Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confident the RCMP in BC have all the information from Mr. Dyck's family on what date he left home for Dease Lake area and so forth. Without the killer's confessions that we know of the police will and are piecing everything to the best of their ability with all the evidence they have already accumulated since July 15.

I just hope we find out about the pork chop. Whose was it and who half-ate it?

Evidence was found on the shore, bodies were found 1 km from the evidence and 8 km from the car.

"RCMP say they found “several items” directly linked to a pair of B.C. murdersuspects along the banks of the Nelson River on Friday."​

Manitoba RCMP say ‘several items’ found on shoreline linked to B.C. murder suspects

"The bodies were discovered within 1km from where the items were found."​

Canadian police find bodies of murder suspects

View attachment 197388

Thanks for the map. It's all such a strange story to me. These two on the road to nowhere. What an end to their lives. And for what?

So hard to understand what prompts a couple young people like that to turn so weird.

People who are critical of the RCMP need to get out an old-fashioned paper map to realize the awesome vastness of Canada's north, not to mention the very dense forest. Spotters in a plane would have a very hard time seeing anything on the ground. In the end, they did spot the boat on the shore from the air which led to the chain of events resulting in finding the bodies. It helped them narrow the search.

Bravo! I'm actually still amazed they found them even with the area narrowed. It's mind boggling how vast and impenetrable that area is.

My thought is if they'd pulled up to shore intentionally they would have had the sleeping bag, water bottle etc with them, not lost to the river. It makes me think they had to ditch due to the condition of the boat (as we saw). What time they had left on shore must have been miserable, eaten alive by bugs and possibly succumbed to hypothermia. If they'd surrendered they could have had a hot meal and a bed.

Yes, it must have been miserable. Evidently their bodies were found in a favorite moose hunting area for a local man quoted in this article.

Teen murder suspect fugitives never travelled far and probably not for long

(c) Make a plan and equip yourself accordingly and then get the hell off the grid and live happily ever after. Not all criminals are as naive and haphazard as these two and many are infinitely more dangerous. If they weren't aware that getting off the grid up north was an option, they might be now and that could make people in those areas more vulnerable.

As for lessons learned, I was thinking along the lines of increasing cell coverage, more highway cams, improved response times to call-outs, what resources were effective, what wasn't, that kind of thing.

That's impossible. That area is far too vast and massive to equip with enough cell phone satellite towers and highway cams to make a difference. The cost would be insane and impossible with little reason for it.

As to improved response time I feel like it's always easy to criticize the pros from the sideline.

I don't see anything they did really wrong under such conditions.

We know the window of the van was broken. I assume the two murdered the three travelers for their money and supplies.
Actually MOO I am convinced everything was planned and their primary reason was to kill for the thrill, I feel at the end of the road they planned their joint suicide, because they knew in relations to their video gaming and survivalist mentalities etc....that giving up to the RCMP was not an option in their minds - it would be considered defeat, their only 'win' would be to exit this world on their terms. In their gaming world it would be 'weak' to give up. They martyrized themselves even if only in their own heads.

Actually MOO I am convinced everything was planned and their primary reason was to kill for the thrill, I feel at the end of the road they planned their joint suicide, because they knew in relations to their video gaming and survivalist mentalities etc....that giving up to the RCMP was not an option in their minds - it would be considered defeat, their only 'win' would be to exit this world on their terms. In their gaming world it would be 'weak' to give up. They martyrized themselves even if only in their own heads.

I think they planned their thrill kill trip as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they (or Schmegelsky) had already done it once before, in Port Alberni, or thereabouts. Awful for their victims, and all the families. Gotta be hard for their relatives too, that their sweet boys turned into warped murderers.

This may be delving a bit too far into wild theory territory, but I've been wondering if their apparently short-notice departure from Port Alberi might have had a reason, such as worries about being prosecuted for crimes there. So, I checked the Alberni Valley crimestoppers page, looking for unsolved crimes that might fit this theory. I found one that MIGHT. It has a photo, a photo that to me looks a very great deal like one of the suspects (however, I'm awful at recognizing faces, so see what you think);

Here's the page for the crime, a burglary of a co-op March 31st,
File #2019-3033 | Alberni Valley Crime Stoppers
and here's a link to the suspect photo on that page,
https://avcrimestoppers.ca/sites/de...co-op march 31 face pic 1_4.jpg?itok=BC3RzJJC

This may be delving a bit too far into wild theory territory, but I've been wondering if their apparently short-notice departure from Port Alberi might have had a reason, such as worries about being prosecuted for crimes there. So, I checked the Alberni Valley crimestoppers page, looking for unsolved crimes that might fit this theory. I found one that MIGHT. It has a photo, a photo that to me looks a very great deal like one of the suspects (however, I'm awful at recognizing faces, so see what you think);

https://avcrimestoppers.ca/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/2019-04/co-op march 31 face pic 1_4.jpg?itok=BC3RzJJC
Interesting. I was following you until I got to the part where the thief was picked up by dark sedan (and we know his friend does not drive)!

I don't know -- it seemed to me their needs were being met, and I don't see them as petty thieves. But I didn't see them as random thrill killers either so scratch everything I just said. :eek:

Interesting. I was following you until I got to the part where the thief was picked up by dark sedan (and we know his friend does not drive)!

I don't know -- it seemed to me their needs were being met, and I don't see them as petty thieves. But I didn't see them as random thrill killers either so scratch everything I just said. :eek:

I'm undecided on whether BS could drive. We know he didn't have a driver's license, and his father, I believe, said he could not drive, but his father lived in Victoria, and might not know. (and if BS was driving to aid in crimes, I can sure see why he might not volunteer the info that he could drive).

When I learned to drive, my high school instructor took me (and several others) to a parking lot, and had us drive. I was the last of the three, so I also had to drive back to the school via a fairly busy street, though it was only a mile. I was 15. Unless there was some medical issue, I have a hard time fathoming a teen being unable to drive an automatic on a quiet street, even if they've never been behind the wheel before.

However, it's a stretch, a big one, to think that a minor crime like this would lead to a murder spree. I just thought I saw a resemblance in the suspect photo, and probably fell into the logical trap of trying to force-fit that crime to my admittedly-offbeat theory. :)

I think I'm trying to find logical patterns where they may be none. There is so much about this case that makes no sense, including things like the suspects giving their real names in Cold Lake, and heading down a dead-end highway system that left them with no way out, and floating down a river in a fishing float that, even if they survived, they'd find themselves stranded on the shores of Hudson's Bay, a polar bear sanctuary, in a season when the polar bears are trying to fatten up for winter. Maybe they were just deranged, and thus did deranged things. I suspect we'll never know.

I, too, wonder whether there will ever be closure on this case. If the two teens did it, we will never have full answers, nor a reason as to why this tragedy happened.
The cause and manner of their deaths may provide some clues. I’m not convinced by a suicide pact within 1km of the river.
I still wonder about the man who was seen arguing with the couple on the night before they died.
In the end, it’s all terribly sad.

https://avcrimestoppers.ca/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/2019-04/co-op march 31 face pic 1_4.jpg?itok=BC3RzJJC

Isn't that interesting? I wonder if the police in Port Alberni are checking into possible crimes the two could have committed, perhaps to make $$ for their trip, or to purchase items, etc. It's not an impossible theory. There was a letter to the editor in the Port Alberni news link I posted earlier, about vehicles being broken into, security having to be installed, etc, by a resident. That was attributed to a drug-rehab house that had moved into his neighborhood recently though. I wonder if the police have looked into all the purchases, the suspects made at Walmart as well.

Regarding the bodies found Wednesday (assuming they are, indeed, KM and BS)...

It seems likely that at some point they did take the river route...overturned (I am assuming they were in some kind of boat and didn't attempt to swim) and one of them, perhaps, banged their head on a rock and was knocked unconscious. The other one managed to drag him to the shore..started into the deep forest..and collapsed from exhaustion.

Then, at some point, both boys perished without ever moving from their final resting location.

To me, that seems the most likely scenario, given what has come to light the last few days combined with what RCMP revealed on Wednesday.

From your link -
“He knew the sleeping bag could be significant because he was one of handful of local residents who had been helping the RCMP scour the river and shoreline for any sign of fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod.”

Has there been anything more said about where the sleeping bag was found? I've seen it mentioned that it was found in Port Nelson, but that seems highly unlikely.

I've also wondered about that. What kind of conversations did they have during all those hours of their very long drive across the continent, for that matter? What could you talk about on a road trip after killing three people? Did they not realize just how huge the search effort would be and decided to end it when they realized just how f-ed they were?

Agreed. I think they got their punishment. They most likely died a terrifying, lonely, unpleasant death, completely alone in the world. They missed out on so much of life. I doubt, being out there, that they felt their decisions were worth it in the end.

And also now the families of the victims won't have to deal with years of them going through a trial, which would have happened if they were found alive. And while it must be really hard for their families, at least they don't have to experience a lifetime of worrying about them in prison (because I doubt they would fare well in prison) and having a spotlight shone on their families forever through the trial and any developments in their incarceration.

Well said. It's inspired me to try to be a better person. This week I started volunteering at a food pantry and needle exchange. It's not much but I feel like this whole case has reminded me of the bigger questions in life, and what it means to have a meaningful life. Even if you're not the most successful, wealthy, confident, popular, etc. person, or any of those other societal markers of a "good life," I think we all have to do what we can to fight against all the dark s*** in the world.
I jave been wondering why two kids decided to do this. Do we need to take a good honest look at how we are raising our young people? I think the problem is four fold: 1. absence of a strong moral role model, 2. violent video games, 3. access to guns 4. Glamorisation of violence in the media.

Has there been anything more said about where the sleeping bag was found? I've seen it mentioned that it was found in Port Nelson, but that seems highly unlikely.
I thought the guide spotted it in willows growing along the banks, where Nelson River meets the lake, near York Factory. That's quite a ways downstream from Little Limestone falls.

The sleeping bag was spotted around 11 a.m. floating near Port Nelson, where the Nelson River spills into Hudson Bay.

“They were on their way to Port Nelson to find the sleeping bag and that’s when they [spotted] the boat,” Mr. Sawchuk recounted.

I thought the guide spotted it in willows growing along the banks, where Nelson River meets the lake, near York Factory. That's quite a ways downstream from Little Limestone falls.

Yes, it's so far downstream that it doesn't make sense. I can believe that the guide spotted it while enroute to Port Nelson, but not in Port Nelson.

I suppose we need to hear the exact words that came from the guide's mouth, rather than merely read the reporters' writeup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member