Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is another reason they stopped killing. Despite the police saying they had no remorse, I think they (or one of them) either got a shred of it or just didn’t want to kill anymore.
No. After they were stopped by the big fast river, they recorded a video about going back to kill some people. Check the map, they actually turned back, but couldn't make it more than 100 yards.

Could be some same-aged young woman who was creeped out by one or both of them. Pure speculation of course. However, young women are often the unwilling soundboards of men, but society has trained them to be polite, so often they smile and nod instead of telling the other party where to go!!
That young woman will trust her instincts for the rest of her life.

I do not believe for one moment that this will be the only report to emerge of them being anything but 'good boys' , 'romantic', misunderstood', 'edgy and cool,' and all that kind of stuff. They had been at this game a long time, well practiced and loving it.

Can I just ask.. . no disrespect, but is Geography still taught in Canadian schools? even in the alternative schools? I know it was dropped in Californian schools some time ago and I have indeed met some of the unfortunate recipients of that decision, but I want to know if that is the case in Western Canada?

Yes. It is part of the B.C. Curriculum.

It would have been EASY to find more victims. They knew people stop for vehicles pulled over in remote areas, it already happened to them. All they needed to do was pull over, pop the hood and wave down a vehicle. Someone would stop fairly quickly. Voila, next victim. There is another reason they stopped killing. Despite the police saying they had no remorse, I think they (or one of them) either got a shred of it or just didn’t want to kill anymore.
It would have been easier to kill close to home too, it just didn't fit in with their plans, they didn't suddenly grow a conscience. They said in their video they wanted to kill more people, that's a fact, no use trying to humanize them.

One killing is too many, why isn't 3 seen as shocking, even moreso now we've learned the brutality of these killings. Lucas & Chynna shot multiple times! Leonard shot and beaten and burned! Is there some kind of quota which makes them more of a monster then they already are? Why make up scenarios for more ways to kill? I don't get it.

It would have been easier to kill close to home too, it just didn't fit in with their plans, they didn't suddenly grow a conscience. They said in their video they wanted to kill more people, that's a fact, no use trying to humanize them.

One killing is too many, why isn't 3 seen as shocking, even moreso now we've learned the brutality of these killings. Lucas & Chynna shot multiple times! Leonard shot and beaten and burned! Is there some kind of quota which makes them more of a monster then they already are? Why make up scenarios for more ways to kill? I don't get it.
I'd long thought they either ran out of opportunities or lost their taste for it and wasn't sure without more information on them.

After the press conference today, I am 100% sure they just probably never got that chance again. They seemed to have a definite preference for isolated vehicles on the side of the road, on remote roads, no less, at night. I'd say as they traveled, they just never encountered that again--from what I gather from posters here, that is less common in other provinces to pull over on the side of the road to sleep and I think news of the murders probably made people more cautious as well. Everyone else who saw them seems to have done so in daylight, with witnesses, or in public spaces, so I don't think they were going to try anything in those circumstances.

I am very glad nothing happened to the Beardy family as they stood by the burning Rav4. :( I think Kam and Bryer must have been in the woods by then.

Last edited:
I know it's not a laughing matter but I almost laughed out loud when I read that part. They really were living in their own little world.
Me too, I have to say my brain said "maybe they did make it to Alaska after Haines Junction but couldn't see Russia so they headed east and tried for Europe/Africa via the Bay. Though airplane fares to Europe and Africa would have been much cheaper.".....okay back to serious now

These two were so dumb, that I could justify imagine them burning LD’s vehicle, looking at each other, and one of them saying “whoops, now we don’t have a car. What do we do now?”
Would seem that way, except for the fact these two 'dumb' guys managed to kill 3 people in cold blood and trek across one territory and 4 provinces and that is what's so frightening. They had horseshoes up "there" without doubt

They wouldn't have made it in Africa either. There are teens who grew up during wars, in refugee camps, who still aspire to lead a normal life with bare minimum resources.

I cringed at all the sympathetic remarks earlier.

Lucas, Chynna, and Prof. Dyck will be remembered in many ways, as their lives inspire others to travel and enjoy nature. We must not be afraid.
Yep, it is cringeworthy, there'll still be more to come though, unfortunately. :(

I agree, no need to be afraid, live life to the fullest! :)

I think they were too scared: cowards at heart. Sneaking up on people asleep in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, with no possible witnesses or cell reception if the victims got away from them, and by the highway so they could leave the scene instantly at high speed: that they could do. I think they were too afraid of people in houses with locks and cell phones, other people nearby to witness and chase after them, people with their own guns, dogs, police, helicopters, etc.

I absolutely think they were cowards. They had two guns when they boarded a BC ferry during the busy summer months. These ferries are big. If they intended to kill many people, there was the "perfect" opportunity. But they waited until they could pick people off like deranged hunters, and probably making sure they suffered - all in the dead of night, or when they couldn't be seen. (I ride the ferries quite frequently and am always on edge when I do so. There are so many crazies out there.)

No. After they were stopped by the big fast river, they recorded a video about going back to kill some people. Check the map, they actually turned back, but couldn't make it more than 100 yards.
I mean along the whole route, not just at the end. They had many days where they could have easily picked off people but for some reason, chose not to.

>>On July 17, 2019, at approximately 11:40 p.m., a witness was driving westbound on Alaska Highway and pulled off the road into a pullout to take a nap. This was located approximately 30 minutes west from Haines Junction Petro Canada and 2 hours 10 minutes west of Whitehorse. Within 5 minutes of being parked, a truck with camper drove past him and stopped about 50 yards ahead. An unknown male got out of the passenger side of the truck holding a long gun. The male walked towards the tree line and started moving towards the witness in a tactical or hunting stance. The truck also started driving slowly towards the witness. The witness drove away from the armed male and drove past the truck. The driver covered his face with his hand and the witness was not able to see the driver’s face. [Although the witness described the truck as being a white GMC, the time, location and male descriptions fit McLeod and Schmegelsky. The witness made the report to police on July 21, 2019.]On July 18, 2019 at 3:03 p.m., McLeod and Schmegelsky made purchases at a store in Dease Lake as previously mentioned.<<

RCMP in British Columbia - Overview of Fort Nelson and Dease Lake Homicide Investigation
WOW, that blows my mind. So there goes the theory that they accidentally killed someone then had to continue on in that the way. They were downright hunting random prey. wow.

I actually still don't think Kam was a psychopath. I think he was more of a Dylan Klebold type (except less self aware).

Well we still disagree about that and that's ok lol... I mentioned earlier about that movie Elephant which was loosely based on Columbine but in the movie the one shooter shoots his friend then himself. I wonder if K&B ever saw that movie...

ETA - oops! I typed 'agree' instead of 'disagree'

Last edited:

I’m responding to the comment that they didn’t kill because they didn’t have the perfect victim after the murders. They could have easily killed more people in a similar fashion.

I just see a change in their behaviour after LD’s murder for no apparent reason. They had the means but maybe not the motive.

Who said the murders weren’t brutal and shocking??

I mean along the whole route, not just at the end. They had many days where they could have easily picked off people but for some reason, chose not to.
They probably looked for easy victims, stopped beside the road, with no other traffic for a long stretch in either direction. That trucker could have been the third victim, if he was already asleep.

They may have been spooked by the encounter with the highway traffic control guy. If it was another easy victim, ... you get the idea.

Once they decided to go to Hudson Bay, they probably didn't look for victims along the road. They drove almost continuously.

They were again spooked at Split Lake, by the band constables. Our hero Mr. Beardy may have been the lucky beneficiary. After Bird, they didn't have any chance.

I’m responding to the comment that they didn’t kill because they didn’t have the perfect victim after the murders. They could have easily killed more people in a similar fashion.

I just see a change in their behaviour after LD’s murder for no apparent reason. They had the means but maybe not the motive.

Who said the murders weren’t brutal and shocking??

One would think they would have definitely killed more people, due to the escalation in violence? Leonards death was extremely brutal and completely random, I see why the family wanted to keep the information private. RCMP originally thought he had died due to blunt force trauma due to the severity of his wounds (burns and bruises on his head and body), before they found the single gunshot wound.

One would think they would have definitely killed more people, due to the escalation in violence? Leonards death was extremely brutal, I see why the family wanted to keep the information private. RCMP originally thought he had died due to blunt force trauma due to the severity of his wounds (burns and bruises on his head and body), before they found the single gunshot wound.
That was really horrifying and I also totally understand why his family wished to keep information on that private. :(

They probably looked for easy victims, stopped beside the road, with no other traffic for a long stretch in either direction. That trucker could have been the third victim, if he was already asleep.

They may have been spooked by the encounter with the highway traffic control guy. If it was another easy victim, ... you get the idea.

Once they decided to go to Hudson Bay, they probably didn't look for victims along the road. They drove almost continuously.

They were again spooked at Split Lake, by the band constables. Our hero Mr. Beardy may have been the lucky beneficiary. After Bird, they didn't have any chance.
They hung around Whitehorse for a couple of days. There are numerous pullouts where people are camped every night from Whitehorse to HJ. They had plenty of opportunities.

Where they were pulled over and the Hwy guy stopped is actually in a busy area, so he would have never been a target.

One would think they would have definitely killed more people, due to the escalation in violence? Leonards death was extremely brutal and completely random, I see why the family wanted to keep the information private. RCMP originally thought he had died due to blunt force trauma due to the severity of his wounds (burns and bruises on his head and body), before they found the single gunshot wound.
That’s what throws me off, is the sudden stop in murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper