victoria BC this week on business, but will find some pics that I have of the park taken during some of my trips through in the winter when I get home. There are some doozies of the road.

Thanks for the cool, interesting perspective, Vern. I've spent quite a bit of time in Northern Ontario. It is beautiful, but environmental conditions can be nuts.

I had read that Eugene had bought an Algonquin park permit but his car was found outside the park. Can someone who knows the area please confirm this? Also, how far is the spot where the car was found, from Voyageurs Quest Outfitting?

If he was making decisions without coersion or duress, the permit could have been purchased because (1) he planned to go to the park but changed his mind (I think someone said he was headed to North Tea Lake...not sure where this info came from) OR (2) he wanted everyone to continue looking in the park OR (3) he went to the park and then came out.

Thanks for the cool, interesting perspective, Vern. I've spent quite a bit of time in Northern Ontario. It is beautiful, but environmental conditions can be nuts.

I'm originally a Miramichi, New Brunswick girl and hubby is a New Liskeard, Northern Ontario boy so needless to say we are both Jeep drivers and very used to travelling during storms and the winter months in awful conditions. As we're both military and have spent numerous years where we were not posted at the same base at the same time, travelling home for weekends was standard operating procedure and so are the Jeeps - preferred for exactly those winter driving conditions. Only postings we've had where this didn't happen was while I served in Edmonton, Alberta for two years and he served in Ottawa -- not too easy to pull off in a weekend drive!

Algonquin Park has always been the hincky trip for me in the winter due to the huge snowfall, lack of plowed roads (or infrequently plowed main roads) and no cellular service. Breathtakingly beautiful in all seasons, but so glad when those winter weekend drives were done (after Borden I was posted Kingston and so got to contend with rural Hwy 15 then - at least there was cell service!).

Or he actually put the name of the person he was with on the parking pass (not sure varying information) so that if anything happened to him they would know who did it and where to look.

When Eugene told him wife he would be home in an hour and he was 3 1/2 hours away, he may have been hoping that someone would also find that usual when he didn't arrive home in an hour and start looking for him. He may have felt he was in danger but could not indicate that on his cell phone in case the person saw it.

Interesting times in my area. We had a triple murder/suicide in Burks Falls (just north of Huntsville, population 650) and just further north now they discover Eugene's car. These types of things rarely happen around here. We are small town simple country folk, most of us (minus the Toronto tourists/cottagers).

For reference, the west gate to Algonquin is approximately 100 kms south of South River.

I thought the same thing when reading the news from the Almaguin area. So much recent violence/activity in the wilderness which is usually where we go to vacation.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=130848&d=1519970266

If you look at this photo, the car is being loaded onto the back of the flatbed towtruck; it is not tarped at this point. I believe the police tarped it for transport as is usually the case.

As for not finding the vehicle earlier, I am not surprised. I'm in the Canadian Army and travelled from Base Borden every Friday night to Base Petawawa and back again every Sunday evening for a year through Algonquin Park.

Huge swathes of Algonquin are not deciduous trees and therefore the leaves are not falling, huge swathes of the park where cellphones don't work. And, in the winter, the park gets a tonne of snow. It would take me approx. 50-60 minutes to drive from West gate to east Gate (and vice versa) in summer/spring but me and my jeep in 4 wheel drive would often take upwards of 3.5 to 4 hours in the winter depending on how many hours since a plow had been through. Travel between those two gates is on the "main" road and many of the side roads into the camp sites are not plowed out (or plowed out all the way into the interior) in winter nor used by snowshoers or cross country skiiers. Rocking in the summer and spring months, Algonquin is very desolate in the winter.

I once towed an old lady and her small little Kia out of a ditch about 15 kms inside the East Gate during a severe snowstorm, made sure she was OK and followed her back to her home in Whitney to make sure she was OK. I've no idea what she was thinking trying to attempt that park, in that car during that storm.

I've done the 3+ hour winter drive through there many times and not seen another vehicle or a plow on the road. The husband and I had a system whereby I'd either call him from the Hunstville Timmies (about 15 minutes from the West gate) or Whitney (maybe 5 minutes from the East gate) before entering the park in winter and then would call again once I reached the town at the other end. The agreement was that if 4 hours had passed without the "I'm through the park" call from me, then he would make contact with the OPP.

I'm in Victoria BC this week on business, but will find some pics that I have of the park taken during some of my trips through in the winter when I get home. There are some doozies of the road.
excellent post... thanks for giving us a sense of the environs!! :heart:

I would imagine they could identify him fairly quickly with dental records. It is probably the cause of death that takes longer to establish.

IMO this is good there is resolution for the family and those who knew and loved EK.

No other media outlets have reported the autopsy results, so the nugget which is not a major newspaper reporting this is questionable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Houndgirl2003
Back