GUILTY Canada - Man, 26, beaten, tortured, starved, Regina, Sask, 16 April 2010

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Makes you wonder how tragically close this all came to be averted, to no avail.

I cannot belive the 911 call was 7 minutes long, yet resulted in no immediate action!

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 | 3:07 PM CST

The man accused of assaulting Dustin LaFortune now faces more criminal charges.

At a news conference in Calgary on Wednesday afternoon, police announced that Dustin Paxton has been charged with forcible confinement and aggravated assault on a Calgary girl.
The date of the alleged offences and age of the alleged victim were not released.

A seven-minute 911 call to Calgary police on Feb. 28 about the LaFortune matter, the handling of which is now being reviewed, was not made by the young female victim associated with the additional charges just announced, police said.

This story is closed to commenting.

Early 911 call ignored in LaFortune torture case

Months before assault victim Dustin LaFortune showed up at a Regina hospital disfigured and emaciated, someone in Calgary made a seven-minute 911 call related to the case that was never acted on, officials confirmed Wednesday.

The caller's identity is not known, and police are asking for members of the public with information to come forward, officials said.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/09/01/calgary-lafortune-paxton-911-torture-call.html

So how about this for random, totally-uneducated-opinion:

Dustin & Dustin are partners. Dustin L. has a drug problem, and this is why he has lost so much weight and his appearance is so haggard. They have some really shady connections and Dustin L. has gotten beaten up on occasion (the previous hospital visit.) Since it's drug-related, he's going to have a cover story.

On the fateful night, Dustin L. is beaten near-death, and Dustin P. drops him off to get help so he won't die - and takes off to save his own butt, knowing that whomever got Dustin L. will be after him, too.

Perhaps the family either truly believes Dustin P. is to blame, or want to pin it on him due to not accepting their son/brother is gay. They want Dustin to get the best care and those responsible brought to justice - but might be hiding a few things about him to enhance his public "image."

What I can't necessarily place in this hypothesis is the noises heard by the neighbors. And of course not to overlook the testimony, but my gut says it's not the instigating event here.

There's a blog out there with some interesting comments - but I can't recall if linking to blogs is acceptable or not. I googled "Dustin Paxton" and did some reading on the top hits.

(Everything in this post is OPINION.)

ETA: I guess I didn't really need to quote you on that, tlcox, but I'm still learning the ways around here. :)

My brain is going places too because I always have to not only know why a person ends up in a situation but how they ended up in the situation. Things don't just happen.. I have lived a very desperate life and made some sad, sick and odd choices but I made 'em for a reason. Perhaps we don't know our reasons at the time but there is something underlying. Why does any person stay when they are being abused? Why don't they ask for help or tell someone? Abuse is a strange thing- does funky things to your mind.. you start to doubt everything you think, feel and say. If you already had a funky mind (low self esteem, abused as a child or something like that) it could IMO end up a looking like this. For some reason he didn't leave and I feel most bad for him for that part of it. With everyone talking about this, questioning (which is totally normal for us to do!) it he must be struggling with himself so much asking himself over and over "why didn't I leave, WTF?" I have the feeling he is probably about as in the dark as we are as to why he stayed. I wish I could hug him! Everytime I look at those pics I cry.. That dude who did that is a sick, sick person and I hope he pays dearly for this. THESE are the types of people IMO that should get the death penalty! You cannot FIX that. That's a sick dude!

I hope one day we will know the "why" but I understand his family probably feels we have no to right to know and I respect that. Something freaky was going on- i'd like to smack that neighbor who never called the cops!

From CTV:

A man who is facing various charges in the case of alleged torture victim Dustin LaFortune is facing similar charges connected to a female who is under the age of 18.

Calgary police say Dustin Paxton faces charges of aggravated assault and forcible confinement of the unnamed minor.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100901/lafortune-911-call-100901/

OK, I'm going to speculate that this occurred AFTER what happened in Regina with LaFortune. WTH is wrong with this picture?????? If LE had put Paxton's photo out there to speak with him r.e. LaFortune, I'm guessing this evil may not have happened to another person. :banghead:

My brain is going places too because I always have to not only know why a person ends up in a situation but how they ended up in the situation. Things don't just happen.. I have lived a very desperate life and made some sad, sick and odd choices but I made 'em for a reason. Perhaps we don't know our reasons at the time but there is something underlying. Why does any person stay when they are being abused? Why don't they ask for help or tell someone? Abuse is a strange thing- does funky things to your mind.. you start to doubt everything you think, feel and say. If you already had a funky mind (low self esteem, abused as a child or something like that) it could IMO end up a looking like this. For some reason he didn't leave and I feel most bad for him for that part of it. With everyone talking about this, questioning (which is totally normal for us to do!) it he must be struggling with himself so much asking himself over and over "why didn't I leave, WTF?" I have the feeling he is probably about as in the dark as we are as to why he stayed. I wish I could hug him! Everytime I look at those pics I cry.. That dude who did that is a sick, sick person and I hope he pays dearly for this. THESE are the types of people IMO that should get the death penalty! You cannot FIX that. That's a sick dude!

I hope one day we will know the "why" but I understand his family probably feels we have no to right to know and I respect that. Something freaky was going on- i'd like to smack that neighbor who never called the cops!

I agree. This is not just an isolated incident where someone is testing their limits in a relationship with a freind, there is serious pathology here. I can't phathom why someone would feel the need to confine and torture the people in his life. I wonder what happened to him earlier on that made him turn out to be such a sociopath/sadist!

Also, IIRC they moved out of a house they were living at in one area of Canada and moved into an apartment in a different area shortly after the date this 911 call was made. I wonder if the abuser was running?
:idea:

From CTV:

A man who is facing various charges in the case of alleged torture victim Dustin LaFortune is facing similar charges connected to a female who is under the age of 18.

Calgary police say Dustin Paxton faces charges of aggravated assault and forcible confinement of the unnamed minor.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20100901/lafortune-911-call-100901/

OK, I'm going to speculate that this occurred AFTER what happened in Regina with LaFortune. WTH is wrong with this picture?????? If LE had put Paxton's photo out there to speak with him r.e. LaFortune, I'm guessing this evil may not have happened to another person. :banghead:

I don't think we should assume it was after. It could have very well been before or at the same time. Him being arrested may have given the victim the courage to come forward. She may have been afraid to report him while he was still on the loose. However, I agree that he should have been locked up much sooner.

Apparently the abuse took place simultaneously. This guy is extremely sick, I am glad he won't be able to hurt anyone else, at least for the time being.

"Psychiatric Evaluation Order for Torture Case Suspect"

images

Suspect Dustin Paxton

By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald September 3, 2010 11:19 AM

A 30-day psychiatric assessment has been ordered for a Calgary man now facing two charges in connection with the alleged assault and confinement of an underaged girl last year.

Provincial court Judge Heather Lamoureux ordered the assessment for Dustin Ward Paxton, 30, after he made his first appearance on Friday morning by closed-circuit television on the charges of aggravated assault and forcible confinement against the girl.

According to court documents, the assaults occurred between Jan. 30 and March 15, 2009.

Paxton is accused of assaulting the young victim in a Calgary house at the same time as he allegedly tortured his 26-year-old roommate and business partner, who also cannot be named...

Read more at link

Also, it has been reported that this young girl did not report the abuse herself, rather the possibility of the crime came to police attention the course of their investigation. The police are the one's who approached her.

"The Calgary girl never reported the allegations to police. Instead, they learned about her involvement while investigating allegations of the lengthy beating, mutilation and sexual abuse of a 26-year-old man dumped near death at a Regina hospital in April."

Thank you to the WSers that have been so devoted to following this case and keeping us updated. Justice for all of this evil man's victims, and especially for Mr. LaFortune.

Since Canada doesn't have the death penalty, I hope this evil thing is never let out of prison.

bumping for Dustin and hoping his recovering is going well.

I've been reading and following along, but two points stick out for me after the latest events. How did he manage to meet and control a minor? Wasn't her family searching for her?

I wonder if there will be any charges brought against the neighbor, who bothered to tape the abuse, but didn't report it?

Sunnie--I'm struck with the possibility that it could be the exact same scenario we've seen with the five men recently arrested and charged by the FBI in Missouri concerning the girl who was lured, at age 16, into a 7 year ordeal of total tortuous hell. All it takes is low self-esteem, a cognitive dysfunction, or a lapse of judgement to be reeled in. There's many who never escape.

I think Dustin and the young woman in Missouri are the exceptions. They will be the ones to tell the story.

More psych testing for alleged torturer
By Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

Last Updated: October 1, 2010 5:31pm

CALGARY *- Torture suspect Dustin Ward Paxton will undergo further psychiatric testing to determine if he is fit to stand trial.

Paxton's lawyer, Jim Lutz, appeared briefly in provincial court Friday, where he said Dr. Kenneth Hashman needs more time to assess his client.

As a result, Judge Anne Brown ordered Paxton be returned to the Southern Alberta Forensic Psychiatry Centre so Hashman can complete his testing.

Paxton, 30, was charged after a Calgary man was brutally assaulted and dumped off at a Regina hospital in April.

The 26-year-old victim, whom QMI Agency is not naming, weighed just 87 pounds and was suffering from broken bones and other gruesome injuries, including having part of his lips and tongue cut off.

Paxton faces charges of aggravated assault, unlawful confinement and sexual assault in connection with the injuries, which are alleged to have been inflicted sometime between Dec. 1, 2008, and March 2, 2010

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/10/01/15549756.html

Psychiatrist granted more time to assess torture accused
By Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald October 1, 2010

CALGARY — A 30-day extension of a psychiatric assessment has been made for a man facing charges of allegedly torturing his 26-year-old roommate and business partner last year and assaulting and confining an under-aged girl.

Provincial court Judge Anne Brown granted the extension for Dustin Ward Paxton at the request of defence lawyer Jim Lutz on Friday.

Lutz said Dr. Kenneth Hashman, a psychiatrist at the Southern Alberta Forensic Psychiatric Centre, required further time to assess his client.

The initial assessment was made for Paxton, 30, after he made his first appearance on Sept. 3 by closed-circuit television on charges of aggravated assault and forcible confinement between Jan. 30 and March 15, 2009.

"Dustin is in agreement that it would be nice to get the whole picture in court," Lutz said outside court. "I just talked to him this morning and he's relaxed, he seems to be focused on the issues

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Ps...ture+accused/3610307/story.html#ixzz13JBLgeFv

TY mystic, for those updates. I am glad to see this young man's hideous abuse has not been forgotten.

I think the psych evals are going to show that the perp is a sadist, nothing more nothing less and I sincerely hope he is not given a pass due to "mental defect" or insanity.

A third victim??!? I guess that shouldn't surprise me. This is one sick puppy. I hope the victims all come forward, this beast needs to be put away until his miserable death.

It really frightens me that some of this monster's victims didn't live to tell the tale. If there's three, there's probably more.

I'm very anxious to read about this man's childhood and upbringing. If anyone sees any earlier info on him, can you please post it. I noticed that he was ordered to have a psych eval in 2006 and never did. Do we know why?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seasonofthewolf
Back