Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Daily Fail was the first outlet to leave the story. They pulled out right after the york landing “sighting” and since then have reported the story remotely, most likely from their New York bureau. At this point most of their reporting is either speculation or just stolen old news. They shouldn’t really be considered a source on this story anymore IMO
Thank you--that's interesting and doesn't surprise me. The Daily Fail is always shaky, even at the best of times!

As answered above, we are sympatico on the quote rules, but we really are typically a confused mish mash on spelling and measurements.

How much do you weigh Canadian person?
I weigh *advertiser censored* pounds.

How much bologna would you like?
Oh just 250 grams please, because I already weigh *advertiser censored* pounds.

Maybe it’s not the bologna. How much flour and milk is there in your super size banana bread recipe?
Well it’s too hot to bake today because it’s 30 degrees outside, but there’s 12 cups of flour and a litre of milk.

How tall is your boyfriend in Toronto?
He’s 5’10. He wears size 12 shoes. They’re 29 cm long.

Cool. How far is Toronto?
4 hours.
This is interesting--thank you! I will admit that I was initially surprised that Bryer's and Kam's heights were given in feet and inches when they were reported missing (but eternally grateful I didn't have to convert metric measurements LOL). I hadn't realized Canadians tended to give heights that way, anyway.

Yeah that was a bit of an exaggeration...I've heard of much sketchier things. But what I meant is like, if back when I was a teenager I went to hang out with my friends and walked in on THAT, I would be like: Abe simpson

I also doubt that was an isolated incident. And I can see why Kam wouldn't drop Bryer as a friend over that kind of thing, because of how bonded they were after all those years. But even in that case if you have a lifelong friend, you love and care about them, etc. and you see them acting completely bizarre and sketchy, in most cases you would be like "dude wtf, are you okay?" The fact that Kam didn't, and didn't seem uncomfortable at all, indicates that he saw nothing wrong or disturbing about that behavior, even if he himself didn't engage in it.

Yeah that's what I've been saying the whole time. I don't get the sense that either of them were total remorseless, beyond redemption Ted Bundy sociopaths or anything. I mean, I could be wrong, and the evidence that comes out in the future will give more perspective on the matter, but that's just the sense I get. If I did think they were like that, I would probably have no interest in this case, since what is there to say about that.

I think they were lost, depressed and anxious, hated themselves and others, felt like outcasts, and were angry at the world. They made some awful, stupid, likely impulsive, possibly even drug-fueled (?) decisions and were too cowardly to face the consequences (well, kind of, I think committing suicide in the remote wilderness is pretty bad as far as consequences). They did clearly both have significant emotional disturbances but I think they could have been saved (maybe not made 100% mentally healthy, but at least not harming others or themselves) had someone noticed the signs that were years in the making of them going into a dark spiral.

Am I dreaming or is there an interview somewhere where an acquaintance was at a party and said they were surprised to see K hanging around with B. I think it was the same one where B was apparently snorting Ritalin.

I’m not convinced AS is a reliable source of information on the “childhood friend” thing as apparently he had no contact with B for several of those childhood years. I think he’s a story teller of whatever suits his own narrative.

Am I dreaming or is there an interview somewhere where an acquaintance was at a party and said they were surprised to see K hanging around with B. I think it was the same one where B was apparently snorting Ritalin.

I’m not convinced AS is a reliable source of information on the “childhood friend” thing as apparently he had no contact with B for several of those childhood years. I think he’s a story teller of what suits his own narrative best.

The Ritalin story (which wasn't a party, it was a camping trip) is detailed in the article that was posted a page or two back. I don't think that was the same incident as what you're talking about though.

I think other friends and family reported they were childhood friends too. I haven't heard any contradictions of that claim so I'm going to assume it's true unless indicated otherwise.

I’m not convinced AS is a reliable source of information on the “childhood friend” thing as apparently he had no contact with B for several of those childhood years. I think he’s a story teller of what suits his own narrative best.
I've not seen any interview where someone was surprised to see them together but would be interested in seeing it/reading it if it exists. Everything I have read has indicated they were very close friends for a long time and were frequently described as "inseparable." I get the impression those 2 were quite the united front and even by childhood best friend standards were super close.

Even in the 60 Minutes interview, the kid who was Kam's friend was asked if he ever saw Bryer with Kam, and his response was some variation of "Of course! They were best friends!"

I know AS has shaky credibility and was not always in his son's life, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much of what he said was confirmed by BS's great-uncle, which as far as I know is not a relation of AS., regarding lack of driver's license, Bryer hanging out at Kam's house instead of the other way around, Bryer being good friends with Kam, etc.

Bahahaha

I was actually wondering whether Canadians followed British usage or American usage with quotation marks. I assumed UK but am not sure.

UK generally from what I’ve seen. I make a point of it actually, but I’m only first generation Canadian.

The Ritalin story (which wasn't a party, it was a camping trip) is detailed in the article that was posted a page or two back. I don't think that was the same incident as what you're talking about though.

I think other friends and family reported they were childhood friends too. I haven't heard any contradictions of that claim so I'm going to assume it's true unless indicated otherwise.

Other than AS, who do you recall speaking to the media about the two being childhood friends?

I’m not saying the two were strangers. A place the size of Port Alberni, kids in the same grade or one grade higher or lower would certainly know each other. But I’m wondering if their friendship grew if they attended the alternate school together and gaming was the link.

I’m not convinced AS is a reliable source of information on the “childhood friend” thing as apparently he had no contact with B for several of those childhood years. I think he’s a story teller of whatever suits his own narrative.

I haven't seen anything suggesting Kam and Bryer weren't best friends or anything about someone being surprised they were hanging out. In the 60 minutes Australia episode from today, a friend of theirs(his name is escaping me now) that was interviewed said they were out together often and referred to them as best friends. They got jobs together at Walmart, which I'd think would mean they're quite close.. and a co-worker of theirs from Walmart also said that Kam appeared "uncomfortable" having close contact with anyone other than Bryer.. They set out on this trip together as well... I think it's pretty likely they really were very close.
jmo

You'd need someone who was RCMP. No one is going to come on here and say they are RCMP...and be verified. MOO.
Ha, funny and true, but I'd take the opinion of a lawyer, law student, social justice warrior, someone with a similar lived experience, prof, judge, clerk, para legal etc.

edited because something weird happened...

I haven't seen anything suggesting Kam and Bryer weren't best friends or anything about someone being surprised they were hanging out. In the 60 minutes Australia episode from today, a friend of theirs(his name is escaping me now) that was interviewed said they were together often and referred to them as best friends. They worked together at Walmart, which I'd think would mean they're quite close.. and a co-worker of theirs from Walmart also said that Kam appeared" uncomfortable" having close contact with anyone other than Bryer.. They set out on this trip together as well... I think it's pretty likely they really were very close.
jmo
Yes, there's a lot about this case that is odd and on the surface makes no sense, but I have no doubt in my mind that these 2 were like glue and considered each other the brother they never had.

The Daily Fail was the first outlet to leave the story. They pulled out right after the york landing “sighting” and since then have reported the story remotely, most likely from their New York bureau. At this point most of their reporting is either speculation or just stolen old news. They shouldn’t really be considered a source on this story anymore IMO

I wonder if that’s when they sent the reporter to shadow Alan Schmegelsky?

(Editing to add it was a 60 minutes Australia reporter, not Daily Mail).

Last edited:
I wonder if that’s when they sent the reporter to shadow Alan Schmegelsky?

I wasn’t aware they sent anyone to follow AS? Though I don’t really follow their “reporting” that closely.

This might be what I’m remembering as the teen commenting seems to be questioning the friendship of K and B due to B’s bizarre behaviour. I can guess which word [messed] replaced.

BBM

“Suddenly, behaviour that some who knew the teens had dismissed as simply odd or unsettling has taken on a grave new meaning. A teen in Port Alberni described hanging out with Mr. Schmegelsky and Mr. McLeod while they camped at Sproat Lake this spring, and said Mr. Schmegelsky was wearing a swastika armband and military fatigues, and using a replica Nazi knife to crush Ritalin tablets and snort them.

“I’m so dumbfounded that Kam would be a part of this,” said the teen, whom The Globe and Mail is not identifying by name because of his youth and his concern about being associated with Mr. Schmegelsky. (The Globe conducted the interview with the knowledge of the teen’s father.) “If it is true, I’d be surprised about Kam, but I would not be surprised about Bryer. Let’s just put it this way, he was a little bit [messed] up in the mind.”...”
Searching for answers: Sense of unease lingers in B.C.’s isolated north as police hunt suspects in remote killings

Last edited:
I wonder why the RCMP didn't mention anything about the last time KM or BS's phones were used? Obviously, they could track their movements from the pings. Seems like their keeping that information under wraps too.
They may have turned off their own phones on July 12.

This might be what I’m remembering as the teen commenting seems to be questioning the friendship of K and B due to B’s bizarre behaviour. I can guess which word [messed] replaced.

BBM

“Suddenly, behaviour that some who knew the teens had dismissed as simply odd or unsettling has taken on a grave new meaning. A teen in Port Alberni described hanging out with Mr. Schmegelsky and Mr. McLeod while they camped at Sproat Lake this spring, and said Mr. Schmegelsky was wearing a swastika armband and military fatigues, and using a replica Nazi knife to crush Ritalin tablets and snort them.

“I’m so dumbfounded that Kam would be a part of this,” said the teen, whom The Globe and Mail is not identifying by name because of his youth and his concern about being associated with Mr. Schmegelsky. (The Globe conducted the interview with the knowledge of the teen’s father.) “If it is true, I’d be surprised about Kam, but I would not be surprised about Bryer. Let’s just put it this way, he was a little bit [messed] up in the mind.”...”
Searching for answers: Sense of unease lingers in B.C.’s isolated north as police hunt suspects in remote killings
I have seen several of their acquaintances express real surprise that Kam would be involved but say that Bryer doesn't surprise them. As I've said before, I think Kam did a better job of hiding his darker side. He certainly didn't seem disturbed by the disturbing things that Bryer did.

BBM

I wish I could read that article.

I wasn’t aware they sent anyone to follow AS? Though I don’t really follow their “reporting” that closely.
I think it's actually a 60 Minutes Australia reporter who's been following him around. I think he mailed copies of his book to different news outlets and the Daily Fail, of course, was one of the ones who went to press about it. But to my knowledge, there's not a DM reporter who has been in close contact with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810