Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Snipped for focus. Eagle Creek would be a travel pack. Often, they're attached to a suitcase. Could his passport be with the suitcase? Weird he's carrying a plane ticket (with no name on it or traceable, like with a seat number?) and no passport.
See how he has 3 different lights? No spare clothes? No sleeping bag? This is super odd.
He was gonna do something in the woods.... not just hike around. I wonder if the candle is actually a "candle lantern", no comma. That would make more sense to me. That's a regular backpacking item, not so common now, but very common then.

This is not someone accustomed to hiking: he'd never dress like that. It's September, getting chilly. Hikers generally don't wear cotton: they wear synthetics or wool.
I tell ya, he's from Costa Rica.
Or.....crazy idea. Someone from Nicaragua who has fled over the border into CR. There's been a lot of vicious political turmoil in Nicaragua for decades (ummmm....a century?), so there are all kinds of exiles.

I guess I'd better read the whole thread.

Ontario enjoyed those extra warm summer days around 9/11, too, so he was probably dressed for the temperature. I don't think he was planning on spending the evening out in the elements. It's possible he was meeting someone. I also think he is not a resident or citizen of Canada. I lean to someone from Central or South America.

I'm also curious as to why he had a flashlight with him. And a laundry bag from a hotel. I don't think his death is related to foul play but I do wonder as to the reason he was in that area to begin with.

Ontario enjoyed those extra warm summer days around 9/11, too, so he was probably dressed for the temperature. I don't think he was planning on spending the evening out in the elements. It's possible he was meeting someone. I also think he is not a resident or citizen of Canada. I lean to someone from Central or South America.

I'm also curious as to why he had a flashlight with him. And a laundry bag from a hotel. I don't think his death is related to foul play but I do wonder as to the reason he was in that area to begin with.
I noticed a few things about Bret's (pseudonym) possessions. I thought perhaps he'd gone to an outdoor store and they advised him a bit. He evidently had a MagLite. Those are awesome, bright, and very packable. He had a candle lantern. This seems super odd to me, not because they aren't useful, but because they'd have to be on your radar. The candles in a candle lantern might last 9 hours or so, but why not just take extra batteries for the MagLite? Taking a flashlight of some kind doesn't bother me a bit. He might have been afraid he could possibly run late and get caught by darkness.

It looks like he had Wigwam brand (synthetic) socks and worn sneakers. Wigwam is a very nice brand. I can see a shop person advising him simply to stick with his current sneakers for the moment if he was a novice, but HAD to make sure the socks were appropriate (lots of reasons). They may have been in an end-of-season sales bin, and would be very sensible.

I see that some posters are imagining there's a sleeping bag and tent abandoned somewhere in the area. I can't envision that at all. Eagle Creek packs, if they're the kind that attach to luggage, don't fit very much, and don't have appropriate doodad loops on them. No way you're gonna carry a tent and sleeping bag. Also, it has to have been a small pack, because it seems to have had an airline tag on it: this was presumably for the cabin. If it had been for the hold, the claim stub would have linked to the person's ticket, and we'd have an identity. Anyway, if the pack was carryon, it's not a big pack. They're for sightseeing the Vatican, not for hiking except as a make-do. [Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my Eagle Creek stuff, every last little bit of it: for traveling.]

As to the hotel laundry bag, I'm guessing it's plastic. This would be useful for a thousand things, not least because you could line a day pack with it if you heard rain was in the forecast. Or, it could have been used to corral items in the pack. Hard to know without a size. If it was huge, a clever person in an outdoor store may have suggested it as a safety device or improvised rain jacket.

Last edited:
The major thing I can't explain about this case.... This is supposed to be in a very remote area. Then, how come someone was there just two-three days after Bret died, so they could find him in the outhouse?

I'd like to know a lot more about the find circumstances.

PS If I'm in a remote area, and nature calls, I'm not using an outhouse, unless maybe it's a composting privy. Just sayin'... Why would someone go looking there? And was the finder out there on a rainy day? I mean, why would someone be hiking on a less-traveled trail in the rain?

Last edited:
I can't rule out suicide, but an accidental overdose seems more likely to me. Many people abuse over-the-counter medications and supplements in the pursuit of losing weight or maintaining weight loss.
He might actually have gone on the hike to lose more weight, or at least thought he could.

He might actually have gone on the hike to lose more weight, or at least thought he could.
But the overriding question remains....why was he there? Deep River is not a 'destination' unless:

1) you are there to enjoy the beautiful rustic scenery (but an outdoorsy type wouldn't have been hiking dressed like Bret), or,
2) you are there for the nuclear plant. You're a scientist or associated with a scientist, or you are a spy or eco terrorist. Bret didn't dress like an eco terrorist. He traveled, clearly, and he didn't have ID. I know it's far-fetched, but was he doing something undercover and got caught? He wouldn't have been publicly associated with the nuclear facility because he would have been reported missing. He clearly wasn't known in Deep River.
3) He had a reason to be in Petawawa (20 - 25 minute drive away) at the Canadian Forces Base. Did he have a connection to the military?

Why were you in that particular area Bret??

Last edited:
But the overriding question remains....why was he there? Deep River is not a 'destination' unless:

1) you are there to enjoy the beautiful rustic scenery (but an outdoorsy type wouldn't have been hiking dressed like Bret), or,
2) you are there for the nuclear plant. You're a scientist or associated with a scientist, or you are a spy or eco terrorist. Bret didn't dress like an eco terrorist. He traveled, clearly, and he didn't have ID. I know it's far-fetched, but was he doing something undercover and got caught? He wouldn't have been publicly associated with the nuclear facility because he would have been reported missing. He clearly wasn't known in Deep River.
3) He had a reason to be in Petawawa (20 - 25 minute drive away) at the Canadian Forces Base. Did he have a connection to the military?

Why were you in that particular area Bret??
I'm having trouble visually imagining this area.

Snipped for focus.

I guess I don't believe it's at all weird for someone to be on the TransCanada highway and decide to take a break and go on a hike. Or have a deep think. He could find the location from a Deep River outfitters.
I don't think you'd have to be an outdoorsy type to do this. You could go on a whim. You could overhear a conversation at a café, get talking while getting a few supplies.... it's an attractive town to be at.
The temperature at Deep River at that time was around 50 degrees F. There seems to be some sort of recording error in the historic temperature, since the data moves wildly from 60 to 0 to 60 repeatedly in the space of an hour. I would guess the 0 refers to a non-recorded.
I can totally see a novice hiker dressed the way Bret was. I see it all the time, more often than not actually. Is it smart? Nope.

Last edited:
You can get to Deep River from Ottowa by bus. 3 hours.

Bret's luggage and ID could be in Ottowa (or equivalent). So, he takes a day trip, because someone says it's beautiful, and the trails are accessible. And he gets into Deep River at noonish, gets some lunch, and he’s ready for a little hike. But, if he’s leaving at that time of day, good idea to have a light, in case he gets caught by darkness.

Maybe he doesn’t even own a driver’s license. There would still be credit cards and a wallet. He’s either lost those, or they’re with his luggage. If he has the type of pack I’m thinking, it goes with a larger piece of luggage that can be used as a pack or carried like a suitcase. Often, these small packs zipper on to larger ones. They were on the market in 2001. I would expect that piece to be somewhere.

I wish the ME had taken a hair sample to check for long-term addiction, e.g. to the caffeine.

He could have got his shoes second-hand at a thrift store just for his little trip….

Bret would pretty much have had to go to an outdoor store to get that candle lantern, unless he picked it up secondhand… outdoor stores sell a lot of Mag lites, but probably other places as well. I suppose he could have had a teenie weenie Mag lite: I wish we had photos of his stuff.

I've been trying to find missing persons databases in CR. It's surprisingly difficult for a country with such good infrastructure, esp relative to Central America. There are a few government sites but most that I've found only go back ten years or so. I don't even know if it's worth trying to sort through any Nicaraguan databases.

Here is an article that has a photo of "Panchito," (click on the red box with white arrow to advance to the photo) a well-known case of a child who went missing from San Jose in 2001. I wish I could find the database that the screenshot of Panchito came from. Apparently the OIJ maintains the lists of missing persons but like I stated above I could only find the site with relatively recent cases.

Last edited:
Personas desaparecidas en Costa Rica

My ipad isn’t robust enough, but somewhere here:

Later. Now I see @annemc2 has this one ^^^^^

My Google search for 2001 is this. There are a lot of potential entries:
costa rica desaparecidos 2001

Get a load of this 2022 missing man: Tony Williams Guerrero Murillo, last seen Jan 4 2022.
Totally wrong dates, but splitting image. Aaaand note the combination of American names and Nicaraguan (Guerrero and Murillo were Sandinista families; cf a Murillo is current VP). Those names may also be prominent CR families (I dunno), but they were KEY families at the start of the Sandinista movement. These were very well-to-do families, offshore money.
I’m putting this example in here, because this might be the kind of person we’re looking for; not the exact one, but the type.

Last edited:
I can't figure out how to do a search on Charley Project where I'd end up with Florida missing men 2000. I keep getting 0. Anyone? I've been trying via Advanced Search.

Early news reports... He was found lying across the seat in the outhouse with an emergency blanket on top. It looked like he'd "gone to sleep for the night".

This is a good source for what we need here. I'm sure it's upthread, but I don't want to lose it.

Provincial police news release reprint:

That's my problem! There are too many! And I can't get a sort by ethnicity or height or even gender.
In earlier threads there was speculation that he may have come (from LA ?) to Ontario for the International Film festival, possibly Brett got ''lost'' in the shuffle of film & flight cancellations.imo. rbbm.
''The 26th Toronto International Film Festival ran from September 6 to September 15, 2001. There were 326 films (249 feature films, 77 short films) from 54 countries scheduled to be screened during the ten-day festival. During a hastily arranged press conference on September 11, Festival director Piers Handling and managing director Michelle Maheux announced that 30 public screenings and 20 press screenings would be cancelled during the sixth day of the festival due to the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York City and Washington, D.C.[1] The festival resumed for the final four days though some films were cancelled because the film prints could not reach Toronto due to flight restrictions.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9
Back