Found Deceased Canada - Jake Kermond, 19, Whistler, BC, 26 April 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wasn't there another young male adult Aussie missing in Whistler? Or was it Banff?

Body found in Canada believed to be missing Australian teenager

snipped
After weeks of searching, a body was found by a cyclist about 40 kilometres away from the resort on June 17.

The body has not been formally identified but is believed to be that of Mr Kermond.

It was located on a rock ledge in a working quarry, which had resumed operations after closing for winter.

The death is not believed to be suspicious.

Well, this is an interesting development. I wonder how he ended up there, and why officials don't think it looks like a suspicious death. Thanks for sharing the latest article, luckyseven. I hope we hear more soon.

ETA: It sounds like this is the same body that is discussed on tarabull's post #22 above.

Sorry LE, but I find it highly 'suspicious' that he was found in a quarry 40 kms away from Whistler Village where he was last seen.

Human remains found in Whistler identified as missing Aussie teen
July 7, 2015

Snipped...
...However, a number of items belonging to the teen have not been recovered, including some personal items containing identification, as well as his Armada skis with blue and orange bindings.

...Although Kermond's death remains suspicious, investigators have yet to confirm if foul play was a factor.

"Police are asking anyone with information to come forward, particularly those who knew Jake in the days preceding his disappearance and ultimately his death," said Sgt. Stephanie Ashton, IHIT's media relations officer, in a release.

...Anyone with information regarding this investigation can call the IHIT tipline by calling 1-877-551-IHIT (4448) or email at ihittipline@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

If you wish to remain anonymous, provide your anonymous tip information on the web at solvecrime.ca or by phone at 1-800-222-8477.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/wh...ed-as-missing-aussie-teen/Content?oid=2662692

Just read about this in the news today (I'm in Vancouver), absolutely tragic. It's devestating, how many young people go to Whistler in search of a fun time, to never return. I had high hopes that in this case, he simply wandered off or fled with a girl. I didn't have an off feeling regarding death... very sad to hear, thoughts go out to his parents. Hoping everyone stays safe anywhere, especially Whistler.

How did he end up so far away? Someone knows something as he didn't get their on his own.

Sorry LE, but I find it highly 'suspicious' that he was found in a quarry 40 kms away from Whistler Village where he was last seen.

They are now saying that his death is definitely suspicious but will not confirm foul play.

I personally think it is as suspicious as heck.

image.jpg

Just had this pop up in my newsfeed. So sad :(

The body of a Victorian teenager has been found in a gravel pit outside a Canadian ski resort town three months after he went missing.

Jake Kermond, 19, from Harrietville, was discovered dead in an industrial area about 15 minutes from the village of Whistler in British Columbia, the ABC reports.

According to police, the teen was last seen in the lobby of the Adara Hotel where he was staying on April 26.

It is not yet clear how he died.

Sergeant Stephanie Ashton told Huffington Post British Columbia while the man's death is suspicious, foul play has not been confirmed.

http://www.9news.com.au/World/2015/07/10/12/48/Australian-teenager-found-dead-at-Canada-ski-resort

Currently, homicide detectives are investigating whether he fell or was pushed. It sounds to me like there was an attempt at burying his body by someone. Details are in the article.

All of the linked articles say his identification and skis are missing. I wonder if his backpack is also missing. Initial articles had said he may have been trying to sell his skis because he needed money. Perhaps he met up with someone who said they wanted to buy them and things went south from there. Armada skis are a very trendy ski among the freeskiing crowd. I don't think it would have been difficult to find someone interested in buying them. Unfortunately, we've seen a lot of crimes surrounding people selling things to strangers. :(

I'm so confused about this case. We stayed at the Adara hotel last time we went to whistler and it was a very nice, boutique hotel. We went in the off season and even then it was about $200 per night. Wasn't it reported he was having money troubles? I've done budget backpacking too and there's no way I would have wasted money like that on a hotel when there were hostels/budget hotels available. There's a lot we aren't being told I think.

I thought I'd do a quick search online to see if there's an update to the investigation into Jake's death. The latest piece I found was in Whistler's Pique Newsmagazine, in police briefs dated July 15 (second news brief):

A spokesperson with B.C.'s homicide investigation unit wants to quell rumours that an Australian teen who was discovered at the bottom of a Whistler gravel pit last month was murdered.

Some media outlets in Australia have reported that the death of 19-year-old Jake Kermond, whose decomposing remains were found in an industrial area on June 17, was likely a homicide. One went so far as to claim that he may have been pushed off a cliff.

"We have no evidence of that," said Sgt. Stephanie Ashton with the RCMP's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

The article also says the state of decomposition may prevent them from ever determining the cause of death.

Sounds to me like they need someone to come forward and tell them what happened. I feel so sad for his family. The not knowing must torment them. :(

Here's the link to full story, which has a little bit more info, but not much (2nd news brief):

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/calgary-man-sentenced-in-2012-death-of-limo-driver-in-whistler/Content?oid=2665127

This is extremely sad.
Until those skis are found and legitimately accounted for then this young Aussie's death is suspicious.
Should be a warning to all young people heading to Whistler for work/fun---keep your wits about you and stay connected to those you can trust. I am sure Whistler can be magical at night but the criminal element will be there too.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back