GUILTY Canada - Marc, 42, Debra, 48, & Jacob Richardson, 8, slain, Medicine Hat, 23 Apr 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
S finch...you said.....

My daughter has done things and said things that totally defy logic (to me, anyway) and are 100% not the way she was raised, but she's always been totally stubborn and no matter how much I reprimanded her (spanking, time out, taking away priveledges, etc...) she would look me in the eye and defy me some more. To this day I'm not sure my daughter doesn't suffer from one of the illnesses I listed above, and we've sent her to counseling and offered to go also, had her own meds,,,,,but the only way she learns a lesson is the hard way so we're having to let life teach her the hard way.

For a minute I thought that you were talking about the granddaughter that I raised...lol. She is almost 19 yrs now and has really straightened out her life but it was no picnic while she was growing up. Talk about strong willed. She was that way from the time she was a little girl. Nothing worked with her either. It didn't do any good to put her on restriction because she wouldn't stay on it. She would tell me "it's my life and I'm going to live it the way I want and there is nothing that you can do about it. If I make mistakes..I'm the one responsible for them and I'll face the consequences. You can't tell me what I can and can't do!" She made a lot of mistakes and after a while I just sat back and waited for it to come to a head. She ended up spending 3 weeks in detention and she decided to make some changes! Towards the end she even told the judge that she was going to change and she wasn't going to be mean to her grandmother anymore. She was getting close to 18 then and her P.O. told her that after she turned 18 it wouldn't be detention but jail and she really wouldn't like that. Thank God she has straightened out and we have a close relationship now.

I don't think our two girls are the only ones in this day and age who have been this way. I've talked to to many parents who have pulled their hair out over the behavior of their teenagers. It isn't the same now as it was even when I was raising my four. They were a picnic compared to my granddaughter! A lot of kids just feel that it is their due to do what ever they want and we should just let them.

The next time I want to cry over something my daughter does or says, I'm going to look back on this thread and be thankful for her just the way she is!

Someone earlier asked about the Gothic dressing kids and I wanted to let them know that it really is just some bad seeds that are like that. My daughter went to a church group for awhile and I recall the first time she was invited, she had on a Maralyn Manson T-Shirt, black and red jeans with chains and bondage straps on them, and a black collar (like leather dog collar.) I told her we'd have to go change for church and she said she didn't have to. I was confused, but drove her to church and there were about twenty five kids - all dressed like hoodlums with pincushion faces and even tattoos - heavy metal concert shirts, jeans and all kinds of gothic looking makeup and hair.... all waiting for church group to start!

(I have to admit, I did ask a parent if it was a God based church....) ha ha!

Out of a few dozen friends my daughter has, only one has been into trouble for drugs, shoplifting and she lied alot, and the minute they discovered this about the girl- she was dropped as a friend like a hot potato.

It's not the clothes, the music, the friends or the makeup.

My daughter gets a MASSIVE kick out of dressing like that, and then maybe being in a mall or waiting room and helping a Mother entertain their young child, or helping someone tie down something on the roof of their car, or helping them pick up what was dropped or clean up what was spilled. She said they always accept the help, but always express how unexpected it was that someone dressed like her would be like her.

I have to admit, once she was accused of stealing something at school by a teacher and she was in tears. I had to tell her that when you dress like that, people assume things about you and you have to accept that about them if you want to dress like that. She was vindicated, but still, it hurt her feelings to be accused.

:-) There are nutcase kids in ambercrombie and finch, nutcase kids in gothic clothing and probably nut case kids who are naked for all I know! :-)

Guess what, the girl decided to kill her parents, she is responsible, not the parents, not the brother.

In her mind, killing the parents benefited her and only her, you can do the best job of raising your kids, but in the end it is the choices the make for themselves that they are responsible for.

The girl wanted total freedom, and thought that killing her parents would ensure that goal.

Like the boy that killed his entire family, so no one else would inherit his Dad's money, he wanted to have all of the money for him, without working hard, like his Dad did, it is all selfish and self centered.

Guess what, the girl decided to kill her parents, she is responsible, not the parents, not the brother.

In her mind, killing the parents benefited her and only her, you can do the best job of raising your kids, but in the end it is the choices the make for themselves that they are responsible for.

The girl wanted total freedom, and thought that killing her parents would ensure that goal.

Like the boy that killed his entire family, so no one else would inherit his Dad's money, he wanted to have all of the money for him, without working hard, like his Dad did, it is all selfish and self centered.

I agree. People are (should be) responsible for their OWN behavior - regardless of what anyone else does. Even teenagers.

I think society is partially to blame.

A recent study has shown that kids are more narcissitic as a whole because of the "you're special" crap that has been fed to them as the new parenting of the 80's took place and shows like Mr. Rogers etc.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/305247_students27.html

I've always said, if you want to build self-esteem, you have to do something you'll be proud of. You can't just sit around and feel good about yourself for no reason - that leads to narcissism. You aren't entitled to be "special" and if you want attention, do something positive to earn it.

It is VERY hard for parents to combat an adult seeing their child. My niece recently went through this with her daughter: daughter 17 and man/boy 23. She was grounded, picked up from school, everything they could do. They found out he bought her a cell phone she kept hidden from her parents. These boys have jobs and money and can afford. He would pick her up from school at lunch or sneak to see her when she was at cheerleading practice or other school activities. Finally she figured out he was a stalker and after she dumped him, he continued to stalk her. Luckily she had many guy friends that protected her at all times and I think the guy has moved away and given up, but she's always watching her back.

She's 19 now.

Society is to blame....please.

Some kids get everything they want because their parents want to feel good about themselves, buy the kids love and affection, feel their kid will miss out if they don't have the latest and greatest of items and the parents need to feel an increase in self esteem to show off their money. Or they do so out of guilt because they work long hours for the lifestyle.

It is the parents that set examples for kids. Too many parents are concerned with what people think of them, and do not show their kids that they do not need to be concerned with looks, money, material possession. What they need to work on is what is on the inside.

40 hours of community service is required by every high school kid in our province to graduate high school.

This girl thought she could solve her problems and get what she wanted by killing her parents. She made the choice, not society.

Society does no owe anyone anything.

I think society is partially to blame.

A recent study has shown that kids are more narcissitic as a whole because of the "you're special" crap that has been fed to them as the new parenting of the 80's took place and shows like Mr. Rogers etc.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/305247_students27.html

I've always said, if you want to build self-esteem, you have to do something you'll be proud of. You can't just sit around and feel good about yourself for no reason - that leads to narcissism. You aren't entitled to be "special" and if you want attention, do something positive to earn it.

It is VERY hard for parents to combat an adult seeing their child. My niece recently went through this with her daughter: daughter 17 and man/boy 23. She was grounded, picked up from school, everything they could do. They found out he bought her a cell phone she kept hidden from her parents. These boys have jobs and money and can afford. He would pick her up from school at lunch or sneak to see her when she was at cheerleading practice or other school activities. Finally she figured out he was a stalker and after she dumped him, he continued to stalk her. Luckily she had many guy friends that protected her at all times and I think the guy has moved away and given up, but she's always watching her back.

She's 19 now.

I agree that society is WAY different than when I was growing up and it does have an affect, but Mr. Rogers?????? No way. Mr. Rogers was during my childhood, my kids wouldn't watch him, he was too old timey for them.

Society is to blame....please.

Some kids get everything they want because their parents want to feel good about themselves, buy the kids love and affection, feel their kid will miss out if they don't have the latest and greatest of items and the parents need to feel an increase in self esteem to show off their money. Or they do so out of guilt because they work long hours for the lifestyle.

It is the parents that set examples for kids. Too many parents are concerned with what people think of them, and do not show their kids that they do not need to be concerned with looks, money, material possession. What they need to work on is what is on the inside.

40 hours of community service is required by every high school kid in our province to graduate high school.

This girl thought she could solve her problems and get what she wanted by killing her parents. She made the choice, not society.

Society does no owe anyone anything.

I agree with most of what you've said, but have you watched teen tv or movies lately?? Or listened to the words (yes, there are words but to understand them you have to google them) to the songs. I remember being totally shocked as a kid when "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" movie was on tv when the scene came on with what's her face unbuttoning her corset at gun point. I'd never seen something so close to *advertiser censored* in my life! Two nights ago I was watching "Top Models" with my 15 year old and one of the commercials had a quick blip of a girl pole dancing, another had a pair of briefs with it's member standing at attention as the classroom of other undies laughed and at during "Top Models" these teenage girls posed topless, only covering the necessities with their hands/arms. This is what our kids watch every day, that and much, much worse.

Wow, after reading a snippet that Jeremy wroe on his Windows Live profile (from the link posted above), it sure looks apparent that HE was the driving force behind the murder plot.

Quoted from his Windows Live profile:

Perhaps the most telling profile Jeremy kept was at Windows Live Spaces. On April 3, 2006, he wrote:

"Payment! My Lover's rents are totally unfair; they say that they really care; they don't know what is going on the [sic] just assume. As their greed continues to consume, she is slowly going insane. She continues to thank that I came, into her life to help her out, and to stop what they keep trying to shout. It's all total . Their throats I want to slit. They will regret the *advertiser censored* they have done. Especially when I see to it that they are gone. They shall pay for their insulince [sic]. Finally there shall be silence. Their blood shall be payment!"

End quote.

Wow. He had alot of hatred for her parents. No doubt he groomed her for his plan to come to fruition.

This is pretty telling as well. From the link to Jeremy's profile provided by eleven:

I live inside an Ice Empire,
where my heart is cold & shelterd,
I wish I could find a queen,
who i can trust to melt it,
who can light my way,
through the darkness of day,
and save this kingdom from falling!

She kept on telling people that she wanted her parents dead. It would give them both the freedom they both wanted, he could see her without constraint and she could see him. They feed off each other. But like Karla Holmolka and her husband, he raped before he meet her, but they were both very disturbed and when they teamed up, she "condoned" what he did, participated in it, maybe on their own they would not of, but together, they were evil and and killed two innocent two girls in a terrible manner.

We have always "helped" our kids choose programs that are age appropriate. That is what the ratings are for. As for music, I doubt that will influence them, if you actually raise your kids with good values and morals. I HATE the oldest music, just hate it, but he is 15, a good kid and I doubt this music will change that.

A sitter allowed our oldest to watch Titanic when he was quite young. He was only about 8. Well when I was tucking him in, he was crying for the people that died. I spoke to the sitter and told her that he was way too young to watch movies like that.

A women allowed her 5 year old to watch Superman the movie, and he got out of control, jumping, imitating the characters, well what does one expect.

Violent movies and programs sell. So does sex. But it up to the parents to advise their kids, talk to their kids about what they watch and hear.

I don't blame society and I don't blame the parents, I blame the people who are and were on trial.

Medicine Hat murder house sells for $219,000

Updated Wed. Aug. 22 2007 4:07 PM ET
Canadian Press
MEDICINE HAT, Alta. -- A home that was the scene of one of Canada's most infamous murders has been sold after being listed for just over two weeks.
The Medicine Hat, Alta., house where a 13-year-old girl killed her parents and younger brother has been empty since the April 2006 crime.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070822/murder_house_070822/20070822?hub=Canada

The girl became Canada's youngest convicted multiple killer when a jury found her guilty in July on three first-degree murder charges.
She was to be sentenced Thursday, but will have to wait until Oct. 22 to hear her fate.

Also, from http://pysih.com/2007/06/21/jeremy-allan-steinke-and-jasmine-richardson/ (nice reads, btw):

She faces a maximum of 6 years imprisonment and 4 years of probation, which is the maximum penalty for a person under 14 years of age.

I have lived and breathed this case since the day this poor family was found murdered.In April of 2006 Jeremy and his so called 12 year old girlfriend murdered her whole family because they were trying to keep them apart.At the time he was 23.In Canada we cannot mention the girls name,many US newspapers have done so because the laws are different.She recieved the maximum sentence allowed for a youth in Canada at her trial last year , six years in custody followed by four years of supervision. She will be free at age 22. Her record will follow her for another five years, until she is 27.

To show how sick this pair was here is a snip from an article from 2006:

But a darker side of Steinke emerged across town, where two of his friends described how he professed to be a 300-year-old werewolf and that he liked the taste of blood.
At the last full moon, Steinke warned an acquaintance not to come for a walk with him and a friend along the river.
"He said, 'I wouldn't suggest it...we'll tear you limb from limb,' " said Daniel Clark, a 22-year-old who knew Steinke for about five weeks.
"I said, 'Excuse me?' And he said, 'Yeah. I'll eat you.' And I said, 'You come near me, and I swear to God, I have a baseball bat in my shop. I'll beat you up.'"

Link

Jury selection begins tomorrow.

Thanks for the update on this! I followed this crime extremely closely too, when it happened. Any updates on the girl? (I don't want to mention her name either)...I know she's in prison, I just wonder how she's doing as far as remorse, getting the proper help she needs, etc. Either this girl was just pure evil or just VERY easily influenced by Jeremy.

jmo

Hi Panda, she just had an annual review of her sentence and her lawyer is asking for more freedom.Yeah right.Apparently her psycholigical analysis wasn't as positive as they had hoped.Basically I read in one newspaper that she is as cold as the day it happened and shows no remorse.

Within 6 years she will be out,she could be my neighbour.But I will never ever forget her or let others forget who she is.I believe we can call her JR and get away with it.

Well the jury is picked 6 men & 6 women,the trial starts monday.

It was a murder that shocked the country, a 42-year-old man, his 48-year-old wife and 8-year-old son found brutally murdered in the family home in Medicine Hat.

The couple's 12-year-old daughter and her boyfriend Jeremy Steinke, were both charged with 3 counts of first degree murder in the crime.

link

It all kicks off this morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vika2155