Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
By that reasoning, RCMP just need to grab a piece of a burnt vehicle with the VIN, and ignore everything else.

Imagine Prof. Dyck had a safety deposit box, and that key is missing from the bunch. Just a hypothetical scenario, but keys shouldn't be left on the road.
even a house key. his wife likely wouldn't feel too safe with a key to her house laying on the ground.

I believe the mystery man seen standing in the middle of the highway at 11.30pm, the last person ever actually seen with Chynna and Lucas, should be considered a serious suspect, for some reason the police appear to have almost completely ignored his existence. Is this because they developed tunnel vision too early in the case? I do not believe there is much evidence to link Bryer and Kam to Chynna and Lucas, if there is, why so secretive. I feel the police are scrounging for it, and have left the other person who should have been followed up immediately until it is almost too late. Probably if they rush back to check security footage for him, it could be gone. Why have they not told the public he has been found and interviewed? He is a major witness in the case either way?

I’m probably putting my foot in my mouth here but is there a possibility there was no man at 11:30 at night that uncannily resembles the missing Texan? Maybe she was too fearful to stop in the middle of the night? If I am out of line please delete.

Alan Schmegelsky, Bryer's dad, is going to be on an episode of "60 Minutes" in Australia this coming Sunday to talk about this case. I think we will hear a lot more from him. He's been the most outspoken family member right from the start. I don't doubt he's heart broken, but I think he somewhat likes the attention or is just a talkative guy. I also think he even mentioned himself that he has substance abuse issues or mental health issues, which makes it even more likely he'll continue his emotional spiels
jmo!
Do you know the taping date of this episode?

I'm thinking it would have to precede authorities recovering the bodies of BS and KM.

These shows are usually taped a month or so ahead.

I’m probably putting my foot in my mouth here but is there a possibility there was no man at 11:30 at night that uncannily resembles the missing Texan? Maybe she was too fearful to stop in the middle of the night? If I am out of line please delete.
too fearful to stop so just make up a story? he either was there or he wasn't, too afraid to stop should not equal a made up description.

The sleeping bag prompted the search of the river which found the boat which found the items on the riverbank.

In this Winnipeg Free Press article which unfortunately appears to be paylocked, but wasn’t last night, it’s reported when asked the RCMP refused to confirm the sleeping bag led to the discovery. They also denied they hired a Professional Trapper, as was reported by the Globe.

Traumatized Gillam, Fox Lake residents get back to life after manhunt

If he doesn't exist why don't they just come out and say that to the public? So the person who reported seeing this "mystery man" out there on the highway late at night is lying? Hmm why would they lie about such a thing? Just wondering out loud again...
Yes, it sounds like it was an unusual experience that frightened her. I doubt she would just make it up (but know nothing about her!). I had originally thought if she had called the Police as soon as she saw the incident and felt worried, maybe Lucas and Chynna would not have been murdered, but then after learning it would take around 4 hours at the fastest for LE to arrive, it would have probably not made any difference in preventing their deaths unfortunately.

Last edited:
I do believe that subjects of the Queen use the "u." Mr. Noah Webster has set things to rights with us Americans

"Subjects of the Queen" who work as reporters for newspapers use CP style in Canada. Many Canadians are using American spellings, too, or we use an intermix of both. Canada, land of many cultures, where Indian food and Québecois cheese curd cuisine happily fuse. It works.

In this Winnipeg Free Press article which unfortunately appears to be paylocked, but wasn’t last night, it’s reported when asked the RCMP refused to confirm the sleeping bag led to the discovery. They also denied they hired a Professional Trapper, as was reported by the Globe.

Traumatized Gillam, Fox Lake residents get back to life after manhunt

The Winnipeg free press has been reporting most of this story from Winnipeg. They only had boots on the ground in the last few days. I would trust the globe and mail who have been in gillam essentially from day 1.

If your family member was murdered and the killers getaway car was found and towed away but the surrounding area was left covered in potential evidence that the police chose not to touch for several weeks would you be praising their actions?

If a crime scene isn’t properly secured evidence can be tampered with, it can be stolen or new fake evidence can be added. The scene needs to be processed fully and a chain of command needs to be established to prove that no one came or left the crime scene since it was found.

Look at cases like Stephen Avery in Wisconsin where police likely tampered with evidence. Anyone could tamper with evidence in an unsecured crime scene so only deciding to process that scene weeks after it was found is careless and sloppy. I don’t care if you agree or not but call any detective bureau in the world and ask what they think. I’m happy to forgive a lot of their mistakes but it’s insane to leave a set of keys that have been carried cross country by a pair of murderers out in the elements for weeks.
What are they going to get off the keys? There won't be any DNA or fingerprints on them after the fire. Again, the Australian media making a mountain out of a molehill.

I also have never believed they killed Lucas and Chynna, and I am still so worried that the real murderer is still free to continue to murder. The police were too quick to ignore other people who should have been considered to be major persons of intrest, and who appear to not have even been followed up as a witness! The police appear to have jumped to conclusions and developed tunnel vision It is awful that they were responsible for the murder of Mr. Dyck, but that doesn't mean that any other recent murders should just be automatically attributed to them. I believe the police have not revealed evidence because they have none. They have also left it far to long to try to now follow up the other suspicious man, last to be seen with Chynna and Lucas, but for some reason completely ignored!

I know several people that travel these areas several times per year and I truly am frightened for them. There may be a killer with a gun on the loose out there that no one is even looking for.

If he doesn't exist why don't they just come out and say that to the public? So the person who reported seeing this "mystery man" ...
Alandra Hull, supervisor of Trevor Pierre, may have reported the mystery man. It is likely that no other witness or camera saw this vehicle along the Alaska Highway.

So even if he exists, he and his Jeep are well-hidden in the bush, or in a river, or a lake. He is unable to check the news or contact RCMP.

Yes, they were together. I just remember at the beginning of this week that they said they had found items directly tied to them near the shore earlier around when they found the boat, they didn't know if they were dead, but they didn't think they were a threat.

Edited to add: never have seen how close together but sure sounds like they were in the same spot.
I wonder how in heaven's name they would be certain that they were no longer a threat. This has to be the most baffling case I've encountered.

I don’t know the exact coordinates but it was in the water not far from where the bodies were later found. Again I have lots of only single sourced info I can’t share but that sleeping bag was instrumental in the belief they were no longer alive. At first the polices assumption was they may have drowned so I think it’s fair to expect at some point they were in the water.

Edit: I stand corrected on the location, I wasn’t there at the time and was more focused asking sources about other elements of the search, namely the boat and items found on the shore.

"The sleeping bag was spotted around 11 a.m. floating near Port Nelson, where the Nelson River spills into Hudson Bay."

How a river guide’s sharp eye, and a sleeping bag, triggered a search that ended the RCMP manhunt

Port Nelson is over 100 km from Sundance.

Alandra Hull, supervisor of Trevor Pierre, may have reported the mystery man. It is likely that no other witness or camera saw this vehicle along the Alaska Highway.

So even if he exists, he and his Jeep are well-hidden in the bush, or in a river, or a lake. He is unable to check the news or contact RCMP.
he could be an additional victim even. he is a important piece of the puzzle and should not be discarded.

even a house key. his wife likely wouldn't feel too safe with a key to her house laying on the ground.

As for the keys, I really doubt she was patiently waiting to eventually have the keys returned. The time to change door locks would be as soon as her husband was identified as the 3rd victim, knowing the murderer had access to all his keys.

As I replied to Otto I stand corrected. I had never paid much attention to the sleeping bag as I was busy trying to get info on the boat and items along the shore nearer where the bodies were ultimately found. I left Gillam late on Thursday the 1st so the exact order of events after that isn’t my area of expertise.

I just checked my correspondence from sources and on the evening that the sleeping bag was found two people believed the bodies were likely in Hudson Bay by now.
Actually the boat and the sleeping bag were located about 1km from the bodies according to this article:
Teen murder suspect fugitives never travelled far and probably not for long
Extract: "
On Friday, police found “that one critical piece of evidence,” she said — unspecified items directly linked to the suspects discovered on the shoreline of the Nelson River. A sleeping bag and a damaged boat were apparently among the items, community members said.

At about 10 a.m. local time, Wednesday, a specialized RCMP team found two bodies in dense brush, less than a kilometre from those items."

Do you know the taping date of this episode?

I'm thinking it would have to precede authorities recovering the bodies of BS and KM.

These shows are usually taped a month or so ahead.

I wish I did know the taping date, because I thought the same. I don't know however. But, if you look up the preview for the episode, AS is heard saying he has just lost his son, and knows how it feels to lose someone. So it seems as though it was filmed very recently, after Alan somehow knew his son was deceased.

ETA: Which would also be strange because I believe it still hasn't been officially confirmed that the 2 bodies found were those of Kam and Bryer's, but Alan would likely have information that hasn't been made officially public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member