Identified! Canada - Laurentian Hills, WhtMale 28-40, 334UMON, eyeglasses, Sep'01 - Name withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Has a picture of BS "well worn" shoes been posted anywhere ?

Has a picture of BS "well worn" shoes been posted anywhere ?

Not that i'm aware of dotr. Yes, would be good after all this time if they'd publicize pictures of all items associated with Bret.

Do we know exactly where the body was found? "an outhouse near a cross-country ski trail" isn't very helpful to somebody who isn't familiar with the area...

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment, or map pointers.

Canada Trails

Cross Country Skiing in Ontario

Home > Cross Country Skiing > Ontario

ON111
Silver Spoon Trails in Deep River

Description | Ratings

Advertisements

Canada Trails report: No reports submitted for this destination
Been there recently? Submit a report

Trails: The Silver Spoon Trails in Deep River consist of 20 km of trails groomed for cross-country skiing by the Deep River Cross Country Ski Club and another 10 km of ungroomed trails. Four trails are groomed for both skating and classic technique. The club hosts the annual Silver Spoon Ski Fest in February.
There are two other ungroomed trail systems maintained by the club:
Cabin Trails, a network of 50 km of wilderness trails, just north of Algonquin Park
Forestry Trails at the Petawawa Research Forest, south of Chalk River, with 19 km of ungroomed trails.
Trail fees: Silver Spoon Trails: membership for frequent skiers or by donation for visitors
Tel: See the club website for contacts
Snow report:
Nearest town: Deep River, ON
Web site: Deep River Cross Country Ski Club | Valley Explorer Trails | Silver Spoon Classic
Trail map: Available on the DRXC website
Equipment rentals: No
Ski lessons: Programs for kids and adults
Other winter activities: Snowshoeing at Silver Spoon
Facilities: Chalet at Silver Spoon
Lodging on site: A backcountry cabin (7 km from the trailhead) on the Cabin trails can be rented from the club
Lodging nearby: Deep River has a few motels and other accommodations.
Weather forecast: Deep River
Tourism info: Deep River Tourism | Ottawa Valley Tourism
Location of trails: Silver Spoon Trails are located in Deep River on Balmer’s Bay Road, just past Banting Drive. Park at the hospital (on the left) or at the ski club chalet a little farther down the road on the right. The trails are on both sides of the road, the easier trails are on the north side.
There are two accesses to the Cabin Trails: at Josie Lane, a couple km northwest of Deep River on Hwy 17, and at the end of Bass Lake Road, 4 km northwest of Deep River on Hwy 17, just after Valley Ventures.
Petawawa Research Forest is on Clouthier Road, 5 km south of Chalk River on Hwy 17.
Map of local area: Silver Spoon Trails, Deep River

Rate this XC Area

Number of ratings: 1
Average rating: 4.50

Name of area: Deep River Cross Country
Times that I have skied there: Weekly
I last skied there in: Feb, 2003
Trails that I skied: D, R, X, C, M, S, B, H, F, L, P,
My favourite trails: F
Trail marking: Very good
Trail grooming: Fair
Rating: 4.5 stars
What I liked: the scenery is very wildernessy
the layout of the trails is fairly easy to follow with lots of maps
What I disliked:
Additional comments: don't ski into trees
Submitted by: JR
Date submitted: Feb 17, 2003

Rate this XC Area

Sponsored Links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't state anywhere the exact location that B.S was found, other than Laurentian Hills. So, if I had to make a guess I would say Clouthier Road is the closest access point to the trails from Laurentian Hills, which is located just west of Chalk River, then Deep River is the next town.

Canada Trails

Cross Country Skiing in Ontario

Home > Cross Country Skiing > Ontario

ON111
Silver Spoon Trails in Deep River

Description | Ratings

Advertisements

Canada Trails report: No reports submitted for this destination
Been there recently? Submit a report

Trails: The Silver Spoon Trails in Deep River consist of 20 km of trails groomed for cross-country skiing by the Deep River Cross Country Ski Club and another 10 km of ungroomed trails. Four trails are groomed for both skating and classic technique. The club hosts the annual Silver Spoon Ski Fest in February.
There are two other ungroomed trail systems maintained by the club:
Cabin Trails, a network of 50 km of wilderness trails, just north of Algonquin Park
Forestry Trails at the Petawawa Research Forest, south of Chalk River, with 19 km of ungroomed trails.
Trail fees: Silver Spoon Trails: membership for frequent skiers or by donation for visitors
Tel: See the club website for contacts
Snow report:
Nearest town: Deep River, ON
Web site: Deep River Cross Country Ski Club | Valley Explorer Trails | Silver Spoon Classic
Trail map: Available on the DRXC website
Equipment rentals: No
Ski lessons: Programs for kids and adults
Other winter activities: Snowshoeing at Silver Spoon
Facilities: Chalet at Silver Spoon
Lodging on site: A backcountry cabin (7 km from the trailhead) on the Cabin trails can be rented from the club
Lodging nearby: Deep River has a few motels and other accommodations.
Weather forecast: Deep River
Tourism info: Deep River Tourism | Ottawa Valley Tourism
Location of trails: Silver Spoon Trails are located in Deep River on Balmer’s Bay Road, just past Banting Drive. Park at the hospital (on the left) or at the ski club chalet a little farther down the road on the right. The trails are on both sides of the road, the easier trails are on the north side.
There are two accesses to the Cabin Trails: at Josie Lane, a couple km northwest of Deep River on Hwy 17, and at the end of Bass Lake Road, 4 km northwest of Deep River on Hwy 17, just after Valley Ventures.
Petawawa Research Forest is on Clouthier Road, 5 km south of Chalk River on Hwy 17.
Map of local area: Silver Spoon Trails, Deep River

Rate this XC Area

Number of ratings: 1
Average rating: 4.50

Name of area: Deep River Cross Country
Times that I have skied there: Weekly
I last skied there in: Feb, 2003
Trails that I skied: D, R, X, C, M, S, B, H, F, L, P,
My favourite trails: F
Trail marking: Very good
Trail grooming: Fair
Rating: 4.5 stars
What I liked: the scenery is very wildernessy
the layout of the trails is fairly easy to follow with lots of maps
What I disliked:
Additional comments: don't ski into trees
Submitted by: JR
Date submitted: Feb 17, 2003

Rate this XC Area

Sponsored Links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't state anywhere the exact location that B.S was found, other than Laurentian Hills. So, if I had to make a guess I would say Clouthier Road is the closest access point to the trails from Laurentian Hills, which is located just west of Chalk River, then Deep River is the next town.

So, is that closer to the nuclear plant than to DR?

Thanks, Sunshiny Day. That covers a lot of territory. And now I see what people mean about how far away the access points are. He could have walked quite a distance, 20 miles or more, but he doesn't have the gear to have camped overnight.

*goes to poke at map some more*

He did have the strangest list of hiking supplies I've ever seen. I guess any loose ends would have been tied up if the pathologist found an empty bottle of caffeine pills, then discovered he'd died of caffeine poisoning (no link yet). Kind of odd to take along acne medication, when a lot of that stuff makes a person's skin more sensitive to the sun. And hiking is done in the sun. Wouldn't sunblock have made more sense?

Maybe he stopped to make a camp he intended to spend several days in, and was out on a walk around the vicinity of his campsite when he was overcome with a sensation of illness and sought out the latrine... which he may have known about from having seen it on the way in or from a map. The majority of his stuff including tent and sleeping bag (or swag style bedroll? was the weather suitable for that sort of camping?) and extra food should be found within half a day's walk, since obviously he was not intending on being out overnight with those supplies.

Maybe he stopped to make a camp he intended to spend several days in, and was out on a walk around the vicinity of his campsite when he was overcome with a sensation of illness and sought out the latrine... which he may have known about from having seen it on the way in or from a map. The majority of his stuff including tent and sleeping bag (or swag style bedroll? was the weather suitable for that sort of camping?) and extra food should be found within half a day's walk, since obviously he was not intending on being out overnight with those supplies.

Yes, that would fit.

Depending where he stopped, the abandoned camp might not have been noticed, or never connected to him.

Yes, that would fit.

Depending where he stopped, the abandoned camp might not have been noticed, or never connected to him.

I wonder if the cabins are only available for rent during the winter season when the ski trails are open? Therefore, they wouldn't have checked them until December. But, you would think that if a man was found in the area, the police would have checked the cabins out?

Yes, that would fit.

I'm thinking that especially if his tent was a swag style thing (Americans call them bivvy tents, I think?) of a canvas color similar to the ground, then it may have been very difficult to find.

Or he could have been there with a companion who took off and left him. If so, I suspect the tent is still out there somewhere because he would have been asleep when his companion left. My experience of people who have been short term addicted to caffeine tablets (no-one I knew stayed longterm addicted, it just doesn't seem sustainable for more than a few months) is that they stay mostly awake for several days being frightfully obnoxious and obsessive, then they sort of crash and spend about a day to a day and a half being mostly asleep. It is very credible that after a few days to a week of this, especially the nightimes with an obsessive person who will not sleep, a friend would just up and leave while he was asleep. Since he would have been asleep in the tent, the friend would probably have left that tent.

Good point Carbuff,it might explain the "fairly worn" footwear and the sunburn.

If he's so hyped up he died of caffeine addiction, he might have walked in from quite a distance away -- he could have been walking for days.

Quite possibly, if he was alone with no-one to slow him down. He may have been walking dawn to dusk most days and quite resentful of the sun setting. Likely he didn't plan to walk that far, but did plan to be out as many days/weeks as he was... and then just found himself able to keep walking all day?

Visitors

Welcome
Restaurants
Interest
Phone Numbers
Miscellaneous
Hotels
Clubs

Related Links
Ottawa Valley Tourist Association (OVTA)
Municipal Office Town Departments Visitors Directory Newsroom >Home >Visitors >Welcome Visitors Welcome Visitors

TOWN OF LAURENTIAN HILLS

In northwest Renfrew County, the Town of Laurentian Hills awaits you in the heartland of Ontario's recreation system, situated in the valley of the Ottawa River, bordered by the Laurentian Mountains and Algonquin Provincial Park. In spring and summer, the area offers guided canoe trips, excellent fishing, swimming along pristine beaches, and a variety of accommodations from tent and trailer parks to B&Bs. Throughout the fall, hunters and anglers harvest an abundance of wild game and fish. Winter weather finds us on the Pembroke/North Bay TOP snowmobile trails and provides great weather conditions for cross country skiing. Midway between Ottawa and North Bay on Trans Canada Highway 17, the Town of Laurentian Hills stretches from the Ottawa River to Algonquin Provincial Park. Offering affordable land for new housing or cottages while providing all the amenities of modern living, Laurentian Hills is ideal for your family home. Contact our Economic Development office for information on availability of sites located in our industrial park located on both the rail line and the Trans- Canada Highway at Chalk River, or for other business opportunities.
Reaching from Algonquin Provincial Park to the Ottawa River, The Town of Laurentian Hills includes the settlement areas of Chalk River Village and the hamlets of Rolphton and Point Alexander. It also incorporates the former Townships of Rolph, Buchanan, Wylie and McKay, including the Petawawa Research Forest and a large segment of the Canadian Forces Base Petawawa training ranges. From Achray Road in the south to the Rapides des Joachims Hydro Generation dam in the north, the Town’s vast and pristine area offers fishing, hiking, canoeing, kayaking, snowmobiling and ATV activities that invite the resident and the tourist to year round enjoyment of the relaxed lifestyle of the most beautiful segment of the Ottawa Valley.

Town of Laurentian Hills
Phone: 613-584-3114
Fax: 613-584-3285

Email us at - info@town.laurentianhills.on.ca
Copyright© 2010 Town of Laurentian Hills

I was curious about what sort of man might wear a pinky ring and found some interesting
comments on this link,for example it can be trendy with lawyers. Also aquamarine is the birthstone for people born in March.
Now I am really wondering why BS was without his wallet, because a petty thief would have probably stolen the ring too,unless of course it was identity theft.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/32186

I was curious about what sort of man might wear a pinky ring and found some interesting
comments on this link,for example it can be trendy with lawyers. Also aquamarine is the birthstone for people born in March.
Now I am really wondering why BS was without his wallet, because a petty thief would have probably stolen the ring too,unless of course it was identity theft.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/32186

Everything about him says young professional or businessman -- not the kind of person who usually goes missing.

It wouldn't be surprising if he left his wallet in his car, camp, or motel room; guys tend to do that when they're hiking, at least around here. But then where was the car, camp, or motel room?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back