CANADA Canada - Karen Caughlin, 14, Sarnia, Ont, 16 March 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very interesting. It's news to me that the hit and run may have been done to to cover up the actual murder.

Very interesting. It's news to me that the hit and run may have been done to to cover up the actual murder.

"Evidence indicates Karen had been severely beaten before being run over by her killer. The postmortem examination of Karen’s body confirmed internal hemorrhaging as the cause of Karen’s death. Karen’s fatal injuries were a direct result of being struck and run over with a motor vehicle. Police investigators believe Karen’s body had been left at the side of the road after she had been murdered at an unknown location, and that Karen’s killer(s) attempted to make Karen’s death appear as a hit and run accident to cover-up her murder."

http://trevordailey.wordpress.com/2010/02/08/unsolved-investigation-karen-lee-ann-caughlin/

Just because the original 3 boys' DNA wasn't on her does not put them in the clear.

The below is all MOO and my theory:

Her sister said there were two sets of footprints where her body was found. I think the original 3 boys were sitting in the purple car as passengers in the back. The two boys up front, (one of which was the one that hit her) were the ones to take her out of the car. The original 3 had allegiance to the 2, out of fear or respect because of age or location on the social ladder, or both. The 2 probably are in the dregs of society right now and the original 3 remain afraid of them.

Her being dropped off at her friend's is obviously BS, but the fact that the original 3's DNA was not located with her, and yet they lied about this, makes my scenario incredibly likely.

ETA motive, she turned the murderer down and he's unhinged. IMO, really heavy into drugs today.

ETA2: the original 3 want to come clean but are hoping one of the others will do it first. Hence the continued silence.

Again, MOO.

There you go Ontario LE, I just created a starting point for you.

Just because the original 3 boys' DNA wasn't on her does not put them in the clear.

The below is all MOO and my theory:

Her sister said there were two sets of footprints where her body was found. I think the original 3 boys were sitting in the purple car as passengers in the back. The two boys up front, (one of which was the one that hit her) were the ones to take her out of the car. The original 3 had allegiance to the 2, out of fear or respect because of age or location on the social ladder, or both. The 2 probably are in the dregs of society right now and the original 3 remain afraid of them.

Her being dropped off at her friend's is obviously BS, but the fact that the original 3's DNA was not located with her, and yet they lied about this, makes my scenario incredibly likely.

ETA motive, she turned the murderer down and he's unhinged. IMO, really heavy into drugs today.

ETA2: the original 3 want to come clean but are hoping one of the others will do it first. Hence the continued silence.

Again, MOO.

There you go Ontario LE, I just created a starting point for you.

Ontario Provincial Police are very serious about this case. Their "starting point" was 39 years ago.They have been investigation it for a long time. The scenario to over simplify the events will probably not be very helpful. They have been working on this for nearly 40 years. The police nor the family has ever given up hope that this will be solved.

I was under the impression that the LE is digging their heels into the ground in terms of helping the family. I see the family very active in this case, and pleading for help because LE is not doing so.

I was under the impression that the LE is digging their heels into the ground in terms of helping the family. I see the family very active in this case, and pleading for help because LE is not doing so.

I believe this would be true with any unsolved murder. It must be very frustrating for the family and the police. There is only so much the police can do. When the leads run out, dead ends happen.
Times have changed. Remember this was 39 years ago. Police officers have came and gone several times over.

The car in question MAY have been found. LE would need to investigate it first.

http://eedition.sarniathisweek.com/doc/Sarnia-This-Week/sarniathisweek/2012042401/#0

It was investigated and found to not be the car in question through historical evidence. Not that, that makes it true. But we have to go by what we have. And that car was ruled out for some reason. Hmmmm

Perhaps the current owners would give the car to someone to store it until the murder was solved.

Is there anyway to find the current owner(s) of this subject car?

Maybe there is a way to get the word out about the vehicle to folks who belong to classic car clubs?

Im sorry if ive missed something .... Was this car ruled out then? I didnt think this car had been ruled out.

In my own speculations i thought perhaps these boys were annoyed with her for whatever reason, roughed her up and drove her out to boonies and made her walk home, tossing her belongings out on their merry way home. At which point someone came along from the racing areas of petrolia and accidentally clipped her while walking. Then freaked out and covered it up.
All my opinion and thoughts.

I was under the impression this car was not ruled out as the car who struck karen.

Im sorry if ive missed something .... Was this car ruled out then? I didnt think this car had been ruled out.

I saw in a news article that the OPP never went to see the car. I don't get it. Any lead is worth looking into I would think.

Ahh ... Saw page 3.
It just says LE has dealt with it to their satisfaction. I would think if paint chips were compared it would plainly state so. It leaves a bit too much to interpretation.
Im not convinced this car has been ruled out.

This article was printed in April 2012 ...my opinion is that There was further investigation into this car/past owner around August 2012. Which makes me think it wasnt ruled out at that time in 2012. It may have been ruled out later, but i dont think was ruled out in April.

Hi everyone!

I am new here but have been reading various threads for a few weeks now.

This case has intrigued me for a long time. It confuses me too. I thought that the police were really close to solving this case back in 2005-2006. I swear I remember reading an article about repeated interviews with an undisclosed informant. (I will be searching for that article and post it when I find it)

I also was under the understanding that the police believe she was taken from Sarnia, driven to the baseball diamonds at the corner of Hwy 21 and Rokeby Line. That is where the assault occurred and then the killer(s) took her to Plowing Match Rd where they ran her over and left her. (Again I will be going searching for the articles on this as I remember this info coming out at the same time as the above mentioned).

Hi everyone!

I am new here but have been reading various threads for a few weeks now.

This case has intrigued me for a long time. It confuses me too. I thought that the police were really close to solving this case back in 2005-2006. I swear I remember reading an article about repeated interviews with an undisclosed informant. (I will be searching for that article and post it when I find it)

I also was under the understanding that the police believe she was taken from Sarnia, driven to the baseball diamonds at the corner of Hwy 21 and Rokeby Line. That is where the assault occurred and then the killer(s) took her to Plowing Match Rd where they ran her over and left her. (Again I will be going searching for the articles on this as I remember this info coming out at the same time as the above mentioned).

:welcome5:

Hi everyone!

(Again I will be going searching for the articles on this as I remember this info coming out at the same time as the above mentioned).

I look forward to reading what you find.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Eric
Back