GUILTY Canada - Kienan Hebert, 3, Sparwood BC, 7 Sept 2011 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Still within the first 24 hour detention period right now. Once 24 hours is up he will be brought before the justice of the peace to be remanded into custody.

End of presser.

Just found out the news of Hopley's arrest, and caught up on this thread.

All I can say is:

Great Job to all the Agencies involved in Kienan's case....
AMAZING WORK!!!!!

:fireworks2::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks::fireworks2:

THIS is how an investigation, search and press conference should be conducted.

I am amazed at how open they are being but not revealing anything to hurt the court case. I will every LE in North America took this tack.

And.........lots of treats for Taz the Dog!!!

120.jpg

http://www.shopmaggiewags.com/v/vspfiles/photos/categories/120.jpg

If you call fleeing an attempt to resist arrest, then yes, he resisted arrest. Found in an abandoned cabin.

An RCMP K9 team tracked Hopley to an abandoned gravel pit.

The cabin is related to an incident several years prior.

Looks like Hopley acted alone.

Not buying that!! I did hear them say that initially when they located Hopley they THOUGHT they someone else run from the home, but that turned out not to be the case.... but it would NOT surprise me to hear in the future that someone was in contact with Hopley, and helped "facilitate" the drop off of the little boy, safely....

That said... it *does* seem as though LE *really* were not expecting the child to be returned home! LE spoke of wanting him dropped somewhere where he'd be safe, and had patrols going in areas they thought it could be, hoping they'd get to him quickly in the event he was dropped in an unsafe area - so that hopefully he wouldn't meet with further peril....

It *really* seems they *expected* and *hoped* for the child to be released... even if they didn't know the exact *where*. I'd love to know *why* they expected / hoped for this?? Did they have clues from the suspect that indicated this was likely? And who made the 911 call??

as i understood what they said, there were a number of old miners' cabins near the gravel pit. They were searching the miners' cabins and tracked him to one. it's not clear that he was actually in the cabin. perhaps he fled and hid nearby in the gravel pit?

An RCMP K9 team tracked Hopley to an abandoned gravel pit.

The cabin is related to an incident several years prior.

actually, they said the k-9 alerted to activity in a cabin and a chase ensued, the dog then tracked him to the gravel pit, where he was arrested.

Was any info provided by Kienan? Not going to say anything about what info rec'd from Kienan.

He said "what info"... from Kienan. This suggests to me that Kienan *did* manage to provide police with some information / answers to their questions!!

Had Kienan been unable / unwilling to do so, I'd have expected the LE to say that he couldn't say "If" any info was rec'd, or to say that he couldn't say "what if any"....

NO deal made with hopley

How about with someone else? Perhaps someone else met Hopley and took the child home? I like how LE assured us very specifically that NO DEAL was made with HOPLEY - his voice and face seemed to emphasize this!! They MAY have had help from someone as yet un-named, who may have been offered immunity for his/her assistance in the matter, or who was actually *not* an accomplice to the abductor, but who did assist police in some way shape or form.

So what did we learn?

- no one tip led to hopley
- they were worried that Kienan would be dropped off somewhere unsafe (or never be returned)
- they said RH acted alone. (admitting that there was a flurry of activity looking for a potential other party right after Hopley was picked up...but that was just excitement by the LE involved at the scene)
- no deal was made with Hopley
- general local awareness of Hopley caused them to suspect him (they wouldn't provide more specifics than that)
- they are exhausted, but not quite done yet (not surprising!!)

Anything else or anything that surprised anyone?

How about with someone else? Perhaps someone else met Hopley and took the child home? I like how LE assured us very specifically that NO DEAL was made with HOPLEY - his voice and face seemed to emphasize this!! They MAY have had help from someone as yet un-named, who may have been offered immunity for his/her assistance in the matter, or who was actually *not* an accomplice to the abductor, but who did assist police in some way shape or form.

I believe them when they say it looks like he acted alone. Most child abductors act alone. They obviously had to consider an accomplice but I doubt that the area is awash in guys who will trust another when it comes to kidnapping a child.

I have NO reason to think LE was lying when he said it was only the rush of the emotions/adrenaline that made them think they saw someone else there in the confusion.

So what did we learn?

- they were worried that Kienan would be dropped off somewhere unsafe (or never be returned)
- they said RH acted alone. (admitting that there was a flurry of activity looking for a potential other party right after Hopley was picked up...but that was just excitement by the LE involved at the scene)
- general local awareness of Hopley caused them to suspect him (they wouldn't provide more specifics than that)

I was surprised at the total number of people and how efficient their plan of investigation seemed. So often LE seems like they are throwing darts at a board to get a result in child kidnappings unless its family.

There are major cities that don't put a 150 people including military services on a missing child case, let alone a small place like Sparwood. (not talking volunteers here)

Also at how they seemed to have used a profiler or someone there has the instincts of one with the way both the parents gave a plea and then the police plead directly to Hopely as well. ETA I mean we knew they did that, but I was surprised at how tactical it was, rather than the general trot out the parents..and we don't often see police asking the suspect to return the child themselves.

I was surprised at the total number of people and how efficient their plan of investigation seemed. So often LE seems like they are throwing darts at a board to get a result in child kidnappings unless its family.

There are major cities that don't put a 150 people including military services on a missing child case, let alone a small place like Sparwood. (not talking volunteers here)

Also at how they seemed to have used a profiler or someone there has the instincts of one with the way both the parents gave a plea and then the police plead directly to Hopely as well. ETA I mean we knew they did that, but I was surprised at how tactical it was, rather than the general trot out the parents..and we don't often see police asking the suspect to return the child themselves.

The RCMP have certainly redeemed themselves with this case in light of recent bad press. I admit that I felt they screwed up by not having the Hebert's home under surveillance and thus allowing whoever returned Kienan to get away, but I am impressed that they tracked him down so fast. Especially considering the vast wilderness areas they had to search.

So what did earlier reports mentioning "facilitating" Kienan's return mean?:fence:

So what did we learn?

I'm surprised no deal was made but I'm always skeptical about LE. I'm glad they caught Hopley and I hope this time he's behind bars for a very long time. Unfortunatley, I think he'll get some sort of insanity plea. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwaggoner16
Back