CANADA Canada - Karen Caughlin, 14, Sarnia, Ont, 16 March 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
[/B]I also was under the understanding that the police believe she was taken from Sarnia, driven to the baseball diamonds at the corner of Hwy 21 and Rokeby Line. That is where the assault occurred and then the killer(s) took her to Plowing Match Rd where they ran her over and left her. (Again I will be going searching for the articles on this as I remember this info coming out at the same time as the above mentioned).[/QUOTE]

There are no ball diamonds at the corner of Rokeby Line and Oil Heritage Road (Highway 21). I believe you are referring to the corner of Oil Heritage Rd and Shiloh Line in Enniskillen Township in the County of Lambton. Just thought I should correct this in case people start mapping etc.

[/B]I also was under the understanding that the police believe she was taken from Sarnia, driven to the baseball diamonds at the corner of Hwy 21 and Rokeby Line. That is where the assault occurred and then the killer(s) took her to Plowing Match Rd where they ran her over and left her. (Again I will be going searching for the articles on this as I remember this info coming out at the same time as the above mentioned).

There are no ball diamonds at the corner of Rokeby Line and Oil Heritage Road (Highway 21). I believe you are referring to the corner of Oil Heritage Rd and Shiloh Line in Enniskillen Township in the County of Lambton. Just thought I should correct this in case people start mapping etc.[/QUOTE]

I look forward to hearing about your findings. Thanks. :)

Thank you. I forget that at some point Rokeby Line turns into Shiloh Line.

Still in search of that article!

Unless the story is proven to be false. I believe the boysdid drop her off at her friends house. Joy riding was very popular back then. To ride around listening to the 8track player and maybe smoke some weed back then.

If this is the case, then the killer was right there when dropped off.
Not knowing the time that Karen would be arriving at the friends house there is a chance the intended victim was not Karen but karens friend?
Karen happened to come upon the killer at the friends house.

I read something interesting today. I don't think its new info, but it was certainly new to me.

Yesterday was the 30th anniversary of the murder of 2 local teens, Kim Sauve and Shelly Brazeau. Richard Boudreau (in his early 20s?) was convicted of their murder.

An article about them is linked here

http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/08/21/missing-them-still

According to info here

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?noframes;read=255690

Which appears to come from Kathy Caughlin (Karen's sister), Boudreau knew Karen in some way. He would have been a teen at the time of her murder, but I am unable to find out his exact age. I wonder how seriously he was looked at as the killer?

New!

http://www.cp24.com/news/opp-seek-public-s-help-to-solve-40-year-old-homicide-1.1727029

bbm

" Police have said the autopsy revealed that Caughlin's injuries were consistent with having been struck by a vehicle. However, circumstances such as her purse being located several days later in a ditch north of Petrolia, led investigators to rule her death a homicide.

Even a $50,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of her killer hasn't led police to an arrest in the case.

OPP say they plan to release a case chronology video today and launch a public appeal to anyone with information in the case"

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/opp-seek-p...-40-year-old-homicide-1.1727029#ixzz2vrXsVbjy

" Published on Mar 13, 2014

Video regarding the OPP investigation into the death of 14 year-old Karen Caughlin of Sarnia.

This is an official OPP case chronology video in the hope of reinvigorating the investigation into the death of 14 year-old Karen Caughlin of Sarnia. Karen was found on the morning of Saturday, March 16, 1974, near the side of the then-6th Sideroad [or Freer Road], now known as Plowing Match Road, between Churchill Line and Lasalle Line in Lambton County. Anyone with information on the Karen Caughlin investigation may call Lambton County OPP at 519-882-1011 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)."

OPP investigation into death of Karen Caughlin - YouTube

" Caughlin was dropped off early on March 16, 1974, in front of a friend's house on Brock St. South in the city.

Investigators say she never entered the home and a farmer discovered her battered body later that morning in a shallow ditch by then 6th Side Road or Freer Road, now known as Plowing Match Road northwest of Petrolia.

At the news conference, the OPP Criminal Investigations Branch said they are looking at a nine-hour gap between when Caughlin was last seen and when her body was discovered 22 km away.

Police are hoping the seven minute video will jog the memories of Sarnia residents. Authorities want to speak with anyone who may have seen or been with Caughlin on Friday, March 15 at locations in the community or at Sarnia Collegiate Institute and Technical School.
"

Read more: http://london.ctvnews.ca/opp-hope-v...-40-year-old-homicide-1.1727219#ixzz2vrZNUUa3
bbm.

Who killed a 14-year-old Sarnia girl? OPP investigating 1974 cold case

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/who-kil...rl-opp-investigating-1974-cold-case-1.1727372
POINT EDWARD, Ont. -- Ontario's provincial police hope a new appeal to the public will help reinvigorate an investigation into a four-decade-old homicide.
Karen Caughlin, 14, of Sarnia, was dropped off early on March 16, 1974, in front of a friend's house on Brock St. South in the city.
Investigators say Caughlin never entered the home and a farmer discovered her battered body later that morning in a shallow ditch by a gravel sideroad northwest of Petrolia.

Here is the 7 minute YouTube video made and released by the LEOs about this case.

Published on Mar 13, 2014
Video regarding the OPP investigation into the death of 14 year-old Karen Caughlin of Sarnia.

If this happened in the states instead of Canada. I would have looked at Ted Bundy hard. She looks exactly like the type ted liked.. That famous 70s look. The long straight parted hair down the middle. Even her name resonates Ted bundy.

So after watching the video a few times, it is suspected she arrive at the friends house around 1AM got out of the vehicle, and her friends left and within 10 15 seconds before reaching the door of the friends house, she was either abducted or left voluntarily with someone before she even reached the front-door of the house she was dropped off at?

That means someone would have had to been RIGHT THERE!. When she started to walk towards the front-door. Chance encounter? Someone just happened to be there right at the time she was dropped off?

Think about it, when you were young, and cold outside someone drops you off you usually enter the house quickly. Straight in. But not in this case.

I wonder if she made detour? and instead of walking up to the door at the friends house, maybe she decided for whatever reason to go to a neighbors house instead for whatever reason. Whether called over or just walked over.

If she was targeted by someone, then they had to know when she would be arriving at the friends house to be there at the right time to abduct her within 10 15 seconds after getting out of the vehicle. As far as we know, she didst make plans to leave with someone else after arriving at the friends house, which would have explained her not reaching the front door of the friend. Did she make a phone call prior to leaving the skating ring. Did anyone notice she made a call to someone right before leaving the stating ring that could have met her at the friends house after being dropped off.

Add on...
When you looked at the conditions of the road where she was found. It was a dirt road covered with snow, ice, slush etc. One would have to have a vehicle that could handle those extreme conditions. Such as a truck or other type of vehicle. Not just a regular car i would assume.

add on ...2
What kind of vehicle were the friends driving? And when they mentioned injuries consintant with being struck by a vehicle. DO they mean being struck as if in the front or rear of the vehicle, or do they mean being ran over with the tires?

They considered it a hit and run to begin with, until they found her purse further away. Then they changed it a murder investigation.

Wondering if it was a murder followed by a hit and run, or a hit and run followed by a murder.
Wonder if someone was at the house or near the house Karen was leaving from, who then skipped out quickly to beat/meet her at the door of her destination? imo, speculation.

[video=youtube;4qaWsh01osM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qaWsh01osM[/video]

"This is an official OPP case chronology video in the hope of reinvigorating the investigation into the death of 14 year-old Karen Caughlin of Sarnia. Karen was found on the morning of Saturday, March 16, 1974, near the side of the then-6th Sideroad [or Freer Road], now known as Plowing Match Road, between Churchill Line and Lasalle Line in Lambton County. Anyone with information on the Karen Caughlin investigation may call Lambton County OPP at 519-882-1011 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)."

I just realized that there is another Karen Coughlin thread. can we merge the two?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ADA-Karen-Caughlin-14-Sarnia-ON-16-March-1974

Thanks for positng. Alot of good information at the links that still work. Family comments at some. According to the weater report at the time it didnot start to snow until around 3AM. Since there were footprints and tire tracks she may had been somewhere else for at least a couple of hours or more before being left where found.

They also reported they have DNA!? They, I have not read anywhere she was sexual assaulted. But I think she was. Where else could they have collected DNA?

Its the motive I wonder about. Why would someone want to murder this young girl on that night.

[video=youtube;4qaWsh01osM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qaWsh01osM[/video]

"This is an official OPP case chronology video in the hope of reinvigorating the investigation into the death of 14 year-old Karen Caughlin of Sarnia. Karen was found on the morning of Saturday, March 16, 1974, near the side of the then-6th Sideroad [or Freer Road], now known as Plowing Match Road, between Churchill Line and Lasalle Line in Lambton County. Anyone with information on the Karen Caughlin investigation may call Lambton County OPP at 519-882-1011 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS)."

The distance from the street to the front door is only what 15 20 steps or so? Would have taken her just a few seconds to get to the front door. The people that dropped her off didn't see anything. Didn't see where she went in a matter of seconds. They drove off so fast after dropping her off? By instinct I would have waited for her to enter the door.

NO SCREAM? If she was being abducted at the front door one would think she would have screamed aloud.
Trying to imagine a killer standing there beside the house, she gets out starts walking towards the front door, the people whom dropped her off starts to pull off, and at the same time the killer comes from side of the house and abducts her from the front porch all within a matter of seconds no one sees or hears anything during the Abduction........Hard to believe.

If they didn't pull up to the curb, and just stopped in the middle of the street, and she got out say on the drivers side from the back seat, and they pulled off, while she was walking behind the vehicle then it would have taken longer for her to reach the front porch. And in this case it may had been possible for the driver to leave with out seeing anything.

If the killer was, happened to be right there. I doubt he was waiting on the side of the house?........They said there were two sets of footprints where she was found....He may have been setting in a vehicle when she arrived. Regardless all of this happened within what 30 seconds from the time she exited the vehicle and was taken from the area if this was a abduction?

Instead of a car with purple paint, maybe they should have looked at trucks, suv with purple paint..........I think there is a chance she knew her killer/killers and if she did get taken from the house, she may have left with someone before entering the house.

And then there is a chance that the intended victim was the girl inside the house. But Karen showed up unexpectedly and his focus shifted to her.

If she was taken at the house, this had to be someone living/staying right there in the neighborhood. Next door, across the street, someone that knew the coming and goings of the people living in that house. I don't see a chance encounter with someone out of the area whom happened to stop there for whatever reason and decided to take Karen by chance at 1AM in the morning...I am wondering if perhaps someone was going to break in the house, rape and kill the girl inside but there plans changed when Karen showed up?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C-Kane
Back