Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these two teens have been severely underestimated. Based on news reports, their vehicle was stopped by a First Nations safety officer in Manitoba Split Lake (July 22nd). Upon search, the safety officer stated in an interview that there were a “couple of boxes in the back”, as well as survival gear and maps. The teens were heading towards Gillam, as also stated in the interview. Gillam is an obvious rural town with minimal roadways. The road they were driving on comes to a dead end. Considering they had maps, they must have known this. Yet, out of all places to go & hide they chose Gillam? Additionally, they decided to burn their only means of transportation without any effort of concealment, and just run into the forest? I don’t think so. They boys are obviously not that intelligent seeing as they committed 3 “random” acts of murders, yet they have managed to evade RCMP, police, military, and citizens along with all the drones, aircraft, and technology that comes with it. They must receive some credit for carrying on this manhunt for almost 2 weeks now. My point is, they had maps and survival gear, thus I can only assume that their locations of travel & actions (burning their vehicle) are premeditated and planned out. Although it is possible they could be dead somewhere in the vast Canadian wilderness, part of me would rather see them alive so that we can get answers & motive in this interesting case. However, my condolences are with the families of the murder victims, justice must be served.

I thought the First Nations police fellow amended the report to say just two boxes and a suit (no maps or gear).

It's got to be frustrating for LE that witness statements are changing every time they talk to the media (or so it seems to me they are changing). You got the guy in Cold Water, the band members who checked their car when coming to Split Lake, and the Bear Clan members who were at York Landing. They're not big changes, but they seem like important details. I think the only sighting that has remained consistent is the young lady who works at the gas station in Split Creek.

With the check point at Split Creek they've said that BS & KM had camping supplies and maps, then it's two boxes and a suit. Are they planning to survive in the wilderness, or are they planning something dressy? I feel like knowing what was actually in the car would be helpful in trying to figure out what they were planning after ditching the Rav.

As much respect as I have for the members of Bear Clan, it's hard to trust their sighting when they can't even stick to what they say the two people they spotted were wearing. First it's said the two individuals were wearing the same clothing as seen in Meadow Lake SK, then it's a camo top and a gray sweatshirt. I was really hoping they'd be found when that sighting was made, but hearing the changing stories it's understandable why LE pulled out from YL to continue searching elsewhere.

That grainy photo of the Rav4 was released the day of the initial RCMP press conference that announced KM and BS were suspect and had been spotted in Saskatchewan approximately 20 hours earlier than the presser. Here is one media coverage of it...if you scroll down, they attribute the photo to the BC RCMP.

UPDATED: Manhunt underway for B.C. teens wanted in Alaska Highway deaths

Google tells me Gillam is appx 14 hours driving time from Meadow Lake and given they were spotted at Split Lake the following day (Monday), I’m really curious as to what time the Killam CBC radio station broadcasted the alert regarding these two.

There are also conflicting media reports about the day and time the RAV4 was found burning on the Fox Lake Cree First Nations Land, Monday or Tuesday, although the Chief indicated the RCMP were immediately notified because the locals feared a crash with occupants inside.

The reason I’m curious - did these two know a national alert had been issued for them before or after the RAV4 was found burning? I’m disappointed the media can’t be bothered to put an precise timeline together, including specific times and dates, considering they’ve interviewed all the same people who’s stories they’re featuring.

From July 20 CTV news, posted in media thread:

"Witnesses who spoke with the couple Sunday said their camper van had broken down but they declined help.

The couple told people they thought the engine had flooded and they’d be able to wait a while and then start the van and carry on.

Monday morning they were found dead.

“It still doesn’t seem real,” said Chynna’s mother Sheila Deese. “Chynna travelled so much for the last year and a half. But she always came home so I’m still hoping.”

According to the Deese family, the couple met while travelling in Europe and forged a love story over the last two years.

They had already toured much of North America, as well as Colombia and Peru.

As the investigation unfolds, electronic signs on the Alaska Highway urge drivers to share dash cam video with the RCMP.

RCMP remain tight-lipped about the investigation but say nothing indicates the homicides are linked to other crimes. They don’t believe there are heightened risks to public safety
"

Yes and there's even discrepancies in the patrol guys stopping K&B and searching the vehicle.
They said when they searched the vehicle they just seen a couple of boxes kind of a thing and a suitcase.
But others said there was a bunch of camping gear in the back.

So lots of discrepancies in Witnesses and media posts and articles.
And then there's everybody's theories mixed in with all of that.

Not being unkind, but this is how it happens. I thought they said they said they found a couple of boxes and a suit. Yet your post says a suitcase..which could be auto correct. Or was there a suitcase?

I think these two teens have been severely underestimated. Based on news reports, their vehicle was stopped by a First Nations safety officer in Manitoba Split Lake (July 22nd). Upon search, the safety officer stated in an interview that there were a “couple of boxes in the back”, as well as survival gear and maps. The teens were heading towards Gillam, as also stated in the interview. Gillam is an obvious rural town with minimal roadways. The road they were driving on comes to a dead end. Considering they had maps, they must have known this. Yet, out of all places to go & hide they chose Gillam? Additionally, they decided to burn their only means of transportation without any effort of concealment, and just run into the forest? I don’t think so. They boys are obviously not that intelligent seeing as they committed 3 “random” acts of murders, yet they have managed to evade RCMP, police, military, and citizens along with all the drones, aircraft, and technology that comes with it. They must receive some credit for carrying on this manhunt for almost 2 weeks now. My point is, they had maps and survival gear, thus I can only assume that their locations of travel & actions (burning their vehicle) are premeditated and planned out. Although it is possible they could be dead somewhere in the vast Canadian wilderness, part of me would rather see them alive so that we can get answers & motive in this interesting case. However, my condolences are with the families of the murder victims, justice must be served.

good points- i agree
i'll even go so far as suggest their video from the store was a staged event

So a site specifically regarding the Alaska Highway would not be used by those who live in Alaska? Sounds reasonable to me but that's just my opinion.

I'm not saying it's a credible site information-wise, but that article was from July 16th.
Someone was asking. I was offering assistance.

No, this is mostly for tourists I think. I'm in the Yukon and do recall this site being one of the first that is kind of local to report on the murders though. Our media was SUPER quiet, they did zero digging when the news first came out. So I suspect it didn't even raise any interest in Alaska. Plus they have a lot of crap going on right now - cuts to Universities, etc. that are taking centre stage.

For those interested in learning more about online gaming communities and the opportunity they offer for extensive communication between members, there is a tragic case that just happened in Toronto/Markham where 4 people were found murdered: CANADA - Menhaz Zaman, 23, Markham, Toronto, Suspect in Quadruple Homicide - Markham Family Murders

Not much on the thread yet as it just started but MSM reporting about the online gaming world is facinating. I wonder how deeply involved the 2 suspects in this cases were in that world and I wonder if RCMP has been actively monitoring communication on the various platforms?

I am posting this information ONLY to provide a source for folks that might not know too much about online gaming communities to learn more about it. I am in NO WAY making a comment that these communities or gaming in general had ANYTHING to do with why the 2 suspects have done what they seem to have done.

I am always curious to learn as much about suspects as possible and not knowing much about the online gaming communities, I was facinated to fall down the rabbit hole last night reading about the Toronto case murder suspect and how he spent his time actively involved in these communities to effectively set up a fantasty world for himself as he withdrew from the day to day life that most of us enjoy with no question!

Edit to add link to article about trends in online gaming communities and psychological issues:

Cybersecurity expert Daniel Tobok said he wasn’t surprised when he heard that quadruple homicide suspect Menhaz Zaman allegedly shared the details of the killings in on an online gaming chat group, called Perfect World, before and after the murders.

“There’s been an emerging trend in the past five to seven years,” said Tobok.

“What we’re seeing today is, with a lot of the social media platforms, a gateway — [to] have a new way to communicate your message, have a lot of viewers either commenting or being a part of that.”

Tobok adds that the world of gaming has ‘exploded’ over the past few years, and even though most of the online chatter is about gameplay, people have started using it as a platform to discuss more heinous activities. [BBM]

MOO

I think this is where plans may have been made known, in communication with others in the gaming community. I do think there was a plan, a script, before they set off. One gamer was interviewed about his interesting interactions in the past with BS. What's to say BS or KM didn't have other interactions with other gamers more recently?

Computers and other materials were seized from both the homes of KM and BS. The truck fire destroyed others.

The Markham story has shown that people sometimes use their real names, with no attempt to conceal their identity. That is another parallel to this case, verified by the Cold Lake witness.

I thought the First Nations police fellow amended the report to say just two boxes and a suit (no maps or gear).

Yes indeed.

Contrary to previous media reports, Saunders said he didn't notice any maps or camping gear in the vehicle — just two boxes and a suit.

"I didn't see no camping gear, no maps, no weapons, no drugs or alcohol."

'They seemed paranoid'

Saunders said the men matched photos of the suspects the RCMP have released, but the two were wearing different clothes, adding no one was in camouflage.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/first-nation-constable-stopped-homicide-suspects-1.5230779

I apologize right off the bat here for going over old ground, but I'm trying to get something clear in my mind and I can't find the posts on these 10 threads and 500+ pages of comments. Please help me out here or at least set me straight that it's irrelevant:

RCMP announce on July 23 that KM and BS are suspects, are fleeing and provide photos of them from the day before in Saskatchewan in the Co-op and we're to assume in that grainy Rav4. That is, they were seen a day before they were suspects and the RCMP were notified.

I don't believe an employee called the RCMP about these two in Meadow Lake, because at that time they were just two teens missing from two provinces away.

There had been speculation on here that perhaps the two had used stolen credit or debit cards and that triggered an alert of their use at the Co-op and notified LE. I don't see them buying anything in this video.

If a traffic/red light camera caught the Rav4 speeding and snapped a shot of the plate and that's how RCMP were alerted, that implies LE knew the plate number and registered owner of the Rav4 days before they announced the identity of LD.

Can someone help me understand how RCMP might have become aware of this stop in Meadow Lake and have the video footage before most of Canada knew about these two as suspects? If they had this video/information 20 hours earlier than the announcement that BS and KM were suspects in three murders, might that have made a difference?

Maybe it doesn't even matter, but I'm curious simply from an investigative viewpoint and wanting to make sure no leaps/cognitive bias is leaking into thought process here...or by LE for that matter.

No, this is mostly for tourists I think. I'm in the Yukon and do recall this site being one of the first that is kind of local to report on the murders though. Our media was SUPER quiet, they did zero digging when the news first came out. So I suspect it didn't even raise any interest in Alaska. Plus they have a lot of crap going on right now - cuts to Universities, etc. that are taking centre stage.

Media elsewhere did not jump all over this story either, in the beginning.

I have not read that, could you please link me to that article. All of the reports I have seen have confirmed maps and survival gear. Just 4 hours ago the guardian published this article confirming the same thing.

Canada manhunt: suspects were let go after being stopped at checkpoint

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/first-nation-constable-stopped-homicide-suspects-1.5230779

Contrary to previous media reports, Saunders said he didn't notice any maps or camping gear in the vehicle — just two boxes and a suit.

IIRC it was two different people, both reportedly band police members who stopped the car. But sometimes I wonder if the media even bothers confirming the capacity and identity of their sources due to the competitive race of creating breaking and most read news headlines.

Yes indeed.

'They seemed paranoid'

Saunders said the men matched photos of the suspects the RCMP have released, but the two were wearing different clothes, adding no one was in camouflage.

All these conflicting new reports & witnesses being inconsistent with their stories surely have the RCMP on a goose chase. It seems that all this media attention is only helping these 2 teens further evade capture

Since McLeod and Schmegelsky arrived in Gillam nine days ago, temperatures have been as low as 7°C/45°F and there has been a lot of rain. Two years ago, two German canoeists, experienced and well outfitted, lost their canoe in rapids and had to walk to Gillam through the woods. With layered clothing, topo maps and orienteering skills, it took them 11 days to walk 115km/70 miles.

Every day that passes with no sighting makes it more probable that they have died of hypothermia or murder/suicide.

Normally I'd say good if they're dead, BUT I want them to found alive so they can give us a reason why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member