Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The meeting was closed to reporters. The RCMP search has drawn intense media attention from Canadian and Australian media organizations.

One of the homicide victims was Australian Lucas Fowler, 23, the son of the chief inspector for the New South Wales police. He was found shot to death on July 15 along with his American girlfriend, Chynna Deese, 24, near the Liard Hot Springs, south of the B.C.-Yukon boundary.

Four days later, the body of Vancouver resident Leonard Dyck, 64, a sessional lecturer at the University of British Columbia’s botany department, was discovered on a road near Dease Lake, about 500 kilometres southwest of the hot springs. RCMP have identified Mr. Schmegelsky and Mr. McLeod from Port Alberni, B.C., as suspects in the three deaths.

A funeral for Mr. Fowler was held at a Sydney church Friday and broadcast by an Australian television station.

Stephen Fowler said his son, the youngest of four children, led a rambunctious, free-spirited life that included an inspiring love story. Almost always wearing a white T-shirt and low-hanging jeans, the long-haired Aussie met Ms. Deese while travelling in Croatia.

[...]

He said his son secured a two-year working visa in Canada, and went to work on a ranch in British Columbia where he often spent his downtime talking to Ms. Deese on Facetime.

He wanted to buy an old school bus to travel in, but settled on a van that he fixed up for the pair’s latest adventure to Northern B.C., Yukon and Alaska. He sent photos of his progress on the van to his family in Australia and was “proud as punch” when he finished it, Mr. Fowler said.

“Lucas lived a life that many of us envied. He didn’t just dream of travelling. He worked and saved and made it happen,” his father recounted. “He lived off the smell of an oily rag to get to places we had never heard of, and, along the way, forged many friendships. He met the love of his life and was at his happiest.”

The scaled-back police search for Mr. Schmegelsky and Mr. McLeod continued on Friday. RCMP Inspector Leon Fiedler said officers had returned to where the torched SUV was found to again scan the dense, insect-laden bush for clues.

Gillam holds community meeting to discuss search for teen fugitives

Abbie O'Brien‏ @AOBrien_news
“We had a lifetime of good times, and like always, we couldn’t keep up with you and you’ve taken this final adventure without us.” Friends of Lucas Fowler pay tribute to the “fearless” and “free spirited” 23-year-old. @SBSNews

7:18 PM - 1 Aug 2019

Abbie O'Brien‏ @AOBrien_news
“Lucas lived a life many of us envied. He didn’t just dream of travelling, he worked and saved and made it happen.” Steve Fowler, father of Lucas Fowler, delivers an emotional eulogy at his son’s memorial service in Sydney. @SBSNews

EA7e8qnUEAAcpfu.jpg

6:54 PM - 1 Aug 2019

Considering how much time has passed, the lack of confirmed sightings, no reports of further crimes, and the likelihood that they found themselves without a vehicle; I think they are probably hiding out in the woods.

And if they are hiding out in the woods, they are quite likely dead by now, and may have been for some time.

I think the next big thing we hear is that their bodies have been discovered.

Whenever the hell that is.

Imho they can make it till winter at which point it would be more life threatening probably because they prepared living in the woods for the past two years, plus learned skills from that game Rust. There was a guy in Maine who lived in the woods for decades hunting, fishing and gathering wild fruit and vegetables.

Imho they can make it till winter at which point it would be more life threatening probably because they prepared living in the woods for the past two years, plus learned skills from that game Rust. There was a guy in Maine who lived in the woods for decades hunting, fishing and gathering wild fruit and vegetables.

People have done it.

Generally though, those people are both well prepared, and have a great deal of experience and knowledge.

I’m not sure these two had either of those things, and that particular area is not an easy one to survive in.

It’s tough to both hide from the entire country, and do the things you need to do to sustain yourself.

I think if the elements don’t get them (if they haven’t already), they will kill themselves (if they haven’t already done that too).

I am glad the thread is back open for discussion. I have become so fascinated by this case that not being able to read the opinions and scenarios offered by others was like suffering withdrawal.

A thought did occur to me that seems silly and unlikely. Maybe the teenagers decided to just make a trek out of this and visit all the Canadian provinces. So far, we know they have been in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. They were originally headed for Yukon. Working east, Ontario and Quebec would be next.

Of course, opposing that scenario is the fact they no longer have the vehicle they started their trip with...and it's unlikely they thought of stealing others' vehicles when they left BC...and then burning them at intervals.

I am glad the thread is back open for discussion. I have become so fascinated by this case that not being able to read the opinions and scenarios offered by others was like suffering withdrawal.

A thought did occur to me that seems silly and unlikely. Maybe the teenagers decided to just make a trek out of this and visit all the Canadian provinces. So far, we know they have been in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. They were originally headed for Yukon. Working east, Ontario and Quebec would be next.

Of course, opposing that scenario is the fact they no longer have the vehicle they started their trip with...and it's unlikely they thought of stealing others' vehicles when they left BC...and then burning them at intervals.

I’ve been thinking the same thing! Not that they necessarily planned to make a cross country road trip initially, but once they got themselves in this situation, this might have become their new goal. Though if they do end up in the Maritimes, I think there is a far better chance they’ll be caught, as those provinces are much less vast than, say, Manitoba or Ontario. Fewer places to hide.

The massive hunt for two teenagers suspected of shooting dead Australian tourist Lucas Fowler and his US girlfriend Chynna Deese has moved to the eastern Canadian province of Ontario with police receiving more than 30 tips within an eight-hour period.

One unconfirmed sighting of the duo in recent days was of "a suspicious" white vehicle driving through a construction zone on a highway in the small community of Kapuskasing, Ontario.

Canadian teen hunt moves to Ontario

One of these sightings could be real or there's just a lot of young guys out there who look like this pair.
Imo, they're dead but until their bodies are found these sightings will continue to come in and have to be taken seriously. The distance is over 5000km, and no sightings travelling to Ontario?

People have done it.

Generally though, those people are both well prepared, and have a great deal of experience and knowledge.

I’m not sure these two had either of those things, and that particular area is not an easy one to survive in.

It’s tough to both hide from the entire country, and do the things you need to do to sustain yourself.

I think if the elements don’t get them (if they haven’t already), they will kill themselves (if they haven’t already done that too).

no indication that they have any winter clothing, rain gear, tools or other supplies. if they were going to live through winter, they would need to be stockpiling fish and meat now, unless they just plan on more theft.

what is the chance that they could have found a pilot to take them somewhere in a small plane, either for money or through intimidation?

I don't think they're well-enough prepared to survive in the woods much longer. I believe that was them at the dump, and if they're already scavenging like that, then they don't have necessary supplies IMO.

I don't think they're well-enough prepared to survive in the woods much longer. I believe that was them at the dump, and if they're already scavenging like that, then they don't have necessary supplies IMO.

I thought that was likely them at the dump too, but then RCMP said no scent picked up by the dogs. would they dare go back to that dump? are there any other trash receptacles in that town?

People have done it.

I’m not sure these two had either of those things, and that particular area is not an easy one to survive in. ...

Yes, indeed. They'd also need supplies and equipment. A couple of hints suggest that they were not well prepared: they left a multi-tool to burn, and were careless with their matches.

We could make a list of items that they would have needed to sustain hiding in the bush for two weeks. Would it become evident that the needed equipment and supplies would be too cumbersome for them to carry?

what is the chance that they could have found a pilot to take them somewhere in a small plane, either for money or through intimidation?
I thought about this a lot, but it is difficult to escape by plane.

They needed to have already arranged a float plane and pilot to be waiting at a relatively calm lake. They would still have to hike there.

If they escaped Gillam area, it was probably by car, driven by a local accomplice. I am sure RCMP is checking all known connections.

I doubt it. I think they're gone from there now ... but where?

Prior to the world knowing they were alleged killers, the teens were already headed to Gillam in the Rav4. I believe they must have been paranoid during this drive because they were not even driving the main road when they were got stuck in Cold Lake, and eventually helped back on the road to Meadow Lake where they were seen at the Co-op.

Until the sighting at York Landing, I thought they probably had a ride out of Gillam as soon as they put the Rav4 in a ditch and torched it.

As for the sighting in York Landing, I'm no longer sure the teens were ever at the dump. I believe the dogs would have tracked them that night as the RCMP had the perimeter established in 30 minutes or less.

At this point, if they didn't succumb in the bush -- perhaps trying to get to York Landing, --then I think they got a ride out of Gillam right after burning the Rav4.

MOO

Last edited:

Kam/Bryer were seen at the Jade, BC area during the morning of July 18, which is near Yukon-BC border, too far from Greater Vancouver area.

When they were considered "missing" RCMP clearly implied they had "returned to BC" for unknown reasons.

So we can assume RCMP knew they were in Yukon after July 14/15 murder of Lucas/Chynna and returned to BC on July 17/18.

...So far, we know they have been in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. They were originally headed for Yukon. Working east, Ontario and Quebec would be next.

They might have planned to do this, but it would be a conspicuous journey by vehicle. They'd have only one option, and that's to cross into Ontario at Kenora. That's a 13 hr drive from Gillam. Then they'd continue with only one option for driving across Ontario, and that's to stay on the Trans Canada for another five hours.

Can they make it that far without leaving a trail of evidence? There is no evidence that they have left the Fox Lake Cree Nation area.

There are actually more options for them to escape into the US than to drive into ON.

I'm not really sure what I think has happened to BS and KM at this point. As has been said, with the amount of time that has passed since a confirmed sighting, and with no more recent reported suspicious deaths or vehicle thefts, I am inclined to agree that they are likely dead, or dying, at this point. Several people here feel suicides are possible. I don't know why I feel as I do, but I have never, and still do not get the sense that they would do that. If dead, unless it is due to an accident like drowning or such, BS perhaps would be the first to go, as he seems to be the much thinner of the two. IIRC, at some point, earlier in this case, I seem to remember that there was a reported sighting of the two, very possibly unconfirmed, and the person reporting them stated that one of them was limping. Now, if one was badly injured or near death, I do think perhaps the other may kill him, to put him out of his misery, but more importantly, so that he would not be a burden on the other's movement. But then I also feel that if one died, the other would be far more likely to come out of hiding and give up. I do still think it is very possible that they are both alive and well, though I think the odds of that are well less than 50/50 at this point, and getting lower with each passing day. I also think if they are alive and well, they probably are not in the bush. All JMO and MOO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members