Found Deceased Canada - Jacqueline McDermott, 22, car broke down on Hwy 97 C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, BC, 30 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could she left the retreat on the early morning of Oct 1, driven 30 minutes to Merritt, perhaps had something to eat, and then started the 30 minute drive to Logan Lake?

Either way, it sounds like the vehicle broke down on the short drive to Logan Lake. Sadly, no one stopped to ask whether she needed help ... until the wrong person very likely stopped. I don't think she would voluntarily leave her keys with her belongings. That kind of suggests she was picked up and taken away.

They seem quite certain that she left on September 30th.

I agree that she was accosted and taken by surprise. Any other scenario would at least have her lock up her van and take the keys, IMO. I read that her van did not have a bathroom. Perhaps she went into the woods/brush to relieve herself and someone took advantage of her vulnerability?

Edit: Is it at all possible that was attacked by a wild animal?

Last edited:
Her father says she was in BC to plant trees, work on a farm and paint. He said she spent most of her time in BC with a close friend and was living in her van.

[Her father] heard from Jacqueline’s mother on Oct. 1 that she had not been able to contact their daughter for about a day.

That is when she filed the missing persons report with police.

“We had regular contact with Jackie,” said [LM], who kept up with his daughter through phone calls, texts and her social media accounts.

They seem quite certain that she left on September 30th.

I agree that she was accosted and taken by surprise. Any other scenario would at least have her lock up her van and take the keys, IMO. I read that her van did not have a bathroom. Perhaps she went into the woods/brush to relieve herself and someone took advantage of her vulnerability?
If the schedule is bed at 9 and breakfast at 4, the last time they saw her might be at bedtime, and she could have left before the 4 AM wake up call.

In any case, she was alive and well on Oct 1, less than an hour away. She had vehicle trouble. I wonder whether she had roadside assistance service and was waiting for someone to help out.

I wonder whether her phone battery was dead from having been unused while at the retreat.

Her father says she was in BC to plant trees, work on a farm and paint. He said she spent most of her time in BC with a close friend and was living in her van.

[Her father] heard from Jacqueline’s mother on Oct. 1 that she had not been able to contact their daughter for about a day.

That is when she filed the missing persons report with police.

“We had regular contact with Jackie,” said [LM], who kept up with his daughter through phone calls, texts and her social media accounts.
Hopefully the friend she spent time with in BC heard from her when her vehicle broke down.

Here's a review of what to expect at the retreat

After travelling solo and probably eating sparsely, a retreat with no talking and minimal food might not have been what she needed at the time.

Good find. Looks like that is a review of the retreat in Washington state but I'm sure they're all very similar.

This is the schedule for the one in BC. Vipassana

They no longer show September dates but I think she may have missed the 10-day program (next one was starting October 5). Maybe there was a shorter 3-day program she was interested in.

Edit: I used the waybackmachine. The last snapshot was in May. The schedule showed they had a 10-day program planned from Sep 21 - Oct 2 so I don't think she would be showing up so late for that one. Also the shorter programs are only for previous "students". Maybe she had attended in the past and so would be eligible. Vipassana

I know there are bad people everywhere but I'm starting to worry about Canada lately. It seems to be gaining in pace with missing people, murders, and violence. Certainly in the last 5 years there seems a big increase.

As for this case, I don't think there will be a hopeful outcome.

If she was living out of the van and her belongings and keys were there, then I think she has been abducted and probably killed. Is the road she was on a major route for trucks?

MOO.

Her parents are flying out tomorrow to help search for her. I wonder why the RCMP believes there is a good chance she's still alive...do they think she is just lost or injured somewhere? I sincerely hope they're right.

“She just disappeared without a trace,” says [her mother], adding that it’s unusual for her daughter to not check in with family and friends.

During what’s arguably one of the toughest moments of her life, [her mother] remains hopeful. “The RCMP says there’s a good chance she’s still alive.”

While there are no new leads at this time, [her mother] says the RCMP is in daily contact with the family. There are officers on horseback, dogs, and even drones searching surrounding areas daily. There’s also been a massive number of trained volunteers helping with the search.

I wonder why the RCMP believes there is a good chance she's still alive...do they think she is just lost or injured somewhere?

I'd be very surprised if she is still alive...what has she been eating for the past week? It'll be cold (ish) at night too. She has nothing with her. All belongings were in the van and she didn't go back to get anything or sleep in it.

MOO.

Good find. Looks like that is a review of the retreat in Washington state but I'm sure they're all very similar.

This is the schedule for the one in BC. Vipassana

They no longer show September dates but I think she may have missed the 10-day program (next one was starting October 5). Maybe there was a shorter 3-day program she was interested in.

Edit: I used the waybackmachine. The last snapshot was in May. The schedule showed they had a 10-day program planned from Sep 21 - Oct 2 so I don't think she would be showing up so late for that one. Also the shorter programs are only for previous "students". Maybe she had attended in the past and so would be eligible. Vipassana
I think the program, structure and schedule will be identical across all of their retreat locations. From the wording of articles about the retreat, it sounds like she left before the end of the program.

Since the retreat collects participant's phones at the beginning, she must have retrieved her phone on Sept 30 ... as that's the day that's the last day that they report seeing her.

I think the program, structure and schedule will be identical across all of their retreat locations. From the wording of articles about the retreat, it sounds like she left before the end of the program.

Since the retreat collects participant's phones at the beginning, she must have retrieved her phone on Sept 30 ... as that's the day that's the last day that they report seeing her.

If I'm understanding the articles correctly, she had just arrived on the 30th to go to the retreat but then left shortly after arriving. I don't believe she was there earlier as she was regularly communicating with her family and friends (last spoke with her mother on the 29th).

Hopefully the retreat has given the RCMP specific information on when she arrived and left (and why)!

Jaqui was a tattoo artist and did some work out of her van.

[Jaqui's mother] said her daughter was going to a yoga retreat in Merritt with plans to meet friends afterward to do some exploring before heading back to Vancouver where she has friends and tattoo clients. “She and her friends were thinking about heading to California to live during colder weather.”

“Currently search and rescue from Kamloops, Merritt and Logan Lake are working tirelessly in the Mamit Lake area around where her van was located,” said spokesperson for the Merritt RCMP Sgt. Josh Roda. “We are encouraging anyone with information to come forward.”

BBM - so her van was found near Mamit Lake, meaning she was only ~10 minutes from the town of Logan Lake. I wonder how the cell reception is out there. I also wonder if they've done any searches in the lake. :(

Here's a review of what to expect at the retreat

After travelling solo and probably eating sparsely, a retreat with no talking and minimal food might not have been what she needed at the time.

Thanks for the link, Otto.

I wonder if she took one look at the rules and looked more closely at the schedule and realized that she wasn't willing to sign her agreement to stay until the end.
(That program is the last place in the world I would go, but then again I'm not their target market.)

Was her cell phone found in her van? (I might have missed this point.)

I know there are bad people everywhere but I'm starting to worry about Canada lately. It seems to be gaining in pace with missing people, murders, and violence. Certainly in the last 5 years there seems a big increase.

As for this case, I don't think there will be a hopeful outcome.

If she was living out of the van and her belongings and keys were there, then I think she has been abducted and probably killed. Is the road she was on a major route for trucks?

MOO.
I think it's because these types of crimes are so rare that they get everyone's attention.

These are Jaqui's IG accounts: Jaqui (@ndsjq) • Instagram photos and videos & NDS Tattoos (@nds_tattoos) • Instagram photos and videos

This is Jaqui's art website. She's very talented. About | NDS

In this IG post, she indicated she was planning on being in downtown Vancouver Oct 4 - 8th.

Thanks for the link, Otto.

I wonder if she took one look at the rules and looked more closely at the schedule and realized that she wasn't willing to sign her agreement to stay until the end.
(That program is the last place in the world I would go, but then again I'm not their target market.)

Was her cell phone found in her van? (I might have missed this point.)
I don't recall anything about the cell phone, but I have read that everything she owned was in the van. The keys were found with the van. I can't see a 22 year old leaving her keys behind for any reason. That was her home. She must have had a phone charger in her vehicle, but if the vehicle wasn't running - perhaps the charger wasn't working.

Jaqui was a tattoo artist and did some work out of her van.

[Jaqui's mother] said her daughter was going to a yoga retreat in Merritt with plans to meet friends afterward to do some exploring before heading back to Vancouver where she has friends and tattoo clients. “She and her friends were thinking about heading to California to live during colder weather.”

“Currently search and rescue from Kamloops, Merritt and Logan Lake are working tirelessly in the Mamit Lake area around where her van was located,” said spokesperson for the Merritt RCMP Sgt. Josh Roda. “We are encouraging anyone with information to come forward.”

BBM - so her van was found near Mamit Lake, meaning she was only ~10 minutes from the town of Logan Lake. I wonder how the cell reception is out there. I also wonder if they've done any searches in the lake. :(
Looks like there is wifi service in the area. However, some cell phone providers (the less expensive options) have no signal in rural areas regardless of available signal.

"Nicola Net: Provides fixed wireless services over unlicensed bands in the areas of Merritt, Mamit Lake Corridor, Logan Lake and rural areas between Merrit and Knutsford south of Kamloops."

View attachment 371138

Google Map

Attachments

• 1665013976009.png
    1665013976009.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 0
Winnipeg is no where near Logan Lake. It's like looking at murder numbers in Chicago and generalizing to the other side of the USA.
Yes, I get that. I know Winnipeg is in MB not BC, I wasn't really talking about it in relation to this case, but just generally.

Don't you think 41 murders in Winnipeg in 9 months is huge?!

From the family's official missing page: Friends and Family of Jaqui McDermott (@findjaquimcdermott) • Instagram photos and videos

If you are reading this for the first time, during the evening of Friday, September 30th, Jaqui went missing. Her van, with the keys and her belongings, were found, on HWY 97C, between Merritt and Logan Lake, British Columbia. The van was broken down. Community members have reported seeing Jaqui around her van.

There are also more photos of her shared.

It's not good that her keys were left behind. Initially I thought maybe she left (possibly with someone else) to get help for her van but all her belongings being left behind suggest something more sudden and sinister. I hope her family gets some answers soon.
Especially if her cellphone is left behind. No tracking ability. I mean if she went out to for example do nature's call nrat her van she would take her cellphone with her. Its a communication device and it provides light in a darker area say with trees. Its concerning if she left it behind. Another thing is even if it needed charging she could do so by taking it with her along with her phone charger, the fact that she didn't do so is concerning. One would hope she would walk to the nearest gas station so she could get help if her phone was uncharged. The other concerning thing is that if her phone had a charge and she turned it off at some point to conserve that is possible, but wouldn't she ask for help before her phone lost its charge? So IMO something has happened that may be of a very serious nature. I wonder what time she left the yoga retreat as she left it early. Does that mean she was going to come back at some point and went out for a short while but had vehicle problems and couldn't come back. But she would let them know instead of being stuck out on the road.

Winnipeg is no where near Logan Lake. It's like looking at murder numbers in Chicago and generalizing to the other side of the USA.
I know horrible. I was surprised when I heard about this Winnipeg stat. I believe the province of Manitoba where the city of Winnipeg is located only has like a little over a million people resisiding there. Logan Lake is in the province of British Columbia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz
Back