Found Deceased Canada - Eugene Kim, 38, Markham, Ont, 2 Oct 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I admittedly (and thankfully) don't know a lot about suicide.. but I had always been under the impression that it was more of a spur of the moment thing.. I mean, I know people think about it ahead, maybe fantasize about different ways(?), and perhaps disclose that they're having those kinds of thoughts, but I thought the actual event was usually more sudden.

It is tragic to think, if this was suicide, that he was that bent on ending his life, that he would take all of the steps he took in advance.. concocting the story, calling in sick, driving hours away, finding a deserted spot, communicating lies to his wife so that she wouldn't worry too soon, etc. And through all of the time it took to do all of that - no change of heart.. and all of this planning without anyone even wondering if he might be depressed. Does that sound like a 'usual' suicide? Maybe I need an education on suicide, but wow, how disturbing to think he was that distressed to mindfully go through all of that for so many hours. If it is deemed to be a suicide, and he did all that planning, I hope there is some kind of a note to those who loved him.

Nothing has been mentioned about police calling for their forensics team before the vehicle was moved, so somehow, are they immediately getting that this was self inflicted and not suspicious? And if so, how do they come to such a quick conclusion without investigating more closely?
jmo

LE does not think the death is from suspicious circumstances, and so we are concluding suicide? :(

First of all - it has not been confirmed that these are his remains, (although if you want to be realistic, it *could* be him), but forensically, we have no proof. It sounds like some are speaking as if it is??? Is there something I've missed?
TBD.. that's why I prefaced my comments "If it is Kim in the car ..."

The question I have is I wonder how many times other people walked by that SUV and though nothing of it. In fact, I wonder what made the hikers look inside the car and find a body. Unless they could see the skeleton from the window. Now that would have been horrifying.

The question I have is I wonder how many times other people walked by that SUV and though nothing of it. In fact, I wonder what made the hikers look inside the car and find a body. Unless they could see the skeleton from the window. Now that would have been horrifying.

Ontario Provincial Police say “a couple of hikers” found the abandoned vehicle just before 3:30 p.m. on Thursday in Laurier Township, about three kilometres north east of South River.

The vehicle was found in a wooded area on a private property, down a trail leading into the woods. https://www.cp24.com/news/missing-m...e-located-with-human-remains-inside-1.3825873

This pin is I think approx 3 km NE of South River. 20180302_182046.jpg

Just not likely to be many hikers in the area, especially not in the winter. I wonder if the couple of hikers were actually the owners, checking out their property after the winter.

I admittedly (and thankfully) don't know a lot about suicide.. but I had always been under the impression that it was more of a spur of the moment thing.. I mean, I know people think about it ahead, maybe fantasize about different ways(?), and perhaps disclose that they're having those kinds of thoughts, but I thought the actual event was usually more sudden.

It is tragic to think, if this was suicide, that he was that bent on ending his life, that he would take all of the steps he took in advance.. concocting the story, calling in sick, driving hours away, finding a deserted spot, communicating lies to his wife so that she wouldn't worry too soon, etc. And through all of the time it took to do all of that - no change of heart.. and all of this planning without anyone even wondering if he might be depressed. Does that sound like a 'usual' suicide? Maybe I need an education on suicide, but wow, how disturbing to think he was that distressed to mindfully go through all of that for so many hours. If it is deemed to be a suicide, and he did all that planning, I hope there is some kind of a note to those who loved him.

Rsbm. I’m sure in many cases suicides are very sudden or impulsive. However, someone very close to me once had a very well thought out and deliberate suicide plan. Thankfully I caught wind of it mere hours before, but it was so thoroughly planned that he had even tested certain ceiling beams to see which ones could hold him. In this case, it was something he considered, planned, and debated for several months before following through. So I wouldn’t rule out suicide just because it doesn’t seem sudden. The brain works in troubling ways when under prolonged distress, and it’s very terrifying to know it can be happening to someone you love right under your nose.

If this is what happened to Eugene, I am so sorry he struggled- whether brief or prolonged. And if he met some other nefarious end, I am still sorry.

Nothing has been mentioned about police calling for their forensics team before the vehicle was moved, so somehow, are they immediately getting that this was self inflicted and not suspicious? And if so, how do they come to such a quick conclusion without investigating more closely?
jmo

Unfortunately, I have had some experience with suicide (my neighbour, and 2 friends). I wish I didn't know so much about it.

In all 3 cases, the act was thought out long in advance, the plan was in place, and it was not a spur of the moment thing.

My one friend, who we just lost in November went to great lengths to ensure that all his affairs were in order, he bought a suit for the funeral, had planned his funeral, and when he put the plan into effect, left the house (so none of his family would find him). He took a bunch of pills and then called police, but not before he knew he was past the point of being saved. He told the police where they could find his body.

I think every case is different. A suicide can be a very spur of the moment thing and then there are those that are very well planned out in advance.

Suicide in every case is so sad. The family is beyond consolation. There is nothing you can do or say to help. It is horrible.

I feel terrible for Eugene's family if he indeed committed suicide.

I think there are 4 likely scenarios but each of them raises questions based on the other facts and isn't a perfect fit.

1. It is Eugene and he committed suicide. The problems with this are: 1. He was seen with another person that day, in that area. Who was that person and what happened to them? 2. If his plan was to commit suicide, it seems odd that he would repeatedly reassure his wife that he would be home soon. 3. It seems odd that he would have commit suicide in his car. 4.Typically speaking, when people commit suicide, they want to be found and so usually don't do so in a remote location like where his car was found. The counter argument to this is I remember reading that Korean culture is very honour focused. so it seems plausible that if it was suicide, he would have done it where his body would be hidden to avoid the dishonour of suicide.

2. It is Eugene and he died accidentally somehow. Perhaps his car went off the road, he hit his head, figured he'd sleep it off and never woke up. Problems with this possibility are: 1. It seems unlikely that a car could go off the road as an accident and neatly park itself at the bottom of a trail while out leaving a noticeable path of damage. and, if there had been such a path, it seems like it would have been mentioned. 2. The pictures of the car that CP24 posted after had been found don't seem to show any noticeable damage. 3.The news said that the car was found tarped. It seemed highly unlikely that the police were the ones who tarped the car because they would have tarped it AFTER it had been found thus making it impossible for it to have been found tarped. It seems highly implausible that he would have had some sort of accident, ended up in that spot, thought 'aha! I will get out and tarp my car and then get back in and wait out this <<whatever injury prevented him from continuing on home>> was well enough to do that and yet still sufficiently injured to get back in the car and die from the injuries.

3.It is Eugene in the car and he was murdered--perhaps by whoever it was he was seen with earlier in the day. The problem with this is how did that person leave Eugene and his car there and exit such a remote location, presumably without a vehicle and late at night? What does make sense about this scenario is Eugene repeatedly telling his wife he would be home soon. If he found himself in a scenario where he felt threatened, it makes perfect sense that he'd say to the person he was with 'c'mon, I gotta go, my wife is waiting for me' in order to point out to that person that his wife was expecting him and would worry and know something was wrong if he wasn't home soon.

4. Its not Eugene. In which case the question becomes: who is this person, what happened and where on earth is Eugene?

I'm very curious about that tarp. From what I've seen, police in Ontario often use a bright orange or blue tarp for covering vehicles or remains, and usually do so when they are being towed away, as in the case of vehicles.

I have been searching, but I could not find an article that mentioned that the vehicle was found with the tarp already on, but I'm sure I did see it somewhere.

The circumstances are very suspicious, IMHO if the car was found in that condition already.

I definitely remember reading that too.

As per links posted earlier, Eugene's car has been found by hikers, on private property, in a wooded area, off a trail. In the picture with the tarp, I noticed that Eugene's car is next to another car. If it had been next to a working vehicle on private property, someone would have noticed it being there and not being moved. Therefore, it would have been reported earlier. I believe the tarped picture is after police has moved the car.

If the police had tarped the car, I'd expect it would look more like this:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/two-men-...unshots-fired-into-car-in-etobicoke-1.3766405

The story of a possible witness sighting, buying a park pass, with or without a woman, was never officially confirmed. His car was last officially recorded on surveillance video in South River, 3 km from where it was just found, according to the Help Us Find EK facebook page.

If the police had tarped the car, I'd expect it would look more like this:
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/two-men-...unshots-fired-into-car-in-etobicoke-1.3766405

I was thinking it was odd NOT to have crimescene tape on the vehicle, *however*, if LE don't believe it to be a 'crime', or even suspicious, then can that explain the lack of crimescene tape? (And I'd love to know why and how LE could possibly make such a determination that quickly, without doing some forensic work on the vehicle itself and the surrounding area before they tampered with it (if it was LE's tarp) and had it moved to a different location. Sometimes things aren't always what they immediately appear to be.) jmo

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Darkblue

I'm very curious about that tarp. From what I've seen, police in Ontario often use a bright orange or blue tarp for covering vehicles or remains, and usually do so when they are being towed away, as in the case of vehicles.

I have been searching, but I could not find an article that mentioned that the vehicle was found with the tarp already on, but I'm sure I did see it somewhere.

The circumstances are very suspicious, IMHO if the car was found in that condition already.
I definitely remember reading that too.
I think the only way to know for sure if the vehicle was found already tarped would be if the hikers gave direct quotes to MSM, which they don't seem to have done. Otherwise, MSM can tend to get things wrong, or misconstrued, etc., and I wouldn't bet on accuracy unless it's a direct quote from someone who knows, or else coming straight from LE to all MSM, but jmo.

I googled to see what I could find as far as police tarps over vehicles at fatal accident scenes in ON, and found blue, yellow, grimy-white, and this green one below, which is from an accident scene on Highway 69 north of Parry Sound. It almost seems like police don't carry standard-issue tarps - perhaps each police service has its own type/color?
attachment.php

https://www.parrysound.com/news-sto...-killed-in-highway-69-crash-near-parry-sound/

Attachments

• sample tarp green re eugene kim.jpg
    sample tarp green re eugene kim.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 183
LE does not think the death is from suspicious circumstances, and so we are concluding suicide? :(

If it's not a road crash, or a suspicious death, and considering all of the info published so far in regard to EK's known actions, communications, pre-planning, and lies told on that fateful day, what are the remaining options?

If it is him - Something to also consider is that in Korean culture, suicide isn't strictly frowned upon. It's cliched, but it's a very east asian thing. If he drove out there, it could be purposefully so he wasn't found and wouldn't be a problem to his family. I'm not saying he thought in an east asian mindset, perhaps he was perfectly westernised, but just thought I'd give my personal experience here. JMO. Either way its sad.

That was a good video - thanks Alice! So glad the car has been found & i&#8217;m presuming Eugene was the person inside. His poor wife....I really feel for her & the kids.

Gee, if he did commit suicide, he really covered all the bases....calling off work, telling his wife he would be home late, driving hours away, texting that he would be home in another hour, etc. if I had been following his disappearance all along I would probably have sworn that he had been the victim of a random crime of some time. Absolutely perplexing.

I know, I feel the same way! It is shocking to me that I didn't even know about his disappearance! The media really dropped the ball. No one could say that his family and friends didn't try! :(

I know, I feel the same way! It is shocking to me that I didn't even know about his disappearance! The media really dropped the ball. No one could say that his family and friends didn't try! :(

One thing I'm having trouble understanding is the whole "other person" scenario. Is it a recorded fact that some unidentified individual was with him, or not?

If it is fact, it is a puzzling one. If this is Eugene Kim and it was a suicide, who was the other person, why were they with him in the middle of nowhere, and why did they not come to police earlier? FWIW.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back