Found Deceased Canada - Jessica Newman, 24, Calgary, 10 March 2015 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you lala! i hope to be joining you!

Been reading this thread but haven't posted, been trying to wean off sleuthing! This case is interesting though... If she was dropped off and didn't go in maybe there was afriend or someone she knew waiting outside and they started chatting or something like that.

Good for you lala! i hope to be joining you!

You'll be joining me by weaning you mean? lol, I say this now but I know as soon as the Liknes/O'Brien/Garland trial starts up, I won't be able to *not* sleuth. This case is intriguing, it seems like the ex would be involved with her missing, but I just don't think that's the case here for some reason.

"EMS found a woman in early 30s badly beaten near Calgary remand centre Monday afternoon. Rushed to hospital in serious, stable condition."
https://mobile.twitter.com/ReidSouthwick
Reid reports for the Calgary Herald.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...itch-recovering-in-calgary-hospital-1.3041152
It is believed to be a domestic situation. Man in custody.
The full story here:

http://m.calgarysun.com/2015/04/20/...centre?token=6220c51886c9fda0316c68749cb5213d

We were talking about some of the tactics used by Major Crimes to get confessions. Currently, one of the methods used is being argued in a murder trial:

"The murder suspect was paid $15,000 over that period to do various jobs for what he was led to believe was a crime syndicate.

“The payment (from the phony criminal organization) was very modest,” Mograbee said of the salary Jordan received during an eight-month police sting.

Both defence lawyers Mitch Stephensen and Allan Fay want Justice Rosemary Nation to rule the comments their clients made to a Calgary cop posing as a crime boss were illegally solicited."

http://m.calgarysun.com/2015/04/20/...jordan?token=b036cd8f000cf57ace5d559949351154

We were talking about some of the tactics used by Major Crimes to get confessions. Currently, one of the methods used is being argued in a murder trial:

"The murder suspect was paid $15,000 over that period to do various jobs for what he was led to believe was a crime syndicate.

“The payment (from the phony criminal organization) was very modest,” Mograbee said of the salary Jordan received during an eight-month police sting.

Both defence lawyers Mitch Stephensen and Allan Fay want Justice Rosemary Nation to rule the comments their clients made to a Calgary cop posing as a crime boss were illegally solicited."

http://m.calgarysun.com/2015/04/20/...jordan?token=b036cd8f000cf57ace5d559949351154
It's a perfect example of why LE shouldn't be releasing statements and threats through victims' families. Not only can the information gathered possibly be challenged given that the family are now acting as agents of law enforcement, but by including, inspiring, and inflaming family with the "tough talk", should any of the letter receivers or their "supporters" take vigilante action, LE may end up getting sued by their very own target.

It's a perfect example of why LE shouldn't be releasing statements and threats through victims' families. Not only can the information gathered possibly be challenged given that the family are now acting as agents of law enforcement, but by including, inspiring, and inflaming family with the "tough talk", should any of the letter receivers or their "supporters" take vigilante action, LE may end up getting sued by their very own target.
I fail to see how anything LE said in the "letter" to the family suggests that anyone should act as vigilantes. The only 'threat' I saw, was that they would continue to pursue the case.

I fail to see how anything LE said in the "letter" to the family suggests that anyone should act as vigilantes. The only 'threat' I saw, was that they would continue to pursue the case.
If anyone angry enough to seek out those "misleading" the investigation decides to take matters into their own hands and "iterrogate" people... much like the Mindy Tran case in Kelowna, BC... then expect them to point to the letter as inspiration.

They openly admit someone is lying to them... and possibly give the date on which they spoke to the liar. The bolding of the sentence also lends itself to being argued as a veiled threat. There is no reason to tell the public the case won't go away... everyone knows that as a general rule. Cold case files are titles and subjects of endless books, movies, and television series... it's common knowledge.

Imagine yourself on the stand having to answer why you included that sentence and bolded it...

It was an intimidation attempt... and can embolden the wrong person.

If anyone angry enough to seek out those "misleading" the investigation decides to take matters into their own hands and "iterrogate" people... much like the Mindy Tran case in Kelowna, BC... then expect them to point to the letter as inspiration.

They openly admit someone is lying to them... and possibly give the date on which they spoke to the liar. The bolding of the sentence also lends itself to being argued as a veiled threat. There is no reason to tell the public the case won't go away... everyone knows that as a general rule. Cold case files are titles and subjects of endless books, movies, and television series... it's common knowledge.

Imagine yourself on the stand having to answer why you included that sentence and bolded it...

It was an intimidation attempt... and can embolden the wrong person.
Wouldn't hold up. They conclude the thought with; "Our best advice to you is to do what's right and contact police." Those few little words absolves them from any veiled threat one might infer.

It could also be argued that by releasing the fact Major Crimes is now involved (if they actually are other than in the letter), it could have the opposite effect. Those involved who may have been lazy and lackadaisical may become more cautious and calculated. If this case drags on without resolution, the letter may well be regarded as the point the investigation jumped the shark and the official bungling began.

LE had better hope she just comes out of hiding at this point... or they somehow get a full confession from the alleged abductor(s).

Wouldn't hold up. They conclude the thought with; "Our best advice to you is to do what's right and contact police." Those few little words absolves them from any veiled threat one might infer.
Not by releasing it through the family it doesn't... the part about they hope she shares the threatening letter with her supporters is enlisting them directly. It can then be argued that LE knew, or ought to have known that involving emotional family members and supporters with the use of unnecessary, and inflammatory language could create an atmosphere of vigilantism.

There would be in depth questioning on why not simply release it through the press. Why didn't they? There is no good reason for this letter. It wasn't private. It wasn't informative. It was play acting... and bad play acting at that.

There would be in depth questioning as to why release obvious statements in bold. Is it to intimidate someone, or embolden the family to act on their own? Either way, it can be twisted into LE enlisting supporters to seek out confessions, without having the restraints LE does.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...former-mountie/article4273110/?service=mobile

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/new...-murrin-settles-civil-suit-with-rcmp-1.832050

Shannon Murrin alleged that LE enlisted others to beat a confession out of him. He sued. RCMP settled for an undisclosed amount.
I am not sure I would believe anything that comes out of his mouth. After doing extensive reading into him and the RCMP in Kelowna at the time of Mindy Trans Murder I tend to believe both sides have been untruthful.

I am not sure I would believe anything that comes out of his mouth. After doing extensive reading into him and the RCMP in Kelowna at the time of Mindy Trans Murder I tend to believe both sides have been untruthful.
... and that becomes the concern in this case. If a murder trial hinges on an alleged "coerced" piece of information, LE does not want that letter presented as evidence, along with the statement by Sgt. Hebert that the letter was a tactic to gather information.

The accused only need testify that whoever forced the confession out of them, accused them of being the person misleading LE as mentioned in the letter. Whether they are telling the truth or not then will be up to a judge... who will most likely err on the side of fair trial, and admonish LE for play acting a letter. There won't be any excuse for anything that goes wrong with this letter. They will be responsible for any consequences of the "tactic".

It's one thing to send her a letter that she leaks herself... it's a completely different story to ask her to leak it and then use that sort of language. You don't even see that language in press conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonnyfastball