Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Although the sketch does resemble FC, the unidentified man didn't have any tattoos..

True. I wonder why it took so many years to specify that Deep River man didn't have one. As already noted, Deep River man was slightly shorter than FC and not as heavy.

I'm not convinced that Deep River man's eyes were blue, either. Green eyes could appear blue with corneal opacity.

Many of the old links don't work. Here's an old description of him that does not mention a tattoo. It's odd to miss a tattoo, don't you think?

Can You Identify Me? Do You Know Me?: Bret Stone -Unidentified Male found Deep River, Ontario September 5, 2001

It does mention his eyeglass prescription. I don't know how accurate this is, or where it came from. Eyeglasses are expensive and non-scratch and UV coatings are expensive. People who don't wear glasses are sometimes shocked at the cost. This was before discount online eyeglass shops popped up in Canada. And who would put "Lada lenses" in a Ferrari? The frame size indicates that he had a smaller face for a man. Because of the difference in prescription between left and right eyes, is it possible he had a "lazy eye" as a child?

DNA will tell the story in the end eventually, if it is pursued. In the meantime, this man's appearance is a much closer match than other missing people I've seen posted in this thread over the years. The earlobes seem consistent, and the jawline, too. I'm willing to let it stand.

Another question that I have not seen answered. How thorough was the search for his belongings, and how far did it go? Was the outhouse lifted off its base? Wallets and now cellphones are notorious for falling in outhouses.

I don't know if FC is the Deep River unidentified man, but in 2001, there were a number of people missing and at least one murdered on the street where he was last seen in Montreal. One of the others connected to events on the street as a witness was believed to have left Quebec, or gone to the U.S. or South America in December 2001. FC disappeared in January 2001.

Very strange. The Deep River UID was believed to have travelled in the U.S. and Costa Rica.

Those coated lenses were popular with people who worked on computer monitors back when they were CRTs. If you were having eye strain from it, you could sometimes get your company insurance to pay for it. That's how I got mine.

That caffeine and ephedrine combination was often used for weight loss. Sort of a home-brew version of diet pills.

Those coated lenses were popular with people who worked on computer monitors back when they were CRTs. If you were having eye strain from it, you could sometimes get your company insurance to pay for it. That's how I got mine.

That caffeine and ephedrine combination was often used for weight loss. Sort of a home-brew version of diet pills. FC could have been trying to lose weight.

The slight acne was interesting but i think a big factor would be the height, Laurentian Doe is only 5'3''-5'4'', how tall is the missing man?

Good question. I wonder why they're suddenly looking for someone from 1991, and whether the sketch is from 30 years ago or from memory in 2021 of 30 years ago. Someone from a cadet organization is the kind of person who might attend the annual event at Petawawa as a spectator. Ten years later takes us to 2001, when this person would be 29 to 30 years old, within the range range given for Deep River man.

Was an autopsy ever done?

Death in woods still a mystery 18 months later

Autopsies are not automatic. Sometimes COD determination relies on toxicology reports. Sometimes in more remote areas, the local doctor acts as the coroner. There has been a shortage of qualified pathologists in Canada for many years. If anyone knows of a news article verifying or denying an autopsy, please post a link. Many articles have disappeared in the past 20 years.

Also, where are the remains of Deep River man now? Could samples of his DNA still be accessed and examined using updated technology and techniques?

It would be interesting to see this image:

Deep River John Doe

...next to the age-advanced image on the right here:

Canadian Military Police searching for person who attended Winnipeg Military Function in 1991

Police-Sketch-June-13-Cropped.jpg
View image in full screen
The Canadian Forces National Investigation Service is trying to track down a person who is believed to have attended a Military Function in Winnipeg in 1991. Twitter / @wpgpolice

Hmmm… I see similarities but I’m not convinced it’s the same person. MOO
ETA: the nose is what is throwing me off, if the sketches are in fact accurate, the noses don’t look the same… or the jaw for that matter.

@dotr thank you for putting the sketches together!

One image is based on a drawing from photos of the deceased after death. The other is likely based on memories, possibly from 30 years ago.

I don't find composite sketches very helpful, to be honest, because they can look like everyone and no one. I do find the high hairline, the frontal bossing, the wrinkled forehead and the down-turned corners of his lips interesting. The shape of his eyes also match, IMO. The chin on the military's sketch seems too wide and too square to be the same man, but again, memories fade with time.

If this is our Laurentian Hills/Deep River man, why is the military looking for him? Was he a soldier at some point? Was he with the Airborne Regiment? If so, this could explain why our unidentified man turned up near Petawawa around the time of the annual fitness competition in 2001. Is he wanted for some kind of offence that he committed in 1991? Was he running from something? Why are they looking for him now, three decades on?

From Wikipedia:

"In 1991, the regiment was in Western Sahara to monitor the cease-fire and enforce agreements between guerrilla forces and the Moroccan army."

The Canadian Airborne Regiment - Army.ca Wiki

CFB Winnipeg is an air force base, also home to 1 Canadian Air Division. CFB Shilo in Manitoba is an operations and training base for the Canadian military.

CFB Winnipeg - Wikipedia

1 Canadian Air Division | Royal Canadian Air Force

Also:
CFB North Bay - Wikipedia

And thanks, dotr!

Last edited:
I do find the high hairline, the frontal bossing, the wrinkled forehead and the down-turned corners of his lips interesting. The shape of his eyes also match, IMO. The chin on the military's sketch seems too wide and too square to be the same man, but again, memories fade with time.

Snipped by me.

The eyes, chin, and hairlines are probably accurate, but in the decedent's sketch, things like the wrinkles and mouth are often approximations or best guesses, as are the nose, tips of ears, and the like. They might be accurate, but they might be giving an appearance of similarity that isn't really there.

Snipped by me.

The eyes, chin, and hairlines are probably accurate, but in the decedent's sketch, things like the wrinkles and mouth are often approximations or best guesses, as are the nose, tips of ears, and the like. They might be accurate, but they might be giving an appearance of similarity that isn't really there.

Similarly, a sketch from someone's memory of seeing a person once 30 years ago, and then age progressing that sketch might distort facial characteristics. As I said, there isn't much to go on!

His height would be a good starting point. If he was 6'5", this is not Deep River man.

I keep wondering what is going on behind the scenes. I do hope the military have checked out this file.

Similarly, a sketch from someone's memory of seeing a person once 30 years ago, and then age progressing that sketch might distort facial characteristics. As I said, there isn't much to go on!

His height would be a good starting point. If he was 6'5", this is not Deep River man.

I keep wondering what is going on behind the scenes. I do hope the military have checked out this file.

Yeah really. It does seem like a possibility, at least. Fingers crossed.

Odds are that the dude in the NIS sketch was an 'airman' at some point vice a soldier. And, being that it's a historic case being handled by the NIS (National Investigation Service) instead of the Military Police proper, this Canadian Army girl would bet dollars to doughnuts, IMO, that the sketch is of a sexual assault suspect from an assault that happened in Winnipeg at a function [Mess Dinner where no name tags are worn on uniforms]. She/he (the victim) probably doesn't know the actual identity of the suspect, but recalls what they look like. We are finally in an era where these historic cases are being reported by the victims.

Winninpeg is an RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force, thus airmen & airwomen) Wing and Petawawa is a Canadian Army (therefore soldiers) base. Northbay is also RCAF.

CAR (Canadian Airborne Regiment) disbandment parade was held 4 March 1995 (a hell of a send off too - I have it on video to this day), and I doubt there is any connection what-so-ever with this unidentified deceased. I managed to find a video of clips of the Y2K iteration of the Petawawa Ironman (not really much in the way of public spectators to watch, just fellow soldiers, as this happens on-base): IRONMAN 2000 - Bing video

If the deceased was very fit and of a soldierly bearing/haircut etc, or any hint this guy may have served, the local authorities would have dealt with the base military police and headquarters (both at Northbay and at Petawawa) to determine if we were missing/AWOL anf troops or airmen at the time this poor gent was discovered.

BUT ... wonder if any USAF servicemen went missing/AWOL from Northbay where they also have a presence) due to NORAD.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamiestews06
Back